Dagomon, MarineDevimon, and the Dark Ocean [Theory]

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was just perusing through the DMA, and then got to thinking a bit about the "lost sagas" of Adventure Zero-Two: Dragomon (Dagomon in the original) and the Dæmon Corps.

I believe that in the original, at least, Dæmon made a comment about the Dark Ocean, being Dragomon's domain. So there was some sort of knowledge shared between the two of each other. To what extent Dragomon knew of Dæmon, however, we do not know.

As a domain, he rules over certain digimon who dwell there. "Scubamon" (actually Divermon, or Hangyomon). Except they weren't, as they were… well, strange dark beings.

I'm a dub person concerning this season, so some aspects may not be accurate by the original. So I just began to watch that again: "His Master's Voice," "Opposites Attract," etc. Those who know more about the original will likely have bits of data that I don't have listed below. Heck, I bet even other dub people can find other points ;)

Several things we know dealing with evil (demonic-nature) digimon and the ocean. Some of this may be irrelevant to discussion, but it doesn't hurt to list what all we know about the region and the two digimon involved:

• Both Dragomon and the Dæmon Corps were interested in the Dark Spore
• Dragomon's subjects were aquatic. Dragomon as well is somewhat demonic in origin as the "Dark Undersea Master"
• The "Scubamon" were more demonic than aquatic digimon. If they indeed were digimon.
• "Our master can sense your power, too, and he will come." [~Deep One, Dub]
• Devimon appeared in the Dark Whirlpool in Zero-Two. Relation to the Dark Ocean, perhaps?
• Ken's D3 was tainted in the waters of the Dark Ocean; it was enough to make him scream as if he were driven mad
• The Dark Ocean was like a parallel world to the Digital World. The Dark Ocean can see the Digictal World, but the Digital can't see the Ocean (Opposites Attract).
• The Dark Ocean's power prevents digivice Digivolution as do the Control Spires (Dark Towers).
• The Destiny Stones being destroyed, as well as the Control Spires being built, would weaken the boundaries between worlds.

The Dub's end-of-episode dealywho hints that the "Dark Undersea Master" will be revealed in the following episode, but this was never pursued in either dub or original. But as is, all we have to go by are bios and the few episodes dealing with the Dark Ocean.

Now, what I can't get over is this: MarineDevimon in the Dæmon Corps (yes, this comes back). Every other member (SkullSatamon, LadyDevimon, and Dæmon himself) were demonic in type (SkullSatamon as Undead, Dæmon as one of the SGDL, and LadyDevimon as a Fallen Angel). MarineDevimon, however, is an Aquatic Beast Man (Jp), or Sea Animal (En). Undead is similar enough to Fallen Angel, and both imply evil (all of the Undead type digimon I can see on the Wiki's Category page are evil).

Now, the Japanese type has only a few Aquatic Beast Man digimon: Depthmon, Divermon, Dragomon, MarineDevimon, Mermaimon, and Orcamon. Three of these 6 digimon are somewhat special:

• Divermon: Visage taken on by the so-called "Deep Ones" (unofficial term for what were dubbed "Scubamon"). Divermon also worked under the Dark Master, MetalSeadramon, in Adventure season 1.
• Dragomon: Ruler of the Dark Ocean and the "Deep Ones" based on Cthulu Mythos stuff; basically an aquatic demon.
• MarineDevimon: Member of the Dæmon Corps that attacked the Real World; also very much an aquatic demon.

Examining Dragomon and MarineDevimon, in appearance and in origin/description, they seem oddly similar. Plus, isn't it odd that two aquatic demon-esque digimon were pursuing the DigiDestined, and that Dæmon knew of Dragomon?

Strictly speaking, this topic should deal with Dragomon (Dagomon) and MarineDevimon, drawing in other information only as far as it's needed. I've tried to compile a bit of stuff so there's already fodder for theory processing.

Please, only post if you actually have something to contribute to the discussion. Posts such as "that's a bunch of hogwash" without anything to back that up will be considered as spam as that merely hinders discussion. That said, if you have evidence that makes what someone suggests incorrect, don't hesitate to point this out, but in a respectable manner. Posts don't have to be long, but should have enough information to be able to make some relevant statement.

Absolutely NO posts just saying "But that's just speculation/theory/etc.!" - I know that. If you read the title, that's obvious ;) Obviously, we may not arrive at what the authors intended, but theory-discussion such as this can be fairly entertaining.

I know there are several Cthulu Mythos fanatics here (TMS, I highly expect you to have read this within the first few minutes you're on next :p). As Dragomon and the Dark Ocean were, apparently, based somewhat on that, Cthulu Mythos info will also be considered relevant info (heck, if you can find a way that logically ties in Myotismon/Vandemon, that's fine). :p

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Dragomon (Dagomon) and MarineDevimon in Zero-Two [Theory]

The Dark Whirlpool definitely has a connection to Dagomon's Ocean. In episode 27 of the original, Ken says that his base was powered with energy from the "Dark World." The presence of that energy gave Hikari the same feelings she had in Dagomon's Ocean, and similarly reminded Takeru of the Dark Whirlpool.

Since Devimon wound up there, I think it is safe to say that the Dark World is the same as the Dark Area, the place where evil Digimon are sent when deleted. This is also the place where the Seven Great Demon Lords (such as Demon) are imprisoned, which would explain why Demon would know fellow Dark Area bigshot Dagomon.

Some other interesting notes from the original. The episode recap for episode 43 says that Demon and his followers came from the Dark World. When Demon talks to Archnemon in episode 43, he asks her if she intends to oppose "the forces of Darkness."

I've said elsewhere that I think Dagomon was a follower of Millenniumon. In one of the Ryo games, a Dagomon is one of Millenniumon's personal bodyguards. Also note that after Ken is injected with the Dark Seed, the first place he winds up is Dagomon's Ocean. What Millenniumon's connection may be to Demon, I don't know.

Edit:
I forgot the Cthulhu Mythos!

In the writings of Lovecraft (Cthulhu's creator), he sometimes mentions the Elder Sign, most often a hand gesture used in the way Catholics sometimes cross themselves. Apparently, it is a protective sign, though in one poem he says that the Elder Sign "sets the fumbling forms of darkness free." That may have been the inspiration for AncientWisemon's Elder Sign attack, which unleashes the ultimate evil god of another dimension.

In one of his letters, Lovecraft draws a written Elder Sign for a friend. It resembles a tree limb, and is suspiciously similar to the symbol on Palmon X's medallion. What probably interests us most about Lovecraft's Elder Sign is that in "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" (Innsmouth, by the way, is the name of the town Hikari finds herself in in episode 13 - you can read the word on a sign in DigiCode), a group of beings called the Old Ones used the Elder Sign (here described as a swastika) to battle the Deep Ones, amphibious worshipers of Cthulhu.

After Lovecraft's death, his protege August Derleth continued writing stories set in the Cthulhu Mythos. He described the Elder Sign as a pillar of flame inside an ellipse (together resembling an eye) inside a five-pointed star. Derleth said that the Elder Sign was used by a race of "good" gods, or Elder Gods (invented by Derleth) to imprison "evil" gods, or Great Old Ones, like Cthulhu. This version of the Elder Sign is very similar to the symbol on Demon's robes (and Mephismon's chest), which would seem to imply that he is an enemy of Dagomon if the Mythos relationships hold true.

There is some evidence in Lovecraft's writing that there are gods that oppose Cthulhu and company, but they are never described as good. Lovecraft's stories say that his Great Old Ones are beyond good and evil, though their human victims certainly don't see them that way. Demon having the Elder Sign may be a way of combining Lovecraft's and Derleth's different conceptions.

Last edited:

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=TMS link=topic=15850.msg204140#msg204140 date=1298084586]
The Dark Whirlpool definitely has a connection to Dagomon's Ocean. In episode 27 of the original, Ken says that his base was powered with energy from the "Dark World." The presence of that energy gave Hikari the same feelings she had in Dagomon's Ocean, and similarly reminded Takeru of the Dark Whirlpool.

Since Devimon wound up there, I think it is safe to say that the Dark World is the same as the Dark Area, the place where evil Digimon are sent when deleted. This is also the place where the Seven Great Demon Lords (such as Demon) are imprisoned, which would explain why Demon would know fellow Dark Area bigshot Dagomon.
[/quote]

I'm not seeing that much of a connection here. The Dark Vortex that Devimon appeared in was never stated to be the Dark World. Ken wasn't affected by it the same way Dagomon's Ocean did until Devimon started taunting him.

They're both connected to darkness, but they're not the same world. The Dark Vortex seems to be an entrance to whatever area the evil Digimon are sent after being killed.

Dagomon's Ocean just appears to be another world parallel to the Digital World, that Dagomon rules over.

Also, if the world Demon was referring to was Dagomon's Ocean, why would he not be able to move freely from that world like he does from the Digital World to the Real World?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=CloneWarrior link=topic=15850.msg204194#msg204194 date=1298134258]
Also, if the world Demon was referring to was Dagomon's Ocean, why would he not be able to move freely from that world like he does from the Digital World to the Real World?
[/quote]

Remember that the Seven Great Demon Lords are supposedly imprisoned in the Dark Area. Demon might not have been allowed out.

When dealing with Digimon, I tend to streamline everything by lumping a large number of realms into the Dark Area. We know that it takes different forms. It is an empty sphere in Frontier, but GranDracmon's profile tells us that there is also enough land in it to hold a castle. By the way, in Adventure's episode recap for episode 46, Etemon is said to have "returned from the World of Darkness" as MetalEtemon. MetalEtemon himself refers to the place as Hell. This points to the place he was in being the Dark Area, Digimon Hell, so to speak.

The Dark Network may have been connected to the Dark Area/World, and drawn its powers from that. The space where Apocalymon, who is in the Dark Area family of Digimon, appeared may also be part of the same world. I also like to think that the powers of that world leaking through to the Digital World are the cause of the black caves that Yamato and Sora fall into. Note that Yamato and Sora themselves also perceived the caves as a dark ocean in which they were sinking.

Dagomon's Ocean might not be in the Dark Area, but the fact that they are both refered to as the Dark World, and both seem to be a source of the Dark Power, is very suggestive. As for Ken not being affected by the Dark Whirlpool until he started hearing things, this is probably because he had forgotten all about the place, or was ignorant of what it meant at the time.

Also, I forgot to say something last time.

[quote author=Lhikan634 link=topic=15850.msg204136#msg204136 date=1298083462]
The Dark Ocean's power prevents digivice Digivolution as do the Control Spires (Dark Towers).
[/quote]

This isn't surprising, since Dagomon's Ocean is said to be the source of the Dark Towers, which were probably inspired by other sinister monoliths in Lovecraft and company's fiction.

Something strange to ponder. In episode 13, there is a Dark Tower on the beach, Evil Spirals on the "Hangyomon," and an Airdramon which the Hangyomon claim to be a slave of the Digimon Kaiser. The Dark Tower is easily explained away, since Dagomon's Ocean is where they come from. But what about the Evil Spirals? Before seeing the original, I had assumed that all of the evil devices were controlled by Dagomon. The Evil Spirals don't work the same on Dagomon's worshippers as they do other Digimon, but is this because they are fake, just a ploy to gain Hikari's trust, or because the Hangyomon aren't really Digimon at all?

However, in the original, Vamdemon claims to have been the one to invent the Evil Rings by reversing the powers of Tailmon's Holy Ring. So did the Evil Spirals belong to the Digimon Kaiser, to Dagomon, or to Vamdemon?

One last Mythos tidbit. In "The Call of Cthulhu" an avatar of Cthulhu is said to be served by "black-winged ones." I wonder if Airdramon may have been representative of these mysterious creatures.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I also prescribe to the Dark Area = Dark World = Dark Ocean theory. But with a slight differentiation. Just as the Digital World is a mishmash of various landscapes, I tend to think that the Dark Area has a large number of places that can look like caves or oceans or forests. We see the Digital World transition seamlessly into a Grey Forest area of the 'Dark World' in Hikari/Miyako's Jogress episode. And we see the Dark Ocean's beach in Ep13 and Ken's flashback. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume that Devimon's whirlpool, Etemon's Dark Network, or even Apocalymon's spacelike domain (remember that Vademon's pocket dimension is considered a part of the Digital World, too) are all part of the Dark Area. Anubimon's profile even mentions a Digimon Hell, which I also assume to be a reference to the Dark Area.

It's simply that Dagomon controls the Dark Ocean portion of the Dark Area. It's likely that MarineDevimon also originated from this part of the Dark Area before coming to serve under Daemon. Leviamon may actually reside there, too. It's notable that there are some Lovecraft stories that refer to a Leviathan like Great Old One.

As to the Dark Spirals, the simplest explanation is that they are fakes. Vamdemon created the original Dark Rings with information he took from Tailmon's ring (probably while she worked for him?) and then Ken later discovered the information and created them en masse and then upgraded them to Dark Spirals.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I've wondered before if Vademon's pocket dimension might be part of the Dark Area. It bears many similarities to the Apocalymon Space, and Vademon and EBEmon are in the Dark Area family. The Dark Area may also be the unknown dimension where the D-Reaper hid out and mutated before reemerging to battle the Tamers. Konaka, its creator, is a Lovecraft fan, and had already connected the Dark Area to the Mythos in 02 (Do the D-Reaper's final forms remind anyone of the Dunwich Horror?).

On a side note, while we're on this Dark Area kick, I think that Analogman, after getting trapped in cyberspace at the end of Digimon World, might have found his way into the Dark Area and emerged as the virus known as A in Digimon World: Digital Card Arena. I'm not entirely certain, but here's my reasons for thinking so. I once came across a document (unfortunately deleted now) that had all the dialogue from the dubbed version of the game written out. I'm not sure how accurate the translation was, but in the dub game Gatomon tells the player that Kari has been suffering from nightmares recently because of A's approach. Given that Hikari is usually only affected that way by the Dark Power, it would seem that Analogman has had some sort of contact with the Dark Area.

Finally, I have one more thing to add that I forgot to mention above. At the title screen of "The Call of Dagomon," some DigiCode appears before the title does. It reads:

Fungurui
Muguruunafu
Kutouruu
Ruruie
Ugafunaguru
Futagun

This is meant to be the phrase Lovecraft romanizes as "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn," which he translates as "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming." It's an interesting thing to actually put in the anime. Konaka, who wrote the episode, seems to be implying that to some extent Dagomon literally is Cthulhu.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Where did you find that Digi-Code thing? Is that original research?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

So, the Dark Area (probably better referred to as the "Dark World" as in the anime, the original I think?) may also be split into regions? This brings up a few interesting (possibly) ideas stemming from this:

• If the Dark Area deal is divided regionally, what if they roughly parallel those of the Digital World?
- Icy region
- Forested region
- Dark Ocean
- Firey/Volcanic region
- "Void" region(s) - Apocalymon's region, Vademon's space, Myotismon's domain, etc. etc. Basically the polar opposite to the digital "heaven" region
- Fossil/dragon region(s)
- Mechanized region
- Desert region
- &c, &c.

• If this area is thus divided, do the subsequent dark digimon follow rival factions?
- I.E. If Dæmon refers to the Dark Ocean as Dragomon/Dagomon's domain, would Dæmon have a similar domain?
- Would MarineDevimon and Dragomon share a similar link uncommon between them and the SGDL, excluding Leviamon. Would a similar difference exist between MarineDevimon and the rest of the Dæmon Corps?

Now, I must stress I don't have much info at all about the original since I only saw the dub as a kid. Was there any info given (anywhere) as to how the Dæmon Corps formed? Like, why a SkullSatamon, MarineDevimon, and LadyDevimon as opposed to… anything else? The only commonality I can think of now is that they're Ultimate (Perfect)- level, fallen angel-ish digimon. Oh, and they were released on the paper Digi-Dex papers with the toys on the same page, I think.

Cthulu Mythos people: Would there be any similar parallel from the Cthulu stuff on the division of the Dark Area / the importance of the sea/ocean/water?

And, TMS, how am I nowhere near surprised that you weren't just the first one to reply, but that the reply was within a half hour of my post (and more like 15-20 mins at that)?

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

About Apocalymon. In the episode where he first appeared, Gennai stated that the darkness that surrounded him was part of him. The figure they fought was just a physical form that he took. Which means that the entire area they were in was the remains of the Digimon that died out during the evolution process.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Lhikan634 link=topic=15850.msg204549#msg204549 date=1298390456]
So, the Dark Area (probably better referred to as the "Dark World" as in the anime, the original I think?) may also be split into regions? This brings up a few interesting (possibly) ideas stemming from this:

If the Dark Area deal is divided regionally, what if they roughly parallel those of the Digital World?
- Icy region
- Forested region
- Dark Ocean
- Firey/Volcanic region
- "Void" region(s) - Apocalymon's region, Vademon's space, Myotismon's domain, etc. etc. Basically the polar opposite to the digital "heaven" region
- Fossil/dragon region(s)
- Mechanized region
- Desert region
- &c, &c.

If this area is thus divided, do the subsequent dark digimon follow rival factions?
- I.E. If Daemon refers to the Dark Ocean as Dragomon/Dagomon's domain, would Daemon have a similar domain?
- Would MarineDevimon and Dragomon share a similar link uncommon between them and the SGDL, excluding Leviamon. Would a similar difference exist between MarineDevimon and the rest of the Daemon Corps?
[/quote]

It wouldn't surprise me if there were an entire range of biomes in the Dark Area. Maybe there is an icy forest where Wendimon stalks, or a sinister city where Astamon and his many fans dwell. I'm not sure if there would be infighting among different factions. The Dark Area may be a peaceful place even though you'd never want to visit. As to differences between MarineDevimon/Dagomon and the other evil Digimon, I doubt there would be anything deeper than that they are ocean dwellers.

Now, I must stress I don't have much info at all about the original since I only saw the dub as a kid. Was there any info given (anywhere) as to how the Daemon Corps formed? Like, why a SkullSatamon, MarineDevimon, and LadyDevimon as opposed to anything else? The only commonality I can think of now is that they're Ultimate (Perfect)- level, fallen angel-ish digimon.
[/quote]

The original doesn't give much more info about the Demon Corps than the dub. All it says is that they came from the Dark World on behalf of the powers of Darkness to get Millenniumon's Dark Seed. Whether Demon has any connection to Millenniumon or Apocalymon is unknown, though Demon knew of Dagomon, who, once again, was probably working for/with Millenniumon.

Cthulu Mythos people: Would there be any similar parallel from the Cthulu stuff on the division of the Dark Area / the importance of the sea/ocean/water?
[/quote]

Not... really. Innsmouth, the town Hikari visits in episode 13, is not in an alternate dimension in the Mythos, but is merely a (very creepy) town in Massachusetts. So, is the Dark Area actually Lovecraft's literary world? But if that's the case, why do all of its inhabitants look like Digimon? The question is further complicated in Tamers, where a reporter mentions Miskatonic University, a fictional college in the equally fictional town of Arkham, which Lovecraft placed not far from Innsmouth. Is there an Innsmouth in the human world of Tamers? Konaka really blurs the lines.

Of course, Lovecraft did the same thing in his stories. He repeatedly mentions the Plateau of Leng. In "The Hound," he says the plateau is located in central Asia, but then in "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" he moves it to the far northern region of the Dreamlands. Later, in At the Mountains of Madness, he moves it again, this time to Antarctica.

In Lovecraft's stories, Cthulhu lives in the sunken city of R'lyeh. He and his followers originally came to Earth from the depths of space, but actually lived on land until they had to go into hibernation and a cataclysm sunk the city. Cthulhu and company communicate telepathically, but for some reason the ocean's waters block their thoughts. This is different from Dagomon, who is certainly meant to be an aquatic creature (besides Cthulhu, Dagomon seems to be based on the umibozu from Japanese folklore).

And, TMS, how am I nowhere near surprised that you weren't just the first one to reply, but that the reply was within a half hour of my post (and more like 15-20 mins at that)?
[/quote]

You knew it would get my attention! I'm on this site about constantly. It's my homepage, and every few minutes I check for updates.

[quote author=CloneWarrior link=topic=15850.msg204551#msg204551 date=1298391401]
About Apocalymon. In the episode where he first appeared, Gennai stated that the darkness that surrounded him was part of him. The figure they fought was just a physical form that he took. Which means that the entire area they were in was the remains of the Digimon that died out during the evolution process.
[/quote]

That's right, and it's an interesting point. Gennai says that the darkness was "probably endless." Of course, it couldn't have all been the same material, since the darkness does not entirely disperse even after Apocalymon is destroyed.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

If we include other seasons, then we also know that the Dark Area can take the form of a dark sphere in the core of a planet (where Frontier's Lucemon was), which could be akin to a Volcanic region!

Also, in Savers: Another Mission, we see the Dark Area (again, where Lucemon Fallen Mode was sealed) as a small room that looks something like the inside of a computer (or like something out of Tron). Could be the 'mechanized' equivalent region you're looking for?

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=ukyouluvr link=topic=15850.msg204627#msg204627 date=1298457739]
If we include other seasons, then we also know that the Dark Area can take the form of a dark sphere in the core of a planet (where Frontier's Lucemon was), which could be akin to a Volcanic region!
[/quote]

Excuse me for interrupting your discussion. I just want to ask you something. Does the Dark Area inside one of Sephirotmon's sphere also count?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Monox D. I-Fly link=topic=15850.msg204702#msg204702 date=1298511764]
Excuse me for interrupting your discussion. I just want to ask you something. Does the Dark Area inside one of Sephirotmon's sphere also count?
[/quote]

I wouldn't think so, but it's a possibility. I think that Cherubimon's Dark Continent might be a part of the Digital World shrouded in the influence of the Dark Area.

Last edited:

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=TMS link=topic=15850.msg204704#msg204704 date=1298511952]
I think that Cherubimon's Dark Continent might be a part of the Digital World shrouded in the influence of the Dark Area.
[/quote]

That...doesn't make any sense.

The Dark Area is the place that pure evil Digimon are sealed away. The Dark Continent was just one of the ten areas that represented the areas. And as they stated over and over, darkness isn't inherently evil.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=CloneWarrior link=topic=15850.msg204709#msg204709 date=1298513957]
The Dark Continent was just one of the ten areas that represented the areas. And as they stated over and over, darkness isn't inherently evil.
[/quote]

Was it ever outright stated that the Frontier world was divided into ten elemental areas? I don't recall.

Last edited:

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=TMS link=topic=15850.msg204714#msg204714 date=1298514835]
Was it ever outright stated that the Frontier world was divided into ten elemental areas? I don't recall.
[/quote]

Yes, a number of times. The Royal Knights took out each of the areas one by one at the end.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Never mind then. Frontier is the series that I haven't seen in the longest time.

Last edited:

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=TMS link=topic=15850.msg204718#msg204718 date=1298516143]
Never mind then. Frontier is the series that I haven't seen in the longest time.
[/quote]
I mean, you're technically right, but not in the way you were thinking.

As for Sefirotmon's Sphere of Darkness....no, that's just his sphere representing that element. It's no more part of the Dark Area than his Sphere of Light is part of the Kernel.

As for biomes...the profiles are pretty consistent on the Dark Area resembling Hell from Paradise Lost. I mean, to the point that it's central city is the Pandaemonium. (it is not given a name, but it has the same descriptors)

From the profiles I've personally checked:

The Dark Area (??????, D?ku Eria?) is a "graveyard of deleted data" full of evil energies[5], and is the prison in which the most dangerous and evil Digimon are confined. It is located within the Digital World, below the Net Ocean.[6]. The center of the Dark Area is the den of demonic Digimon[7], who are led by the nobility of the Dark Area.[8] Most of the nobility lead legions of the dark army of demons known as the "Nightmare Soldiers".[9][10]

Long ago, Lucemon and Daemon led a rebellion of Demon Lord, Demon, and Fallen Angel Digimon against the creator of the Digital World, and were imprisoned in the Dark Area along with many of the other Demon Lord Digimon.[11] Other Angel Digimon who rebel and fall from grace are imprisoned within the Dark Area, where they also become Demon Lord or Fallen Angel Digimon[12][13][14], and it is said that those who attempt to reach the Golden Land but fail Crowmon's "Threefold Trails" are dispatched to the Dark Area as well.[15] Even the data of Digimon consigned to oblivion by the Seven Great Demon Lords is not reincarnated, but is sent to the center of the Dark Area, where it becomes the flesh and blood of the Demon Lords.[16]

*I still need to translate and integrate info from Porcupamon, Anubismon, Gulfmon, Dracumon, GranDracmon, Devidramon, and Devimon

All in all, the "official" version of the Dark Area closely fits the depictions in Digimon Frontier and Next - a hellish landscape within an anti-kernel at the center of the Digital World. This would also somewhat fit Apocalymon's void, though that could also just be the remains of the Digital World. (Either way, it is not a ''normal'' depiction of the Dark Area - if it's the Dark Area, then it is the Dark Area transformed along with the rest of the Digital World when it became Spiral Mountain. From what I've read of the novel, though (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it does seem to be outright stated that Apocalymon was originally imprisoned within the Dark Area, but this also indicates that at the end, when he is "free" and past the Fire Wall, he is no longer in the Dark Area.)

The Dark Ocean is the weirdest bit, because that is seemingly at the surface of the Digital World, but...skewed from it. Furthermore, CthulhuDagomon has never been listed as a Dark Area Digimon. Especially given the Dark Area's consistent basis in Christian mythology (Yatagaramon and Anubimon's profiles being the only outliers), as opposed to the Dark Ocean's overt basis in Lovecraftian horror, I've got to say that they must be separate areas of the Digital World, even if they are both bastions of "the Darkness".

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=KrytenKoro link=topic=15850.msg204751#msg204751 date=1298564461]
From what I've read of the novel, though (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it does seem to be outright stated that Apocalymon was originally imprisoned within the Dark Area, but this also indicates that at the end, when he is "free" and past the Fire Wall, he is no longer in the Dark Area.)
[/quote]

I have only only read the first of the three novels as translated by Onkei, which takes us to the end of the Etemon arc. Nanomon breaches the Wall of Fire and is killed by Apocalymon, who apparently creates a black hole in the Digital World before the Wall closes up again.

In your opinion, is the place where the final battle with Apocalymon takes place on this side of the Wall of Fire, and that Apocalymon simply brought part of his habitat with him, or were the children precipitated into Apocalymon's place of origin [ie. the Dark Area]?

Last edited: