MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The contest is over and judged.

The winners have all been contacted.

I'll let them reveal themselves and their winning entries if they want.

Anyone else who entered can share your entry if you want also.

Thanks to New Video for the prizes.

If you still need the sets Amazon has been discounting them quite heavily, links are below.

Digimon Season 2 DVD Set at Amazon

Digimon Season 1, Volume 2 DVD Set at Amazon

TPappas1991

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am one of the winners, and here is my entry.

For me Digimon Adventure 02 is special to me as I managed to watch all 50 episodes in their initial airings on Fox Kids, so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. This review is going to be more emphasized on the Japanese version even though the contest is for the dub set. Of the 2 Adventure series this one was my favorite as a kid. The new story is great even though there are a few plot holes. The new characters are likable (in the Japanese version anyways). To go through each one in detail:

Daisuke & V-Mon - This series' goggle-head of course looks up to the previous goggle-head, Taichi even though he isn't as smart. He's just a lovable idiot, and that's what I like about him. He provides some funny moments, and the great voice acting of Reiko Kiuchi also helps. V-Mon is adorable. You can tell that he loves Daisuke and will do whatever it takes to help him. His evolutions are cool as well. My 2 favorites being Fladramon & Magnamon. I also love Junko Noda's voice acting as well.

Miyako & Hawkmon - I love her point blank. She is very hilarious. I love her little catchphrase before the kids go into the Digital Workld "Chosen Children, let's roll." The voice acting of Rio Natsuki is what makes her so funny. She is much better than Tiffanie Christun was in the dub who just made her sound obnoxious. Hawkmon is a cool Digimon however out of all of his forms I have always loved Shurimon as he looks so awesome. It was always a shame that Shurimon was never seen much. Kouichi Touchika was a perfect choice for the role.

Iori & Armadimon - Of the 4 new kids he is my least favorite just because his character was never really fleshed out to me, and what we did get was all near the end about his father. That and because of Philece Sampler's chain-smoker voice in the dub as well. Megumi Urawa is much better though at least. Armadimon I always found adorable. The only one of his evolutions I like is Digmon, and I am glad he got a lot of exposure. My favorite thing about Armadimon is that he always says dagyaa at the end of his sentences. Megumi Urawa did well here as well.

Ken & Wormmon - My favorite of the new characters. Ken's story is so fleshed out. We first see him as the evil Digimon Kaiser and there he is ruthless and will stop at nothing to control the Digital World. After he was defeated by the Chosen Children he goes into a "coma" and we get the very excellent episode 23 where we learn about his past, and that's my favorite episode of the series. Props to both Romi Park & Derek Stephen Prince to making the character sound great in both languages. Wormmon is adorable. You really feel bad for him when the Kaiser is torturing him. Once Ken turns good he becomes very powerful when he evolves into Stingmon and jogresses with XV-Mon and becomes Paidramon and then further into Imperialdramon. As for which voice I prefer, Naozumi Takahashi is my pick.

All the returning characters are still their same old selves for the most part at least for 6 of them. Takeru & Hikari return for this series, so we see their stories continue. Takeru gets a new voice in both versions, and not much is different with him except for the dub added romantic feelings for Hikari. Hikari gets her trips to the Dark Ocean, and we realize that she can relate to Ken because of that. Patamon & Tailmon get new evolutions in this series as well.

The villains after the aforementioned Digimon Kaiser are kinda bland (at least Arukenimon & Mummymon). I do love the complexity of Oikawa though. Why he is how he is is because of Hiroki and Vamdemon controlling him. I really loved the fact that in episode 48 it is revealed that Vamdemon was behind the events of the entire series. I remember shouting at my TV when that was revealed when I was little. Such a shame that his voice changed in the original though.

Then the ending, god I hate the ending of the series. It felt so rushed. I do agree with Yamato & Sora getting married sure, but Ken & Miyako why? That little crush was mentioned in 1 or 2 episodes and never again. It should have been Ken & Hikari getting married as I think they are a better fit. I've always believed that Mimi & Michael got married because her son looks like Michael.

Digimon Adventure 02 is a great series, not the best Digimon series, but it's watchable. It's not as bad as Savers was at least. I now think the original Adventure is better than 02, but my all time favorite is Frontier.

lastlivingkid

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was a winner as well. Here's my entry:

I recently watched Adventure all the way through for the first time since its original air date, and I was impressed and moved at the quality of the writing in the original Japanese and in the English dub- it was definitely an affirmation of my love for the series. So, after finishing Adventure, I wondered what I should do next. I could either watch Adventure 02 again or opt to skip right over it and go straight to my favorite series, Tamers. After some deliberation, I decided to start 02 simply because I wanted some more time with the original 8 children; I wasn't ready to move on. I must admit, though, that my favorite thing about the show other than the characters was picking out the differences in the art styles between episodes, and that was mostly what I was thinking about when I started 02.

Allow me to explain: Adventure was done by a few different teams of animators. I can't say for sure who animated it or where it was done other than the in-house team at Toei Animation, but it's pretty clear just from watching all of the episodes back-to-back that they were done by different people. The episodes animated by Toei themselves, for example, feature much more noticeable noses and very curvy faces. Another very frequent style, and my favorite of them, has very small noses- in some shots the kids don't even have them- and very round faces. Yet another style I noticed features very sloppy, almost American-looking characters comparable to 80s cartoons like Ninja Turtles. It's also noticeable that plot-heavy episodes have more attention to detail. The differences are subtle, but they exist, and they're there for anyone to see.

So, after noticing all that, it became a game to me to see which style was used in each episode, and when I started 02, I started playing the same game. Right off the bat it's clear that the budget was increased ever-so-slightly- you can tell because the Toei style is used in more episodes, and in-house animators at Toei cost more than the outsourced teams that worked on so much of Adventure. This means that my favorite animation style, the round no-nose style, is gone- which was quite a bummer to see. However, it was still fun to see the slight change in styles between series because the changes tell so much about the success and status of the show. Adventure was, of course, hugely successful, and you can tell when you look at the animation in 02- it looks more like other Toei productions like Dragonball and Sailor Moon in style, as if Toei had grown proud to have Digimon on its portfolio and worked harder to make it really shine. There is also less reliance in general on computer effects, and when CGI is used, it looks miles ahead of the poor effects sometimes used in the first series.

These differences may be minor to everyone else, but to me, the art tells all about the show- links it to its history, makes it clear which episodes were big events when they came out- and links Adventure and 02 together in a way that even their connected stories can't do. The ways the two are drawn tell a story about how they're related in a way that transcends the shows themselves and enters real life- so, to me, Adventure and 02 are connected most strongly by their art styles.

NekoHaruko

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also am a winner. Here is my entry for the Digimon Zero Two boxset.

Ever since 02/Zero Two aired in America. It had instantly become my favorite season. Because during that time I was going through bullying and family problems. These may seem common to you, but I very felt a connection and understanding with one specific character. Ken Ichijouji.

I felt left out of my family much like he was when he was younger. His/my older brother was always more successful academically and athletically. No matter what I did, or how hard I tried to be good at something, my brother had always shone brighter. I became depressed because of this and I always felt I was never going to amount to anything. It didn't help that a teacher that was supposed to help me because of my disabilities in school, was yelling at me constantly because I just couldn't understand things quick enough. The same thing with my dad. I would go to him to help me with my math homework, my worst subject, but he too would lose patience and yell at me. It really hurts to hear from adults that you are stupid and you will never be anything and end up on the streets.

Along with the neglect I felt back then, there was also the insecurities that came a long with my disabilities. I try to be the kindest person I can when talking with others. I apologize and ask politely, but no matter what I did or said, kids would always get angry and get fed up with trying to talk to me because I'm hearing impaired. I even told them why I couldn't hear or understand them. But nothing ever seemed to work. I suppose this also led into me being more dependent of people that would talk to me. Otherwise, I was a loner. I avoided conversation whenever possible.

I soon became so depressed that I wanted to kill myself. As a kid, I didn't realize this fact in episode 49, but Ken wanted to die too. BeialVamdemon made everyone think of their deepest wishes. Takeru to have his family, Hikari to have everyone be happy with the Digimon, Miyako to be an only child, Iori wanted to show his father the Digital World, and Daisuke, well. We know how that ended. Ken's was to be punished and killed by the Digimon he hurt when he was the Kaiser. I felt I had done so many bad things too. Maybe that was why I never had any friends...

I never went through with wanting to die, because even through all the stupid shit I did online, one person was willing to be my friend still. Her opinion of me never changed. I felt there was still hope for me and that one day I would find out why I was even born on this earth. I guess, in a weird otaku way, my friend is like Daisuke, dragging me from the darkness. While I am Ken. Always remembering the terrible things in the past. But I did learn to forget and forgive. As I'm sure Ken did too. With the support of friends, we can both forget our pain and move on.

It's strange that Zero Two has the strongest connection to me despite all of its flaws. Daisuke and Miyako are very inconsistent characters to go along with the inconsistent plot of Zero Two. Even though Kouji's back story has some connection to me too with separated parents and a step mom, I still feel the strongest towards Ken and Zero Two. Zero Two also has the worst ending next to XW/Hunters in my opinion. The way that the baddie was brought back and defeated in such a pathetic way, not to mention the epilogue pretty much everyone hates.

This long, sad story of mine is why I like Zero Two so much. I guess it is because it aired during the time I was suffering the same way Ken and Hikari were. Forever trapped in a dark world.
But with time, we healed. It really does get better.

DaemonCorps

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, I'm one of the winners, too! Still waiting for my prize, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Here's My Entry for Contest 1:

Digimon Adventure was one of my earliest exposures to shows with a prevalent continuity, so to find that there was a second "season" to it taking place a few years after the first one really piqued my interests. Being introduced to a new cast in the same universe as the old one was a new and interesting concept for me. And while the "Adventure" cast was mostly set to the sidelines in favor of the new members, it was still a solid experience that defined my childhood.

In particular, I found Ken's entire storyline in going from a troubled youth to eventually learning to forgive himself to be a very interesting theme that played throughout Zero-Two. To have someone who lives his "normal" life as a child prodigy only to spend his second life as an evil emperor was unnerving to say the least. Having a digi-destined that viewed that entire other world as nothing more than a child’s plaything with absolutely no consequences to one’s actions felt like a real polar opposite to the feeling of wonder that Adventure had throughout its run, as well as relevant in terms of real-life society and the slow birth of flaming others online.

And while the epilogue in the last episode of Zero-Two turned off most, I was just glad to see that all the main characters from both series were able to have something of a happy ending. It was honestly the first series I watched that dared to show their characters at such different points in their lives and gave a real sense of closure, which I really appreciate

And here's my Contest 2 entry:

One of the more noticeable links between season 1 and 2 of Digimon is the whole concept of digivolving, and how the “standard” method of doing such has essentially been made impossible at least during the first arc. It always irked me that the writing in season 2 was done for the sake of phasing out the season 1 cast and putting them more in mentoring roles to the new cast. And while the egg-related digivolving seemed like a gimmick more than anything else, I will say that excluding standard digivice digivolutions until later arcs in season 2 made me appreciate them that much more.

Azulongmon actually taking the time for an in-depth explanation of digivolving that also furthered the plot was an interesting way to bring back the season 1 digimon into more prominent roles without completely having them overshadow the season 2 cast. While I haven't seen the episodes in a while, I do remember my younger self feeling somewhat at ease when watching the season 1 digimon fight alongside the season 2 digimon, since by that point in the series, I was convinced that the season 1 cast in general would be stuck in less active supporting roles. In general, the intermingling stories between the season 1 and 2 casts were done in such a way that was able to give closure to both casts, which I really enjoyed.

TPappas1991

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just curious to know who is still waiting for their prize? I know I am, so it's safe to assume that everyone is as well?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just curious to know who is still waiting for their prize? I know I am, so it's safe to assume that everyone is as well?

I believe my PM from a few days ago that said no one has gotten the prizes yet, and I've contacted the PR company to find out what's going on covered that.

TPappas1991

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I believe my PM from a few days ago that said no one has gotten the prizes yet, and I've contacted the PR company to find out what's going on covered that.
Wow, nobody got them yet. I'm getting a bit worried.

TPappas1991

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bumping to inform that my 02 set arrived in the mail today. Can't wait to watch it.