Booster Set ver 1.0: NEW EVOLUTION

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've seen you mention the whole Digimon saving BS thing before, whenever you get the time would you mind elaborating a bit more on that? I've been curious about it for some time lol.
So I guess first of all, I should show you some data:
Image Thumbnail (custom)
This is April-December 2017 sales data aggregated by Media Create, which does monthly, quarterly, and annual reports on the industry's growth, based on the Japanese fiscal year. In English:
  1. Duel Masters (16.2 billion yen)
  2. Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG (15.4b)
  3. Cardfight!! Vanguard (3.8b)
  4. Weiss Schwarz (3.3b)
  5. Future Card Buddyfight (3.1b)
  6. Pokémon TCG (2.6b)
  7. Magic: The Gathering (2.4b)
  8. Battle Spirits (2.2b)
  9. Selector Infected Wixoss (800 million yen)
  10. Z/X (800m)
  11. Love Live! School Idol Collection (600m)
  12. Fire Emblem Cipher (600m)
  13. Shironeko TCG (350m)
  14. ChaOS (250m)
  15. Lycée (240m)
1 billion yen is equal to about 9 million US dollars. So currency converted, in 8 months Duel Masters pulled in ~$144,000,000, while Battle Spirits down in eighth place only got ~$18,000,000. That's a lot less but it's still not bad, right? It's more than Wixoss and Z/X...except that BS was a much larger outfit, and around seven years earlier Battle Spirits was in Vanguard's spot. The unexpected success of Vanguard (2011) and Buddyfight (2013) gradually edged BatoSupi out of the spotlight, its anime that had been running continuously on TV since 2008 ended up discontinued after March 2017, and there was concern over whether or not the franchise would survive in the long run. (Kinda the situation Buddyfight is in now...and Digimon itself was in circa 2002.)

Enter Digimon. The first Battle Spirits x Digimon Collaboration Set launched September 2017, then you had CB03 in February 2018. On the next annual report, covering Spring 2017 to Spring 2018, we got this:
  1. Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG (23.4 billion yen)
  2. Duel Masters (22.2b)
  3. Cardfight!! Vanguard (5.4b)
  4. Weiss Schwarz (4.9b)
  5. Future Card Buddyfight (4b)
  6. Pokémon TCG (3.5b)
  7. Battle Spirits (3.3b)
  8. Magic: The Gatheirng (3.1b)
  9. Selector Infected Wixoss (1.6b)
  10. Z/X (900 million yen)
Now this report included some of the same data as the previous one, but shifted the perspective forward several months so it left out BatoSupi's less profitable first quarter of '17 and included the more profitable last quarter of '17 and first of '18. Those last two quarters where Digimon Collaboration Boosters were launched bumped the TCG's total revenue up a billion. Then, CB05 came out in May alongside a Digimon-themed Starter Deck, and we got this out of the monthly report for May 2018:
  1. Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG (2 billion yen)
  2. Duel Masters (1.9b)
  3. Battle Spirits (500 million yen)
  4. Magic (400m)
  5. Weiss Schwarz (350m)
  6. Future Card Buddyfight (300m)
  7. Pokemon (230m)
  8. Selector Infected Wixoss (160m)
  9. Cardfigth!! Vanguard (160m)
  10. Z/X (160m)
BatoSupi was the third best-selling game in general for the month the fifth Collaboration Booster came out. Of course there were other product launches for Battle Spirits released between Digimon sets, like a Kamen Rider collab, the Dream Decks, and the 43rd and 44th main boosters. The Collab Booster and Collab Starter also came out in the last week of the month. But in general, core players either preorder or purchase the bulk of their product in the first few week after launch, and retailer orders are based on a combination of those two factors, so May sales data would have been primarily made up of the Digimon Starter Deck and fifth CB.

At this point Battle Spirits was back on its feet, Bandai kept accelerating with more product releases, and by 2019 the game was healthy enough that they were able to greenlight a new series of anime films set after the two most popular seasons of the show, Battle Spirits Shounen Gekiha Dan & its sequel Brave. (yes, they gave Battle Spirits the Adventure Tri treatment.) The end result of this was BatoSupi entering 2020 as the #4 TCG in Japan, making just under 770 million yen/$7 million in the month of January. (that ranking list is given in thousands of yen as the base unit.) From all this data we know that the series had a hard time and that it recovered with Digimon's help, but I'd like to touch on why that worked.

By now you may have heard about the DIGIMADO/Digiwindow fan conventions/tournaments. Digimon in Japan has a particularly rich history with regards to its TCGs, and its card game products produced an especially close-knit community of fans online, big enough to make running events every year viable. The Digimon TCG fan community is actually bigger than what we see in those live events, as a lot of people can't make it to every meetup for one reason or another. There was effectively a base of Digimon card fans that were waiting for a new game to come along, and Battle Spirits provided a convenient outlet for that. It helped that you could get memorabilia in the form of free set posters from your locals' extras, and playmats given out to tournament winners, and the Digimon cards themselves were reasonably strong in the context of BatoSupi. When local game stores publish photos from BS tournaments, it shows things like players posing with Alpha or Hyper Colosseum cards, or sleeving their decks in older Digimon sleeves. So this game became the closest thing those fans had to an active Digimon TCG, and their presence helped raise attendance numbers at weekly events to rebuild the fragmented BS community, which in turn made people more willing to go in because there were already a lot of players, which got the game to the point that Bandai could do more and more collabs beyond just Digimon and push out more product at a pace comparable to the bigger games. As a result, card shops now aren't so skeptical of a taking orders on and hosting tournaments for a new Digimon TCG, because the IP helped them rebuild a customer base they thought was gone for good. I think the fact that the official Digimon TCG Twitter account is close to 6000 followers after just about one month, while the Appmon TCG account still only has ~700, speaks to how much more enthusiasm there is for this game.

Seems to be the intended audience for the new Rush Duel format for YGO as well, so hopefully the lower prices and better marketing will ensure Digimon finds success there.
It's absolutely the same audience. Konami has an aging demographic issue in that their YGO revenue is primarily driven by a much older base of customers than their target demo, and they're trying to fix that by getting in on the same niche Bandai and Bushiroad are gearing up for. That's what the streamlined rules and card redesign are all about. The timing of it's no accident either--Digimon TCG starts in April, first Rush Duel starter and booster set is in April, Dominator would have launched in the same time frame had Rebirth For You not taken its place in the production order.
Thank you so much for your analysis, really gives a lot of context.

I’m familiar with Media Create, but from what I understand they stopped providing weekly video game sales data (for free at least), so I’m guessing it might be a similar situation with card games. Hopefully there’ll be a suitable way to track data for when the Digimon Card Game launches, but for now I have really high hopes for it.

It feels like almost everything is just right for it to succeed, but that’s just me. The only card game I’m really familiar with is Yu-Gi-Oh! so I have a pretty limited view on things. That said, I feel like even if Rush Duels do relatively well and/or Sevens becomes a beloved series, the fact that two formats might mean a split player base is probably a concern in the short-term. Long-term, Rush Duels can just replace the classic game if it really takes off and the younger player base will keep playing. Additionally, having two card games means some players may support both games for now. Still, it sounds to me like having a unified, large and dedicated player base is pretty important too, and the marketing focus on older players teaching younger players alongside the connection to Adventure: might work out better than the Sevens era which seemingly abandons the recognizable YGO art style and traditional game format. Of course, it’s not a zero-sum game so maybe we’ll see both Digimon and YGO do really well without cutting into each other too much.

Last edited:

StarDragonJP

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This isn't the 1st Leomon card to have that effect, apparently one of the Battle Spirits ones called Lemon (Tamers) has when it's destroyed you can summon a Mega from your hand. Guess it's a reference to Guilmon digivolving into Megidramon.

Some_Gamer_Dude

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are a few claims going around saying there is confirmation that New Evolution has Green cards in it, namely Palmon and Tentomon. Is there any actual clarification of this? I mean it makes sense, the game is a ultimately a Magic-like, going backwards through it's influences, and the theming kinda needs both a Green and a Purple.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
so far from the perspective of somebody who hasn't yet played the game, Blue and Green seem to be the be the strongest colors as Blue removes entire abilities and constantly puts itself in memory advantage and Green is absolutely beefy in terms of power, evolves fast, and leaves its opponent Digimon unable to act as it just rests whatever it doesn't like.

What cards do you guys think will be staple cards for their colors? I can't imagine a blue deck that doesn't run Hammer Spark, it's the type of card I can't imagine ever not being competitively viable in any format it's in unless a power creep happens and something is printed that's strictly better

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Blue is definitely looking the strongest.

All the magazine promo cards so far have been really strong and synergize pretty well with the booster cards, like the promo Greymon being great for early game poking, which also works well with red cards with Pierce and BT01 WarGreymon. The blue magazine promos have been especially efficient, as I’ve seen a lot more promo Veedramon and promo WereGarurumon plays that win games than any MetalGarurumon or Omegamon plays.

That said, the strongest decks I’ve seen so far have been either mono-blue or blue-green decks that focus on memory (manipulation for the former, maximization for the latter). It depends on the deck, but the lower levels of the Palmon lines help get the powerhouses like GranKuwagamon out for green decks. Cards that focus on draw power like BT01 Gabumon are also really good since it increases the consistency of mixed colour decks. So in a blue-green deck, one way to make it work is to have all the Digitama cards be green to help raise the real game-winners, while playing cards like Gabumon that are relatively fine as a direct play cost and get that draw. When played with cards like ST02 Yamato that get extra memory, it becomes much easier to get extra draws without using too much memory. Gabumon can then be used to set up a Veedramon or a promo WereGarurumon to start some plays while you build up a big green Digimon in the raising area.

Last edited:

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Nightwing what are your thoughts on Red and Yellow as colors? I personally am the most interested in yellow as it seems the most reminiscent of "burn" decks in Magic the Gathering and I was thinking of maybe trying to find a way to splash Red into it over time as I like the Digimon designs used in red

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Nightwing what are your thoughts on Red and Yellow as colors? I personally am the most interested in yellow as it seems the most reminiscent of "burn" decks in Magic the Gathering and I was thinking of maybe trying to find a way to splash Red into it over time as I like the Digimon designs used in red
Well keep in mind, I'm actually not that knowledgeable about card games either way so my commentary probably shouldn't be taken too seriously. I've just been watching as many games as I can and listening to as many opinions as I can lol. Based on the games I've seen, for example, I would say Omegamon is great in Blue decks but not as strong in Red ones, but I hear it described as a great card in either deck. Regardless of the deck, it sounds like it's great as a 6 (evolution) cost alternative to Gaia Force and Cocytus Breath that can also be used to attack twice. It also works as a really good card to have in Security, so running two or three Omegamon is apparently common for Blue and Red decks that have six or more Level 6 Digimon in. If I gave my thoughts from even a few days ago, I would've said most people don't run it since it seemed to be inefficient, and that's not really the case at all lol.

That said, I've actually had the concept of a Red-Yellow deck in my head for a while. Mistymon and BT01 HolyAngemon have pretty powerful on play effects which make them work pretty well as splashable cards in other coloured decks. Personally, I'm not as into playing with Blocker cards in Red decks since it usually pays off more to be more aggressive with Level 4 and 5 cards than spending that Memory on Blockers (promo Greymon, Tyranomon, BT01 Garudamon, etc.). What that means is cards like BT01 HolyAngemon and BT01 Seraphimon are really useful in some cases since they focus on Recovery and, when used together, can go for an extra Security attack as well. SlashAngemon's weaker DP would be helped by ST01 Taichi, while its effect, as well as that of Mistymon, can work pretty well in decks that are all about increasing DP to get over other Digimon. A Mistymon played at the right time could set up a play with a Digimon with Pierce to get rid of problematic Digimon like GranKuwagamon. The problems are pretty evident since I really can't say how consistent they'd be in doing that, and then there's the Memory to think about as well.

Anyways, it seems Recovery-based Yellow decks are pretty good, but I've seen more decks that focus on reducing DP (to be fair, this is mostly because I've seen decks that were really modified versions of ST03 with the few BT01 cards that were revealed at the time). So in decks with the latter, Garudamon and Breakdramon might work really well. If you throw in a couple ST01 Taichi cards, you might even have enough consistent Red cards to include some red Option cards. Great Tornado and Brave Shield are both cards that I personally think are almost certainly must-haves in a Red deck, so a Yellow-Red one might be a good place for them. Getting that extra DP and Security Attack +1 with the former is maybe what a Yellow deck needs in the mid-game to be aggressive, and the latter gives you the ability to Reactivate a Digimon, and therefore the ability to attack again. Some Yellow cards that might be useful are Petermon and Tinkermon, as the former can summon the latter with its effect for no cost. Your win condition might only be holding onto a Seraphimon for two turns to attack with it twice and a few smaller Yellow cards finish the game after Seraphimon clears four or all five Security cards.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm I'm surprised Red is slightly favored less than other colors? Reading those comments gave me that impression.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ve mostly been hearing Red and Yellow are the “weaker” decks currently, but that’s mostly because both Blue and Green are great lol. I think once we’re past the early stages, Green might end up looking the strongest, but then again UlforceVeedramon is coming soon so Blue will probably remain the top dog. Either way, Red is my favourite colour but is also the one I’ve witnessed losing the most... Hopefully people find better methods of building to BT01 WarGreymon.

We don’t have a BT02 thread yet, so I’ll just add that I hope the Guilmon line and Dukemon have Pierce to help bring consistency to Red Pierce decks, i.e. BT01 Biyomon is pretty great but there’s not enough Digimon with Pierce in Red for it to work well enough.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
all this card talk really makes me want to deckbuild. I hope we get a deckbuilder website eventually to help with that
We don’t have a BT02 thread yet, so I’ll just add that I hope the Guilmon line and Dukemon have Pierce to help bring consistency to Red Pierce decks
on this topic, what is something that the other colors also need more of?

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
all this card talk really makes me want to deckbuild. I hope we get a deckbuilder website eventually to help with that
There actually is one (unofficial of course) already, it’s even being updated fairly regularly to include the parallel arts.

So someone’s already gone through the effort of translating some of the rulings Q&A for the set from the official site:

Last edited: