Before 2020, what did you think were the chances of a Digimon Adventure reboot happening?

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For me, I started wondering about the idea around 2013, when I rewatched the original Adventure series. How about you guys?

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
None, as I presumed Last Kizuna was a send-off for Digimon Adventure and the fans that grew up with it.
Their likely plan was to continue drawing in new generation of fans. Xros Wars and Gacha-whatsit weren't making bank so now it's back to Classic Sonic/Gen 1 Pokemon stratagem.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn't occur to me at all. Given that most seasons start with a clean slate, I figured it was either that or sequels to older seasons. Plus Kizuna came out in such close proximity, which was the closer to Adventure, so I was pretty surprised when the new project was announced.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess it realistically made sense but I would have rejected the idea as it would have been something I didn't want to see.
Well guess what, past self? I wound up liking an Adventure reboot a lot :oops:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Them doing one never came to mind, and I thought they might try and do many sequels where they eventually get to 2027 (and then beyond) in the original universe, but had someone told me they'd do a reboot I'd say "makes sense".

So basically, it never came to mind - but had some put the idea in my mind (before it happened) I would've said there was a very high chance of it happening at some point. Reboots are the new thing these days.

Although I would've expected an entire new series instead, a reboot makes more sense with the recent patterns of the franchise since 2014.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not one bit. Maybe we'd get some Tamers stuff. But a reboot? Not even a thought.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was something that could always happen "eventually", it was just a bit strange that it happened right at this time.

Reboots aren't new, popular concepts, settings, characters have been rebooted to hell and back since people first started telling stories. Things repeat, and for Toei Adventure was the thing that always sold no matter what. Even when the characters characters got older in tri and Kizuna there was still merchandise for their kid designs, that was still the actual source. So how long would they go on without returning to that source more directly than usual?

I know when Kizuna was announced someone brought up the possibility of Kizuna itself being "a reboot with older characters" (Which was of course wrong but correctness isn't really the point here) and someone at some point probably thought the same thing about tri.

Anyway that it happened isn't the interesting part but, how much they decided to diverge. It seems most people expected a more straightforward retelling with less divergence.

Eddie Stilson

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I figured we'd see either a reboot/another continuation of Adventure or maybe a sequel to Tamers.

Let's face it, those are the only seasons of Digimon most people care about, Adventure moreso than Tamers.

Oddly enough, Tamers was sort of vindicated by history. When it came out in America, it was a divisive season and was more of a "Love It or Hate It" season as opposed to Adventure and Zero Two, but then the massive failure of Frontier probably helped a lot of fans warm up to Tamers and as they got older, those who rewatched the show liked it a lot more.

Zero Two was once seen as on par with the original Adventure, but now it's seen as a mid-tier season when compared to the original Adventure and Tamers, mainly due to the finale and the unresolved plot hooks like Daemon and the Dark Ocean. When you're a kid watching it on Fox Kids and Fox Family when it was first airing, it's not quite as glaring.

Of course, I'd love to see a reboot of Tamers for 2021 as well. Or a sequel that shows more of the Digital World,

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Totally unexpected for me, mostly cos of the timing when Kizuna was being announced. In the long-run it would make sense at some point, though I think they could've held it off had they done a better job in tri. and turned it into a full season or two where they could actually have room to explore other elements hinted at like slice-of-life or romance or even horror (which would be awesome). I'd love a 50-episode series showing them as teens.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
what's even more unexpected than the reboot for me is the way they're handling it. No gimmicks to sell toys outside the already fan loved Digivice and Digivolution, keeping an art style very close to the original art style, frequent ambiance having the show be carried by visuals instead of dialogue (think of how much more talkative every other Digimon anime series has been), removing Digivolution cutaways (so far), no new Digimon introduced to the main cast (so far), and probably some other examples I can't think of at the moment. The decisions just don't feel nearly as corporate as other Digimon animes and it's noticeable to me in a children's series that's always been tied to toy sales

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
what's even more unexpected than the reboot for me is the way they're handling it. No gimmicks to sell toys outside the already fan loved Digivice and Digivolution, keeping an art style very close to the original art style, frequent ambiance having the show be carried by visuals instead of dialogue (think of how much more talkative every other Digimon anime series has been), removing Digivolution cutaways (so far), no new Digimon introduced to the main cast (so far), and probably some other examples I can't think of at the moment. The decisions just don't feel nearly as corporate as other Digimon animes and it's noticeable to me in a children's series that's always been tied to toy sales
That's a good point. It has little in the way of Merch-fluff.
Also, it's…a lot more serious? Haven't watched the original in a while, but the tone of that show was pretty goofy for how intense the situations were. About three episodes and there's been zero wacky-reaction faces.

Secretly do hope evolution scenes are back in, and every Digimon can actually get some equal budget love. Tri's going in on elaborate 3D CGi and then ditching it post-Champions was quite the sight to behold.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's been a while since I've watched the original Adventure, but I don't remember anything particularly silly about it, apart from the fact of its being Digimon. I do think that the reboot has had a lot more tension in it so far. Episode 2, for example, was pretty much constant action, without any of the downtime the Chosen Children got in most episodes of the original series.