Are You Glad Tri. Exists?

Are You Glad Tri. Exists?

• Total voters

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I would be perfectly content with the majority of tri. being set in the real world, if the real world as a setting would be used more and the streets of Tokyo wouldn't be empty most of the time for some weird reason.

To be fair, Odaiba isn't exacty the most populated area in Tokyo.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never really thought about it until seeing it brought up here, but yeah, tri’s Digital World is really bland. It’s pretty disappointing considering the series often has such wild and wonderful DWs, including the shows it is supposed to be a continuation of.

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not glad it exists, I like it but it has many, many problems. For instance the whole thing with the missing 02 kids, the whole cast acting ooc, in reference to them killing impreialdramon with no hesitation, and yet, try not to hurt Meikoomon.

And that's whats makes this series a freaking mess of crap

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes, absolutely I'm glad it exists. I get the perspective can get tilted based on whether or not you like it (and I do like it), and there are, of course, objective examples of a series degrading in quality over time despite continual output. But expectations have a huge part in it too, and what you get out of can depend on outlook.

My biggest criteria were always going to be "does it have what made me like it in the first place" paired with "does it push the series forward". The answer to both is yes; it has the characters I like going on adventures that feel both new and familiar, with a dynamic that has a solid foundation but can still evolve.

To me a lot of the complaints seem to stem from people being not necessarily overly critical, but not acknowledging that the same things they're judging this current series by would also flunk the original series in these apparent tests. The original Adventure, 02, et. al are far from perfect series, but the nostalgia is already baked in; I have accepted that I like these characters as a starting point, but also that there's room for growth, so I'm willing to go along for the ride.

Obviously not to say tri. isn't without its faults (glacial pacing being my biggest complaint), but there's a surprising amount of vitriol here for a set of movies that has amazing animation, music, and acting that pulled (or at least prevented) the franchise from waning.

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@KaenKazui
Can you honestly compare DW to Pokemon or Monster Rancher worlds?
Design and idea of DW made it special to any other anime(at least the ones that I know of - if you know other like that please tell me to watch). Real world in Digimon and it's effect is like in any other anime. Digimon are strange beings from another world... look at them interact with humans...

That being said, I agree that the real world in Tri could use a little more life in it.
I think the point KaenKazui was trying to make (and I may be wrong on this) is the fact that there was a clear difference between worlds in Digimon, made it stand out more than the other two shows. Because there is a difference between the worlds, that does make the real world more important when it's travelled to. It's not just this 'wacky fantasy world with no connection to reality'. What happens in the Digital World affects the Real World, and vice versa. So when the real world is threatened as well as the Digital World, it's no longer just "oh, we've gotta stop the bad guys and save magic monster land" it's "oh crap, if we don't stop this, then EVERYTHING we know and love is effed." And it's not like a situation in Pokemon where (theoretically) everyone could band together to try and save the one world. In Digimon, there's only a select few people who can save both worlds.
I'm not glad it exists, I like it but it has many, many problems. For instance the whole thing with the missing 02 kids, the whole cast acting ooc, in reference to them killing impreialdramon with no hesitation, and yet, try not to hurt Meikoomon.
You've got to remember though, that some of the problems can still be answered (not that they necessarily will). We may not get a reason why the cast was comfortable fighting Imperialdramon, but hopefully the 02 kids mystery will be solved. Everyone has to take their answer with a grain of salt, since Tri still isn't finished.

arisniko1

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am SO glad it exists! Whatever its problems it made Digimon somewhat relevant again for me (not that they evere really stopped) not to mention the nostalgia. It finally gave us the Ultimate evolutions and by way of giving each character a growing up story to achieve it. Sure there are problems of continuity that I have found my way of explaining (for example the Kyuukyoku shinka instead of Warp) and the 02 kids being nowhere and nobody cares about them even though Takeru lives in the same building with two of them but I prefer to wait until the end before I lose my mind completely over that lol.
If nothing else I am glad Tri. exists for the pure awesomeness of the MVP of Tri. Digimon scenes that is HeracleKabuterimon's sacrifice in Part 3.

"Kushiro-san... SAYONARA!"

Last edited:

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Obviously not to say tri. isn't without its faults (glacial pacing being my biggest complaint), but there's a surprising amount of vitriol here for a set of movies that has amazing animation, music, and acting that pulled (or at least prevented) the franchise from waning.
I really fail to see how Tri had such amazing animation while actually it's pretty subpar with poor 3d animation. Many of the fights had just about 5 fps, and an episode of anime series is actually much more than that.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really fail to see how Tri had such amazing animation while actually it's pretty subpar with poor 3d animation. Many of the fights had just about 5 fps, and an episode of anime series is actually much more than that.
I suppose my attraction is more direction then actual technicality. The fight scenes are dynamic, interesting, and varied. I hate to be that "FPS doesn't matter!" guy, especially in the modern era when really, yeah, companies need to be better about that kind of thing, but all the same, it'd not about what you have, it's about how you use it. The Omnimon/Alphamon/Jesmon/Raguelmon fight, in particular, was awesome. It's a far cry from recycled animation of yesteryear. Again, there are plenty of series out there with more impressive animation, but for what we have, it's pretty great.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Still looks better than the other 2 90s anime nostalgia cash in:Sailor Moon Crystal and Dragon Ball Super

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@KaenKazui
Design and idea of DW made it special to any other anime(at least the ones that I know of - if you know other like that please tell me to watch). Real world in Digimon and it's effect is like in any other anime. Digimon are strange beings from another world... look at them interact with humans...
Yes, of course you can compare those worlds. You can compare any made up worlds. And for the most part it is the same idea in these series: Wacky fantasy worlds with mosnters.
The digital world really wasn't anything special, especially as the worldbuilding for it is very "Whatever the story needs" in most of the seasons. Things are random for randomness sake and for the sake of the story. It was just one of many 90s anime wacky fantasy worlds, of which we have seen quite a bit, in any anime incorportating portal fantasy.
As a child I always hated the wacky random plotconvenience of the digital world. I could of course not exactly say why, but I thought of it as stupid. It was one of the main reasons, I did not like Digimon originally, because those parts often made me feel not taken serious as a viewer. This all changed, when the plot went to the real world. That was the main difference to most other 90s anime, especially portal fantasy ones. Portal fantasy normally never involved the real world and even anime, that involved the real world (like most Magical Girl series), rarely incorporated the real world into the plot. In those shows there was often the "slice of life" plot and then the "fantasy" plot, but it never felt, as if the fantasy plot had too much of an impact on the slice of life or the other way around.
Digimon did this different. It really incorportated the Digimon into the real world and the real world into the plot. Mostly by the simple reason, that the fights happened not in some different dimension (like it happens a lot with Magical Girls), but really there, often with humans around, who were in danger and ran away screaming and so on. Sure, today I find some things a bit weird in how the first two seasons handled the real world (the utter lack of law enforcement or military trying to do anything, for example), but it was definitely a step from the classical portal fantasy with just the random fantasy world and the other real world fantasy stuff, where normal life rarely seemed inflicted by whatever magical things happened.

As a child, this was the main reason I really was into Tamers (that and the cards): An even heavier reliance on the real world and a bigger involvement for it.

But this is also what tri. really, really messes up. Because while stuff happens in the real world, it feels a lot more then all those magical girl shows: The slice of life happens, the fantasy happens, but they do not seem to influence each other too much. It is like two completely different stories being told parallel to each other.

Still looks better than the other 2 90s anime nostalgia cash in:Sailor Moon Crystal and Dragon Ball Super
Not by a large margin. And that is the sad part: Because both of those shows are TV series. tri. isn't. tri. is supposed to be an OVA/film. And for that it looks really, really aweful, TBH. The first one was alright. Not good, but alright, from an animation standpoint. But like the story, the animation went downhill from there.

Sorcerimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@KaenKazui
Yes, of course you can compare those worlds. You can compare any made up worlds. And for the most part it is the same idea in these series: Wacky fantasy worlds with mosnters.
The digital world really wasn't anything special, especially as the worldbuilding for it is very "Whatever the story needs" in most of the seasons. Things are random for randomness sake and for the sake of the story. It was just one of many 90s anime wacky fantasy worlds, of which we have seen quite a bit, in any anime incorportating portal fantasy.
As a child I always hated the wacky random plotconvenience of the digital world. I could of course not exactly say why, but I thought of it as stupid. It was one of the main reasons, I did not like Digimon originally, because those parts often made me feel not taken serious as a viewer. This all changed, when the plot went to the real world. That was the main difference to most other 90s anime, especially portal fantasy ones. Portal fantasy normally never involved the real world and even anime, that involved the real world (like most Magical Girl series), rarely incorporated the real world into the plot. In those shows there was often the "slice of life" plot and then the "fantasy" plot, but it never felt, as if the fantasy plot had too much of an impact on the slice of life or the other way around.
Digimon did this different. It really incorportated the Digimon into the real world and the real world into the plot. Mostly by the simple reason, that the fights happened not in some different dimension (like it happens a lot with Magical Girls), but really there, often with humans around, who were in danger and ran away screaming and so on. Sure, today I find some things a bit weird in how the first two seasons handled the real world (the utter lack of law enforcement or military trying to do anything, for example), but it was definitely a step from the classical portal fantasy with just the random fantasy world and the other real world fantasy stuff, where normal life rarely seemed inflicted by whatever magical things happened.

As a child, this was the main reason I really was into Tamers (that and the cards): An even heavier reliance on the real world and a bigger involvement for it.

But this is also what tri. really, really messes up. Because while stuff happens in the real world, it feels a lot more then all those magical girl shows: The slice of life happens, the fantasy happens, but they do not seem to influence each other too much. It is like two completely different stories being told parallel to each other.

Not by a large margin. And that is the sad part: Because both of those shows are TV series. tri. isn't. tri. is supposed to be an OVA/film. And for that it looks really, really aweful, TBH. The first one was alright. Not good, but alright, from an animation standpoint. But like the story, the animation went downhill from there.
Well, I completely disagree with you, randomness was an awesome part of it and only thing that truly still stands out(talking about DW from both games and shows). When I asked if you can really compare them I didn't mean that literaly, what I meant to say was that Digimon World was more original and really different visualy than both Pokemon World or that of Monster Rancher(I like both of those shows). I just believe that it may be just a matter of taste, but I truly don't agree that DW isn't anything special.

In the end if you have something against that randomness and wacky elements and general weirdness of DW, you have to be aware that nearly all Digimon designs have those things in them. I believe that those wacky, weird, random elements are in the core of Digimon franchise visualy.

Anyway, I'm going way off topic, so sorry for that guys.

Last edited:

Shutmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was happy but then part 4 just kind of
really disappointed me.
It's sad they focused more on rehashing the same content with half-crapped explanation and they can't bother to develop plot properly.

I wish they'd just announce Tri. as a series after Appmon with 52 episodes because the amount of time we have had to develop on the new plot points and characters isn't enough and they pretty much screwed up a love triangle that was already settled in 02, tossed Hikari's development from 02 out the window, and Sora still getting the short end of the stick.

Was happy. Now not.

EDIT:
I also really need to discuss the fact the ending of part 5 had no foreshadowing, no links, and maybe if they spent less time focusing on forcing a poorly forced ship of Taichi and Meiko and instead, ACTUALLY spent the time focusing on Meiko's and Hikari's relationship, play with their darkness/light contrast, maybe it'd have been a lot better.

Last edited:

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like Tri. I really enjoyed almost all the movies (althogh I have some problems with Part 1).

I love to see these characters again. Also, I've enjoyed to see their conflicts and developments (especially Joe, Mimi, Takeru and Taichi).

tossed Hikari's development from 02 out the window,
Excuse me, what development of Hikari from 02 is tossed out the window?

I mean I do not see anything in Tri that contradicts her character in 02 (at least, in the original version, I don't know the dub).

EDIT:
I also really need to discuss the fact the ending of part 5 had no foreshadowing, no links, and maybe if they spent less time focusing on forcing a poorly forced ship of Taichi and Meiko and instead, ACTUALLY spent the time focusing on Meiko's and Hikari's relationship, play with their darkness/light contrast, maybe it'd have been a lot better.
I don't really think they need to create a relationship between these two girls for the ending. After all, the ending doesn't really conect them (they are in that situation for different reasons).

That said, one these girls need more focus in Part 5.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like it. It's nice to see them again and how they finally got their megas plus I like Meiko. "Fixes" some things. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
, tossed Hikari's development from 02 out the window,

What development did Hikari get in 02? I'm super special awesome that cthulu mon wants to put some babies in me?
Actually Hikari has quite a bit of character development in 02, other then in Adventure, where she is mostly threated as a plotdevice.

She has to learn to be more self-efficient instead of relying on others (namely Taichi, Takeru and Tailmon) to always help her out, to not retreat into herself once something is going on and to confront her fears. Also some stuff about actually trusting others, apart the aforenamed three Ts.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

She has to learn to be more self-efficient instead of relying on others (namely Taichi, Takeru and Tailmon) to always help her out, to not retreat into herself once something is going on and to confront her fears. Also some stuff about actually trusting others, apart the aforenamed three Ts.

I feel like it was all undermined by Takeru and Tailmon coming to rescue her in the dark ocean episode

The only characters that seemed to develop in Zero Two at all were Ken and Iori. Maybe Miyako to an extent.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like it was all undermined by Takeru and Tailmon coming to rescue her in the dark ocean episode

The only characters that seemed to develop in Zero Two at all were Ken and Iori. Maybe Miyako to an extent.
I do not agree with any of that. While I do feel that Takeru and Hikari both kinda got the short end of the stick when it came to development (which double hurt, as neither really got a lot of development in Adventure), but they both had some. And the Hikari-development was not constrained to this one episode. Hikari had not many, but I would say four development episodes.

Both Daisuke and Miyako got development, but Daisuke really suffered from not being allowed to completely fail and hence never had to overcome failure. But he had his development moments.

Miyako - I have said that quite often before - has actually solid development. It is just that her character centric episodes mostly suck.