AppliMonsters Episode 52: Our Singularity

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn't see the episode yet (a tradition!), and probably I will see it tomorrow, but if Denemon is back alive, he and Haru can bring back Yuujin in no time. If they have enough money.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's interesting how much I was able to pick up, even with basically not knowing Japanese.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Leviathan's plans to basically remove individuality from humanity, and "digitizing" them was the easiest way to do it?

Nukara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the answer. And then I was afraid that you will not understand what I'm writing about, my English is not very good. Yes, I agree that the ending is open and you need to wait for the sub. I hope for at least some OVA on this anime, but it is already unlikely
^The whole stretch? I can't load the ep now but it was something about Yuujin being the first AI to befriend a human, and Leviathan realising the unpredictability of humans and seeing their potential.
Just wait for subs if you want something more proper haha (just to reiterate, there is nothing that confirms whether the Yuujin at the end is real or not. it's an ambiguous ending.)

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Leviathan's plans to basically remove individuality from humanity, and "digitizing" them was the easiest way to do it?
More specifically it's to rid humanity of its problems such as lifespan, sickness, emotional burden, etc by regulating them as apps, believing this to be an improvement to/evolution of humanity.
Removing their individuality isn't so much Leviathan's goal, as is removing the problems that result from emotional conflict to make humanity more efficient.
Digitising them is so as to remove humanity's need for physical bodies and thus remove the problem of lifespan/sickness.

TheCyberSleuth

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looking back on it, Leviathan probably didn't think it was doing anything bad at all. It just wanted to see a humanity without fear or pain, but the consequence of that would be removing their individuality. If not for Yuujin, Leviathan probably would have went through with it, but after he'd felt the feeling of individuality, even if just for a short time, he realized his plan may not be the greatest. Leviathan's "Good luck, humanity" message was probably my favorite part of the series. Leviathan is probably one of the best villains Digimon has ever seen.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Agreed. Having a villain realize, 'maybe I was wrong', is not something you see often in media.I don't know it it's for our desire to "beat up the bad guy" or not.

#Redemtion4LeviaSan

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Agreed. Having a villain realize, 'maybe I was wrong', is not something you see often in media.I don't know it it's for our desire to "beat up the bad guy" or not.

#Redemtion4LeviaSan
Well we have Bagramon in both anime and manga of Xros Wars, and somehow also Yggdrasill in a lesser extent in Savers, while Yggdrasill is not a "villain" per se, but yeah is something quite unusual.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

#Redemtion4LeviaSan
Well we have Bagramon in both anime and manga of Xros Wars, and somehow also Yggdrasill in a lesser extent in Savers, while Yggdrasill is not a "villain" per se, but yeah is something quite unusual.
Lord Bagra is the better example of this since, unlike King Drasil who simply goes offline to allow the world to sort itself out, he actually tries to save the multiverse from the aftermath of his own actions by becoming the old clock shop man.

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just watched the sub.
- Didn't expect it was that easy for Haru to save himself from falling, i thought it was going to be Yuujin saving him, last ep's cliffhanger was kinda rendered useless.
- I remember when you guys predicted there'll be "Minerva Code" to counter 'L-code', and here we have it (though it's not named 'Minerva Code')
- Gaiamon awakened from inside a mountain (his second technique is 'Imagine Maar', Maar is something related to mountain), Poseidon awakened from the sea, Hadesmon.... from a building (at least i could link it into him awakening from beneath the underworld), and Uranusmon is... idk
- The fight scene after all are cool and kinda reminded me of Ultraman, but still.. i don't like how Shipviathan went from dominating to be totally dominated like that.
- Also i was hoping that Gaiamon would use Imagine Maar since he was inside that volcano, was still hoping to see him using that when instead he used energy blast from his chest.
- No, Halo-Halo for Uranusmon either
- Anyone know if those 2 attacks are animated anywhere?
- 'Fear', 'Scared, 'Death', 'Termination'.. the things that Leviathan wanted to get rid from humans, now it feels them.
- Damn, another unnamed attacks again -_-
- Some weeks ago i thought that for final fight there'll be new form for Gaiamon as per Digimon tradition to always give one level higher for main protagonist compared to the rest, i expected Gaiamon + Hadesmon or maybe + Rebootmon. But none of it happened. So this means that Appmon is the first "Digimon series" that give actual equality to their main casts (since Tamers has Crimson Mode, Savers has Agumon going Burst Mode. I can't really count "single form for all" like Susanoomon and X7SM for equality since it's more like the main protags are absorbing everyone else rather than being equal) with all of them reaching God Grade, no App-linked God Grade like what i heard in 3DS game.
- Dark web at last, though it's not what i was expected, at least they haven't forget it.
- Those app-humans seriously reminds me of anti-spiral from TTGL, it gives me the creep.
- Gaiamon's ability is still 'Creation', the same one we know since last year, unlike Hadesmon and Uranusmon that got their ability changed. One thing that bugged me is the ep 49 sub i watch has Hadesmon's ability as 'Variation' already when he got appliarised, which fit with his ability in the eye-ctacher. On other hand, Uranusmon's was still awakening while some episode later the eye-catcher has it as 'arousal'. Is this subber's fault?
- I didn't expect that we'll hear "Nooo" again after all the episodes we doesn't heard it anymore. It's not Appmon without the "Noooo!!" from 'Endlessly Suffering Old Man' after all.
- The scene with Yuujin almost made me cry
- WTF.. Den'emon got appliarised (so i guess he was the one who appliarised the kids back from dark web).. so is he an Appmon now? If he gets defeated, would he become a chip?

Now Appmon finally ends... i feel so empty now since it was a weekly show that i cared enough to participate in discussion forum for it, and also how i followed all the news before it even aired (just like Xros Wars era).. With Tri part 6 coming so far 9-11 months from now... i hope there's a surprise Toei/Bandai will throw for us for Digimon's 20th anniversary, even an announcement for Appmon CD drama with release date for 2018 is better than nothing Toei!

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Uranosmon is literally a sun rising from behind the hill, he even lamshaded it "it's the sun!"

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Uranosmon is literally a sun rising from behind the hill, he even lamshaded it "it's the sun!"
But what sun has to do with Uranus? Uranus is sky and Apollo is sun. The other 3 has their connection right, at least Uranusmon should be floating in the air unconscious.

Eitaroutarouman

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
- Some weeks ago i thought that for final fight there'll be new form for Gaiamon as per Digimon tradition to always give one level higher for main protagonist compared to the rest, i expected Gaiamon + Hadesmon or maybe + Rebootmon. But none of it happened. So this means that Appmon is the first "Digimon series" that give actual equality to their main casts (since Tamers has Crimson Mode, Savers has Agumon going Burst Mode. I can't really count "single form for all" like Susanoomon and X7SM for equality since it's more like the main protags are absorbing everyone else rather than being equal) with all of them reaching God Grade, no App-linked God Grade like what i heard in 3DS game.
Given how late they debuted, I'm guessing that the God Grades are essentially the equivalent to those for Appmon.

I mean they're Gods, after all. Heck, Susanoomon was named after a god.

- Gaiamon's ability is still 'Creation', the same one we know since last year, unlike Hadesmon and Uranusmon that got their ability changed. One thing that bugged me is the ep 49 sub i watch has Hadesmon's ability as 'Variation' already when he got appliarised, which fit with his ability in the eye-ctacher. On other hand, Uranusmon's was still awakening while some episode later the eye-catcher has it as 'arousal'. Is this subber's fault?
As far as I remember, the earlier ones were fan-translated and thus unofficial. Hadesmon's ability was translated by fans as "Change", but the eyecatch officially used "Variation", hence why the subber used that. The reason Ouranosmon's ability was different was because we didn't know what the official one was until the next episode.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was nice. Sad that Haru lost his BBFF but he'll just have to bring him back. Nice ending with Yujin and the choice. Plus that fight was awesome. Meanwhile, The No Guy said Yes! Ha ha. And Gramps is alive now. Astra's steal Apptubing, Eri(-sama)'s still the center of the universe, and Rei's learning to cook. I do kind of hope there's something else coming. Season 2 maybe? Or a new series. ...Now how bout a dub on Disney XD. Since that could be the only good place to air it with how CN is and how it did on Nick(toons). Also what about that 3DS game? I'd like that too please.

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So while you might think the end of the epilogue is a dream state, I prefer to think this is what happened. I mean it's literally all there, who needs Shinkai Haru, AI developer to make this work? You just need Mom, former worker of L Corp and the high tech Ozora basement.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So while you might think the end of the epilogue is a dream state, I prefer to think this is what happened. I mean it's literally all there, who needs Shinkai Haru, AI developer to make this work? You just need Mom, former worker of L Corp and the high tech Ozora basement.

That is genius! This is going to be my headcanon now.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just to be clear: The Japanese words that Change/Variation and Awakening/Arousal come from can decidedly be translated either way. The nuance of 'Kakusei' for example, is actually MUCH closer to the English word 'Awakening' than 'Arousal'. Yes, Arousal can mean 'being woken up', but it also has that pesky sexual connotation (the more common connotation to be honest). Translating it as Arousal is honestly misleading and no good translator would do it. Toei, as we know, are not good translators.

If anyone made a mistake, it's not the translators here.

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dont want to come down on a Digimon series but appli monsters was the worst series ever, i think frontier and xros wars is way better in my opinion . First none of these kids ever go to school but they mention in the intro what grade haru is, what was the point of that. Then there a character that look like mr.Satan from dragon ball and never explain who is he and what was the point of showing him alot if he not someone important. Then the battle dont do any real damage to the appli monsters,it explodes and the appli monsters are ok. The evolution for the main characters is kinda dumb, they keep skipping the fusion scene and have a special chip to jump to the next level(what?). Then the whole time im thinking that leviathan was a strong being (like lucemon from frontier) but no he is a mechanical dragon that blast things. We never get to see who Minerva look like. And the characters are so annoying, eri never shut up with this universe catch phases and so is astra with his dumb catch phases every episode and speaking about eri it said she is an idol but i never heard her sing throughout the whole series. The only character i like is rei, he had a nice plot. And where are all of these characters parents. This is why i like digimon adventure 1, 2, tri, tamers, frontier, data squad , and xros wars the story made sense and the battle was awesome and it is way realistic than appli monsters. I hope they dont do another thing like this. Toei should go back and make what made digimon awesome, meaning one partner and one digivice and a digital world but instead of aiming for children, maybe they could try doing a more mature and realistic series. In my opinion

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First none of these kids ever go to school but they mention in the intro what grade haru is, what was the point of that.
A lot of Japanese shows have little intros like that. You're nitpicking.

Then there a character that look like mr.Satan from dragon ball and never explain who is he and what was the point of showing him alot if he not someone important.
It's called a joke. That's the point of his character. He gets caught up in bad situations and yells "no", hence the name "caught-up old man."

Then the battle dont do any real damage to the appli monsters,it explodes and the appli monsters are ok.
...So? It's not like they're trying to murder the Appmon.
The evolution for the main characters is kinda dumb, they keep skipping the fusion scene and have a special chip to jump to the next level(what?).
The chip is created from the fusion.

And skipping it was really for the best. The high speed voice got grating after awhile.
Then the whole time im thinking that leviathan was a strong being (like lucemon from frontier) but no he is a mechanical dragon that blast things.
You mean Lucemon, the character who also turns into a dragon that blasts things? Also, I fail to see how being a dragon somehow means you're not strong. Guy kind of destroyed a large city pretty easily.
We never get to see who Minerva look like.
She was a computer program. She didn't really have a body for us to look at.

And the characters are so annoying, eri never shut up with this universe catch phases and so is astra with his dumb catch phases every episode
That's fair. They can get annoying, though Eri doesn't say the "center of the universe" line as much as her "explosive punch" line.

and speaking about eri it said she is an idol but i never heard her sing throughout the whole series.
She sang in episode 17. She also has three character songs on the album, one with Dokamon, one with her Idol partners, and the aformentioned song from episode 17.

Also, being an Idol is more than just singing.
And where are all of these characters parents.
At home or work. Like actual parents. It's not like every Digimon show focused on the parents this much. Frontier comes to mind.
This is why i like digimon adventure 1, 2, tri, tamers, frontier, data squad , and xros wars the story made sense and the battle was awesome and it is way realistic than appli monsters.
Can you explain why and how the "story made sense" and was "way realistic?" I don't see much of a difference.

Toei should go back and make what made digimon awesome, meaning one partner and one digivice and a digital worldbut instead of aiming for children
Tamers, Frontier, and Savers had more than one Digivice. Xros Wars had only one Digimon per kid. Also, the kids in this do only have one partner. The others are just extra power they can use. The show makes that quite clear.

Also, just to let you know, Digimon has always been for kids. Appmon may be aimed at kids younger than previous series, but it's always been a kids show.