Appmon Character Details and Discussion Thread, Update w/ Haru's Friends & Classmates

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon Character Details and Discussion Thread, Update w/ Haru's Friends & Classmates

We have most of the character details for Digimon Universe: AppMonsters now, so thought it was time for a new news thread.

First up is the newest kid and Appmon we have details of... only one pair left after these two.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Asuka Torajirou
Voiced by: Shiho Kikido

An 11 year old, grade 5 student.
Torajirou lives a life free from any rules. He freely judges everything according to his rules. Torajirou is a popular "Apptuber" who uploads his own videos to the site. He goes by "Astra", a shortened form of his name. (NB: Asutora, from ASUka and TORAjirou)

Torajirou's family is part of a line of tea ceremony iemotos. Though he comes from a strict household, he values feelings and is longing for freedom.
His Buddy Appmon is Musimon.

Shiho Kikido would probably best be known as the voice of Aroma in Go! Princess Precure and Kotone Amamiya from Brave Beats.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Musimon
Voiced by: Tamura Nao

Torajirou's Buddy Appmon. Has the ability to act as a music app. It's high-spirited personality is similar to Torajirou's.

Musimon's signature quote will be "No Musimon! No Life!", which is a takeoff on a Japanese Tower Records music campaign (No Music, No Life.) Looking at his colors it looks like they may have been inspired by the general look of Tower Records.

Tamura Nao would be best known as the voice of Chika from World Trigger and Minori from Log Horizon.

And to have them all in the same place, here are the others.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Shinkai Haru
Voice: Uchiyama Yumi

"I'll do it! I'll become a true hero!"
The protagonist, a 13-year-old first-year middle school student with a kind and gentle personality. He has a strong-hearted side to him, deciding things based on his own opinions. Loves to read, and longs to be the hero of his own story. His Buddy Appmon is Gatchmon.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Gatchmon
Voice: Kikuchi Kokoro

"I'll look up your future!"
Haru's Buddy Appmon. Has the power of a search application. He's a bit of a showoff, but with his search ability he can uncover various information. His favorite food is 'Gatch Monaka'. (Monaka is a type of Japanese dessert made from bean jam and mochi wafers.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)
Eri Karan
(VA: Umeka Shouji)

A 14-yr old 2nd year Jr High student.
She is currently pursuing activities as a member of an idol group.
She has great reflexes and a lively perosnality. She acts as a strong character but is actually kind and gentle. Another side of her is someone who is easily moved to tears and falls to loneliness. Her Buddy Appmon is "Dokamon".

Dokamon
(VA: Kumai Motoko)

Eri's Buddy Appmon. A kind Appmon with a strong spirit. Dokamon is an Action Game Application Appmon.
Dokamon loves Eri and respects Gatchamon as his "Aniki".

Thanks to Shin for most of the translations and our friend Touya for a few of them.

Now we just need to know about our hooded friend and his Hackmon...

This will be the new AppMon discussion thread for now. Prior discussion thread is here.

Update- We now have details for the last kid and Hackmon!

Image Thumbnail

Katsura Rei
(VA: Toyonaga Toshiyuki)

A 14-yr old grade 8 student.
A mysterious boy chasing Haru and a ressourceful hacker. What does he know about the nefarious AI villain?!
His Buddy Appmon is Hackmon

Toyonaga is new to Digimon but has had many signature roles in anime like Durarara and Tokyo Ghoul.

Image Thumbnail

Hackmon
(VA: Sakaguchi Daisuke)

Rei's Buddy Appmon. An appmon with a hacking ability.

Daisuke has had a few bit parts in Digimon before, a Trailmon in Frontier, a slightly bigger role as Ignitemon in Xros, and FlaWizarmon in Hunters. Probabably best known as Shimura Shinpachi from Gintama.

It feels like for both Rei and Hackmon they are being purposely slim in the information they give us for now.

Update- New update with Haru's friends and classmates.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

In order from left to right...

Oozora Yuujin
(VA: Furukawa Makoto)
13-year old Jr. High student, Grade 7
“What do I think? I think you really look like a protagonist, Haru!”
A close friend of Haru’s since they were very young with leadership skills and a fiery personality. His strong qualities lie as a sportsman and in soccer. He’s quite popular with girls.

Yuujin's name is a pun in that his name is a combination of 'brave' and 'man' and also means friend.

Furukawa Makoto is new to Digimon, but a well known voice actor with a few notable roles. Most fans would likely recognize him as Saitama, One-Punch Man himself.

Kashiki Ai
(VA: Fuchigami Mai)
13-year old Jr High student and Haru’s classmate
"You really look like you’re having fun when you’re reading books, Haru-kun."
She’s kind and has a gentle personality making her popular among her class.
Her family runs a bookstore which Haru and the others visit often.

Fuchigami Mai is also new to Digimon. Most would likely recognize her as Cure Rosetta from Dokidoki Pretty Cure, or as Nagisa from Assassination Classroom.

Watson
(VA: Hirohashi Ryo)
13-year old Jr High student and Haru’s classmate.
“You really don’t understand something that simple do you? Please enquire with me.”
His real name is “Wato Takeru”
Watson loves smartphones, games and other digital items. He easily finds himself dragged into the incidents caused by Appmon.

Watson's name is based on an alternate reading of his 'real' name (Wato Takeru, which can be read as Wato Son, so Watson.)

Hirohasi Ryo is also new to Digimon. She has far to many notable roles to list even a small chunk of them, but here are a few: Luna in the new Sailor Moon Crystal content, Yamada in Working!, and Tails in much of the Sonic franchise.

Our first group of kids who aren't explicitly described as having partner Appmon

luluco

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My impression on the characters is that for starters they definitely sound less one dimensional than Xros Wars'.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Asuka has a rather intriguing design. Blonde and.. Are those whiskers of sorts on his cheeks?

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My impression on the characters is that for starters they definitely sound less one dimensional than Xros Wars'.
Well, the Xros Wars characters did not sound one dimensional in the first informations either. Those profiles were filled with stuff we never got to see or hear about in the actual series. Like Taiki's dad being a Baseball trainer and hence never at home or Akari having many siblings she has to take care of, even if she does not want to, and so on.

But I'll stay optimistic for now, that Appmon will not go the same way!

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I will be forever alone in liking Xros Wars' characters.

The expected cast commentary translations: http://www.digimonworld.org/2016/07/actor-of-digimon-generation-voices.html

I think they're actually emulating Future Card Buddyfight's Kurodake Tetsuya with this one. The personalities seem to match up, and Tetsuya was a pretty popular character with kids and adults alike. I'm curious how an 11-year-old became popular on a video sharing site when every such site requires you to be 13 or older to have an account. Truly, someone who lives by no rules.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I will be forever alone in liking Xros Wars' characters.
Rest assured you're not the only one. Personally, I grew fond of Taiki, Shoutmon, Nene, Kiriha etc. Their series may have its share of positive sides, despite we, as fans, have to acknowledge as well that Xros Wars had its own flaws.

And, we can hope that the upcoming Universe anime debut able to "learn" from Xros Wars' shortcomings.

Last edited:

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like the notion that Astra is an active member of Appmon's in-universe version of YouTube. While I'm assuming that the level of tech literacy in this cast will be higher than most Digimon series because of the smartphone theme, perhaps Astra is the one most immersed in Internet culture.

Also Musimon's slouching / disappointed pose is adorable.

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, Xros Wars sounded one-dimensional at first, but actually got pretty interesting later on.

That's what I feel Appmon's characters will be like, since this is the common kids anime character personalities. But with this series toy revolved creation
I'm worried that story isn't in their best interest.

Devimon4000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On a personal note I don't think I'll ever get used to Digimon wearing modern casual clothing. Other then that, Ehh, its fine, nothing special.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Musimon's signature quote will be "No Musimon! No Life!", which is a takeoff on a Japanese Tower Records music campaign (No Music, No Life.) Looking at his colors it looks like they may have been inspired by the general look of Tower Records.
I love this bit of trivia. This isn't the first time Tower Records was featured in Digimon. It was part of Digimon Cyber Sleuth. It's where the girl with the Etemon worked.

Well, Xros Wars sounded one-dimensional at first, but actually got pretty interesting later on.

That's what I feel Appmon's characters will be like, since this is the common kids anime character personalities. But with this series toy revolved creation
I'm worried that story isn't in their best interest.

Literally every single Digimon anime to this point was based on selling massive amounts of toys so I'm not sure that will have any indication on how good the characters will be.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That new kid is interesting. Need to find a list of apps each Mon is from. But a Music Appmon fits. The only one that woudl work better is a Youtube-like one. Since he does a lot of videos. ...We have 4 character pairs at first?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We have 4 character pairs at first?
Kid in the hoodie with Hackmon.

It isn't clear that he's 'with' the other 3, but we saw artwork for him alongside the other 4, so it seems likely he will be 'around' to some degree from the beginning.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That new kid is interesting. Need to find a list of apps each Mon is from. But a Music Appmon fits. The only one that woudl work better is a Youtube-like one. Since he does a lot of videos. ...We have 4 character pairs at first?
There is an Appmon called Dougamon which looks like it might be a Youtube/Nico Nico Douga inspired Appmon. I think there's an evil version of it too.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Asuka looks like a cross between Tagiru and Yuu. I like Haru so far, he doesn't sound like a typical hothead leader, he sounds very laid back but imaginative at the same time, much like Takato was. I don't really have an opinion of the girl.

Edit; Wait did I just read that Dokamon refers to Gatchmon as his "Aniki"? Nice to see another Digimon in the series, refer to someone else as their "Aniki".

Last edited:

Apashi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Everytime I see new Appmon news I think "Digimon has evolved into Appmon". Not a complaint. I'm liking these designs more than Tri already. They're way closer to the first 4 seasons and Xros Wars than Tri. I like the clothes especially. The character designer did a great job of sticking with the format, even if these guys seem to be a bit more anatomically proportionate than my favorite seasons. Looking forward to more info on the Hackmon pair. (And yeah Asuka does look like Naruto)

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looks like he's got a Naruto look going on there.
I think he looks more like Max from the first generation of Beyblade. Also, Eri is my new anime crush/waifu <3