Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The first proper longer trailer for the Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters 3ds game has shown up.

We've gone ahead and made a mirror at Daily Motion since it's region locked and embedded it here.

Interestingly it appears Onmon will be important to the game, and is even in the logo for the game.

Flying through the screen at various points are designs for (I think) various new Appmon.

Various concepts introduced for the franchise like AppLink and AppFusion are on display in the trailer, along with using the Appmon Chips.

The game looks about how you'd expect a Japanese monster battling game to look.

Thanks to Shikou for the heads up.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I caught the names Tellermon, Onpamon, Denpamon, Jishomon, and Batterymon. Man I really hope this game comes to America, although the fact that the last few Appmon PVs have been region locked makes me doubtful.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I caught the names Tellermon, Onpamon, Denpamon, Jishomon, and Batterymon. Man I really hope this game comes to America, although the fact that the last few Appmon PVs have been region locked makes me doubtful.
Technically speaking, if you are looking at region locking for evidence, it should be the opposite.

If they had no intention to have it come out here, there is no reason to lock it. Region locking is something you do to frame/sell/etc as you want it region by region.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, what's up with all these region-locked PVs? Is this only done for Digimon? Because I think I saw other Bandai PVs recently that weren't region-locked.

Anyway, judging from the PV, it seems the protagonist (which in the trailer is named Ban'namu, after Bandai-Namco) has Onmon as a partner while a rival (?) character has Offmon. The protagonist also has the same hairstyle as Haru, although it's a different hair color. I wonder if there's a gender option in the game. There's no reason not to, right? But again, we had DWRD a few years ago.

We also see that Onmon's attack is called Switch Spark. We had already seen before from screenshots that Offmon's attack is Switch Lazy. Calling it now: If there's an Onmon and Offmon fusion, it's called Switchmon.

Shikou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be pre-ordering the game when pre orders are up. It looks kinda cool!

If Onmon and Offmon are the protagonists then I'm buying it!!! Lots of new Appmon in the trailer; there is this one which ressembles Belphemon Sleep Mode a lot that caught specially my eye. By the way, is the Nintendo 3DS already region-free?
Its still region locked unfortunately because... Nintendo. However, before Iwata's passing though he expressed about possibly getting rid of it for the next gen console and handheld. He also expressed it made no sense to him to remove [the region lock] what was already there. I strongly believe this is a Japanese cultural mindset that they have there. They see no sense of changing what was already made. Like for example you cant ask for an extra ketchup pack nor can you ask them to make you a hamburger without pickles, they will not do it (yes, this really happens). I hope whoever is in charge of Nintendo now would get rid of it for the next Gen handheld and console. What I find strange about the 3DS is that 3DS games are region locked on a 3DS but not original DS games while they originally were region locked on a DSi. I bought a Japanese 3DS for reasons like these.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I count at least 11 new Appmon (12 if the recolored Musimon thing counts). The names we got, as Tortoiseshel noted, are Tellermon (fortuneteller monster), Onbamon (sound space monster), Jishomon (dictionary monster), Denpamon (radio wave monster), and Batterymon (different from the one that already existed). As far as attacks go, I noticed DoGatchmon has DoGatch Buster, Cameramon has Killing Shutter, Mailmon has Mail Darts, Scopemon has Deadly Snipe, and Dosukomon has Shot [unknown kanji] Hand.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Technically speaking, if you are looking at region locking for evidence, it should be the opposite.

If they had no intention to have it come out here, there is no reason to lock it. Region locking is something you do to frame/sell/etc as you want it region by region.

Woah maybe you're right. They region locked the Tri videos despite not doing it originally and we recently found out that they're dubbing them in English.

I hope it comes to the US because I want to (legally) download the app or 3DS app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
and Dosukomon has Shot [unknown kanji] Hand.
ジェット張手 (Jet Harite), Harite is the sumo move where you slap the opponent's face with your palms.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like that GPS appmon and how its design resembles clockmon. I hope we get a fusion of both of them. I also wonder if Onmon is a seven code appmon. Would explain why he appears to be so important.

ShikaSS

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, there are many cool new Appmon. Though I'm not fond of Denpamon and Onpamon.

Tyilinmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It seems fun, but I think there could really be old digimons in the game. It doesn't look there will be, though...

Devimon4000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon so far has very unified aesthetic for it's monsters that basically "regular" Digimon don't really fit well into, and we've already seen if they want to leverage pre-existing Digimon they can just redesign them into Appmon. The ever increasing number of all new Appmon suggests that original line of thought that "of course regular Digimon will show up, easy way to pad out the monsters" might be wrong. It seems like Appmon is meant o be far more focused and throwing in older Digimon with their myriad of design approaches would dilute that. I definitely get the feeling that if successful Appmon is meant to replace the now unfocused mess Digimon has dug itself into and act as a new foundation.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As excited as I am for Appmon, I really don't want it to replace Digimon as we know it. I'd be okay if Bandai wanted to focus exclusively on Appmon for a bit while putting Digimon to the side, but I'd prefer it stay a spinoff and not become the new "face" of the franchise.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The new Appmon designs look consistently good but I don't know about the rest of the game. Generic blueish cyberspace really isn't that interesting to look at and I think Cyber Sleuth had enough of that, not to mention tri's weird cyberspace and the boring arena design in Linkz..(and in general one neat aspect of Digimons usual take take on digital worlds is that it mostly avoids the shiny laser cyberspace look with floating icons and UI elements... or at least uses such areas sparingly as in the actual internet dimension in movie 2 or Yggdrasil's special administrative layer in X-Evolution) Of course they could still keep the more interesting areas of the game a secret for now but just from the trailer I don't see anything terribly interesting gameplay or design wise.
Let's just hope that the game is "skippable" in the sense that its story doesn't have too much of an impact on the anime's story since I imagine detailed information on the game might be harder to come by than the anime itself... like it usually works with digimon games.

As excited as I am for Appmon, I really don't want it to replace Digimon as we know it. I'd be okay if Bandai wanted to focus exclusively on Appmon for a bit while putting Digimon to the side, but I'd prefer it stay a spinoff and not become the new "face" of the franchise.
Don't worry. "normal" Digimon products are still being released so right now would be a really bad time to remove the past of the franchise so top speak. In fact rather than being "unfocused", Digimon in general has been coming back in a big way big throughout the last few years.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's pretty clear that Appmon is not going to entirely replace Digimon. If it was they wouldn't still be putting out Digimon stuff, and wouldn't have called the new anime Digimon Universe.

Edit:
Hey, at least the generic blue space in this game is slightly more interesting than the scenery of Digimon World 2's dungeons.

Devimon4000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My feelings is, if it's full spin off that's fine, as long as its paired with a mine line that also well defined; but if it's yet another "let's take Digimon in an all new direction and then forget all about it!" you know like spirit Digimon, X-Antibody, Xros Digimon and probably more I can't think of off the top my head, that utter lack of clear direction or firm foundation of what Digimon is isn't something I feel is good for the franchise. I much rather pick a direction and build off of it even if its' not a direction I personally like.

Hey, at least the generic blue space in this game is slightly more interesting than the scenery of Digimon World 2's dungeons.
That's hardily an accomplishment.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope they do bring it here. They could just put it on the eShop. Wouldn't that be a cheaper place then making physical copies? As long as they don't cut half of it like this one Yugioh game.

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it's starting to look more interesting, really liking the shader that makes it look more like bandais official art.
If it gets localized I'll probably get it, it looks like it could be pretty fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.