Arduino based Digivice thread - WIP

kuro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I take advantage of the post to introduce myself, I am kuro, passionate about technology and a Digimon fan.

The idea of the post is to organize information about a project to create an Arduino based Digivice.
I have seen several abandoned projects and I think there are many people in the community who would be interested in making their own Digivice, like @Inklog or @zarch.

The thread will be updated as the project progresses. I encourage you all to collaborate.

Hardware

Original Digivice specs

Japanse version:

• Widht: 54mm
  • Height: 63mm
  • Depth: 24mm
(not including clip or connectors)

Data from: @humulos

American version:
  • Widht: 53mm
  • Height: 62mm
  • Depth: 23mm
(not including clip or connectors)

Data from: @humulos

15th anniversary version:
  • Widht: 57mm
  • Height: 65mm
  • Depth: 36mm
Data from: https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-15th-Anniversary-Digivice-Exclusive/dp/B00SB3AV3O

Unknow V-pet version:
  • Screen size: 20mm x 21,5mm
Data from: https://www.reddit.com/r/digimon/comments/9f1n8h/calling_all_vpet_and_digivice_owners/

Arduino based specs

Basic necessities / Internal components:

(Screen size outdated)

Sketch:

The size has been minimally adapted, it can be adjusted more.

(Screen size outdated)

Software

This part is yet to be determined, and I would like to know what people are most interested in.
I have several proposals, obtained from a post by @CreatorOblivion.

Classic
The classic pendulum tamagotchi style game, for those with enhanced nostalgia (the older peeps)

Adapted (ideas)
When having used mega evolve, revert to in training 1 or 2 and requires feeding to digivolve up again. Feeding can come about in a few different ways;
  • Meat farm
  • Walking every X steps auto generate (stash hold can be upgraded through progress)
  • Trading Meat (can have CAM effects for co-op modes)
15th anniversary
Basically runs like the 15th anniversary game, will be ripped OR completely rewritten but able to interact.

Online Mode
Add the possibility to interact online or by bluetooht.

Case

This is also to be determined. I have found 3D models that could be modified to recreate, both the original model of Digimon Adventure, and the model of Digimon Adventure Tri.

That is all for now, I am waiting for the pieces. All information and feedback is welcome. I am a novice when it comes to microcontrollers, so tips in that area are really welcome.

Changelog

19/04/2020
  • Original american version size specs added (provided by @humulos)

16/04/2020

Last edited:

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With something like that, it's possible to have several different games in the end, though clearly it's still a matter of priority in developing them ;)

I feel like the official ones are kind of wasteful in that way.

XDragon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What is the difference between the original and the 15th anniversary anyway? I like the adaptive concept. I hope you follow through.

Will these just be plans we have to put together or will there be completed items for purchase?

kuro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the feedback @BladeSabre

@XDragon I do not know the differences, as I mention in the post, those notes are from another user.

On the other hand, my initial idea is to provide as much information as possible so that anyone can have their Digivice.

With the software issue, I don't know if there would be copyright problems if an exact reproduction of the game is made.
My idea is to create a totally new game but with functionalities from tamagotchi and Digivice, with larger sprites, since it is possible thanks to the screen.
This is just an initial idea, and I am open to feedback, of course, and if there are people who want to participate as programmer or artist, you can leave me a pm, to organize the information.

ErifNeerg

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was just wondering if such an idea should be possible. This sounds fantastic!

Tensuke

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Funny timing, I was just looking around to see what kind of homebrew projects were out there. You've got a lot figured out!

I was looking at a small e-ink display instead of LCD. Downside being it's black/white so no color, no backgrounds, no backlight, and it would probably need minimal animation, but the upside would be reduced battery life, which for a small device is pretty important, and you could leave the screen "on" at all times. Although I haven't done too much research yet, so I don't know what kind of battery I could get in the first place, and how much power a small board would need at all.

kuro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Tensuke I am investigating the issue of batteries, I think it is the most problematic element. Feedback is appreciated.

Tomorrow the pieces arrive to start testing. šŸ˜

ErifNeerg

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just found this project and figured it be of some interested here.

kuro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks @ErifNeerg

I have seen it, I have also collected more similar projects.

Today the pieces arrived, I have started testing. The screen, the buzzer and the buttons. I'm an arduino newbie so don't think it progresses amazingly fast xD.