AppliMonsters Episode 52: Our Singularity

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dont want to come down on a Digimon series but appli monsters was the worst series ever, i think frontier and xros wars is way better in my opinion . First none of these kids ever go to school but they mention in the intro what grade haru is, what was the point of that. Then there a character that look like mr.Satan from dragon ball and never explain who is he and what was the point of showing him alot if he not someone important. Then the battle dont do any real damage to the appli monsters,it explodes and the appli monsters are ok. The evolution for the main characters is kinda dumb, they keep skipping the fusion scene and have a special chip to jump to the next level(what?). Then the whole time im thinking that leviathan was a strong being (like lucemon from frontier) but no he is a mechanical dragon that blast things. We never get to see who Minerva look like. And the characters are so annoying, eri never shut up with this universe catch phases and so is astra with his dumb catch phases every episode and speaking about eri it said she is an idol but i never heard her sing throughout the whole series. The only character i like is rei, he had a nice plot. And where are all of these characters parents. This is why i like digimon adventure 1, 2, tri, tamers, frontier, data squad , and xros wars the story made sense and the battle was awesome and it is way realistic than appli monsters. I hope they dont do another thing like this. Toei should go back and make what made digimon awesome, meaning one partner and one digivice and a digital worldbut instead of aiming for children, maybe they could try doing a more mature and realistic series. In my opinion
Is this a joke? Did you mistype your first sentence?

Like... literally everything you typed is what made Appmon good. Your complaints make no sense.

1. The characters actually -do- go to school a few times. Specifically to the gym where a cool AR Field Arena is. Not sure why you want to see the kids actually studying? Haru mentions his grade so you have an idea of how old he and the others are. It's context.

2. Mr. Satan is a comic relief background character. His job is to make jokes and lighten the mood, not have some huge character arc... See also: Cabbage Guy from Avatar.

3. Digimon and kids' show in general have a long history of characters surviving explosions with little more than smudged faces and a vague sense of fatigue. Appmon actually gets pretty graphic in some of its battles, particularly with Shutmon and the Applification Project. Your complaint makes no sense.

4. Evolution scenes are truncated after the first time to make room for more story? How terrible. This is a terrible decision. We want less story and more stock footage please.

5. You can dislike Leviathan's design, but I'm not sure where you get the idea that he's not powerful? And certainly in comparison to Lucemon...

6. Minerva is an A.I. ... it doesn't necessarily have to have a physical form. In fact, it seems like most A.I. wouldn't have physical forms. Leviathan spent the whole series trying to MAKE himself a physical form.

7. You can dislike characters. I think Eri is best-written female character in the franchise, but sure, I can see finding a catchphrase annoying.

8. The rest of your complaint about the characters is just blatantly wrong, though. Eri actually does have two episodes where she sings. That's more than most of the other seasons that have musician characters...

9. All of the main characters parents show up in the series. Haru's doesn't get any development, but Eri's mom and Astra's parents are their driving character motivations... They are actually REALLY important to the character arcs. Did you... just not watch most of the series?

10. One Partner with One Digivice? That is basically what Appmon does... If you don't like the AppFusion thing then why were you complaining about when they used the Chips to directly evolve their One Partner to the next form? Also, if the fusion partners bother you, then I imagine 02's Jogress/DNA Digivolve, Tamers' Biomerge, Frontier Fusion Hybrids, and Xros Wars' EVERYTHING must annoy you.

Oh my god, I can understand not liking Appmon. There are plenty of things that it could have done better. I am the first to complain about the filler/pacing and the missed opportunities for cool evolutions/strategic battles/usage of secondary characters like Ai/Wato/Izumi...

But seriously, these complaints are just objectively wrong...
In my opinion

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First of all jay, they dont have one partner in appli monsters because they can summon other appli monsters if the characters wanted to,example navimon. Second jogress from 02 is basically two main characters partners fuse not that the characters from 02 had multiple partners the fuse, in tamers the characters fuse with their own and only partner, the same goes with frontier sorta but with spirit and the characters stick to their elements, xros wars in the other hand had multiple partners but the series had a great story

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First of all, they clearly have a Main Partner. Their Digivices even have their Main Partner's name written on it in magic letters. The other Appmon are basically just there to power them up. They are literally Culumon. Appmon is more traditionally Digimon than Frontier/XW ever were. Frontier doesn't even have partners...

Secondly, 'Xros Wars has a great story' is uh... debatable. Especially if you're including Hunters.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As someone who enjoys Fusion warts and all, I do think that the story was good in concept albeit stymied by poor execution.

Vice

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was even sadder with subs, I wasn’t expecting Yujin or anyone else to die for that matter. He also chose to end his own life, because he didn’t want his friend to have live with that decision for the rest of his life. I enjoyed this last episode of Appmon and this series in general much more than the current episode of Tri, that debuted the same day. Seeing the caught up old man as a zombie and saying no made me sad for some reason lol. This was a great series, much better than Tri, and def Hunters.

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Torajiro!" Don't die!"

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do also think that Xros Wars' story is way better than Appmon's, especially after the way each season carry out each one, while Appmon's story is more relatable and probably valuable. The main issue Xros Wars has is that its evolution system is a total mess, but for maybe a few exceptions, that works fine inside the story because it is well paced and developed, but does not follow any kind of established patten, especially if you are this kind of person that needs to standardise everything. Hunters is another story though.

As for the finale of Appmon, I want to believe that Yujin returned to life, but that would leave too many inconsistencies as hell (like for example, what was the point of choosing between the humanity and Yujin, if the latter could be revived that easily? Or the fact that his human part was gone for good alongside Leviathan itself), so I assume is just a dream of what Haru would like to happen.

Last edited:

Nukara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think there is an open end, but I'm no longer sure of his death at the end. How to explain the frame with Yuzin's feet among the passers-by? Yes, and like Haru is going to someday "resurrect" him.
I do also think that Xros Wars' story is way better than Appmon's, especially after the way each season carry out each one, while Appmon's story is more relatable and probably valuable. The main issue Xros Wars has is that its evolution system is a total mess, but for maybe a few exceptions, that works fine inside the story because it is well paced and developed, but does not follow any kind of established patten, especially if you are this kind of person that needs to standardise everything. Hunters is another story though.

As for the finale of Appmon, I want to believe that Yujin returned to life, but that would leave too many inconsistencies as hell (like for example, what was the point of choosing between the humanity and Yujin, if the latter could be revived that easily? Or the fact that his human part was gone for good alongside Leviathan itself), so I assume is just a dream of what Haru would like to happen.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Note that Yujin's feet don't show up until all of the other people are no longer in the shot.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
T'was another fun ride. Appmon have both its strengths and shortcomings as another Digimon anime. It may not be perfect, but it leaves this decade old fan thankful for another journey. I think the ending is satisfactory, not limited by rushed pacing (Out of remaining dwindling budget, IIRC.) like what happened to Savers and Xros Wars.

Nukara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes there is. But I think this was done specifically, as I say above, so that the audience can decide this dream or reality.
Note that Yujin's feet don't show up until all of the other people are no longer in the shot.