Applimonsters Preview Thread (contains spoilers)

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ep 52: Our Singularity
The showdown with Leviathan approaches at last. Haru and Gatchmon show the power of their bond as Buddies! The Applidrivers rise to face the final, decisive battle in order to carve out a future for everyone!

didn't spoiler tag because the description itself doesn't really spoil much. lol

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Leviathan like Leviathan, the question should be "Will Haru be able to reach his boyfriend's heart?".

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Battle Spirits is an ongoing, successful franchise, and there's still several months between new shows sometimes. I don't think we need to assume this is a sign Digimon is going back into hiberation.
I believe that happened all of once, which isn’t much of a precedent. It’s unsurprising, however, that it coincided with a network change, which has happened with Digimon twice already, especially when you consider that Appmon was moved to a more distinguished time slot at its halfway point. Maybe it did so well that Bandai or Toei decided they wanted it in an even choicer spot, but the only one available was on a different network. In any case this feels very different from the end of Young Hunters where it was obvious that the licence was just petering out, and while I wasn’t around for broadcast of Savers (and was too young to really grok this kind of shit at the conclusion of Frontier), I get a similar impression from what I hear from people who were around during the franchise’s first two hibernations.

If i recall correctly, from an interview earlier this year, it is said that there'll be new animation for Digimon this year. Not sure if it was literally said or just one of our hopeful interpretation.
I feel like other people would have picked up on that if it were true, and even if not, that could just refer to Tri or to the episodes of Appmon already in production. It’s September: we aren’t going to get a new year-long show before spring, because they never start stuff like that later than October and if there were something in the pipes for next month we’d have heard of it by now.

Last edited:

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm. So it was. Still, I think it's too early to say either way. The franchise is in the best shape it's been in years.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I concur — and since you and I never agree on anything, this must be true. Frankly I was surprised that we didn’t get news of another series by now, as I truly do feel the franchise is finally entering its silver age (and I say this despite not being particularly fond either of Appmon or of Tri​). I suspect that there must be something else planned, like a network change.

Last edited:

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You're right, we never do agree

*checks outside for dragons of the apocalypse*

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I ship it. :D

If we have another anime, maybe we could have one filler crossover episode with Appmon, like Toei love to do with their Kamen Rider.

Vice

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I ship it. :D

If we have another anime, maybe we could have one filler crossover episode with Appmon, like Toei love to do with their Kamen Rider.
I'm actually hoping that for the 20th anniversary of Digimon, we get some kind of crossover TV special or movie since we have a 20th anniversary poster with all the leaders, and Taichi and Haru are in the front.

My prediction as to how this well end next week; I'm sure Yujin will be reprogrammed after Leviathan is defeated, and he will live life like a normal human, and he and Haru will remain best friends forever. I'm also predicting a sad ending for this series, but in the end Haru will be happy because he has his BFF/lover Yujin.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/appmon/news/2017092501.php
This is an interesting interview with Rei and Hackmon's voice actors. It's probably nothing important being that it's just Rei's voice actor who says this, but he says, "I really don't want to end. Personally I think that this is just the end of the 1st season. " Also, it's pretty funny how his favorite Rei seen is the JUMPING HAPPY THUNDER scene.

Hackmon's voice actor also says that he hopes for people to continue watching and supporting the show and we may just see Hackmon appear again in the future.

Last edited:

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Toshiyuki Toyonaga
I'd never imagined the day would come when I'd have to do a high-pitched Jumping Happy Thunder as Rei-kun (laughs). He really does have quite a childlike side to him, doesn't he? At least that's what I think ♪ I hope he and Hajime-kun can be together forever...
At last, we're at the final episode. To be honest, I don't want it to end. Personally, I see it as the end of the first season.
The path that Rei-kun and Hackmon travelled together...I hope everyone can watch over the end of Rei's journey, now that he's no longer alone.
All of the Applidrivers rise to challenge in this final episode! Please watch till the very end.

Daisuke Sakaguchi
It was a fun year! Both the show itself and the recording atmosphere were the greatest.
I'm glad to have met Hackmon, a character with a cool personality and who sometimes? Makes little remarks here and there.
The last episode is just full of developments you cannot miss! What will happen to Haru and Yuujin? I wouldn't want it to end like that [how it ended in ep 51]! What about the relationships between the Appmon and their Buddies?
And in the first place, can Leviathan even be defeated? As well as other questions. There's a lot packed into this episode, so please watch it!
Also, with everyone's support, we may be able to Appliarise Hackmon again. So please continue to support Appli Monsters for time to come!

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I doubt it, but the subtle hinting makes me *hope* for some kind of movie/OVA followup akin to Runaway Locomon.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If 52 turns out to be "not quite" the end of this season, I can guarantee you that this Friday-Saturday, social media will explode, and I will be a part of that explosion.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If there really is a continuation of the appmon series, I'd rather it be an entirely new cast. If they feel like they HAVE to bring the old cast back, have them play roles similar to the adventure cast in 02 but significantly smaller. To the point to where they're hardly even relevant to the main plot so the new cast can shine. Which is what I feel was the biggest problem with 02.

Or, don't bring in a new casr of characters at all and use the ones they've already got. Give Ai and Watson some Appmon and make then relevant.

I just really don't want a young hunters.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True. I'm fine with 52 being the finale, and I'm also fine with one OVA or something as the absolute finale.

Nonetheless, I do agree that, if they continue it, they would need to either make a new universe (haha), or to carefully use the existing cast to continue it.

On the one hand... we need to be careful not to force in a new plot.

On the other... you'd make soooooo many people happy if you made Ai-chan the second season protag!

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't even care for Ai but I'd be interested in seeing how Digimon actually handles having a female protagonist. The closest we've got is... Rina. And her game's not even translated so no one in the western fandom really even knows her story...

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shiho Kokido
I was totally feelin' this past year, I've grown so attached to Tora that I can't let go! The basis for Tora's character, his cheerfulness and optimism, have really pulled me in.
I looked forward to reading the script of this unpredictable story every week right up till the end.
Precisely because the world is becoming more automated each day, I hope that more people can watch this story and rediscover the warmth of humans and their hearts.
Please watch over Haru and his friends' story until the end!

Nao Tamura
Musimon's laidbackness, enthusiasm, and care for its friends.
I love every part of Musimon, and he's become someone precious to me. When he's together with Astra, their power of feelin' it gets multiplied! I guess you can't have Musimon without Astra too.
The scenes that left a deep impression on me and the scenes depicting the bond between Astra and Musimon were the first that came to mind. Your spirits get lifted just by looking at this yellow duo. Don't miss this yellow duo's usual antics in the final episode too!
Also, definitely do not miss where fate will take Haru and his friends!! Appmon is really feelin' it~!

[I don't watch the subs so idk how 'chou noreru' gets translated? I just translated it as "really feelin' it"]

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They use "totally feeling it" instead of "really feeling it", but I'd say both are fair translations, as "totally" might just be a bit of hyperbole.

Still... it seems they're going to be doing an interview with each of the buddies each day until the finale.

*excitement meter goes through the roof*

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't even care for Ai but I'd be interested in seeing how Digimon actually handles having a female protagonist.
This is one of the few things which I can actually believe might literally never happen. I don’t know of a single shōnen show or manga with a sole female protagonist — at best we get a dual-lead role with one male and one female. No, don’t bother pointing out the one out of literally hundreds of shows that had it: my point stands that it is, to this day, extremely unlikely in this specific genre. Hell it was fucking news when JoJo, with two decades of accumulated fandom and publicity, committed to a female lead for just one arc.