Card Game English Box Bonus will be Alternate Art Cards & Magazine Promos

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Just a few days after we found out about the English release of the card game and we already have an update!

Social media posts have announced bonus items that will come in booster boxes of set 1, being referred to as box toppers.

The first is 1 alternate art card (referred to as parallel cards in the Japanese verison.) In the Japanese version there were 5 each of these in sets 1 and 2, since US booster 1 and 1.5 will be combinations of 1, 2, and 3, some mix and match would be expected (parallel cards were also in the set standard, plus a few promo cards, so we will see how those might get mixed in also.)

The second is a 2 pack of promo cards, out of a total of 6. The 6 promo cards came with magazines in Japan:
Garurumon and WereGarurumon from the May 2020 issue of V-Jump
V-dramon Zero and Taichi (V-Tamer) from the July issue of V-Jump
Agumon and Greymon from the May 2020 issue of Saikyo Jump

That they are already working to seemingly make sure we get English releases of every card should help, since some fans had concerns about those cards.

The Digimon Card Game will be released in English in January 2021, with an early release at some retailers in November 2020. Previous details can be found here.

Attachments

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
bro, even the promo cards (and from the wording, I think this means every box has a full set of 6 promos?). Being an English Digimon Card Game fan keeps getting better and better! I wonder how expensive the Zeromaru Veedramon and V-Tamer Tai will be after this?

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
V-Tamer Tai dubbed for the first time and gets Kamiya.

It's really nice to get the promo cards since those could easily have missed out.

Most card games use the term Card Topper

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this means every box has a full set of 6 promos?
Nope, every box has a pack with 2 of 6 cards, so you must buy 3 boxes and have a lot of luck to get all cards.

The Worst decision ever, because V-Tamer have no connection with old dub. It's a new chapter of Digimon franchise outside Japan and it's a very good time to use proper names for a new generation of kids. Japanese is more popular than 20 years ago, and people who watching anime on Crunchy (or other streaming sites) are more familiar with it.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Worst decision ever, because V-Tamer have no connection with old dub. It's a new chapter of Digimon franchise outside Japan and it's a very good time to use proper names for a new generation of kids. Japanese is more popular than 20 years ago, and people who watching anime on Crunchy (or other streaming sites) are more familiar with it.
I disagree. This would cause that we would have the same person using 2 names or rather we would create a unique entity despite the fact that V-Tamer Tai and Tai Kamiya are exactly the same person.

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They have the same name and appearance but unrelated personalities and stories. They basically only have as much in common as Ash and Red do in pokemon

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I disagree. This would cause that we would have the same person using 2 names or rather we would create a unique entity despite the fact that V-Tamer Tai and Tai Kamiya are exactly the same person.
I mean there's also brand consistency. People complain about the times the dub change a name and then complain when they DON'T change a name. We will never see an instance in Pokemon where Ash is named anything but Ash. There's no winning I guess.

This is a dub product, it's going to use dub names. Subtitles for the *japanese* version of Colon don't count.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The cards need to have consistent names one way or another for no other reason than if there is ever a card in Japan that searches “Yagami Taichi” cards, it won’t require erratas to be brought over in English. I don’t use dub terms myself, but mixing and matching would be even worse.

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most card games use the term Card Topper
Actually Box Topper is the correct term to use here. Those tend to be promotional cards that are used as an incentive to get people to purchase card boxes. A Card Topper on the other hand is a type of hard plastic sleeve used to protect sleeved cards or a type of plastic case for a card. Used to think they where the same too.

I’m personally ecstatic with the news! I was planning on buying boxes in the first place so this is a pleasant bonus. I just hope the rates are not as badly handled as the Godzilla box toppers Magic had for the USA Ikoria packs.

And here’s hoping that they don’t ruin it somehow while localizing it. All the previous occasions (original card game, D-Tector Cards, TCG, and Xros Wars cards) were heart breaking enough. I only hope this time they do remain faithful to the japanese version and give it their all. I know I want to give it my all to support it.

As for the dub names, yes, it is irksome. I agree. All I hope for is that the Digimon names stay mostly faithful to their original Japanese names or at the very least stay consistent with the names we’ve had in the video games for years.

Tetsuya Suoh

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They have the same name and appearance but unrelated personalities and stories. They basically only have as much in common as Ash and Red do in pokemon
But there's also a significant enough difference in their designs that they don't even look like the same character like the Tais do. Red often looks older than Ash and has sharper eyes with a more mature expression. His hair also seems to be less spiky.