Digimon "02" Announced at DigiFes

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had never heard this "rule" about there being double the number of Chosen Children each year since Hikari, but doesn't the very existence of Daigo's group clearly contradict that?
it does work, but it means daigo’s group go to the dw in ‘98 which makes them not that much older than the adventure group

So 98 would have Daigo, Maki, three others, Menoa, this new guy, and Willis (was he in 1998?) I guess it could line up as that'd be 8

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had never heard this "rule" about there being double the number of Chosen Children each year since Hikari, but doesn't the very existence of Daigo's group clearly contradict that?
it does work, but it means daigo’s group go to the dw in ‘98 which makes them not that much older than the adventure group

Yeah. I've forgotten that.

It would make Daigo and Maki to be one year older than Taichi (according to the rule, there are only 4 digidestined in 1997).

So, Toei in Tri likely doesn't follow this "rule" either.

As I said, this "rule" isn't mentioned in the novel (the rule is only mentioned in Kakudou's twitter). So, Tri writers or the new writers wouldn't necessarily know that.

Last edited:

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, it's worth mentioning that just because Kakudou says something, doesn't necessarily make it a canonical thing, it just makes it an idea he had. He's one member of a wider creative team, after all, not the singular auteur of Adventure.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope to play around with evos though...not like Kizuna where everyone besides Tai/Matt went to champion lolol

Better not just be Daisuke/Maybe Ken...and then make the others in the background Dx

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I sure hope the 02 kids are actually relevant and it's not just some old guy telling them about his past. That'd be cruel considering how Kizuna only barely made up for how tri treated them.
yeah that would be one hell of a bait and switch... call it 02... to you know draw on nostalgia and bring in the 02 fans... have the only 02 aspect be the cast sitting around listening to gramps talk about how he predates team Daigo. should be interesting at least I mean i did want some more stuff delving into the past of the adventure verse. I'd love something like a set of OVAs/short series giving us a few glimpses at things we've had hinted at over the years. Like we know more or less how Daigo's team adventure ended but we know nothing really about daigo's team... what mons did the others have? i know a full series about them would be meh mostly cause we know the rough ending of it, but a lil side story or two showing us glimpses into thier adventure would be interesting.

But yeah i certainly hope theres more going on than gramps talking about his partnermon. Also don't let the giant digitama be his partnermon reborn as some evil thing- that's way to cliche.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hopefully this isn’t just a flashback and they retcon the retcons that Kizuna retconned by killing Homeostasis or whatever.

Dragnoran

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that retcons everything Kakudo said on twitter about Kari being the first Digidestined lol. Now to learn about the first ever digidestined I guess. Surprised this one was real. At least Davis wasn't the first one.

And I guess this is just a place holder title?
I don't think he could have possibly been serious about that, since Daigo's team was active before she was even born.

No. Daigo team appear after the Hikarigaoka incident.

The Adventure novel mentioned the contact between humans and Digimon started with the Hikarigaoka incident.

The reason
That's literally impossoble. Daigo was in the digital world when he was, like, 10. Hikari met Botamon when she was 3. By the time Kizuna comes around Hikari is barely out of high school, yet Daigo has a government position, meaning he already graduated university. No way he's only 7 years older than her.
it makes the timeline a pain but there is canonically a rule that the number of digidestined doubles each year (1 in ‘95, 2 in ‘96, 4 in ‘97 etc), and that as well as the adventure 8 there were 8 other digidestined in ‘99 (daigo’s group, menoa, willis, and someone who’s never been mentioned)

willis also says he met gummymon and chocomon in ‘95 which makes him the first digidestined

also also, it means daigo’s group became digidestined no earlier than ‘98, and one of them may have become one earlier than the rest of the group (maki?)

presumably this new kid only counts as a tamer and not a digidestined since they don’t have a digivice and it screws things up even worse if they are digidestined
it says they had a digivice and no digimon

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the discussion at https://withthewill.net/threads/whe...-hiroki-the-original-5-chosen-children.20289/ shows Daigo's group couldn't have been in the Digital World much later than 1991.
Regardless, is the child in the poster the younger self of the first Digidestined?

As I said, Tri was following the background mentioned in the Adventure novel. So, Daigo's group would likely have his adventure after the Hikarigaoka event (as it was established in the novel).

Also, the "first digidestined" that appear in this new movie will likely have a similar age to Daisuke.

The Hikarigaoka event is the first contact between humans and digimon.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No. Daigo team appear after the Hikarigaoka incident. Daigo and Maki aren't so old.
They were clearly adventuring before 1995.
We have a flashback to 1999 in tri and we see Maki already as part of the Digimon research team in a position of authority where she's ordering around the other researchers and she looks and sounds pretty much as grown up as she does in the rest of tri.
If you compare that to how she looks in the Flashback to the Holy beast scene there's no way that it's a difference of only three or four years. She even looks noticeably younger than in the 1999 scene in her other college flashback with Daigo.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this shit is why they rebooted in the first place prob lmao. no one can get the "lore" straight and so many inconsistencies

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They were clearly adventuring before 1995.
We have a flashback to 1999 in tri and we see Maki already as part of the Digimon research team in a position of authority where she's ordering around the other researchers and she looks and sounds pretty much as grown up as she does in the rest of tri.
If you compare that to how she looks in the Flashback to the Holy beast scene there's no way that it's a difference of only three or four years. She even looks noticeably younger than in the 1999 scene in her other college flashback with Daigo.

I don't remember a flashback to 1999 in Tri where Maki appears? What happened in that scene?

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this shit is why they rebooted in the first place prob lmao. no one can get the "lore" straight and so many inconsistencies
This almost always happens when a franchise decides to expand upon its past. It's a bit of a shame, but it could've been done more carelessly.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
willis also says he met gummymon and chocomon in ‘95 which makes him the first digidestined
I recently rewatched Hurricane Touchdown and Wallace didn't mention this. He mentioned his mother found a digitama in her computer when she was browsing the internet and he mentioned that chocomon disappeared in 1999, but that's it.

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only inconsistencies are with some tweets one of the creators made that already get the years wrong and there is no evidence ever made it past a conception stage of the series.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well this is interesting. Should be a good movie. Though I really need to watch the last one. Can't wait.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, the endless handwringing over "canonicity" and "continuity". If it's a good story, it's a good story, and I'm sure they know that. Looking forward to it; I've always liked 02, and not that I particularly missed the crew during Tri, but seeing them in Kizuna made me want to have more adventures with them, so this'll be fun.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Kon: Theigno is referring to the scene at the start of Part 5, where Maicoomon goes crazy in Meiko's father's lab.

@Neilandio: Wallace says he met his partners seven years ago. 2002 - 7 = 1995. Daisuke also comments that that's when Taichi and company first saw Digimon.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would make Daigo and Maki to be one year older than Taichi (according to the rule, there are only 4 digidestined in 1997).
That could be explained through Apocalymon time dilation. Daigo and co travel to the digital world in 1998, defeat the dark masters, imprison Apocalymon but end up stuck in the digital world for decades having to wait for the gate to open again. When they return it's still 1998. All of this of course is a headcanon trying to explain tri's plot holes.
As I said, this "rule" isn't mentioned in the novel (the rule is only mentioned in Kakudou's twitter). So, Tri writers or the new writers wouldn't necessarily know that.
The rule is mentioned in one of the CD dramas and the writers of Kizuna kept up with it by making the number of chosen children worldwide in 2010 consistent with this rule. I believe the writers for this new movie are the same from Kizuna so the kid in the poster is probably the 1995 one.
@Kon: Theigno is referring to the scene at the start of Part 5, where Maicoomon goes crazy in Meiko's father's lab.

@Neilandio: Wallace says he met his partners seven years ago. 2002 - 7 = 1995. Daisuke also comments that that's when Taichi and company first saw Digimon.
Like I said, I recently rewatched Hurricane Touchdown specifically looking for this line and it didn't happen. There are two explanations for this: either the subtitles of the movie I saw were garbage or everyone is having a huge Mandela effect with this movie.

Last edited:

Bogleech

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The digimon on the poster is modeled after a clionid or "sea angel," but that's already the basis of Marine Angemon, and the two are styled really different. I wonder if they have any connection to one another, or they decided they just needed another sea angel as a child stage? On the other hand maybe it's a total redesign like the two different Falcomon.