Are You Glad Tri. Exists?

Are You Glad Tri. Exists?

• Total voters

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm quite pleased that tri. exists, it's really a nice breath of fresh air.
Appmon (for all the honestly bizarre "not real digimon" complaining it gets) is in the end your usual Digimon anime with a few new terms and updated mechanics, in other words it's exactly what the franchise has been doing for more than a decade now. Tri on the other hand is really trying out some new stuff, it's basically the biggest break from the usual format that the franchise has had since X-Evolution, but in contrast to X-Evo (which imploded before it even had a chance to have a lasting influence) tri is actually successful in what it does.
I've never found the adventure cast to be that interesting and never thought that another Adventure sequel was even necessary but in my opinion tri nevertheless turned out (at least so far) better than it had any right to be. For a story that's admittedly very nostalgia based it's doing a good job of not completely succumbing to pandering. There would have been many ways to make a completely unoriginal and predictable adventure sequel that just offers more of the same while overly relying on past plot threads and general fan service and luckily tri has enough confidence to instead tell its own story in its own way and with a new perspective. I can definitely respect that, even if the execution sometimes stumbles.
Overall tri could be a nice stepping stone for the franchise, there is much promise in the approach that it takes to the material and who knows what other interesting projects could become more viable if something as atypical as tri is successful enough.

At least with how this poll is going so far, hardcore tri haters can no longer pretend to be in the majority lol

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty meh-to-neutral on tri itself, but I am glad it's kind of brought Digimon into the limelight again. And it's given us Meiko, who I love, and is the best part of tri!

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s not my personal favorite and I have my fair criticisms of it even if other people just seem them as complaints; But at the same time it’s good that some kind of continuity exist for the kids in the Adventure universe, even if it isn’t perfect.

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
100% glad Tri exists. It's a story about characters that I've loved for years, and it is a decent story. Not perfect, but I never expected it to be. And I think they'll really have to butcher part 6 for it to be completely ruined. It's very easy to have expectations based on your own hopes, and it certainly can be disheartening when those hopes are dashed. They went in a different direction with producing Tri, because they had to do something new for the Adventure crew. And whether or not you like everything, or almost nothing, about Tri, it's important to recognize that the series had to change in order to fit the characters.

Kingbeemon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah it's not perfect but overall it's an interesting story and like we are getting the original digidestined story.

There's major things wrong with the story telling to the point I question are they putting effort but even tho it doesn't live up to my childhood nostalgia I feel this as a proper ending to their story.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm somehow glad it exists coz the marketing makes digimon recognizable again both in Japan and West. It makes digimon more well known, heck it even makes Cyber Sleuth more popular.

But then the show sucks... It only hurts the franchise more without focusing on making more quality contents, besides we only get cashgrabs low budget shows.

Kingbeemon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol even Japanese sequels the quality has dropped what has happened

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Am I glad it exist? Yes.
Do I enjoy it? Yes but not as much as I want to because the wait time is very frustrating, half a year cliffhanger is not.
For the plot I reserve my judgement until the last movie come in.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
McGann on page 1 pretty succintly summed up everything I feel. Am I glad it exists? Hell yeah! Could it be better? Of course. However, like Solomon, I'm reserving my full judgment till Bokura no Mirai comes out.

Sorcerimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have mixed feelings about it. I'm glad that we got a continuation of the original story, but I miss Digital world in it. I'm tired of the real world in this franchise, and what made Digimon shows special for me was weirdness of the Digital world. Apart from Xros, I loved DW in all Digimon shows, and I was always waiting for protagonists to go there.
Also, I can see that they are trying to do something new, but some things (like an entire movie spent on cheering up the new girl) are just not for me anymore. I guess I'll form a real opinion once I see the last movie, for now, I'm still glad we got Tri.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have mixed feelings about it. I'm glad that we got a continuation of the original story, but I miss Digital world in it. I'm tired of the real world in this franchise, and what made Digimon shows special for me was weirdness of the Digital world. Apart from Xros, I loved DW in all Digimon shows, and I was always waiting for protagonists to go there.
Also, I can see that they are trying to do something new, but some things (like an entire movie spent on cheering up the new girl) are just not for me anymore. I guess I'll form a real opinion once I see the last movie, for now, I'm still glad we got Tri.
The last two films have been mostly in the Digital World. I don't even think the main cast were in the real world in part 5 (or even 4?)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They spent quite a bit of time in the human world in part 5. Part 4 took place entirely in the Digital World, though (from the Chosen Children's perspective).

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say about 30-35% of Tri has been in the Digital World (1/5 full movies, and parts of 2 other movies). So not an insignificant amount of time in the Digital World, but the focus certainly has been in the real world. Which it kind of had to be, for Taichi's story and struggles to really make sense.

Sorcerimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They didn't get to really explore DW or properly interact with it. What we got was really fast and I didn't like it. Maybe some of you did, maybe all those choices of Tri creators were good, but it just wasn't what I want from a Digimon show.
So I am very subjective with this, I liked some parts of Tri (first movie and ending of last made most impact on me), while others I really disliked and that's it.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get what you're saying. No crazy villain hideouts, or nice weirdo digital world stuff like vending machines full of poo monsters, or factories that build machines and then take them apart, etc. The most we got was the places the group walked around after encountering Mugendramon. It's a bit of a shame.

Sorcerimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get what you're saying. No crazy villain hideouts, or nice weirdo digital world stuff like vending machines full of poo monsters, or factories that build machines and then take them apart, etc. The most we got was the places the group walked around after encountering Mugendramon. It's a bit of a shame.
Yeah, that's it. I understand that that kind of stuff would better fit an actual series and it might not mean that quality of Tri would be better, but at the same time, I'd prefer that. DW is the best thing about whole Digimon franshise to me.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kind of agree, the DW in tri. seems bizarre for some reason. But, if I recall correctly, I think Koushiro tells that it may be due to the Reboot, right? By the way Sorcerimon, just out of curiosity, why you don't like the DW in Xros Wars? I think it's one of my favourites with all the Zones and stuff, only below Frontier's, which is in fairness the best built one.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally I do not get the "the digital world made Digimon special" thing. For me it was always the real world, that made the show special. Because the two other big monster shows at the time (Pokémon and Monster Farm) already took place in a wacky Fantasy world with no connection to reality, mostly to allow the child protagonists to run around unsupervised. If it hadn't been for the real world arc in Adventure, I never would have become a fan of Digimon.

So I would be perfectly content with the majority of tri. being set in the real world, if the real world as a setting would be used more and the streets of Tokyo wouldn't be empty most of the time for some weird reason.

Sorcerimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Shadow Shinji
It might sounds strange talking about DW, but in Xros it didn't feel organic to me. Just many areas that didn't feel connected to me. In other series, even thought places looked different from each other, It appeared connected, I believed that they have traveled from one place to another, with Xros it looked like a strategy game, or a Dragon Age game(if you played first or second), like you just click on the map and you are in completely different place with it's own rules, I didn't like that. Also, while I liked design of some areas, others I wasn't fond of.

So that's about it.

@KaenKazui
Can you honestly compare DW to Pokemon or Monster Rancher worlds?
Design and idea of DW made it special to any other anime(at least the ones that I know of - if you know other like that please tell me to watch). Real world in Digimon and it's effect is like in any other anime. Digimon are strange beings from another world... look at them interact with humans...

That being said, I agree that the real world in Tri could use a little more life in it.

Last edited:

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not glad it exists, I like it but it has many, many problems. For instance the whole thing with the missing 02 kids, the whole cast acting ooc, in reference to them killing impreialdramon with no hesitation, and yet, try not to hurt Meikoomon.