Are You Glad Tri. Exists?

Are You Glad Tri. Exists?

• Total voters

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that we shouldn't forget that these are 17 year old (or younger) kids who are trying to cope with life itself, and not soldiers conscripted to fight big bad acpolymon. Most of the 'filler' are simply the kids trying to juggle their own lives and that of the digidestined. They are even more clueless than we are, being fed stories that might or might not be true. I think the problem is that the movies tend to drag these scenes on for many minutes more than necessary.
While I think it's a matter of preference on whether or not you think those scenes drag, because people like different things, you are a 100% right about the purpose of the 'filler'. Many adults wouldn't know how to handle everything that is happening, so we shouldn't expect kids to be able to. Even if said kids have handled dangers in the past, it doesn't mean they should be able to handle life and everything else flawlessly later on. They're scared, they're excited, they're falling in love, they're having problems with each other... those things come to the surface when there is downtime in life, and it would be poor storytelling to act as though these teenagers are that fundamentally different from any others.

RockmanX

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You acknowledge that Tri isn't like a 'traditional' Digimon series, but then go on to complain that it doesn't follow the format of the older series. You can't think of it as 4 or 5 episodes per movie, because that's not how they're being written. If they were, then Tri would have just been released as a regular TV series. It's not an equal comparison.
Well, the guy i was talking to was saying that its just like any other Digimon TV show not a movie so i compared it with the Digimon 01. Btw i have no idea why it isn't released weekly or monthly as episodes. A month or 2 for one episode is very reasonable.

>Yggdrasil, Evil Gennai, & Alphamon as villians. Possibly Homeostasis too. Save Meicoomon and save the world. Villains and goals.
None of them are villains lol we have an ambiguous multi-party situation here just like we had in Tamers&Savers. Everyone have their reasons for doing stuff, our heroes are just clueless idiots who don't understand what's even happening. They're like waking up to find out that WW3 has been waged and they don't know why, how and when it was started. evil gennai is just like picodevimon, a puppet of the "REAL" villain.

>The merger to Ordinemon has come out of nowhere, but there has also been no time to explain exactly what happened.
I think the time used to waste telling on ghost stories could've been used to build up hikari. We don't need any explaining of how Ordinemon was born, i just want the scenes to organically make sense. They should've given us scenes with hikari losing herself instead of mekio crying and everyone mollycoddling her for the millionth time, that way Odrinemon's appearance wouldn't be so abrupt as we'd know there's something wrong with hikari from the start.

>As I've said before, Tri is more about the kids growing up than the conflict
"Growing up" has nothing to do with pointless filler. In adventure kids grew up too, in fact in ANY story characters grow up as the story moves forward. What i'm saying is that there are scenes of dialogue that goes on for 10-20 minutes which could trimmed down to just 5 minutes and we'd lose nothing of significance. The ONLY movie which focused somewhat decently on the kids "growing up" was Determination where Jou was overburdened with responsibilities and Mimi was getting called out by Koushiro for being overbearing, which showed that Koushiro is now better at reading emotions&social situations than he was before. Its all character growth, i can see that but this is FAR from being the central focus of Tri. I feared this but last movie pretty much made it clear that everyone except for Omegamon is fodder compared to Jesmon&Alphamon, in the end them reaching Ultimate/Mega level is absolutely pointless(of course they could do something like the team battle against apocalymon but i doubt it cus Tri just wants to be "different").

>there still needed to be a trigger for Meicoomon to start rampaging.
IIRC in Determination, the trigger was Gennai so why not just do that in the first half of the movie.

>So there wasn't an inherent NEED to mention them.
That's ridiculous, they are friends with some of the most OP digimon ever. In a time of crisis like this they should be constantly wondering "Dammit, if only Ken&Davis were here.. where are they!?" that's a normal human reaction i believe they should have not just because how god tier paladin mode is but also because Ken&Davis are their close friends.

>True, that was the suspense, but there were so many moments in there that were easy to throw away. How about taking all the extra time to get to Highton View Terrace, then all the time to get to their own homes? How about the episode where Yamato and Takeru have to go looking for Patamon? I enjoyed them all, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of filler. They could have cut that arc alone in half.
Yes, but adventure was a 50 episode regular/weekly series whereas Tri is a yearly series of 6 movies. Tri doesn't have a lot of room for padding. Adventure got away with entire arc of random hijinks and fetch quest of crests because all the episodes were self-contained with a monster of the week and it still had a ton of episodes left to work with, here the whole of Tri series so far has been just one overarching plot "Meikomon goes berserk" and nothing else. It should've been done&dealt with in 3 movies and the rest of the 3 movies could've focused on something else like the Digi-sovereign lore and Yggdrasil. Idk just keep the plot moving so we could have great character moments with the kids along with the progression of story. After all, you yourself said that Tri is about the kids and meikomon is just a means to an end a "monster of the week" so to speak.

>True, Meiko has gotten a lot of development, but she had to
Err... Meiko doesn't develop at all, she's been the same character for all 5 movies, her character is just going in circles:-

#1 Meiko is shy and is always feeling down, she's like a pokemon who says "Gomennasai" over&over
#2 Meiko can't deal with Meikomon
#3 Everyone keeps mollycoddling her "Aww, its gonna be okay, don't cry" as if she's a special needs kid.

She's like 17 and she's been nothing but a deadweight for all 6 movies, contrast this with Takeru who was a 7 yr old crybaby who'd easily get lost&manipulated without yamato's supervision, he went from that to tricking pinnochiomon and destroying his plans, then he goes on to brave piedmon all by himself. That's character growth right there, now if meiko was explicitly mentioned be mentally handicapped and emotionally fragile i could understand but right now she's just a big baby who's given the responsibility of looking after another baby. Speaking of which, why is Meikomon ignoring everyone? I thought all the other digimon were her friends now? why doesn't she go to them for help? I guess she's suffering from the same disease which makes everyone forget that Ken&davis exist, eh? Digimons for the most part are written as an after thought, especially agumon who's 99% dialogue consists of food jokes. On a sidenote, i really find it funny that people ship Taichi&mekio based on that one scene where Taichi overhears Meiko blurting out her repetitive self-pitying inner monologue and babys her a little like everyone does because she's was acting like an autistic child.

>Piyomon is suddenly a jerk? Did you forget that all the Digimon lost their memories?
Since when does losing memories make you an insensitive jerk? With or without memories piyomons were always shown to be nice&friendly species like all the other digimon in Ep6. Piyomon's attitude was "I'm not even gonna sit besides you cus you bother me!" "You food tastes good but i bet you're a baby murderer, red haired girl!" *Scornful face*. Making piyomon mean spirited like this is just contrived. I'd even go far as to call this a plot hole as the digimon were born with the kids names in mind, that's why they instantly recognised them when they fell from the sky for the first time.

>He sat and ate a bunch of food and talked with Hikari while Vamedemon invaded the real world.
That's not fooling around though, vamdemon arc was when things got real serious in Digimon. The battles now took place in real world with consequences, children had to deal with their parents and also find the 8th child in the middle of all this. Also, vamdemon as a bonus was a very proactive villain who took things in his own hands rather than ordering other henchmen do his job. Villains like this are much more interesting than the "mysterious" villains like the one Tri has(Its just a hunch but i feel like its dagomon as the plot is leading us to dark ocean+hikari), if that's true at least we could finally see the full extent of Hikari's unexplained supernatural powers. Whoa! did i just raise my exceptions? i should not do that...

>If you have no problem wading through filler in other pieces of anime, it shouldn't be such a problem now. And there absolutely is filler in Tamers and Adventure.
Remember DBZ(not the new supercut version called "Kai")? there is indeed a thing called too much filler. DBZ is so mired with it that it suffers from crippling pacing issues and is scientifically impossible for any human being to marathon it. Similarly, while Tri isn't gargantuan in its episode count like Z it deliberately drags the plot to the point that the pacing is slowed down to a crawl. Determination is the best movie writing wise and it just has a fake villain for no good reason other than the fact they wanted to drag the plot, if they made Meicrackmon the main enemy to fight you'd be killing 2 birds with one stone, no need to wait for another movie to have them fight her, get infected, reboot yada-yada.

Last edited:

NekoHaruko

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Who is Meikomon? You are making me want to draw Meiko as a cat. She'd be the cutest cat too.

I disagree with Meiko having her development being reset. With what we know, it's easy to see that the shyness she established at times, like in COnfession was out of shame. She had been tasked with taming a Digimon unwanted by the DIgital World when she was not prepared for it. At the age of 11, Meiko met her partner and things may have seemed OK for a while. But Maki somehow got wind that Meicoomon was the perfect creature for her plans. Perhaps Professor Mochizuki contacted the bureau because he could tell Meicoomon was a special DIgimon. Maki comes to investigate.

After she observes the attack at the lab, she and "Gennai" become partners and use Meicoomon to initiate the reboot. This process takes 6 years. WHo knows how many more times Meicoomon went berserk and nearly killed people, or how many times Alphamon attacked them between that.

not to mention I think the 02 kids were used as pawns in the early stages or to at least get the virus into the digital world one way or another

Flash forward in Reunion Meiko moves to Odaiba. She lost Meicoomon and she has that to worry about, on top of trying to adjust to the bigger city life. If you remember when Alphamon apppears in that movie, Meiko runs towards the commotion because she thinks it's Meicoomon that's causing the evacuation and panic. But it was actually Alphamon.

In Determination she was more comfortable with everyone and could trust them. She could even relax knowing these guys wouldn't be in any real danger because they were CHosen's too. Just like her.

In Confession she's ashamed for what happened. FInally putting two and two together. She realizes that Meicoomon berserk form not only killed Leomon, but that she's the reason why the infection happened in the first place. Meiko even stated with Takeru that she had no idea it'd get this bad. She knew Meicoomon was only a special Digimon, but the infection didn't come to mind until later. SHe couldn't bare to bring herself to say it because she was so ashamed. IF she had said something sooner, maybe it could have been prevented. Meiko also noted that her voice no longer reached Meicoomon. Not only could she not calm down Meicoomon after she killed Leomon, but her partner was the cause of the infection and then the reboot which the DIgimon lose their memories. Of course she's going to feel shame and resentment.

By the end of Confession, she has the will to go to the DW, though late. She does return in Loss and finds her partner, swearing she'll never run again. That she loves Mei-chan for Mei-chan.

After nearly being strangled to death, she tries to calm down Meicoomon again, but at no avail Meicrackmon tries to attack her and now the infection has increased more. I think it's natural that Meiko loses her confidence after all of that.

She acknowledges she just isn't fit to be a Chosen. Her partner is out of control, has caused everyone suffering including herself. IT took a lot for Meiko to say to end it. She may have had a lot of ups and downs. But every character has. She by all means in not a recycled character or "still shy". She kept her promise to not run away, even when it was futile to try to reach her partner. She never stopped.

Meicoomon dying may be their only hope. Meiko knows that....

I want to see Meiko do something reckless next movie. and hopefully the others let her. It worked with them, when they did something stupid, something great happened. So let Meiko do it too...

I feel like I wrote all of the movie by movie stuff before. but never found it.

Last edited:

Mimichan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Despite frustrations about the use of too many still frames, long wait between movies, addition of Meiko/Meicoomon, slow pacing and unanswered questions everywhere....I'm still glad Tri exists! Being able to see and hear characters I have loved nearly 20 years ago come back is just amazing in itself. Hoping movie 6 fixes some of my frustrations though....hoping for less still frames, faster pacing and please give us ANSWERS.

Last edited:

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
None of them are villains lol we have an ambiguous multi-party situation here just like we had in Tamers&Savers. Everyone have their reasons for doing stuff, our heroes are just clueless idiots who don't understand what's even happening. They're like waking up to find out that WW3 has been waged and they don't know why, how and when it was started. evil gennai is just like picodevimon, a puppet of the "REAL" villain.
How are none of them villains? Yggdrasil is trying to defeat humanity for the 'enslavement of Digimon', and is has been manipulating everything. How is that not a villain? Alphamon and Evil Gennai work for Yggdrasil, so they are villains. And you do realise you just contradicted yourself, right? Evil Gennai works for Yggdrasil. That's basically admitting that Yggdrasil is the villain.
I think the time used to waste telling on ghost stories could've been used to build up hikari. We don't need any explaining of how Ordinemon was born, i just want the scenes to organically make sense. They should've given us scenes with hikari losing herself instead of mekio crying and everyone mollycoddling her for the millionth time, that way Odrinemon's appearance wouldn't be so abrupt as we'd know there's something wrong with hikari from the start.
Evidently, you missed the point of that whole sequence then. It was supposed to come out of no where. Ordinemon's appearance was supposed to be abrupt. The point was to show how easily someone can be consumed. Particularly Hikari, who has always been balancing between light and darkness. Plus it's hard to surprise the audience, as was intended, if you spend time showing the character lose herself. And the shock of losing someone you love, like a brother, could easily send someone to a dark place quickly. It doesn't take that much build up.

"Growing up" has nothing to do with pointless filler. In adventure kids grew up too, in fact in ANY story characters grow up as the story moves forward. What i'm saying is that there are scenes of dialogue that goes on for 10-20 minutes which could trimmed down to just 5 minutes and we'd lose nothing of significance. The ONLY movie which focused somewhat decently on the kids "growing up" was Determination where Jou was overburdened with responsibilities and Mimi was getting called out by Koushiro for being overbearing, which showed that Koushiro is now better at reading emotions&social situations than he was before. Its all character growth, i can see that but this is FAR from being the central focus of Tri. I feared this but last movie pretty much made it clear that everyone except for Omegamon is fodder compared to Jesmon&Alphamon, in the end them reaching Ultimate/Mega level is absolutely pointless(of course they could do something like the team battle against apocalymon but i doubt it cus Tri just wants to be "different").
Okay, I really do hope you're being hyperbolic, because there are no scenes that last 10-20 minutes like that. Even the ghost story segment is only 5 minutes. Sure there are things like the school fair, which occurs throughout Determination, but there are many things that happen in that time. It's not all one long block.

But how is it pointless for them to fully evolve, just because they're not as strong as Omegamon? Yamato makes the point to Taichi that they won't always have to rely on Omegamon now. The key word being always. But even if all the others can't handle Jesmon and Alphamon, the likelihood success of the DigiDestined is greatly improved because everyone has fully evolved.Now being honest, part of it is marketing. It's a lot easier to bring people in, especially older fans, if they finally get to see Palmon evolve to Rosemon, than just stopping at Lilimon. But that's
IIRC in Determination, the trigger was Gennai so why not just do that in the first half of the movie.
The trigger was the fight itself and Leomon's infection scaring Meicoomon. As for why not just do that in the first half of the movie? Because we still didn't know anything about Meiko and Meicoomon. Aside from them being partners, we didn't know anything about at the end of Reunion. There had to be some narrative build up with them. Plus Mimi and Jou had to have their stories told, and those stories synched up with the getting to know Meiko (Mimi's to a much greater extent of course).
That's ridiculous, they are friends with some of the most OP digimon ever. In a time of crisis like this they should be constantly wondering "Dammit, if only Ken&Davis were here.. where are they!?" that's a normal human reaction i believe they should have not just because how god tier paladin mode is but also because Ken&Davis are their close friends.
You're confusing 'need' with 'could/should'. I have never denied that the lack of focus on the 02 kids from the main group has felt off. But that doesn't mean they need to be constantly at the forefront of everyone's mind. It's like if you haven't called your parents in a few weeks. Should you, yes. But if there's no reason to believe anything's wrong, you don't need to. Even before Part 1 was released, it was clear the 02 kids would have much less of a role than the originals (though I never expected it to be THIS different), so it shouldn't be hard to accept that they weren't always going to be around. Just because people don't like the way the 02 kids have been treated by Taichi and co., doesn't mean it's not plausible or realistic.
Yes, but adventure was a 50 episode regular/weekly series whereas Tri is a yearly series of 6 movies. Tri doesn't have a lot of room for padding. Adventure got away with entire arc of random hijinks and fetch quest of crests because all the episodes were self-contained with a monster of the week and it still had a ton of episodes left to work with, here the whole of Tri series so far has been just one overarching plot "Meikomon goes berserk" and nothing else. It should've been done&dealt with in 3 movies and the rest of the 3 movies could've focused on something else like the Digi-sovereign lore and Yggdrasil. Idk just keep the plot moving so we could have great character moments with the kids along with the progression of story. After all, you yourself said that Tri is about the kids and meikomon is just a means to an end a "monster of the week" so to speak.
I'm sorry, the whole plot of Tri is "Meicoomon goes berserk"? Meicoomon is the MacGuffin to be sure. But Meicoomon going berserk is not the plot. It's a major plot point to be sure, but it's not the plot. And to say the story hasn't been moving isn't true:
1) Digimon are suddenly appearing and they're quite strong.
2) There's something wrong the the Digital World, and an infection that's making things go wrong.
3) Crap, Meicoomon's infected, she's crazy strong, and if we don't stop her, we may lose our Digimon forever.
4) Okay, we want to get our Digimon back, lets get back to the Digital World.
5) Alright one of our oldest allies has turned evil, brought back some old enemies, and is working for some evil entity who wants to defeat humanity. And apparently Meicoomon's power is key to that plan.
6) New bad guy wants to unleash Meicoomon's power, other supernatural power wants to destroy Meicoomon to prevent that.
7) Well, our leader just seemingly sacrificed himself, so we're down a man, and we've lost Tailmon, since Hikari has lost herself to the darkness. And we're fighting a new giant monster demon. New evil entity's plan is pretty good.
You don't have to like the screen time Meiko and Meicoomon have been getting, but they are not the final problem.
Err... Meiko doesn't develop at all, she's been the same character for all 5 movies, her character is just going in circles:
If you can't see that Meiko going from wanting to save Meicoomon to admitting that she needs to be killed doesn't require some development, I can't even dignify the rest of what you said with a response. Also, see NekoKaruko's post for a good example of Meiko's growth.
Since when does losing memories make you an insensitive jerk? With or without memories piyomons were always shown to be nice&friendly species like all the other digimon in Ep6. Piyomon's attitude was "I'm not even gonna sit besides you cus you bother me!" "You food tastes good but i bet you're a baby murderer, red haired girl!" *Scornful face*. Making piyomon mean spirited like this is just contrived. I'd even go far as to call this a plot hole as the digimon were born with the kids names in mind, that's why they instantly recognised them when they fell from the sky for the first time.
Having a different personality can be a real side effect of amnesia and memory loss. Because you no longer have the memories of what made you who you are, you are no longer the same person. So it's not unreasonable to think that the Digimon might have a different personality to an extent. I do agree that it could be a minor plot hole, but we also don't know how long it took for the Digimon to know that they were supposed to have partners before adventure started. They also weren't as connected to the Digivices as they were before.
That's not fooling around though, vamdemon arc was when things got real serious in Digimon. The battles now took place in real world with consequences, children had to deal with their parents and also find the 8th child in the middle of all this. Also, vamdemon as a bonus was a very proactive villain who took things in his own hands rather than ordering other henchmen do his job. Villains like this are much more interesting than the "mysterious" villains like the one Tri has(Its just a hunch but i feel like its dagomon as the plot is leading us to dark ocean+hikari), if that's true at least we could finally see the full extent of Hikari's unexplained supernatural powers. Whoa! did i just raise my exceptions? i should not do that...
You're right, it's not fooling around to the same extent, but it's still downtime, and by your logic, they should have been using every moment possible to stop Vamdemon, instead of taking breaks. Especially since this arc was 'when things got real serious. And while he was a more proactive villain for a while, are you forgetting the army he had with the fake crests searching the city? He basically had Tailmon and PicoDevimon run around looking for Hikari and only stepped in when it was needed.

...while Tri isn't gargantuan in its episode count like Z it deliberately drags the plot to the point that the pacing is slowed down to a crawl. Determination is the best movie writing wise and it just has a fake villain for no good reason other than the fact they wanted to drag the plot, if they made Meicrackmon the main enemy to fight you'd be killing 2 birds with one stone, no need to wait for another movie to have them fight her, get infected, reboot yada-yada.
They've been building a larger narrative. Which is fine not to like, but don't pretend like things are done for no good reason. You keep complaining about filler, but don't go on to explain why all the 'filler' hasn't moved the plot along in someway or another, aside from the ghost story scene and your constant whining that Meiko gets too much attention. You just say, "it's filler and doesn't move things". Again, it's fine not to like the focus on Meiko, but that doesn't mean her entire existence is pointless.

But really what are the pieces of filler, outside the ghost story, that don't further the plot or character development, that really bother you. I'm genuinely curious.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Deleted a post.

If you don't want to discuss a topic any further, then don't. There are many other topics on the forum.

Herugrim

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally got to watch some myself (the first 3 in English, Yay!)

First off the 'filler' doesn't really bother me because, it isn't really filler.

Filler is pointless. it's stuff like in the original shows when the characters get flung to the far corners of the digital world so they could each get another dedicated episode where they meet new digimon and overcome a minor threat without evolving or developing in any way before being reunited to finally take another crack at the boss. What we get here isn't filler, it's character development. We're reintroduced to the cast. We are introduced to the new character and her digimon, meanwhile the other characters get to go through new arcs where the deal with their own inadequacies. Mimi's selfishness, Joe's cowardice, Izzy's obsessiveness, TK's attachments, and so on. Yeah the pacing seems slow but I don't feel like any of the time so far has been wasted. Hell the scenes between Patamon and TK in Confession was probably the most emotionally charged scenes in the franchise. I could see how the scenes where each of the digimon are just hanging out and spending time with their partners could seem pointless taken out of context, but right before that the digimon have a meeting to discuss the infection and they learn more about what is going on and what they have to do to deal with it, which gives those scenes so much relevance. It isn't the digimon just hanging out, they're having what could be their last moments with the people they care about the most. That is not filler.

When the battles do occur they are awesome. They last a good amount of time, have excellent animation (unlike the old movie, ouch), and reach conclusions that to me at least are satisfying. The more complaints I read the more it sounds like people wanted this to focus on the 02 cast, and that they wanted it to play out more like Dragon Ball Z then Digimon. Frankly, I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. If we don't find out what happened to the missing children, that would probably mean another miniseries focusing on the 02 cast which would be fine. Maybe bring back Ryo and Millieniummon, maybe do something with Guilmon and the whole Digital Hazard thing, maybe do something with the X-Antibody.

I'm not going to pass full judgement until it's done but so far I'm very happy with this show. I'm very glad it exists because it shows there is still genuine interest in the franchise in the west and that there's a potential audience of older digimon fans waiting for new stuff. Between this and the new games being brought over, I'm very happy Digimon is back.

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
People who like appli monsters can not criticize tri. Please let's be logical, you likes a garbage made for children of 6 years old (that should be praised as being called digimon) and pretend to criticize Adventure Tri...

Last edited:

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
people who like appli monsters can not criticize adventure tri. Pls its so ridiculous.
This is not a topic about that, but Appmons actually was a pretty decent anime. Maybe it didn't start well (like Savers), but ultimately it was pretty nice. It was touching important subjects (like the danger of giving too much freedom to AI, boys love, betrayal and death of one of the protagonists, being forced to decide who we let to live and who we force to die &c.), subjects that either were never touched by previous Digimon seasons or were touched just slightly. Digimon Tri can only learn from Appmons.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
People who like appli monsters can not criticize tri. Please let's be logical, you likes a garbage made for children of 6 years old (that should be praised as being called digimon) and pretend to criticize Adventure Tri...
Wow, you can fuck right off with that elitist bullshit.

I personally like both series, even prefer Tri. But Appmon is in no way 'lesser' or 'garbage' for being more kid-oriented. Let's be logical, even precious Digimon Adventure is essentially just a really good toy commercial aimed at 6-year-olds.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How about people act their age.

If you don't know how to act around other people on a forum it'd likely be best to not post.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am very glad to exists. I loved the stage play too. Adventure is and always will be my favorite, basically grew up with these characters and emotionally invested with their stories so to see them again after nearly twenty years is better than I could have hoped for regardless of any complaints I read from other fans about animation and the story. I don't have any issues with it. Feels like the old days to some extent.

RestInPain

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes I am glad it exists. But I feel it should've been executed better. I'm just glad that there will finally be a conclusion to the Adventure era.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Animation wise Digimon Tri started very well but it went downhill from Loss on imo.

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be honest with all of you, I didn't really care about Tri even from the beginning because its just there to pander to Adventure fan. But after seeing 5 movies through, it made me care even less with barely anything explained and the characters trying to hard to angst to the point its just playing wangst.

Imperial

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Assuming I didn't respond to this in the past, I'll say that yes I am glad tri existed, for better or for worst.

From 1997 to 1999 I fell in love with Star Wars. Straight up fell in love. I mean sure Attack of the Clones wasn't quite my cup of tea, but in 2005 they closed it all out with Revenge of the Sith and I was absolutely satisfied.
In 1999 I joined the fandom of the franchise I have loved the longest in my entire life. Digimon. Particularly Digimon 01.

To put it bluntly, despite my love for Digimon, my interest dwindled after 01. I had some high highs for 02, but afterwards I didn't have a "OH EM GEE" giddy face until I watched the sub of Savers. You would think that in 2006 I wouldn't get more than something to peak my interest slightly, but it surpassed my expectations. Now from there you would be like "Well I got what I wanted from the Digimon Series," and sure learning about the Adventure 01 novel as well as Adventure 01 PSP game was amazing and brought out my inner child, I figured that's all I would ever get regarding the characters I love.

2015. Digimon. Oh and Star Wars! Both coming back in back to back months? Hey! I am skipping a step. I watched Digimon Adventure subbed for the first time in like 2013 and it held up very well to me. Okay back to 2015. "OH EM GEE" sequel series. You know what I felt? Pressure on the back of my head as I contained my excitement. There is one thing I had to do first before I could watch these movies. I had to remove the indoctrination from my mind. Ya see, I had my head canons for both of these series. I've read hundreds of Digimon fics and a good chunk of the post Return of the Jedi EU (or at the very least I was familiar with the happenings.) Yeah. So there were a lot of bias(ness) in my mind before these things even came out. Expectations. Ya know what I mean?

Curb that. Watch these things without any of that. I didn't see any trailers of The Force Awakens. I did keep up with Reunion news though.

Anyway! To answer the question.

There are a lot of plot points that I love from Digimon Tri. And like the Star Wars prequels, I feel that the execution isn't always there. But I'm not expecting perfect movies, ya know. Still, there is a threshold of what I feel is 'subpar' writing that I can stand. Reunion was fine for me. The Force Awakens not so much.

The reason I brought up this whole Star Wars thing is to put it all into perspective. I loved both of these franchises. They both tell me that they are making sequels (in Digimon's case, a sequel to the series I love, Adventure 01.) I did my best to remove excitement and expectations of both. And I watched both with an open mind. And I have two separate reactions. I can do without the Star Wars sequels. I am not 'glad' they exist. I'm indifferent. I LOVE that Adventure Tri exist and I accept how it's gone so far.

CrimsonMarvel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reasons I want it to exist is:

1: At least it's something adventure related.
2: Even if I don't personally enjoy it I still think it's unfair to take the enjoyment away from other people

Anyway I hope something else adventure pops up soon, at least it was nice to have the adventure reference in appmon even though I also personally don't like that series.

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes, yes and YES!!

It gives my childhood closure, after the disappointment of Digimon practically disappearing with a mere whimper and being replaced by Tamers; and it got worse and worse as time went on until hitting rock bottom with Appmon. I thought they'd completely forgotten their roots and were just winging it. But Tri proves they still remember what Digimon is all about. I just love it. Its got a great storyline too. Tri honours the Digimon name.

PyroFlamedramon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess I'm glad...I hope my opinions don't upset anyone, usually don't like to and I'm new around here but back to the topic. I'll be talking about things I seen from all 5 episodes so far so if I did spoil something...yeh dont read if so...idk.

Yes I was as shocked and curious as the next guy when the announcement for the series came and I couldn't wait...I have a few favorites in the show I wanted to see again. Although I was hoping to see more action of 02...I know we focusing on the original 8 but ya know, have the 02 kids here and there now and then lending a helping hand (plus I wanted to see veemon and any evolution of his again pffft). Yeah well we all know how it went for 02 here. My only problem is how they don't seem to question or focus on somethijng concerning. They don't seem to wonder where there 02 friends are or even acknowledge their existence yet I think they knew who ken is still as they saw well...the fake him as the emperor but they dismissed that and ignored it quickly. Then they don't seem to care that much for gennai either. Idk those two things just bother me the creators threw in but don't seem to flesh out when it needed to. Well that and a lot of things. I dunno hard to think of it all right now...I'm still wanting to see it all the way and did like the series but just idk how to say i feel with hownthe series has been going as of now, I guess we all wait till the final movie is out.
Sorry if my opinions felt like I'm nitpicking.

Zeether

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad it's around. I haven't seen past the first movie, granted, but the negative opinions I've seen on the other movies haven't really deterred me from wanting to see them because it's great seeing the old crew back again.