Digimon 1997 Backlight Mod Tutorial

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
VPet V2 1997

Tutorial (Physical Switch)

Tools Needed

1) Disassemble the back case (4 Screws), the circuitboard (2 Screws).
Keep the sponge and the small plastic that holds the glass.

2) Use a dremel or some tools to cut away half of the border (Highlighted in red) to make room for the backlight.

3) This is how it looks like after cutting.

4) Separate the glass from the backlight, after that cut the backlight using the reflective background as a guide.
Leave some spacing between the background and the black tape, this is to let the light spread more evenly.

5) Solder wires to the 2 points. Anode = Positive, Cathode = Negative

6) Put the backlight back to the digimon. Reflective part facing you.
Remember to put the sponge back. The plastic that holds the glass you won't need it anymore, keep it somewhere safe.

7) Put back the circuitboard and screw it tight. Below is a diagram where to solder for the switch.
Resistor is 100ohms. If you feel its too bright, you can use a bigger value.

8) The red area is where I keep my components since there is a lot of space there.
For the switch position it depends where you want to put, I will leave it to you.
Since I am not using a physical switch, I don't have a picture for that.

Video

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Certainly an interesting mod.

Is there a potentiometer internally so that if you ever wanted to you could adjust the backlight without having to redo work?

Also, what did you use for the backlight? It looks reasonably uniform.

Best of luck on doing it on the 20th. That'll be a treat when/if you are able to do it.

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Certainly an interesting mod.

Is there a potentiometer internally so that if you ever wanted to you could adjust the backlight without having to redo work?

Also, what did you use for the backlight? It looks reasonably uniform.
Not that i know off. Unless I put in more components for that.e

Due to space limitations everything I used would be smd versions. Might need to use button A & B combination to change the brightness level. Too much work ;)

For now I am experimenting with different level of brightness to see which is the most acceptable in the long run so I can just use that for all my devices.

I ripped out the backlight off a lcd display for phone. U could basically ripped it out of any small lcd display. It will be evenly spreaded.

Last edited:

DraCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome! I believe this will need some soldering skill, no?

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome! I believe this will need some soldering skill, no?
Definitely need soldering. For the C buttons need microchip programming + some basic electronics.

xdifferentx

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was actually coming up with a plan to add a backlight to the 20th. I was going to give the light it's own tiny 500 mAh lipo battery so it would work separately from the vpet, drill out a couple holes in the left side for a charging port and a on/off switch.

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was actually coming up with a plan to add a backlight to the 20th. I was going to give the light it's own tiny 500 mAh lipo battery so it would work separately from the vpet, drill out a couple holes in the left side for a charging port and a on/off switch.
Can u manage to do it without a external battery pack? Seems like the the whole board is drawing the battery full potential so the light is flickering.

xdifferentx

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can u manage to do it without a external battery pack? Seems like the the whole board is drawing the battery full potential so the light is flickering.
I haven't bought the parts yet but the battery is pretty tiny. It might work, though I wouldn't be surprised if I had to cut away extra plastic inside the back.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1578

Thebigboss1206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can you make a tutorial, please?

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can you make a tutorial, please?
I will post 1 soon like the points to solder etc after I complete it on the 20th. But it will be a simple on off switch.

I haven't bought the parts yet but the battery is pretty tiny. It might work, though I wouldn't be surprised if I had to cut away extra plastic inside the back.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1578
I went to this site to look for batter before. 500 mah seems too big even if u gotta cut away parts.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
pretty cool mod. that light will suck the cr2032 dry :D
just wish bandai would make a app for the v-pet for ios/android. i know they got one for tamagotchi but still

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
pretty cool mod. that light will suck the cr2032 dry :D
just wish bandai would make a app for the v-pet for ios/android. i know they got one for tamagotchi but still
I add a external battery for the vpet 20th, so it wont eat the cr2032 hahaha. I just updated a video with the vpet 20th at 1st post.

Tiger_vii

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm having trouble cutting the backlight, do I cut the hard plastic as well or just the thin white reflective plastic sheet?