Booster Set ver 1.0: NEW EVOLUTION

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Releases May 15th, 2020
Pack price unknown. Boxes will cost 4,752 yen after tax, cartons/cases will cost 57,024 yen.
Each pack contains 6 cards + 1 index card, each box contains 24 packs, each carton/case contains 12 boxes. At least one card in every pack will be a parallel foil.
Will (probably) have a Carddass vending machine release, as it's part of the Carddass brand.

Comprises 115 cards total: 45 Commons, 30 Uncommons, 28 Rares, 10 Super Rares, and 2 Secret Rares.

NUMBERNAMERARITYTYPEENTRY COSTEVOLUTION COSTLEVELPOWER
BT1-001???????
BT1-034LeomonUncommonDigimon5345000

Leomon
BT1-034 Uncommon
5000 DP
Entry Cost 5 Evolution Cost 3
Level 4
[When destroyed] Summon 1 Child-level Digimon from this Digimon's Evolution Sources without paying the Cost.

Sources:
Suruga-ya
Yahoo Shopping
V Jump
Official YouTube Channel

Garmore

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of course they give a leomon an on destruction effect.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol yeah. At least you get a free summon.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't realize Leomon was confirmed for the Booster, for some reason I'd just assumed he'd be in Cocytus Blue.

As old and played out as the joke is, it shouldn't be funny... but I still find it hilarious that it's made its way to the brand new card game lol.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
....Wanna bet SaberLeomon's effect will be same as this but upgraded for free summon of Perfect level or lower? lol

I wonder if it's really wise to continue changing the Digimon cards too often...

TOMY

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It seems that would be the case for this card, but I'm anticipating something more "badass" when it comes to BanchouLeomon card.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Badass"? How? Since Touya said it's similar to Duel Masters so all card effects of Duel Masters seemed so same to me like Yugioh cards almost have 100% related effects to summon or anti battle destruction... I can't imagine how "badass" effect will be for BantyoLeomon.

TOMY

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Badass"? How? Since Touya said it's similar to Duel Masters so all card effects of Duel Masters seemed so same to me like Yugioh cards almost have 100% related effects to summon or anti battle destruction... I can't imagine how "badass" effect will be for BantyoLeomon.
Perhaps, BantyoLeomon may get effect like "[When Evolved] Destroy all Blocker.." or something similar. Obviously not in this upcoming set, but who knows how it'd go in the future.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it almost sounds like it's Vylon Omega's effect. It's my favorite card I guess it almost counts as "Badass".
Not in this set? But what about Liomon? Even Dracomon got in it as well along with few certain others.

TOMY

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it almost sounds like it's Vylon Omega's effect. It's my favorite card I guess it almost counts as "Badass".
Not in this set? But what about Liomon? Even Dracomon got in it as well along with few certain others.
About Liomon and Dracomon, their appearance in the promo art, I treat it like, a "teaser". They MAY or may not be in the NEW EVOLUTION pack, but they will be included eventually in the next one.

They may also include Leomon in this pack, without including any of its Digivolution; like SaberLeomon or even BantyoLeomon. For that, we have to wait for more cards to be revealed later.

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A little bit of good news: A lot of big name chain stores are taking reservations for the first Booster and Starters in Japan. Hobby Station, Card Labo, Yellow Submarine...the biggest one is Card Kingdom, Japan's largest national hobby chain, which previously played kingmaker by aggressively pushing Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card Buddyfight. They never gave Digimon the time of day before, until the Battle Spirits collab sets helped revive BS. Stores are also pushing the promo pack collab to try and convert Battle Spirits players to Digimon players. It might not seem like much just seeing it on social media, but it matters considering so few stores took a chance on the Appmon TCG back when it was new.

I mentioned in the Starter thread that I think there's gonna be 5 colors in the game, and the 10 Super Rares in this set are meant to give 2 SRs to every color. My speculation is that for Red, Blue, and Yellow, the SRs will be alternate versions of the Starter Deck Ultimates, with different effects. This mainly matters for the secondary ones like Hououmon and Vikemon (or Plesiomon, depending) as their Starter Deck prints will probably be Rares or Uncommons and thus on a lower power scale from an SR.

I didn't realize Leomon was confirmed for the Booster, for some reason I'd just assumed he'd be in Cocytus Blue.
I wouldn't have realized Leomon was in this booster either if Marc hadn't posted the cleaned up version of the card on Twitter, I thought it was from Cocytus until I saw the number on it.

I wonder if it's really wise to continue changing the Digimon cards too often...
I think this change was necessary. Digimon hasn't been a mainstream or popular card game in Japan since pre-Alpha, and Bandai's been trying to fish for a game with the kind of staying power Takara and Bushiroad TCGs have found. The new rules will probably work in the game's favor--Duel Masters is currently the best-selling TCG in Japan, but it has 18 years of cards in the format and an extensive banlist that turns people off to it. This ruleset is similar enough that it's easy for Japanese players to jump right in, and the Starter Decks are the lowest-priced entry point in the entire market. Right now is a good time for Bandai to go in too, because the bigger companies have a weakened position and there's not a lot of competition from smaller games. (Most mid-sized devs were focusing on digital TCGs up until everything but Shadowverse and Hearthstone crashed.) In terms of paper games, Cardfight!! Vanguard halved in revenue, Future Card Buddyfight is dangerously close to being discontinued, Yu-Gi-Oh!'s player base is averaging older in Japan, and Pokémon TCG saw a major boom driven by JPN YouTubers turn to bust around this year's world championships. With Vanguard being refocused on an older audience and making a lot of bad financial decisions, and Buddyfight winding down, there's room for a new TCG targeting late elementary-and-up...and they're also getting in before Dominator comes out in 2021, which is basically designed to capture that entire audience. Under these conditions, it makes sense to relaunch the IP as a new game that targets Gen Z players while also capitalizing on Millennial nostalgia, and with more intuitive rules.

Well, let's consider what the limitations of this system are and what a game designer could invent within them.

There are basically five ways to scale up the offensive threat a card poses:
  • Increasing the number of attacks (whether that's untapping itself, untapping other Digimon, or summoning more Digimon)
  • Increasing the number of Security broken (itself or others, the most dangerous are those like War Greymon that can stack the effect multiple times)
  • Modifying DP (Increasing your own, decreasing the opponent's)
  • Interfering with the opponent's effects (removing Sources, disabling an effect temporarily...or more obtuse things like tapping an opponent's Blocker so they can't block with it this turn)
  • Removing Digimon in some form (returning them to players' hands or deck, sending them to the Trash, doing whatever this game's equivalent of exile/bind/lost zone/removed from game is)
To keep a card balanced and in-flavor for its color/archetype, and change how the opponent interacts with it, a designer can change the costs and conditions to get these effects off. For example, giving a card that gains a lot of DP an on-hit effect, like untapping it when it destroys a Digimon, or giving DP to an ally when it checks Security, pressures the opponent to want to block its attack...but also makes them lose their Blockers because the attacker has a lot of DP and is probably stronger. That would be a more subtle gradual grinder-type effect, suitable for something big and powerful. Maybe Daipenmon or Vikaralamon.

For Banchō he's supposed to be a big strong warrior, but he's also affiliated with a whole group of other Digimon. One way to make his effect feel "badass" would be to have him be part of a series of Banchō cards that power up by having each other on the field, and search for each other by paying different costs after they attack. So Banchō Leomon would have something like:
  1. [During your turn] This Digimon gets +1000 DP for each of your other 'Banchō' Digimon in the Battle Area.
  2. [When it attacks] Discard 1 Level 5 or greater Digimon to summon 1 'Banchō' Digimon other than 'Banchō Leomon' from your deck.
The other four Banchō Digimon would presumably have effects meant to synergize with this, with one resolving when summoned, another mid-battle phase, and at least one would probably be a utility effect meant to mitigate the fact that you're running way too many high-level Digimon. A support-oriented effect that keeps things interesting while still having a fair cost could be something like "[During battle] When your other 'Banchō' Digimon's attack is blocked, you may pay 2 Memory and put this Digimon into that Digimon's Evolution Sources, to turn that Digimon to the Active state." You lose a Digimon on the field, 2 Memory, and 1k power to untap Banchō Leo, but you also gain whatever inheritable effect that Digimon you sacrificed had, and can attack again.

Alternatively, you could theory up a Banchō Leomon that's more of a lone warrior. We already have some examples of those from the Starter Decks, cards that can attack multiple times solo while gaining extra DP and flipping more Security. Those cards are less flavorful, but there's still room for unique twists. Metal Garurumon can untap at no cost but only once per turn, imagine a Banchō Leomon that could untap as many times as you can pay a particular Memory cost. (Maybe give it an effect where it can tap other allied Digimon to gain a certain amount of Memory, so you tap all of your others and go all-in on attacking again and again with Leo alone.) Or one that could only be blocked by cards with lower DP than itself, so it could only be gotten rid of by effects that destroy a Digimon outright, or by flipping over a Security that happened to be a stronger Digimon. There's a lot of ways to make a card feel cool, badass, or flashy. If anything the hard part is keeping them balanced while staying true to the idea behind the card.

...That said, I don't think we'll see effects quite this complex right out the gate. Generally, first boosters try to introduce basic concepts to the game, since it's a learning process for everyone. The really powerful effects will be straightforward stuff like a Security effect that Rests all of the attacking player's Digimon. Also, with color being the only thing restricting evolution, we probably won't see that many Ultimates right out the gate. Early on I think we'll get a lot of lower-level cards: Blockers of different levels, different variations of the same effect at different levels, and a lot of "incomplete" lines that will be finished by later sets. Like Vamdemon might be in this set, but Venom Vamdemon would be saved for a set coming out around the same time as the corresponding episodes of the reboot.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A little bit of good news: A lot of big name chain stores are taking reservations for the first Booster and Starters in Japan. Hobby Station, Card Labo, Yellow Submarine...the biggest one is Card Kingdom, Japan's largest national hobby chain, which previously played kingmaker by aggressively pushing Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card Buddyfight. They never gave Digimon the time of day before, until the Battle Spirits collab sets helped revive BS. Stores are also pushing the promo pack collab to try and convert Battle Spirits players to Digimon players. It might not seem like much just seeing it on social media, but it matters considering so few stores took a chance on the Appmon TCG back when it was new.
This is good news, I'm glad there's been a push to covert Battle Spirits players. I've seen you mention the whole Digimon saving BS thing before, whenever you get the time would you mind elaborating a bit more on that? I've been curious about it for some time lol.

I think this change was necessary. Digimon hasn't been a mainstream or popular card game in Japan since pre-Alpha, and Bandai's been trying to fish for a game with the kind of staying power Takara and Bushiroad TCGs have found. The new rules will probably work in the game's favor--Duel Masters is currently the best-selling TCG in Japan, but it has 18 years of cards in the format and an extensive banlist that turns people off to it. This ruleset is similar enough that it's easy for Japanese players to jump right in, and the Starter Decks are the lowest-priced entry point in the entire market. Right now is a good time for Bandai to go in too, because the bigger companies have a weakened position and there's not a lot of competition from smaller games. (Most mid-sized devs were focusing on digital TCGs up until everything but Shadowverse and Hearthstone crashed.) In terms of paper games, Cardfight!! Vanguard halved in revenue, Future Card Buddyfight is dangerously close to being discontinued, Yu-Gi-Oh!'s player base is averaging older in Japan, and Pokémon TCG saw a major boom driven by JPN YouTubers turn to bust around this year's world championships. With Vanguard being refocused on an older audience and making a lot of bad financial decisions, and Buddyfight winding down, there's room for a new TCG targeting late elementary-and-up...and they're also getting in before Dominator comes out in 2021, which is basically designed to capture that entire audience. Under these conditions, it makes sense to relaunch the IP as a new game that targets Gen Z players while also capitalizing on Millennial nostalgia, and with more intuitive rules.
Seems to be the intended audience for the new Rush Duel format for YGO as well, so hopefully the lower prices and better marketing will ensure Digimon finds success there.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a lot of stuff to read but I think I better judge first when they release or new videos. I think Bantyo groups should have "Loner" effects but to support "alllies" to get buffed so hard which I view it as it's Bancho-like and Battle effects involved when only one card remains at your side to maintain longer in battling.

Garmore

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a lot of stuff to read but I think I better judge first when they release or new videos. I think Bantyo groups should have "Loner" effects but to support "alllies" to get buffed so hard which I view it as it's Bancho-like and Battle effects involved when only one card remains at your side to maintain longer in battling.
Are you saying some sort of multi-effect cards? An effect alone and an effect with other Bancho?

In my experience, card advantage trumps whatever effects they could probably attatch to that. I worry that a “standing alone” mechanic would generally be underpowered compared to decks that generate advantage.

And I’d hope the Bancho deck would be better than that...

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never play Duel Masters or Chrono Clash to read their effects so all of those effect cards ended up being "copy & pasted" involved with ATK manipulation and direct attacks for win or summoning that seemed same to me even Yugioh, too.
Yugioh have "Create a card" topics helped a lot to open so widely or focused combo designing that gives you vague ideas of what to design for.

So even, you are right about soloing alone isn't enough strong to make it into tournament tier lists but that is what "Bancho" about. If the lone Bantyo is out, then activate to summon for free to have another Bantyo to "tag out" like Yugioh's "Sin" and "Gladiator Beasts" effect combined. My idea for Bancho effects are like "When battling, you have three options to choice one: 1# Discard a card to not to be destroyed in battle. 2# Take it doubled from any damage and it's not destroyed once. 3# If destroyed, summon one with the different Bancho name and gain the half ATK of the fallen member. As long as this card remains "alone", gain ATK 500+ every time it battle or destroy. Something like that. but again, having so high expectations may be just too much for "Bancho" to bring disappointment.

Garmore

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never play Duel Masters or Chrono Clash to read their effects so all of those effect cards ended up being "copy & pasted" involved with ATK manipulation and direct attacks for win or summoning that seemed same to me even Yugioh, too.
Yugioh have "Create a card" topics helped a lot to open so widely or focused combo designing that gives you vague ideas of what to design for.

So even, you are right about soloing alone isn't enough strong to make it into tournament tier lists but that is what "Bancho" about. If the lone Bantyo is out, then activate to summon for free to have another Bantyo to "tag out" like Yugioh's "Sin" and "Gladiator Beasts" effect combined. My idea for Bancho effects are like "When battling, you have three options to choice one: 1# Discard a card to not to be destroyed in battle. 2# Take it doubled from any damage and it's not destroyed once. 3# If destroyed, summon one with the different Bancho name and gain the half ATK of the fallen member. As long as this card remains "alone", gain ATK 500+ every time it battle or destroy. Something like that. but again, having so high expectations may be just too much for "Bancho" to bring disappointment.
No offense, but you did just name one of the worst deck mechanics ive ever seen. In any card game, you generally need to be able to create a board in order to win. And from what we’ve seen of digimon 2020, it doesnt seem very different.

I mean, the Bancho digimon are like, a team that fights for justice. Wouldn’t it fit more for them to work together? Sort of like, while we’re naming rogue decks, Deskbots?

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
D: I really miss the old days of Yugioh you know? Before... Handtraps, Insane combos, certain effect wordings to abuse, etc....

So Gladiator Beast effects are no good? Hmm Team fights for justice and work together to ward off any threats... I only can think up of Fortune Ladies since they respond to each other so well although Windy is odd one. Why Deskbots? Their effects aren't even Bancho-like... Too thick BlackWing-like with ATK powering up.

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've seen you mention the whole Digimon saving BS thing before, whenever you get the time would you mind elaborating a bit more on that? I've been curious about it for some time lol.
So I guess first of all, I should show you some data:
Image Thumbnail (custom)
This is April-December 2017 sales data aggregated by Media Create, which does monthly, quarterly, and annual reports on the industry's growth, based on the Japanese fiscal year. In English:
  1. Duel Masters (16.2 billion yen)
  2. Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG (15.4b)
  3. Cardfight!! Vanguard (3.8b)
  4. Weiss Schwarz (3.3b)
  5. Future Card Buddyfight (3.1b)
  6. Pokémon TCG (2.6b)
  7. Magic: The Gathering (2.4b)
  8. Battle Spirits (2.2b)
  9. Selector Infected Wixoss (800 million yen)
  10. Z/X (800m)
  11. Love Live! School Idol Collection (600m)
  12. Fire Emblem Cipher (600m)
  13. Shironeko TCG (350m)
  14. ChaOS (250m)
  15. Lycée (240m)
1 billion yen is equal to about 9 million US dollars. So currency converted, in 8 months Duel Masters pulled in ~$144,000,000, while Battle Spirits down in eighth place only got ~$18,000,000. That's a lot less but it's still not bad, right? It's more than Wixoss and Z/X...except that BS was a much larger outfit, and around seven years earlier Battle Spirits was in Vanguard's spot. The unexpected success of Vanguard (2011) and Buddyfight (2013) gradually edged BatoSupi out of the spotlight, its anime that had been running continuously on TV since 2008 ended up discontinued after March 2017, and there was concern over whether or not the franchise would survive in the long run. (Kinda the situation Buddyfight is in now...and Digimon itself was in circa 2002.)

Enter Digimon. The first Battle Spirits x Digimon Collaboration Set launched September 2017, then you had CB03 in February 2018. On the next annual report, covering Spring 2017 to Spring 2018, we got this:
  1. Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG (23.4 billion yen)
  2. Duel Masters (22.2b)
  3. Cardfight!! Vanguard (5.4b)
  4. Weiss Schwarz (4.9b)
  5. Future Card Buddyfight (4b)
  6. Pokémon TCG (3.5b)
  7. Battle Spirits (3.3b)
  8. Magic: The Gatheirng (3.1b)
  9. Selector Infected Wixoss (1.6b)
  10. Z/X (900 million yen)
Now this report included some of the same data as the previous one, but shifted the perspective forward several months so it left out BatoSupi's less profitable first quarter of '17 and included the more profitable last quarter of '17 and first of '18. Those last two quarters where Digimon Collaboration Boosters were launched bumped the TCG's total revenue up a billion. Then, CB05 came out in May alongside a Digimon-themed Starter Deck, and we got this out of the monthly report for May 2018:
  1. Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG (2 billion yen)
  2. Duel Masters (1.9b)
  3. Battle Spirits (500 million yen)
  4. Magic (400m)
  5. Weiss Schwarz (350m)
  6. Future Card Buddyfight (300m)
  7. Pokemon (230m)
  8. Selector Infected Wixoss (160m)
  9. Cardfigth!! Vanguard (160m)
  10. Z/X (160m)
BatoSupi was the third best-selling game in general for the month the fifth Collaboration Booster came out. Of course there were other product launches for Battle Spirits released between Digimon sets, like a Kamen Rider collab, the Dream Decks, and the 43rd and 44th main boosters. The Collab Booster and Collab Starter also came out in the last week of the month. But in general, core players either preorder or purchase the bulk of their product in the first few week after launch, and retailer orders are based on a combination of those two factors, so May sales data would have been primarily made up of the Digimon Starter Deck and fifth CB.

At this point Battle Spirits was back on its feet, Bandai kept accelerating with more product releases, and by 2019 the game was healthy enough that they were able to greenlight a new series of anime films set after the two most popular seasons of the show, Battle Spirits Shounen Gekiha Dan & its sequel Brave. (yes, they gave Battle Spirits the Adventure Tri treatment.) The end result of this was BatoSupi entering 2020 as the #4 TCG in Japan, making just under 770 million yen/$7 million in the month of January. (that ranking list is given in thousands of yen as the base unit.) From all this data we know that the series had a hard time and that it recovered with Digimon's help, but I'd like to touch on why that worked.

By now you may have heard about the DIGIMADO/Digiwindow fan conventions/tournaments. Digimon in Japan has a particularly rich history with regards to its TCGs, and its card game products produced an especially close-knit community of fans online, big enough to make running events every year viable. The Digimon TCG fan community is actually bigger than what we see in those live events, as a lot of people can't make it to every meetup for one reason or another. There was effectively a base of Digimon card fans that were waiting for a new game to come along, and Battle Spirits provided a convenient outlet for that. It helped that you could get memorabilia in the form of free set posters from your locals' extras, and playmats given out to tournament winners, and the Digimon cards themselves were reasonably strong in the context of BatoSupi. When local game stores publish photos from BS tournaments, it shows things like players posing with Alpha or Hyper Colosseum cards, or sleeving their decks in older Digimon sleeves. So this game became the closest thing those fans had to an active Digimon TCG, and their presence helped raise attendance numbers at weekly events to rebuild the fragmented BS community, which in turn made people more willing to go in because there were already a lot of players, which got the game to the point that Bandai could do more and more collabs beyond just Digimon and push out more product at a pace comparable to the bigger games. As a result, card shops now aren't so skeptical of a taking orders on and hosting tournaments for a new Digimon TCG, because the IP helped them rebuild a customer base they thought was gone for good. I think the fact that the official Digimon TCG Twitter account is close to 6000 followers after just about one month, while the Appmon TCG account still only has ~700, speaks to how much more enthusiasm there is for this game.

Seems to be the intended audience for the new Rush Duel format for YGO as well, so hopefully the lower prices and better marketing will ensure Digimon finds success there.
It's absolutely the same audience. Konami has an aging demographic issue in that their YGO revenue is primarily driven by a much older base of customers than their target demo, and they're trying to fix that by getting in on the same niche Bandai and Bushiroad are gearing up for. That's what the streamlined rules and card redesign are all about. The timing of it's no accident either--Digimon TCG starts in April, first Rush Duel starter and booster set is in April, Dominator would have launched in the same time frame had Rebirth For You not taken its place in the production order.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, that is some fantastic data Touya! I think Bandai might have a perfect storm situation with the new Digimon TCG, lots of factors are lining up nicely for its launch. I really hope it becomes popular enough for an English release so I can get in on the fun.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow interesting. Let's hope there won't be more new card games. Honestly those current card games didn't get extinct (Is there any?) and still remaining too STRONG. I guess Japan is small country so it's easier to introduce it to people. I can see the card shops have it easy unlike US who favor less towards card shops and removed card shops along with book stores.............. Even Toy 'r' Us.