Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ferriswheel1_june19_2022.jpg
ferriswheel3_june19_2022.jpg
ferriswheel2_june19_2022.jpg

Announced awhile back formally, but with the date about 2 months away, it was worth a mention that the Daikanransha ferris wheel closes on August 31st, 2022.

The Daikanransha featured a decent bit in various Digimon Adventure media (and cameoing in a few other parts of the franchise).

It was built as part of the Palette Town shopping/entertainment complex in Odaiba. It opened in 1999, the same year the Digimon anime began, and at the time of it opening it was the tallest ferris wheel in the world.

It's closure appears to be part of urban redevelopment, with it appearing the plan is to build an arena.

It joins various other things that have connections to the franchise that have closed in recent years, such as the onsen the characters visited in tri., along with the chain of Ani-On Station chain that featured a number of Digimon music cafe events.

Thanks to VirtualBaseinDW for the heads up.

Attachments

• ferriswheel1_june19_2022.jpg
    ferriswheel1_june19_2022.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 8,747
Last edited:

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
NOOOOO! I was going to visit it on my future trip to Japan!

LegendRuffy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was on that wheel when I lived in Japan. I didn't know it was featured in Digimon :D
Kind of sad to see that it will close in a few months.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sad news but I was fortunate to have gotten to ride on it on Odaiba Memorial Day in August 2013 with my guide. I can't believe that's been nearly a decade ago now. What I can remember was how humid it was that day and there was very few people around Palette Town.

Even then I learned a lot of the real-life locations seen in the Digimon franchise are slowly disappearing as time goes on which isn't surprising. Nothing stays the same forever. I always saw Digimon Adventure as sort of a time-capsule for the late 90s and early 2000s but it will eventually be gone. I was still surprised the information board with the original Adventure cast at Nerima in Hikarigaoka where it all began was still there, heavily weathered and faded from the sun.

I'm fortunate to have been one of the few Westerners getting to make the Digimon pilgrimage as it were, I just wish there was more time for this attraction for those who want to visit but can't right now. I thought the trip was expensive then but compared to now, that was pocket change compared to fares and rising costs today.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shame to see this iconic landmark go, but it is what it is I guess.

I didn't get to ride it, but have a fun memory of when I happened to be standing right next to it as I defeated Diablomon on the Digivice Ver.15th

Kyaromonfan96

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would imagine it that the people who make the anime to edit the scene.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unless it was involved in some tragedy, there's no reason to do that.

Flamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those islands are a strange time capsule. Things began to get off the ground and then they had a recession and most development stopped, leaving partially finished roads and temporary venues that ended up hanging around for 20 or more years. You can *still* see the NeoGeo logo painted on the roof of Palette Town and that brand has been dead since 2004. There's abandoned bridges, weathered kiosks and haphazardly paved over or repaired paths. What did finally get built, including the wheel, left a stunning visual impact on the harbor but even as far back as 2015 I remember talking to people at the August 1 meetup and there was a lot of mentioning that things were going to change. Odaiba was locked in the 90's.
It did. They were in the process of building the Toyosu Market and even a year later when I visited I noticed some of the rougher edges were cleaned up (EG: the observation deck buttons on the Rainbow Bridge used to be taped over and now they had a metal plate covering them). My last visit in 2018 had an awful lot of road work being done.
The wheel is symbolic and is a part of our memories, but unfortunately time must press forward.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Daikanransha was the number one Digimon Adventure landmark I wanted to visit. Had the pleasure to ride it back in 2019. Waited so many years to do it! Sad to see it go, but I guess the reason is understandable.

Are there any plans to rebuilt it somewhere else?

At least we'll always have Fuji TV, right...?

Golden_Fate

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh No! How sad!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is sad but if this is really the best idea for the area. ...If they wanted to make money, they might make a little memorial model. ...If enough people would like that.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope they just move it to another ward of Tokyo or even another city. There’s a lot of cool landmarks in Odaiba.

AppliFang

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unless it was involved in some tragedy, there's no reason to do that.
I think its making room for something bigger

They gonna close down a famous art museum there too to make a bigger one somewhere else

so sad cause many things in odaiba getting moved or demolished lol Dx