Appmon 3DS Game Artwork, Story Bits and Cyber Arena Release

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Various new bits of info and art for the 3DS Appmon game has shown up.

Image Thumbnail

Clean box-art for the full game, and it looks really nice.

Image Thumbnail

We also have further details on Cyber Arena, the early digital release.

I think we already knew it was coming September 21st, but that's now been confirmed.

It's also been detailed what exactly Cyber Arena will be.

It will be free on the 3DS eShop and effectively acts as an expanded demo of the full game.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Various screenshots were released to show off more bits of the game and it's features.

Bandai makes it clear that in Cyber Arena there is no time limit, so you can play all you want, and anything you do it in it will be transferable to the full game upon release.

In addition to the 'arena battles' shown off earlier (which appears to have both offline and online components), Cyber Arena will include the first chunk of the story from the full game, and there will be various items given if you play every day.

Now... as for further details...

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

The main hero/protagonist has no name and is deemed to be 'you' in the game. You can choose whether you want to be a boy or a girl and your character is a second year junior high school student. You will be partnered with Onmon.

Image Thumbnail

This is your rival, Naoto (Naoto is a generic male name in Japan, it'd be like using John or Steve in the USA.) When they were children the protagonist often played with him, but recently they've stopped hanging out together. He's partnered with Offmon.

Image Thumbnail

The key art from the cover looks extra nice without all the cover kibble. We see various characters who aren't from the show and will no doubt show up in the game somewhere, and of course, we also have Gatchmon and Haru showing up, so some sort of anime tie in in the games story is apparent.

Thanks to theigno, TMS, and Shadow Shinji for pointing out the news as reported by 4gamer.

Prior thread for the game is here. Feel free to continue any discussions.

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like the character designs, both rival and female hero but the male hero is eh... and i still hope this franchise become multiplataform and no just 3DS, either way i doubt this will be localize since bandai needs release the appmon chips in the west.

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The game certainly looks interesting. Though I'll have to see a bit more before I can decide on whether to get it or not.

I do wonder how Haru will fit into it though.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like the character designs, both rival and female hero but the male hero is eh... and i still hope this franchise become multiplataform and no just 3DS, either way i doubt this will be localize since bandai needs release the appmon chips in the west.
What platform should it be ported to?

Most of the potential platforms wouldn't really fit well. Porting to iOS/Android seems pseudo-reasonable, but it seems like if wanted a game on mobile, they'd likely make something more unique to those platforms

The game certainly looks interesting. Though I'll have to see a bit more before I can decide on whether to get it or not.

If I had to randomly guess... Either recurs randomly, or a small story bit with him and Gatchmon. That's what you tend to see with this type of thing.

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Probably the game is based on the anime but instead of you be the protagonist you will be a unique character exclusive from game.

What platform should it be ported to?

Most of the potential platforms wouldn't really fit well. Porting to iOS/Android seems pseudo-reasonable, but it seems like if wanted a game on mobile, they'd likely make something more unique to those platforms
Current mobile devices or handhelds, like Android/IOS or PS Vita, the thing is, digimon in nintendo console for some weird reason never sold as good as they sold in playstation consoles being Re:digitize and Cyber Sleuth the most popular in portable playstation, DS got Xros Wars Blue/Red but japan only...

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Removed your double post.

Current mobile devices or handhelds, like Android/IOS or PS Vita, the thing is, digimon in nintendo console for some weird reason never sold as good as they sold in playstation consoles being Re:digitize and Cyber Sleuth the most popular in portable playstation, DS got Xros Wars Blue/Red but japan only...
The thing is, there are different markets for the systems.

Stuff like Cyber Sleuth sold to the otaku market, which is based on the Vita, which othewise has very little in the way of things to sell and is basically a dead system (this appears to be part of the reason why Re:Digitize was ported from the PSP to the 3DS, with the PSP catering to an otaku market at the time and believing the game might have more potential.)

Appmon is aimed at the younger market in general, so the 3DS is the place to go, because it's the portable system most people have.

The Xros Wars game duo was on DS because it was built off a pre-existing game engine that already existed on the DS, so it could be put together quickly and cheaply to tie into the show.

Mobile would certainly be a good idea, but premium priced games on mobile have proved to be a bit of a fight.

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Removed your double post.

The thing is, there are different markets for the systems.

Stuff like Cyber Sleuth sold to the otaku market, which is based on the Vita, which othewise has very little in the way of things to sell and is basically a dead system.

Appmon is aimed at the younger market in general, so the 3DS is the place to go, because it's the portable system most people have.

The Xros Wars game was on DS because it was built off a pre-existing game engine that already existed on the DS, so it could be put together quickly and cheaply to tie into the show.

Mobile would certainly be a good idea, but premium priced games on mobile have proved to be a bit of a fight.
Yes i know about the market for 3DS and makes sense for the "chibi" looking of appmons and also yes about "dead system" but some way is still popular in japan, atleast releasing the game in japan no cares, playstastion always has been region free since ps3 (ps1 and ps2 also but the whole stuff with NTSC and PAL screens was mess), but in the case of 3DS, get a japanese 3DS or beg for localize which is hard.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the Appmon PVs being region locked, that suggests to me that they may be localising it. Perhaps in secret...?

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The protagonist's school is called Hifumigaoka (ヒフミヶ丘). I wonder if that's the school from the anime. Weird how the name combines katakana and kanji.

Nao (直) is Japanese for "doing nothing", which matches the theme of Offmon (Offline. "Switch Lazy"), so it could be why they named him Naoto.

Haru appearing makes me wonder if other characters will be in the game, or if game characters will appear in one anime episode to advertise the game, like Spadamon.

Also, it appears nobody else noticed, and I forgot to mention it when I posted in the trailer thread, but in the trailer, at the 1:00 mark, we see the name "Swipemon" in the bottom screen. So, that's another Appmon we know exists.

With the Appmon PVs being region locked, that suggests to me that they may be localising it. Perhaps in secret...?
And this makes me wonder if they will dub the series soon. It has been one year and six days since the American airing of XW's season 2 and no news of Hunters. Could they be skipping it? Not airing Hunters wouldn't make "Fusion" look like a cancelled series, since Bagramon's defeat was already aired and there's no cliffhanger and all series other than 02 end with humans and Digimon parting ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Removed chunks of your post that appeared to be nothing other than you theorizing/making stuff up.

You've been warned to stop doing that an obscene number of times in the vast majority of your posts.

A HUGE chunk of your post was going over name origins for characters who have been specifically stated (at least thus far) to not have names.

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do we know how important the physical chips are to the game?

Are the medals from Yo-Kai Watch comparable? I'm not super familiar with Yo-Kai Watch, but I know Nintendo brought those over to the west in some way.

Not sure if something similar could be done here.

A HUGE chunk of your post was going over name origins for characters who have been specifically stated (at least thus far) to not have names.
Damn, I really wanted to see how G-SANtos violated causality.

Last edited:

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do we know how important the physical chips are to the game?

Are the medals from Yo-Kai Watch comparable? I'm not super familiar with Yo-Kai Watch, but I know Nintendo brought those over to the west in some way.

Not sure if something similar could be done here.
So is a "free to play game" i guess they will refund the money making the players buy chips for unlock the appmons in the game, i think.

Something like that happened with beyblade games for smartphones in japan.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the male chara is basically Reiji from Gundam Build Fighter (same artist tho)
lol

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't get why people are complaining about the game being exclusive to Japan. Nintendo seems to be on its way to do away with region-locking (seems they learnt their huge mistake with the 3DS; also there are loads of rumours of the Nintendo NX being a console-handheld hybrid, so idk). As for people whining about no Appmon game on the Vita or the PS3/PS4, good riddance! Bandai Namco Games had been neglecting Nintendo consoles for quite a while, at least when it came to Digimon (I was downright pissed when they didn't port All-Star Rumble to the Wii U), or any spin-off thereof, and I'm glad we're finally getting a new game for the 3DS. Now they just need to port Cyber Sleuth and Next 0rder to either the 3DS or the upcoming Nintendo NX, and then they'll have redeemed themselves in the eyes of us Nintendo gamers. As for the protagonist, I'm not sure how I feel about a redheaded goggle boy (WAY to go even more unnatural, Toei).

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least I don't have to say about why this is on the 3DS. Others already did. Though, the chips could be used to scan in something if they have something to scan. That's what Yokai Watch does. It gives you coins to try to get a Yokai. The RNG for game one sucks but that's unrelated. I think this sounds interesting. And I like the male/female protags. If only because why not. I'll choose a guy but still.

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't get why people are complaining about the game being exclusive to Japan. Nintendo seems to be on its way to do away with region-locking (seems they learnt their huge mistake with the 3DS; also there are loads of rumours of the Nintendo NX being a console-handheld hybrid, so idk). As for people whining about no Appmon game on the Vita or the PS3/PS4, good riddance! Bandai Namco Games had been neglecting Nintendo consoles for quite a while, at least when it came to Digimon (I was downright pissed when they didn't port All-Star Rumble to the Wii U), or any spin-off thereof, and I'm glad we're finally getting a new game for the 3DS. Now they just need to port Cyber Sleuth and Next 0rder to either the 3DS or the upcoming Nintendo NX, and then they'll have redeemed themselves in the eyes of us Nintendo gamers. As for the protagonist, I'm not sure how I feel about a redheaded goggle boy (WAY to go even more unnatural, Toei).
Still waiting for Re: Digitize Decode in the west, such dreams, everyone will beg for X game being release on their favorite console or PC, i prefer games to be multiplataform.

Either way apparently the big game will be the the non-free version after this one, i will look forward for that and i need a full gameplay for get interest in the game right now, i am not like it atall.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always wanted some big games to be multiplatform too but I won't get into that as it's just one long rant about certain people and or companies. ...They may release a PSP version in Japan if they need to. But does it have some kind of scan? Like a camera.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It looks like the Vita has a camera or two. Don't have a Vita myself, but have handled one.

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It looks like the Vita has a camera or two. Don't have a Vita myself, but have handled one.
2 cameras, In front with VGA resolution and back with 2 MP, when the console was the best thing (before ps4) was use for augment reality with various cool games.

So can be used for scan QR codes too.