Best and Worst Digimon Games (Your opinion)

Monsuta Man

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is strictly opinions, no wrong answers.

Best: Hacker's Memory.

Why? It had Kaiser Greymon.......That is why.......it also had Mastemon, as cyber Sleuth does. This Digimon is rather rare in games.....
Seriously though, there was many things wrong with it.........But, it was the few Digi-Games that did not make me fall asleep while playing. Speaking of...........

Worst: Digimon Masters Online.

Why? It is pretty much a grind, and nothing more. Not really much of a story there; and the combat is not immersive. I tried to like this game, as a guy who grew up watching Digimon in the mid-90s. However, I literally found myself falling asleep....

Honorable Mentions:

Best: Digimon World: Next World Order, World DS & Battle Spirit titles.

Worst: Digimon ReArise & Card Battle.

Do you have any favorite, or least favorite Digimon video games?

restlessdreams88

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best: Digimon World: Next Order, This is what the world games should have been. It was easy to get into but also deep enough that you could get sucked in and play for a few hours at a time. I also really like the selection of digimon you could become.

Worst: Any of the phone games they are always the worst. But as far as games go Digimon Masters Online or Digimon World 4. Both are terrible and aren't really thought out when it comes to design. A digimon mmo would be amazing but masters is not it.

Omnimon Zwart

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon has a great selection of games in its roster.

I think Re Digitize Decode was the best Digimon game. The story, artwork and world all peaked in this game to me. Next Order was a great successor but I preferred the world and story of Re Digitize 100% more. I even are Digitize had more content for the game including more Digimon and accessories. Also the legacy battles were my favorite addition to those who like the anime.

As for the worst, it would have to be Digimon All-Star Rumble. That was the death of a fun fighting series but it felt like they were intentionally trying to kill that series off. With the endless hours I enjoyed with Rumble Arena 1 and 2, I really thought DASR was horrendous. The horrible VA, clunky last gen gameplay, and weak selection I wish the game was never made. It was a step back for the rumble arena series and the whole digimon franchise

some honorable mentions for best game:
Cyber Sleuth - Best Story game with amazing storytelling. Loved every single mission and side mission. I chose this over HM because HM really didn’t deliver as well since it recycled so much. Still a solid game. I do wish the Story series had Digivolving mid battle incorporated. I definitely wouldn’t wanna get rid of being able to walk around with Megas too but just like World games I think that should be a little harder to get

Digimon Adventure (PSP) was a really fun way to enjoy the anime but with awesome warp evolutions for all the cast. I wish every season got this but we know Digimon is gonna ride that Adventure 01 out til they lose all their fans.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best: Hackers Memory. Best story, characters, and roster

Worst: Championship. Doesn't have a story and is basically a mobile game before they existed.

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best: Probably either of the Cyber Sleuth games or Digimon World 2003. I'd say easily Digimon World 2003, but I'm not sure how much of that is the good ol' nostalgia goggles fogging up!
Worst: Probably Digimon Masters Online due to the sheer anger it brings me whenever I try to hatch an egg and it ends up failing (80% of the time). Every so often I'll get into it for a week or so and then that'll happen....But I guess I can't really expect much from a F2P game.

Honourable mention to All Star Rumble for being, as far as I know, the reason that we saw more releases in English.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honourable mention to All Star Rumble for being, as far as I know, the reason that we saw more releases in English.
For both categories, I assume.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For me personally, the original PSX titles Digimon World, Digimon World 2 and 3 will always be special. Digimon World 2 is my absolute favorite. The worst I've played by far is Digimon World 4 and the GBA game Digimon Racing.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best Game:
Kind of a draw between Digimon World 3 and Hacker's Memory I guess.
Digimon World 3 is a game that I simply always enjoy playing.
I enjoyed the graphics (the parts which weren't 3D but even some models looked good enough for PSX), I enjoyed the music , I enjoyed the kind-of maze like level design, I enjoyed the card game, I enjoyed the flexible evolution paths and I even enjoyed the plot because the game actually had one and there was even a twist that wasn't completely predictable.
It was kind of grindy for sure but this could only affect its rating negatively if comparable games in the franchise actually managed that fix that issue... but they never did. Least of all the Story games, which made matters worse by not only stripping down the flexibility of DW3's evolution system but by actually taking levels away, and forcing you to re-level your partners multiple times, which actually isn't reducing grinding at all.
Hackers Memory I mostly include as a tribute to its level of craftsmanship, even if I didn't quite have as much fun with it as I had with DW3 in terms of gameplay. Like Cyber Sleuth it's an actully decent looking game, but unlike Cyber Sleuth it has more to offer than a "save the world with your pseudo-harem" affair in terms of plot. It also had some characters that were not one-dimensional and kind of sticks to a recognizable theme throughout its story, even if the story itself was kind of grating with its at times extremely ham-fisted sentimentality that basically reduced it to a soap opera.

Worst:
Digimon Park.
Okay, perhaps this is not entirely fair and you might even argue that Digimon Park was one of the most accomplished Digimon games in the context of living up to the full potential of its genre. After all it successfully does what it sets out to do: Stitching together a collection of semi-educational mini-games for Japanese preschoolers.
But it is also the absolute truth that even the most incompetent of the other Digimon games offered me more entertainment and longer lasting engagement than this perhaps three hour long slog of tedious tasks and extremely sluggish interfaces.
At least Digimon Medley, which might almost be able to compete with Digimon Park in terms of lackluster and simplistic gameplay, offered some alternate perspectives and versions of familiar events. Digimon Park on the other hand is theoretically set in the framework of the first three seasons but I can't think of anything that enriches the setting of any of them.
Does Patamon really need to care about crossing the street when the traffic light goes green when he can just fly?
Is it meant to be canon that Gomamon likes to spend his free time fishing plastic bags and empty soda cans out of the net ocean?
Some Digimon games were... not the most rewarding gaming experience; This one was just a waste of my time.

Mattman324

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best: The second of the two Digital Card games. It's a very rare Digimon game in that you don't spend 75% or more of the runtime doing pointless busywork - you only spend 50% of it, almost entirely in the postgame! Supposedly the first was good too, but I have yet to try it. The card game itself is shockingly fun too, even if not particularly well balanced, but given how old it is that's pretty absurd.

Worst: Adventure PSP, because it plays like shit, is literally just a retread of the Adventure plot (if I wanted to do the plot of Adventure, you know, I'd just rewatch the show) and makes absolutely no attempts to adjust to the fact that it's a goddamn video game, and because the grinding is on the level of shit like World 2 or World 2003 without any good payoff. And also because everything it does right is done better by Cyber Sleuth Complete, and it's not even close.

I'd say World X, but World X is a torture implement disguised cleverly as a video game. It doesn't count. Mobage also don't count because gambling inherently has to be thought of differently. And if there's another worse game... then I haven't played it, so...

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Played: World, World 2, World 3, Dusk, ReDigitize, Next 0rder, Cyber Sleuth, Hacker's Memory, Allstar Rumble.

Best: Hacker's Memory for it's great story and attack animations. (Also ReDigitize for the World series.)

Worst: I haven't finished it, so maybe it's not fair to say, but, Digimon World 2, simply for the fact that to Digivolve beyond Champion, you have to combine and devolve your Digimon. Since the Digimon anime has conditioned me to see Digimon as individuals and not just collectable monsters, I don't like the mechanic of have to constantly stick them in a blender to refine them. I didn't even really like using the Loading function in the Cyber Sleuth games.