Digimon 20th Anniversary Countdown

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The official Digimon website from Bandai has put up a countdown for the upcoming 20th Anniversary of the website.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The countdown has 45 days left (as of the time of this post.)

The image we've put of course is just a snapshot, it will not update, but you can check the official site for a counter.

Not much information yet, but it ends shortly into 2017.

We already knew we'd get anniversary V-Pets, what else could we be getting?

Treble-Clef

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With Next -0rder- coming out in the west in January, how possible is it that part of this is the next Story game? Given Cyber Sleuth's success I would think that it would be decent.

I'd also bank on a tri. trailer and probably another big thing.

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hu... I would say a new game but its bandai not namco bandai? Not sure what to expect

AiM&4

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are we getting a new game!?

hoping for a new AND complete non broken game, unlike next order for the vita ):(

Shikou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've never got to experience the original V pets, I'll totally buy one.
With Next -0rder- coming out in the west in January, how possible is it that part of this is the next Story game? Given Cyber Sleuth's success I would think that it would be decent.

I'd also bank on a tri. trailer and probably another big thing.
I like to think the success of Cybersleuth is because majority of Digimon fans are now adults and also attracting new people into the series. I'd be surprised if Next Order doesn't do well (I really hope it does, we need more Digimon).

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hu... I would say a new game but its bandai not namco bandai? Not sure what to expect
Bandai is responsible of making toys, while Bamco is game division. This project might be a multi-part project like the 15th anniversary, so a new console game is possible. With Habu hinting about a "new story" (Digimon Story series), then it's possible that it might be included in 20th anniv project

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe we're getting a Tamers sequel?

A boy can hope, right?

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd just be happy with another game/anime where Takato cameos again. I'd be REALLY happy if Jian and Ruki made it in as cameos too. After all, Takato has cameo'd in a couple of the games already, whereas Jian hasn't shown up since Tamers, and Ruki only had a small bit in Hunters. Takato was in Adventure PSP and Re:Digitize already. Dunno if he's had any other cameos besides those, but that's already more than the other 'Primary' Tamers...

But yes, a sequel to Tamers in the vein of tri would still be awesome and unexpected.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I'm not expecting much aside from the V-Pets. Too many times I've hoped for too much from anniversaries.

But still, if I were a dreamer (some might say the Biggest. ;)) then I'd love for a new Digimon game based on the various animes kinda like Dissidia with Final Fantasy. It would be a great way to celebrate Digimon throughout the years.

Treble-Clef

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I'm not expecting much aside from the V-Pets. Too many times I've hoped for too much from anniversaries.

But still, if I were a dreamer (some might say the Biggest. ;)) then I'd love for a new Digimon game based on the various animes kinda like Dissidia with Final Fantasy. It would be a great way to celebrate Digimon throughout the years.
So, like, a Rumble Arena game with an actual story added to it?

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

So, like, a Rumble Arena game with an actual story added to it?
I've never played Rumble Arena so I can't comment on it.

But I'd be satisfied even if they did something like "Gundam Perfect Mission" which was a 2.5 minute animated short showing all the Gundams up to that point working together as they protect the Core Fighter and send it back out into space. It was so awesome to see and the concept would work well with Digimon methinks.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm... what could it be?
I'm definitely intrigued but I'll put off being actually hyped until I know what it actually is. Since it seems they are heavily concentrating on the V-pet origin, I doubt it's going to be something like a new Digimon Story game, since those are pretty far removed from classical V-Pets ... and so is Tri and anything adventure related and those things have their own anniversaries anyway so I doubt it will have anything to do with that (of course DW1 style games would be closer but we "just" had next 0rder, so it probably won't be another one, which I'm kind of happy about).
So I'm not sure what to expect honestly besides the anniversary V-pet... maybe an official V-pet smartphone app or something.
At least with this the people who were worried that the entirety of Digimon will be rebooted/re-branded/whatever to Appmon will have yet another reason to change their minds.

I just wished that the site had more to offer than just a vague bare-bones tease even after digging through the resources... it's not like the spritesheet for the animation has anything hidden to offer (the binary parts seem interesting but are too small to be consistently deciphered), and manipulating the javascript variables to set the timer to 0 doesn't make anything happen, so they'll be doing everything by hand I guess.
Anyway the heartbeat sound has to be the most annoying design decision... there's no way to mute it, I ended up muting my entire PC and then by accident left the tab open in the background and the next time I turned my sound on, I still hat that "Whap Whap" sound in the background... oh well.

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't write off a new Story game just yet. While Cyber Sleuth was further away from the v-pets than the Digimon World games even with its DigiFarm, the Story games before it (DS, Dawn, Dusk, etc.) had systems that basically worked like the v-pets but as a turn based RPG without death.
Mostly in the raising, all the stats could be raised to 999 if trained long enough and the part that did carry over into cybersleuth: Digivolution trees with certain stat requirements.

That and Cyber Sleuth was a Story game and the most popular Digimon game since Digimon World 1.

Last edited:

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
if you read Habu's interview in Twinfinite, there's a hint that Habu is working on a new Digimon Story game, but most likely it won't be revealed this year. I expect that it will be still included in 20th anniv project, like what Cyber Sleuth was.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
if you read Habu's interview in Twinfinite, there's a hint that Habu is working on a new Digimon Story game, but most likely it won't be revealed this year. I expect that it will be still included in 20th anniv project, like what Cyber Sleuth was.
Even if that's the case, the timer doesn't end this year anyway. 44 days means we can expect a reveal in the first few days of January 2017. I wonder if they'll pull another one of those nade nade capers though. That was super frustrating.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that got my interest.

While it could be something small, I'm still curious what they have in mind. I'd love to see another Story game as I liked Cyber Sleuth from what I've played and seen and I'd like to see another game in the same genre.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have no idea about what it could be but I sure will be waiting to see. Since it's 41 days, that'll take a while.

Solomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also look forward to March/August 2019. Who knows what they'll be planning for then?