Can you guys help me out with some information?

trosiness

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi guys I’m new around here, this is my first post. The thing is, I have really looking everywhere for something and I can’t seem to find it, that’s why I came here, here is the place where I found more useful data on new stuff, the thing I’d like to know more about the old stuff, specially about the development/production/behind the scenes stuff about the first two Digimon series, like what were the ideas and basic concepts around the characters, how the ideas were developing as the series progressed like was Kari always supposed to be in the first series? And in regards to 02 how true is it that the two main writers have issues developing the storyline, why episode 13 feel so different from the rest? Why the epilogue was so random? And if there’s a creative reason to keep Kari and TK in the group?

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The most information you are likely to find in one spot would be onkeikun's translations of the "Memories of our Digimon Adventure/02" Booklets that came with the DVD boxes and contain a whole bunch of staff interviews about the show's production: http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/category/interview

Apart from that there isn't much of a central spot to find everything. Sometimes in interviews promoting newer products we get some tidbits about the older stuff, and sometimes a staff member drops a bit of information on twitter.

For a few of the questions the answers can be quickly summarized:
Hikari wasn't supposed to be a chosen child at the start, but they decided at some point that they wanted a late comer character and the head writer liked her from the first movie, so they used her.

If the writers had super big "issues" developing the story of 02 then they are at the very least not admitting it lol. Seriously though, most claims that there was super much executive backstabbing tend to be made up or at least exaggerated by fans who can't accept that the writers might have been okay with things that they were not okay with.

Episode 13 was a guest written episode, they never planned to make an entire arc with that style and theme.

sugarplumfairy

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would recommend you go through the interviews Theigno mentioned. Kazarin on Tumblr has also translated some BTS interviews.

Answering some of your questions, based on information we have available in English, rather than speculation or rumors:

• Hikari was not supposed to be a main character, and they only decided to include her later;
  • The starting point for Adventure was inspired by Jules Verne's Deux Ans de Vacances. They had a basic idea for the ending, but the arcs weren't planned in advance.
  • There has been zero evidence of conflict between the two headwriters of 02 (Genki Yoshimura and Atsushi Maekawa) or any behind the scenes conflict at all. It seems that this rumor spread due to fans' perceived complaints about 02; namely, the "unbalanced" nature of 02's themes and the fact that its plot isn't as clear-cut as in other series. If anything, this may be because Yoshimura and Maekawa had different strengths/styles (the former focusing a lot on villains and Ken's backstory).
  • Episode 13 was meant as a one-off episode written by guest writer Chiaki J. Konaka. No different than the similarly "filler" episode 12! However, later they included some of the elements of that episode into the main plot, mainly Ken's backstory. The concept of "parallel worlds", first introduced here, also became a central thing in 02.
  • The Epilogue was originally meant to happen at the end of Adventure; in fact, clues about the identity of the narrator (a Future Takeru) were present early on. When 02 started production, they decided to postpone the Epilogue to the end of the second series.
  • AFAIK, no-one has mentioned the official reason why Takeru and Hikari were part of the 02 group. It's easy to imagine that it was to keep a stronger connection with the previous series. (This also explains why the older 6 children were so present in the earlier episodes of 02). Moreover, it might be difficult to explain why they wouldn't be part of a younger group of Chosen Children around their age.

Basically, 99% of rumors around the internet are baseless or at least huge jumps from actual official information, so as a rule of thumb I would advise you to abandon all pre-conceived notions and don't believe anything you haven't read in a primary source (interview / magazine / guidebook).

Last edited: