Difference between The English and Japanese Rules For Digimon card Game

Anismeg

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi Everyone,

I would like to note all the differences between the Japanese and English Version of the digimon card Game, (Hyper Colo). And compare them.

I am noting the differences in this post, but i may be missing some, so i'm counting on you to add or even correct me in cas i am wrong. As i am not an expert in those game, only played few games in the Wonderswan for the Jap Version, and only read the rule on the instruction paper on the first starter deck vor the English Version

First,

For the set up, There is one Difference, In the english Version you play with all the 30 cards of your deck, Whereas in The Japanese you play with 29 cards, as you set one card for the counting of your score. ( that's one minus for The Japanese rule, it's too bad to take away one card, as maybe you will need that card, at a moment or another in the game)

Seconde,

In The Draw Phase,

10 Card are Drawed for the English Version, which i found is hugh, i have never see a card game draw too much card. Card game like Magic even states to discard a card if theere is more than 8 card in the Hand's Player. In fact, even Holding 10 card in hand is pretty akward i found.

For The Jap Version, It's more classique, 6 Cards. Which I prefere. The game will develop slowly, we don't have this hugh many option like the english version.

Third,

Concerning Digivolution. I have noted 2 Differences, First in the Digivolution requirement For Champion Level, There ain't the Vertical and Horizontal Discard of cards in the English Version, wich stand for guessing to what Digimon your opponent will be Evolving. So Plus one for The Japanese Version.

Second, It stated in the english rule, that only one level Digivolution per duel is permitted (Excluding Option Card), whereas The Japanese Version doesn't Have limits for digivolution. You can Digivolve your Digimon From Rookie level to Mega in one turn if possible.

Fourth,

I am not sure about this one, but when you have in the online deck less card than to draw, i think in the english version you have to discard all your hand and re shuffle your online deck with all the others cards (of course except the rookie).

Whereas in the Jap ver, even if you have less card to draw, you draw them anyway, and you re-shuffle your deck with all the others cards (except the rookie) n the next phase.

Fifth,

Concerning the Using of Option Card, in the english version it seems that player can use without limit, option card that are in their hand, switching turn in the battle phase. Whereas in the Jap Version, The player can put up to three option card face down in the main phase, and then can use those option card in the battle Phase (or discarded in the next main phase to allow other option card to be used), wich i think is more fair and strategic, because you have to think about your strategy before the battle phase, not just putting all the cards that you have instantly in your hugh 10 card hand..

Others Differences I found,

Which are not really differences, but only two different thing to express the same,

First for The Scoring, In The Japanese you go Downward from 100 to 0 ( Digimon have lost Point and not Winning Point), So you see how your opponent have lost point, in his score chart(usually from 10 to 40 depending on the digimon and the level), and you substract that amount from his total point. The First player that goes to zero point lost the game.

For The english Version, You go Upward from 0 to 1000...It's the opposite of the Jap Version, you score your winning point that you see on your Digimon Chart.. (usually between 100 and 200)

Second, in using the different attack of the digimon depending on the battle type of the opponent's Digimon. It seems That The A attack, marked as Red with a symbol in the english version, is switched with the C Attack, marked as yellow with another symbol in the english versin. But don't have the effect of A goes to 0 (in this cas C goes to 0) even if it is stated "defend".

So in the Japanese version. generaly, A Battle type Wins Against C (Excluding Option card). Because A will Use C Attack against a C Digimon, which have the effect of making the A Attack of The C Digimon goes To Zero.

In The English Version, A Also Win Against C ( Excluding Option card). Because A will use a higher Power value of its C Attack against a C Digimon. C Will use a lower power of A against an A Digimon.

So in both version A has the default advantage against C, but only in the a different manner.

Third,

For Digivolving, The Japanese version, Use Generaly The Winning percentage option card to digivolve from Champ to Ultimate ( stated as Perfect in the Jap), or from the Ultimate ( stated as perfect in the jap) to Mega (Stated as Ultimate in the Jap)

Whereas, in the english Version, there are option card like Digivce and stuff like That.

I think that's all what i have retained for the moment, i will post other differences if they comes to my mind, or discover along, others.

It's for you now :)

Last edited:

Anismeg

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reflecting back on the rule of the card used for counting the loss points.. It's actually a challenging rule, because in that case you have to think on what cards you need most to put at least 2 of them, in case one of them happen to be the card used for the loss point.

So for a example, if your game really count on your perfect or ultimate levels, then you have to put at least 2 of them and 2 Winning ratio card..etc.

Digi_TaKi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
is the english version also called Hyper Colosseum ?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it was called Digi-Battle. I know it wasn't ever referred to as Hyper Colosseum.

whatthechuck3

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Would it be possible to play the English game with (mostly) Hyper Colosseum Rules, or would the cards not really allow them to apply? I just find the English game to be so broken...but maybe I played it wrong as a kid. Does anyone know where I could find a good rule set for Hyped Colosseum online?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The cards are changed up a good deal in the English version. The convention of attack A being strongest isn't always true, and there's no "A goes to 0" type of thing, and the evolution process is changed as well, so I doubt you could really apply Hyper Colosseum's rules to it.

whatthechuck3

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The cards are changed up a good deal in the English version. The convention of attack A being strongest isn't always true, and there's no "A goes to 0" type of thing, and the evolution process is changed as well, so I doubt you could really apply Hyper Colosseum's rules to it.
Ah. Well maybe a hybrid then? Say going with a 6 card hand, only allowing 3 options per round, multiple evolutions per round, etc. might those rules help balance the game more, or would they likely do more harm than good?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s possible, I guess. I just don’t know enough about Digi-Battle to help with that.