Appmon: Gatchinko Bingo! Arcade game

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was walking through Bic Camera (an electronics and video game store in Japan, this one specifically in Nagoya) and I saw an Appmon arcade game. Intrigued, I bought a few Chips (conveniently being sold in an attached Gashapon machine on the arcade cabinet) and gave it a try.

It's basically a simple 'battle game' that kind of reminded me of the v-pets a bit. You choose up to three chips to make an Appmon team (you get bonuses for same-type teammates) and that team gets three randomly(?) chosen other Appmon to pair/fuse with. You choose a mission, seemingly based on the anime so far, and all six of your mon try to take down a single Virus-infected Appmon by button mashing until bingo chips pop out of your opponent. If you get a bingo, you win!

The missions I played were Mission 01 and 02, which were Messemon (Virus) and Navimon (Virus) respectively. There seemed to be 10 missions available, but I didn't have time to try them all. Since what bingo chips pop out of the enemy are completely RNG, I didn't actually manage to win either fight. I only have 3 chips that I bought while I was sitting there (Perorimon, Gashamon, and Hackmon, all commons), but I suspect the way to get stronger is to buy more Chips that are stronger or have more same-type bonuses as the computer-given Appmon fusion fodder. You can also apparently set the AppliDrive toy into the slot for a +2000 power bonus, which probably would have made the game a lot easier lol.

There doesn't seem to be any actual story or cutscenes from what I played of it, just the general impression of "make team, fight Appmon (Virus)". Still cute and I really like the Appmon Chips. The game itself is also cost-free. You just have to buy the Chips themselves. Nothing stops you from using the same chips over and over again until the RNG deems you worthy of winning, I suppose. I can definitely see kids getting into it. The biggest issue I had with it was the button mashing. There's no strategy, it's just 'hit button until your hand falls off'. And my hand was seriously starting to cramp after like 2 battles... Not the best product design, but there it is.

Here's some photos I took:
http://imgur.com/a/h079l

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's actually really cool. And maybe this is good for the franchise. Get enough of this stuff out there.

Shangyou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool pictures! Any idea how much those special BINGO version Appmon chips cost?

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They don't cost anything. You just have to win at the game to get a random one from the gashapon machine that's attached to it. The game itself is also free, so that's an interesting business model.

Shangyou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wow... the game must be pretty tough to beat then because the prices people are reselling those bingo chips for aren't cheap!

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, it's unlimited tries and it's free, and I haven't beaten a single stage of it yet, so I'd say 'yes, it is difficult'. But with the corollary that it's literally a bingo game, meaning it's all RNG and the best you can do is to use stronger and stronger Appmon chips with type advantages to push the numbers slightly in your favor. It's a lot like the V-pets in that sense. All the actual 'strategy' is in building a strong team, the actual 'gameplay' is just button mashing and watching the numbers and pretty lights fly around on the screen.