Appmon at MIPCOM 2016 entertainment trade show

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters will be one of the shows Toei will be focusing on at MIPCOM 2016.

Image Thumbnail

Included with the news is a promotional poster that includes an English logo with the title given as "Digimon Universe: Appmonsters" and with the title explicitly mentioned as the new Digimon series.

MIPCOM is a major industry trade show in France where various companies bring their entertainment products for meetings, screenings, etc. to try and find business partners around the world. One of the primary goals of bringing a series to MIPCOM is finding companies to license it for international distribution.

MIPCOM 2016 is October 17th thru 20th.

Thanks to Jonathan for the heads up.

Victor

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I like the soft confirmation of a western release. But what the f-hell is that logo? It looks awkward. And "Appmonsters?" I really, really thought they'd call it "Digimon: Mobilize" because this whole "Digimon Universe" thing is strange and somewhat misleading and weirdly offbrand. There are people out there calling this series "Universe" even thought "Applimonster" is the prominent part and now... Uh. It's one thing when Savers is also Data Squad and Xros Wars is also Fusion, but then now we got Applimonster/Appmon which is also Appmonsters.

Nobody, anywhere, is ever going to call this by it's correct name. I'm not someone who gets embarrassed by admitting I like certain things, but when the actual name of the thing is a mess like this... Uh. At least it doesn't have banana pants punctuation marks and mixed lower case upper case letters and is really pronounced as just a normal word.

DigiPokeMon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How come Toei doesnt dub Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters and Fusion Season 3 themseleves using Studiopolis?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How come Toei doesnt dub Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters and Fusion Season 3 themseleves using Studiopolis?
They may be for all we know.

They could be trying to find distribution for the show in various countries, licensing for areas they don't want to deal with, etc.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The P's in the logo really bother me, but otherwise it looks pretty nice and it's good to see they're trying to shop the show around. Hope we get this stateside one way or another soon.

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Victor, calling the show digimon mobilize sound kinda kiddish and stupid. I think calling it appmonsters sound great because it kinda sticking with the original concept, plus im kinda tired of company changing the name, the stroy, and the setting of the anime and dubbing into something that doesn't make any sense. For example digimon fusion, it was the worst dub the franchise ever had( really mikey, fusion fighter,Christopher, and lets not forget about pattamon). Why not keep xros wars, xros heart and digxros i think everyone can understand it even 8 year old. I was kinda worry at first when i heard that digimon adventure tri is getting dub because i was worry how different it was going to be compare to the original but im so glad that eleven arts or who ever dub it kept the original story and tone of tri, they even keep some of the Japanese music (koji wada:)). I want a good digimon dub with the same story, tone as the original, and good voice actors. Why dont they make a digimon universe appli monsters youtube channel and air new episode every saturday morning that way we as fan dont have to worry about censors.

Claymore

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I like the soft confirmation of a western release. But what the f-hell is that logo? It looks awkward. And "Appmonsters?" I really, really thought they'd call it "Digimon: Mobilize" because this whole "Digimon Universe" thing is strange and somewhat misleading and weirdly offbrand. There are people out there calling this series "Universe" even thought "Applimonster" is the prominent part and now... Uh. It's one thing when Savers is also Data Squad and Xros Wars is also Fusion, but then now we got Applimonster/Appmon which is also Appmonsters.

Nobody, anywhere, is ever going to call this by it's correct name. I'm not someone who gets embarrassed by admitting I like certain things, but when the actual name of the thing is a mess like this... Uh. At least it doesn't have banana pants punctuation marks and mixed lower case upper case letters and is really pronounced as just a normal word.
I agree that no two people seem to be able to call this by the same name, lol. It is weird, however, I'm guessing that the 'Digimon Universe' prefix is so that they can continue to branch out and that we'll see other products using that title.

But yeah ... that is one crappy logo. I don't know what the hell is going on there.

Scorpiomilo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

sounds like you just don't like appmon to begin with lol (joking) i think it look fine quite excited to see it in English plus from the first episode they only have to change about one word from the original scripted so all should be fine as long as the same people that dubbed fusion don't touch this we will be A.O.K

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
as long as the same people that dubbed fusion don't touch this we will be A.O.K
A dub working or not is based on multiple things and not just the actual production crew doing the dubbing.

I mean, the Adventure/02/Movie dub is nothing like Revenge of Diaboromon or the Savers dub despite the same director and person in charge of writing.

Tamers/Frontier are considered by many people to be fantastically dubbed, and it has the same director as Fusion.

I mean, any dubbed Digimon show/film since Revenge of Diaboromon forward has had the actual dub production done by Studiopolis (and even then, a chunk of the staff were involved with the Saban/Sensation era dubs.)

Sometimes things just don't work for various reasons.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Victor, calling the show digimon mobilize sound kinda kiddish
FACT: Digimon is a franchise designed to sell toys and games to children.
That might be true but it doesn't help your original argument at all. I don't see a reason why they should throw out any mention of appmon let alone use some super specific weird sounding fan made title.
The "Digimon Universe" part has been a part of all the titles so far and it's clear that they want that to be the designation of that part of the brand (not just the anime), so I don't think they would ever throw that out. And as far as Appmonsters goes, logo design aside why wouldn't that fit? that's what the new monsters are called and weird as the dub can be with their terminology changes I wouldn't think that they go as far as to simply call the Appmon "Digimon". So having only "Digimon" in the main title would just be confusing if they are not changing the name of the "Appmon".

Victor

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Victor, calling the show digimon mobilize sound kinda kiddish
FACT: Digimon is a franchise designed to sell toys and games to children.
That might be true but it doesn't help your original argument at all. I don't see a reason why they should throw out any mention of appmon let alone use some super specific weird sounding fan made title.
The "Digimon Universe" part has been a part of all the titles so far and it's clear that they want that to be the designation of that part of the brand (not just the anime), so I don't think they would ever throw that out. And as far as Appmonsters goes, logo design aside why wouldn't that fit? that's what the new monsters are called and weird as the dub can be with their terminology changes I wouldn't think that they go as far as to simply call the Appmon "Digimon". So having only "Digimon" in the main title would just be confusing if they are not changing the name of the "Appmon".
You raise a good point. Mobilize was just something i thought they would do, in line with Data Squad and Fusion, simplifying the original name. My argument was more to specifically focus on added confusion. We now have how many names for this? Appmon, which is short for Applimonsters and now Appmonsters. It may only be something that effects the older fandom and probably doesn't REALLY effect anything since everyone will probably now what we're always talking about. The added "Digimon Universe" even if it is just a branding theme, seems like a weird add on like "Saban's Masked Rider" or "Marvel's The Avengers."

And of course this is 100% me nitpicking what little we have to go on. In 6 months I won't care about any of this.

Takao

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No matter the contracted word, everyone knows exactly what you're referring to. Appmon is the same thing as Appmonsters, which is the same thing as Applimonsters, etc.

As for the logo, really don't sweat it right now. A lot of early sales sheets use temp materials. Even if that is a finalized name and design, it's probably not what you'll get on any western English language release. Some of you may recall that Toei's official international name for Digimon Xros Wars isn't Digimon Fusion, but actually Digimon Fusion Battles. That name and logo were never seen outside of South East Asia and Italy. The same goes for Data Squad, which was sold in English speaking Asia under its original Japanese name.

I don't think the Digimon Universe branding means much other than brand recognition. As it stands right now, Appmon has even less to do with traditional Digimon conventions than the typical relaunch in this franchise. At least in terms of visual and merch direction (the narrative might be elsewhere), it feels like those involved want to make a Yo-Kai Watch, but realize launching a new IP is hard, so they slap the Digimon name on it in hopes of sparking some nostalgia in young parents at the toy isle. Kind of like how Skylanders has nothing to do with Spyro, but the first game was branded as a Spyro spinoff. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for the logo, really don't sweat it right now. A lot of early sales sheets use temp materials. Even if that is a finalized name and design, it's probably not what you'll get on any western English language release.
This is effectively what we all assume, but it doesn't mean we can't hope for a better title and a logo that is less ugly (and the 'English-ized' Japanese logo has made multiple appearances lately from other brands, so there is a vague chance we could potentially get the English logo we see there... which is a problematic logo design in multiple ways.)

I don't think the Digimon Universe branding means much other than brand recognition. As it stands right now, Appmon has even less to do with traditional Digimon conventions than the typical relaunch in this franchise. At least in terms of visual and merch direction (the narrative might be elsewhere), it feels like those involved want to make a Yo-Kai Watch, but realize launching a new IP is hard, so they slap the Digimon name on it in hopes of sparking some nostalgia in young parents at the toy isle. Kind of like how Skylanders has nothing to do with Spyro, but the first game was branded as a Spyro spinoff. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'd say you are wrong about this. Their own sales lines are designating it as the next Digimon series, not a spin-off, extension, etc.

And the show thus far is pretty much still Digimon, just with some terms changed.

Skylanders was, originally, being sold as a spinoff, etc. as you mention.

This is, based on all the information we've seen thus far, literally being sold as 'new' Digimon.

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You raise a good point. Mobilize was just something i thought they would do, in line with Data Squad and Fusion, simplifying the original name. My argument was more to specifically focus on added confusion. We now have how many names for this? Appmon, which is short for Applimonsters and now Appmonsters. It may only be something that effects the older fandom and probably doesn't REALLY effect anything since everyone will probably now what we're always talking about. The added "Digimon Universe" even if it is just a branding theme, seems like a weird add on like "Saban's Masked Rider" or "Marvel's The Avengers."

And of course this is 100% me nitpicking what little we have to go on. In 6 months I won't care about any of this.
Applimonsters = Appmonsters.

The reason why the names are different is because in English, we refer to applications on a smartphone as apps; in Japanese, the shorthand is appli. They mean the same thing but the name does have to be localized depending on the region. No English-speaker will immediately think of smartphone apps upon encountering the word "appli" either in text or spoken word.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's time to move on from deep analysis of one person's nitpicking a title.

To be clear, that is aimed at no one in particular. I just think after a page we can move on from analyzing and going over Victor's opinion on the matter when it's clear that most people don't agree, and everyone is popping in to explain 'why' they don't agree.

Talking about the title is fine, but let's move on from the actual discussing of Victor's opinion on the matter, which has largely just become a dogpile at this point.

Serious question. Despite that logo being ugly... Would it work well enough if they simply cleaned up the 2 ps?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Universe AppMosnters? Eh. Sounds about as good as any title we could get. You'd almost expect it to be Mobilize. Or at least have that be in the show somewhere. But I don't mind the name.

Kai32

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
well i can see saban picking this up but doing it as a netflix orignal kids anime. i mean fusion was them treding back in to dubbing anime world. cause saban used to dub anime first before being known as people who made power rangers. glitter force an anime english dub adaption of another Toei show called smile precure was really well done and the dub is ten time better then fusions. so i think the new saban brand deserve a second chance and have glitter force dubbing team behind this show in doing.