Digimon "02" Announced at DigiFes

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The rule is mentioned in one of the CD dramas and the writers of Kizuna kept up with it by making the number of chosen children worldwide in 2010 consistent with this rule. I believe the writers for this new movie are the same from Kizuna so the kid in the poster is probably the 1995 one.
Kakudou's rule is two digidestined the first year. Kakudo's twitter has the year wrong too.

What CD Drama mentioned this "rule"? I don't remember it.

Last edited:

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would make Daigo and Maki to be one year older than Taichi (according to the rule, there are only 4 digidestined in 1997).
That could be explained through Apocalymon time dilation. Daigo and co travel to the digital world in 1998, defeat the dark masters, imprison Apocalymon but end up stuck in the digital world for decades having to wait for the gate to open again. When they return it's still 1998. All of this of course is a headcanon trying to explain tri's plot holes.
As I said, this "rule" isn't mentioned in the novel (the rule is only mentioned in Kakudou's twitter). So, Tri writers or the new writers wouldn't necessarily know that.
The rule is mentioned in one of the CD dramas and the writers of Kizuna kept up with it by making the number of chosen children worldwide in 2010 consistent with this rule. I believe the writers for this new movie are the same from Kizuna so the kid in the poster is probably the 1995 one.
@Kon: Theigno is referring to the scene at the start of Part 5, where Maicoomon goes crazy in Meiko's father's lab.

@Neilandio: Wallace says he met his partners seven years ago. 2002 - 7 = 1995. Daisuke also comments that that's when Taichi and company first saw Digimon.
Like I said, I recently rewatched Hurricane Touchdown specifically looking for this line and it didn't happen. There are two explanations for this: either the subtitles of the movie I saw were garbage or everyone is having a huge Mandela effect with this movie.
Theres a flaw in your time dilation theory.
First off, until 02, children didn't physically travel to the Digital World. Rather, as explained in Adventure, their mental data was digitized and downloaded into the digital world, while their physical bodies remained where they were. So their physical aging wouldn't be affected by the Digital World's warped time flow.

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm gonna be totally honest, I don't think there's need of the same story to be wrapped up and resumed several times during the last few years as it has happened with the original Digimon Adventure, especially if you don't want to add more questions rather than answers while set up inconsistencies between products from the same continuity as it has been the constant all these years. I am gonna give it a try indeed, but my expectations are pretty low for the previously mentioned reasons.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Kon: Theigno is referring to the scene at the start of Part 5, where Maicoomon goes crazy in Meiko's father's lab.

Thank you for the answer.

It makes pretty difficult to fit this with the idea of the Adventure novel that the original chosen children adventure happened after the Hikarigaoka event.

I guess Tri's writers just take some aspects of the Adventure novel.

PS: Adventure novel has contradictions with Adventure anime (an example: Lilymon appearance), but I though the lore revealed in the novel will be mantained.

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First off, until 02, children didn't physically travel to the Digital World. Rather, as explained in Adventure, their mental data was digitized and downloaded into the digital world, while their physical bodies remained where they were. So their physical aging wouldn't be affected by the Digital World's warped time flow.

Nah, that was just a theory of Koushiro's -- and in narrative terms, a way for Taichi to have his 'I'm invincible oh no I'm not' arc -- but like a lot of Koushiro's theories, it isn't actually true.

We see in no uncertain terms that it isn't true, because we see Taichi physically travelling to Earth at the end of the Etemon arc, landing in a different place than where he started from, see him physically travel back to the Digital World at the end of Episode 21, and see the rest of the kids physically travel to the Digital World in 01, at the end of the Odaiba arc.

Golden_Fate

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am SO happy about this! I hope we get the same quality that I felt Kizuna brought.

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would make Daigo and Maki to be one year older than Taichi (according to the rule, there are only 4 digidestined in 1997).
That could be explained through Apocalymon time dilation. Daigo and co travel to the digital world in 1998, defeat the dark masters, imprison Apocalymon but end up stuck in the digital world for decades having to wait for the gate to open again. When they return it's still 1998. All of this of course is a headcanon trying to explain tri's plot holes.
As I said, this "rule" isn't mentioned in the novel (the rule is only mentioned in Kakudou's twitter). So, Tri writers or the new writers wouldn't necessarily know that.

@Neilandio: Wallace says he met his partners seven years ago. 2002 - 7 = 1995. Daisuke also comments that that's when Taichi and company first saw Digimon.
Like I said, I recently rewatched Hurricane Touchdown specifically looking for this line and it didn't happen. There are two explanations for this: either the subtitles of the movie I saw were garbage or everyone is having a huge Mandela effect with this movie.
No. That was mostly just Izzy's theory and you later see characters getting physically dragged into the digital world twice. Once when tai and Koromon get back to the human world and once when venommyotismon dies

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's when he and Daisuke are talking at night, before the final battle. He mentions it during the flashback to the flower field, and Daisuke makes his comment after the flashback ends. I can send you a picture from one of the books to prove it if you'd like (from the "manga" made from movie screenshots). It's got the numeral 7 and everything.

AngelOmega

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well this is unexpected but it could be interesting. 02 has a lot of problems (one of them being the epilogue for me) but if this follows (without 01 kids having a role except Hikari and Takeru) and fixes what was done in Kizuna then I am ok with it.

Hope we don't another Minoa (get tiring) and this involves the Daemon/Dark Ocean plot..

Charin

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: the overal discussion of overall CC numbers... It's already completely impossible for Kakudou's tweet to be accurate at this point. First of all, as others have pointed out, the tweet itself is mistaken about timeline, placing Hikarigaoka in '96 rather than '95. Regardless of that, though, no aspect of his comment can be reconciled with the series.

1. He says "in 1999 there were eight people," which is patently false with all the other Chosen Children who we know about during that time.

2. Even if we give the benefit of the doubt and readjust his statement to be starting from '95, that would make 16 Chosen in '99. This is also impossible. The Adventure kids make 8. Ryou makes 9. Daigo's group of five makes 14. Menoa makes 15. Meiko makes 16. Wallace makes 17. Et cetera.

3. Could you further correct his statement to mean that there were two Chosen in '95 leading to 32 in '99? Sure, but now his original statement is wrong on multiple counts either way. That can't be considered reliable info. It would also mean that the earliest Daigo's group could have gone to the Digital World is '97, and it's simply not possible that Maki was a preteen girl in '97 and then a university-graduated government official in 2005.

4. Hikarigaoka cannot be the first time people had Digimon partners. Even if we ignore Daigo's group — which we shouldn't, because again, they are too old for their adventures to take place post-Hikarigaoka — Pipimon was most likely Oikawa's partner before the Adventure Chosen were even born.

5. There is no way to use the Digital World's time dilation to solve this. People become Chosen Children before they ever enter the Digital World, that's how they're able to go there in the first place. If the "doubles every year" was influenced by the Digital World's time passage, then the entire world would be Chosen by the time Adventure started.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It could also be that Tri, as the singular point of issue with this thing and being known for being blatantly contradictory to the rest of Adventure, is the point of issue which is blatantly contradictory to the rest of Adventure yet again.

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It could also be that Tri, as the singular point of issue with this thing and being known for being blatantly contradictory to the rest of Adventure, is the point of issue which is blatantly contradictory to the rest of Adventure yet again.
This isn't tri's fault at all. Like many others have pointed out, even going by the OG series and hurricane touchdown Kakudou's tweet is already contradictory.

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

But it's ... not the singular point of issue? It also contradicts Adventure 01, and it also also contradicts Adventure 02. Not to mention that the only source for this is a tweet from Kakudou, and it's not like he's the only member of the creative team, things he says don't automatically become canon.

Hydranoid413

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*yoinks headcanon*

I like this, it keeps the rule and explains them being significantly older when they should only be a couple of years older

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

No, this wouldn't be Tri's fault. I mean, Tri couldn't contradict a "rule" that wasn't mentioned or hinted in Adventure anime.

Also, Kakudo's twitter would have problems even if you ignore Tri:

About Digimon 10: The first trigger point for humans to gain partner Digimon was the Hikarigaoka incident in 1996, when it was too early for a network environment.
The following year, there were two people, then four people who had made contact, and by 1999 there were eight people.
And every year after that, it increased at double the pace (thinking on the lines of it being binary because it’s digital).

Kakudou tries to imply the Adventure kids are the only digidestined in 1999. That is contradictory with Adventure and the original digidestined.

Not to mention that he has the wrong year for Hikarigaoka event.

Charin

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*yoinks headcanon*

I like this, it keeps the rule and explains them being significantly older when they should only be a couple of years older
It doesn't really explain that at all. With what time did Maki and Daigo complete a degree between 1998 and 2005 if they never finished a middle school or high school education? For that matter, how did no one find it suspicious that five random ~11-year-olds aged 20+ years overnight? Government influence or not, that isn't something you can really hide from the public. Age alone is not the problem with trying to place their adventure post-Hikarigaoka — the problem is that all the stuff we know happened in their backstory cannot take place in such a small time period.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kakudou tries to imply the Adventure kids are the only digidestined in 1999. That is contradictory with Adventure and the original digidestined.

How so? If the Adventure kids are the 8 from 1999, there's plenty of time for the original Chosen Children to have been, say, from 1998 (where there would have been 4 new children), given the time dilation would have meant that was tens of thousands of years before the Adventure kids at the absolute least.

Charin

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

How so? If the Adventure kids are the 8 from 1999, there's plenty of time for the original Chosen Children to have been, say, from 1998 (where there would have been 4 new children), given the time dilation would have meant that was tens of thousands of years before the Adventure kids at the absolute least.
I think you're misunderstanding the math. Kakudou's Tweet is saying that the total number of Chosen doubles each year, not that the number of new children doubles each year. OR to put it another way: the formula would be 1 x 2 x 2 x 2..., not 1 + 2 + 4 + 8... Therefore, when he says "there are eight children in 1999," that means that there are eight children total as of that year. That wouldn't leave room for there to have been anyone else from previous years.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think you're misunderstanding the math. Kakudou's Tweet is saying that the total number of Chosen doubles each year, not that the number of new children doubles each year. OR to put it another way: the formula would be 1 x 2 x 2 x 2..., not 1 + 2 + 4 + 8... Therefore, when he says "there are eight children in 1999," that means that there are eight children total as of that year. That wouldn't leave room for
This is exactly what I think.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Exactly.

Kakudou's tweet seems to imply there are only 8 digidestined in 1999. Of course, this would also be a mistake, since Kakudou has wrong the year for the Hikarigaoka event.

Last edited: