Appmon Beginning in France and Hong Kong

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We have the first solid info on a Western country running Appmon!

Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters is currently scheduled to begin a run on French channel 'Boing' on Saturday, October 21st at 5:50pm under the title "Digimon Appmon."

Character names given in the short description given for episode 1 stick to the Japanese names: Haru Shinkai, Gatchmon, Messemon, Yujin.

The first episode is listed as "Résultat de la recherche: Haru Shinkai! Gatchmon fait son entrée" which translated to English roughly as "Search Result: Haru Shinkai! Gatchmon makes his Entrance" which is reasonably close to what has generally been used as the translated Japanese title of episode 1.

Toei has often done licensing in various European companies completely separate from many English speaking countries, so while it's good we have confirmation of what appears to be the first western country getting a version of Appmon, it doesn't necessarily give us solid info on what to expect for the rest of us (or it could be announced tomorrow for all we know.)

Thanks to a number of people for sending this in.

Update- Thanks to Marotaku we have a few more details and a commercial for the French run on Boing.

If the embed doesn't work here is a direct link.

The October 21st showing is apparently an early airing of episode 1, with the full run beginning on October 23rd at 5:45pm.

Update- It's also been confirmed for Hong Kong, dubbed in Cantonese, as Digimon App Generation, beginning October 26th on TVB.

Thanks to DigiSoul for the heads up on that detail.

We won't be going over every country getting a localized version of Appmon, but since these appear to be among the first (with the first western release), it seemed notable.

Update- Another update via our friend Marotaku! It's the French Appmon logo!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Well... that is certainly a logo that exists.

Update- The opening and the ending as aired in France!

So in show they are using a shortened version of the English promotional/sales logo.

It uses the Japanese OP and ED themes, but it's running sped up with no pitch correction to account for the framerate difference between film and PAL. The little bit of dialogue we get sounds fine, so it appears the dub is correctly recorded for PAL.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fingers crossed an English dub is coming up.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Darn. France. Oh well. Maybe that could get them to air it in more Euro-countries then expand to the US. That would be really nice but I'm sure any French members here are happy.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added Hong Kong dub information.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like the Hong Kong version's name, would love to see an English adaption use that title.

Takao

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kind of surprised to see the rollout start so quickly. After MIPCOM 2016, Toei pretty much stopped advertising the show in the industry trades. That usually means they've found an all-encompassing buyer, or literally no one's interested. They have been showcasing Adventure Tri, however.

I'm also reminded of the arguments people had over how to translate this show's subtitle. I was always Team Appmon because "Appli" is almost exclusively a Japanese contraction.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kind of surprised to see the rollout start so quickly. After MIPCOM 2016, Toei pretty much stopped advertising the show in the industry trades. That usually means they've found an all-encompassing buyer, or literally no one's interested. They have been showcasing Adventure Tri, however.

I'm also reminded of the arguments people had over how to translate this show's subtitle. I was always Team Appmon because "Appli" is almost exclusively a Japanese contraction.

That's generally not 'quiet' as true as people take it for to be honest.

Anime that companies believe can 'break through' tend to get one or two big pushes, and then they are talking with companies behind the scenes.

We were only made aware of the big push at MIPCOM because that was the one where Toei was saying publicly "it's available" and showing it off as such to potential 'new' partners.

After that point they aren't going to spend the effort, because it's unlikely to stumble into 'new' partners if they aren't interested at that point, so they will go back to the tried and true methods and companies they develop with.

That's to say nothing of it's appearance at trade shows dedicated to Japanese based media, potential closed door meetings at other events, etc.

I mean, Dragon Ball Super was shown at a handful of trade shows, wasn't simulcast for it's first year, etc. but not one had 'bought' it yet, and many would be interested. It was a matter of Toei getting the deal they wanted.

Shinraisei

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Actually French (European French in particular) uses "Appli" to refer to apps quite frequently. Canada, it seems the Quebec Language Office opts for "application" over cool and hip contraction. Which is not new.

Digimon Appmon may actually be formatted as "Digimon: Appmon". I never really grew up with the French dub but I seem to recall Adventure 02 and Tamers being referred to as "Digimon: Saison 2" and "Digimon: Saison 3", but it's been so long I can't remember!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Actually French (European French in particular) uses "Appli" to refer to apps quite frequently. Canada, it seems the Quebec Language Office opts for "application" over cool and hip contraction. Which is not new.

It flows better as an overall title in Japanese also to be quite honest. Digimon is in the title, and 'AppliMonsters' gives something 'big' to focus on in the title.

Digimon Appmon may actually be formatted as "Digimon: Appmon".

I assume as such (or that the title is a short stand in title), but since that's all we have for now...

It certainly wouldn't be the first time stand in titles have been used for anime on guide/schedule information.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added a commercial and a few other updates for the French version to the news.

Takao

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We were only made aware of the big push at MIPCOM because that was the one where Toei was saying publicly "it's available" and showing it off as such to potential 'new' partners.

After that point they aren't going to spend the effort, because it's unlikely to stumble into 'new' partners if they aren't interested at that point, so they will go back to the tried and true methods and companies they develop with.

I'm not talking about wall to wall promo or anything like that. All of that's been devoted entirely on Dragon Ball Super, with Mazinger Z in some European trades this year. Toei just didn't mention Appmon at all. Even in the databases that list 20+ shows from a company, Appmon was never there.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'm not talking about wall to wall promo or anything like that. All of that's been devoted entirely on Dragon Ball Super, with Mazinger Z in some European trades this year. Toei just didn't mention Appmon at all. Even in the databases that list 20+ shows from a company, Appmon was never there.

Which isn't uncommon, especially if they were waiting to do a larger push later.

Their signature titles they hope to make money on are going to be DB Super, and they have been talking about the international push for Mazinger as a huge priority for them.

I don't find it coincidental that Appmon has ended and less than 2 weeks later we have announcement of two different dubs starting within weeks.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fingers crossed for a Hindi dub!
Or at least an English dub available on Crunchyroll and/or Netflix. That'd be super awesome.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added an image of the French Appmon logo to the news.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That logo is... I'll leave it at nostalgic.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, if the pattern holds true, the Hong Kong Logo is gonna look great.

clanc

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And if that also holds true, then the HK dub in its entirety is gonna be great.