AppliMonsters Episode 45: A Great Clash!? Gatchmon VS Agumon!

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
  • Is it considered ironic that Agumon attacked Watson's knight character considering he's half of a Royal Knight in many media?
  • Now I want to see a Wreck-It Ralph scenario in Digimon
  • Poor Eri and Yujin, Astra's having fun though
  • So Haru has both a Partner Digimon and a Buddy Appmon? I like Agumon and Gatchmon's relationship and would to see it develop further
  • Uratekumon is pretty scary and I like him
  • App Evolution?
  • Is Uratekumon dual type? His search showed his type as Social but he's normally classified as a Game type and his Chip is even orange, the color of Game Type Appmon.
Overall, just a very sweet episode.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd like to point out that the characters actually went to Nakano Broadstreet, not Nakano Broadway.

So Uratechmon was working for Leviathan. Nice to see another Super-grade Appmon in this show, even though it's really too late for it.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd like to point out that the characters actually went to Nakano Broadstreet, not Nakano Broadway.

So Uratechmon was working for Leviathan. Nice to see another Super-grade Appmon in this show, even though it's really too late for it.
With my extremely limited knowledge of Japan, and a quick Google search, and it looking exactly like Nakano Broadway, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume it's the same place, just with a slightly changed name.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of course. I only meant to point out that they had changed the name, which further dismisses that thing about Cyber Sleuth.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was Tripmon among the Appmon that were involved with waking up Sleepmon? We didn't see him or Damedamon become Chips like Uratekumon.

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
^iirc Coachmon was the only Super in the good morning competition.

Anyway I liked this ep, it was cute! I personally vastly prefer this method of crossovers compared to the Hunters one; I think the Hunters one would make for a cool crossover movie (like the Kamen Rider movies?), but the idea of it being part of/essential to the main plot doesn't sit well with me, since it feels to me like you're letting characters who've already had their time in the spotlight take more spotlight away from the actual series' characters who would appreciate that airtime.
I thought this crossover blends well enough into the Appmon story, as much as a filler ep can be anyway, and it adds to Haru's character (even if just a little) instead of just taking time away from them. And of course can't deny that the Globemon/Wargreymon fight was cool haha.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, we didn't see Tripmon in episode 43.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this is a commentary on both's cgi models, and not the actual shows (I don't wanna open that can of worms), buuut...

edit - I took it out. sorry everyone.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this is a commentary on both's cgi models, and not the actual shows (I don't wanna open that can of worms), buuut...
Honestly, you knew what you were posting was a can of worms in the first place, while also ignoring something obvious.

The tri. models are meant to be quick use models for only a few seconds, while Appmon spends time on more detailed models because it uses them for more animation for the characters.

To say nothing of using a screencap of Tailmon making a facial expression when WarGreymon doesn't really have a face that they had to deal with.

Making images to get a reaction out of people without proper context is basically the same as making ratty clickbait articles or videos.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Marc, I'm just poking fun. I like Tri. Tailmon just looks really gnarly.

I like all the other CGI models used for the Adults just fine in fact.

I also find it a little amusing cuz Appmon's CGI at the start was pretty terrible too.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I keep rewatching the fight. It's beautiful, other than Wargreymon butt getting more accentuated for some reason.
Wargreymon being taller and him deflecting the strike mean for Globemon made him look like a protective big brother.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Probably deliberate given Gatchmon's statement in the Data Lab segment. Digimon seem to be treated as an older sibling lifeform to Appmon.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon seem to be treated as an older sibling lifeform to Appmon.
I feel they're painting beyond the fourth wall at this point.

Still, I feel this is more of a "foreground cameo" than a full-blown "crossover", due to crossovers usually implying that it's the same character. Since it's not Tai's Agumon here, my feelings toward how I felt about an Agumon appearing in Appmon changed.

On a different note I get the feeling that this episode may have been worked on around the official 20th anniversary date.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a pretty fun episode. Yeah it was clearly fanservice, but it thankfully wasn't too heavy handed in it and it did use the way the Appmon world works to work in Agumon without him sticking out too much. On top of that, the fight with Globemon and Wargreymon was enjoyable to watch, and the touch of having Brave Heart playing throughout helped make it a memorable scene for the episode. All in all, it was pretty well handled as far as cameos go and a nice episode in its own right.

Also, I'm laughing at the fact that Eri's glasses failed her for once, sorry Eri, but the Clark Kent disguise can only get you so far.

decaboyz

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I noticed that the opening sequence has been modified to include the new Applidrive DUO and Ultimates new poses. Wargreymon's Gaia Force is so beautifully animated (Gaia for Gaiamon anybody?). Overall this is a great anniversary episode.

glitchgoat

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a really fun episode and the crossover/cameo element bothered me a lot less than I expected it to (because I'm a grump who was dreading Adventure fanservice for the sake of Adventure fanservice), but... man, Appmon's pacing issues are starting to test my patience a little bit. I have the weird half-problem where almost all of the filler is enjoyable on its own and generally creative, and all the characters are fun to spend time with every week, and it's almost always entertaining to watch, but it's kind of starting to get frustrating.

Eh, it's a kids show, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it.

In general, seemed to be a really enjoyable episode that I think I'd enjoy even more if it had come earlier in the season, instead of this close to the end.

clanc

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the episode is named after the epic clash between Agumon and Gatchmon that lasts 5 seconds​?!

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the episode is named after the epic clash between Agumon and Gatchmon that lasts 5 seconds​?!
In fairness, the episode is more about Agumon and Gatchmon's relationship than them actually duking it out.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not the first time it's happened. "The Clashing Ultimates - WarGreymon vs. MetalGarurumon" was more about Homeostasis' info dump than the clash of the title.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does this mean Cyber Sleuth really does take place in the same world as Cyber Sleuth?

-Agumon evolved to wargreymon and it legit played BRAVE HEART!!! I couldn't contain my fanboyism! It almost brought tears to my eyes... I miss wada koji ;_;.
1: I'd certainly hope so :p

2: We all do, but, Brave Heart is an Ayumi Miyazaki song.

I suppose there's hope for any future Appmon video games having Digimon in them, though? (Not sure the reverse is likely...)
I think Appmon could be quite easily integrated into future Digimon games, especially Digimon Story. The power levels are more or less in line with that of traditional Digimon aside from the Baby stages, so they'd be much easier to slot in than something like the the Frontier Spirits and even more so than the Xros Wars Digimon. But I guess that's a topic for a whole new thread XD;

--

Anyway. This episode was nice. The interactions between Agumon, Haru and Gatchmon were fun. The nods to Adventure like the mentions of Etemon and Vamdemon were neat, but the thing that really took me back was the artstyle of Agumon's game world being the same as the background art in Adventure. Brave Heart being used again, and the new evolution sequence for WarGreymon were really cool. I noticed that they've basically lifted WarGreymon's model straight from Cyber Sleuth, but it looks good anyway so that's fine. But I really liked the binary and grid effects being added to match the CG Appmon artstyle.

As far as a crossover goes, it wasn't quite as extravagant as what we got in Young Hunters, but then maybe it didn't need to be. Going full-out like that again might have felt repetitive. Seeing WarGreymon and Globemon going back-to-back badass and then fighting together was more than enough fanservice for me. I'd hoped that we'd see Digimon appearing at some point for the 20th Anniversary, but having them appear without forcing them into Appmon's narrative and final story arc was a wise choice.