MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The drip feed continues...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

During a briefing last month regarding their fiscal year that ended in March 2018, Toei responded to some investor questions regarding various plans.

The summary of the Q&A they gave only included 4 questions: 1 which was about Toei's initiatives regarding overseas distribution, 2 regarding upcoming plans for Dragon Ball, and 1 was about the upcoming Digimon project.

Q: It seems the Digimon series has a new project in the works; could you share with us any plans that you have for the project, at least what you are allowed to share?

A: All 6 parts of Digimon Adventure tri. have now been screened in theaters. By screening this movie, which is primarily aimed at both male and female audiences in their 20s, on a smaller scale in about 15-20 theaters, we were able to make this project a success. The new project will, in addition to this core audience, also be aimed at a slightly wider audience.
So based on the answer, Toei specifically aimed tri. at people in their 20s (a sequel to Adventure, announced for it's 15 anniversary being aimed generically at people in their 20s won't really surprise anyone, but since they are discussing things with investors they are explaining things from a financial perspective to people who aren't generally going to be fans.)

The new project intends to aim at the same core audience that made tri. a success for Toei, while also attempting to expand wider.

With tri. being the biggest success Digimon has had in a long time, it makes logical sense that they'd want to try and primarily aim at the core group that made it successful, while also attempting to increase the size of the audience.

Thanks to garururou for the info about the document and garm for the translation.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It will be interesting to see if the upcoming Digimon project can expand its audience to people in their 30s and even 40s...

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The idea of a wider target audience sounds like a good idea to me. Tri was such a niche product, even if it did well. I would like to see them maybe try and net new Digimon fans with this project!

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds even more like it's going to be Tri 2. Maybe with the 02 characters this time around. Can't wait to see what they mean by widening their audience

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds even more like it's going to be Tri 2. Maybe with the 02 characters this time around. Can't wait to see what they mean by widening their audience
Honestly, I do not know how you can conclude that Toei talks about 02 characters in this Q&A.

I imagined that the new project would have a wider broadcast (the films were pretty limited).

Last edited:

Omnimon Zwart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It will be interesting to see if the upcoming Digimon project can expand its audience to people in their 30s and even 40s...
By adding stories involving divorce, alcoholism, debt and crippling depression

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I do not know how you can conclude that Toei talks about 02 characters in this Q&A.

I imagined that the new project would have a wider broadcast (the films were pretty limited).
"
I didn't mean it like that. I said that it sounds like it's going to be tri 2, since they said "The new project will, in addition to this core audience," with the "core audience" being Tri's audience. I just said that maybe the 02 character would be around this time since they appeared in the final Tri movie.

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty happy Digimon is now a competitor with Shin Megami Tensei/Persona instead of Pokemon, considering the designer said he was heavily inspired by the former instead of the latter.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty happy Digimon is now a competitor with Shin Megami Tensei/Persona instead of Pokemon, considering the designer said he was heavily inspired by the former instead of the latter.
They certainly chose a good franchise to model themselves after, especilaly coming from the highest rated PS4 game of 2017. Most of the time when people go "what game should I get like Persona" you get "Digimon" on there from 90% of posts. Is good stuff

Shame people tend to only suggest the first one though

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't mean it like that. I said that it sounds like it's going to be tri 2, since they said "The new project will, in addition to this core audience," with the "core audience" being Tri's audience. I just said that maybe the 02 character would be around this time since they appeared in the final Tri movie.
I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your previous words.

You're right, it seems pretty likely the new project is a continuation for Tri (although it seems the staff will change for this new project).

Last edited:

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
By adding stories involving divorce, alcoholism, debt and crippling depression
Divorce: check - just ask about TK & Matt's parents
Crippling depression: check - just ask Jeri lol

shaikgb

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Debt is also covered by Masaru/Marcus mochi making friend.
They certainly chose a good franchise to model themselves after, especilaly coming from the highest rated PS4 game of 2017. Most of the time when people go "what game should I get like Persona" you get "Digimon" on there from 90% of posts. Is good stuff

Wait. We can actually date all of the digimon we meet at the same time and get trashed on valentine day?

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope the next big thing in Digimon will debut on the small screens unlike Tri with the theatrical releases.

DigiGrader

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
By making a continuation of 3, would't they limit their viewer even more? People who don't watch tri would not watch its second part and not everyone who watches tri will watch its second part.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
More Adventure with more adventuring, is what I'd say.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Debt is also covered by Masaru/Marcus mochi making friend.

Wait. We can actually date all of the digimon we meet at the same time and get trashed on valentine day?
they didn't go as far as dating lol though Keisuke has a harem which includes a Lillymon

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
expanding the audience could lead to something new fresh series like Savers, since it's also meant for Adventure franchise who had grown up but is also friendly for newcomers. There's no way they could expand the audience for Tri's sequel, since the audiences are gonna be more narrow. Just like how 02 is to the original Adventure, there's no way the 02 audiences are wider than Adventure.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
expanding the audience could lead to something new fresh series like Savers, since it's also meant for Adventure franchise who had grown up but is also friendly for newcomers. There's no way they could expand the audience for Tri's sequel, since the audiences are gonna be more narrow. Just like how 02 is to the original Adventure, there's no way the 02 audiences are wider than Adventure.
Yeah I hope it's not a direct sequel to any Adventure series. It could even be in the same universe as long as it wasn't direct I guess, it's just that after tri and 02 I'm really tired of them trying to force sequels. (I liked 02 but it had problems due to that obviously.) i hope they have a different character designer too, maybe like the designs in Links? It's the same designer as Adventure but they look so modern and stylish. And please no oavs the wait between releases kills me.