AppliMonsters Episode 40: The Ultimate 4 Again! Cloud's Challenge!

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Men generally don't apply '-kun' to someone older than them, but especially not for a girl older than them, so Haru defaults to '-san'. If he was a more vulgar guy, he could call a girl older than him '-chan' and it gives off an air of hitting on them. Or if he was trying to be very familiar/casual or show he doesn't care/respect her, he wouldn't use an honorific suffix at all. (Sort of like how Rei would speak. In fact, I think Rei just calls everyone by their last names or 'you'.)

Jou uses 'kun' with the girls because they are all younger than him. Using 'san' would be too formal. Using 'chan' is okay, but it sounds 'cuter' and sort of like he has a crush on them if he used it with Mimi or Sora (or Hikari, Miyako or Meiko when they're all teenagers, but when they're MUCH younger, he could just use 'chan' for everyone, including the youngest boys like Takeru and Iori if he wanted).

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, it makes it sound like he's trying be 'closer' to her by using it. It's been a while since I've watched Frontier in Japanese, but IIRC the boys all stop using honorifics with eachother pretty quickly, showing how quickly they become friends. Only Tomoki keeps using "Takuya-niichan" for the whole series I think. Izumi uses '-kun' for Kouji IIRC, but doesn't use honorifics with the other boys.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow. 3 of them went down easy. Fakemon is weak but at least Beautymon was funny. Lord Karen Eri-sama is the shining star of the universe after all. She was going to win from the start. Beautymon got Dokkan Punched in both ways. And wow. Rei sure beat the **** out of Biomon. We all know Hackmon is Hajime. If not that, then an App we haven't seen before. Figure next ep will be all Globemon's fight.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For all his sadism, gloating and manic hollering of wanting to dissect patients without anesthesia, Rei and Hackmon just suddenly turned the (Operating) tables on Biomon, who ironically can't take the taste of his own medicine.

Which was, personally amusing to watch.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always nice to watch Revivemon in action, but damn was seeing 3/4's of the "Ultimate 4" go down in one ep disappointing.

At least saving Charismon for the next one seems to imply it'll be a big fight.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the enemy after Charismon would be Yuujin or the one that I remember as I type this: Sleepmon.
There also the chance of Deusmon appearing.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Part of me is hoping for the big reveal that Leviathan was the 'last remaining Digimon from another dimension known as Leviamon' and ended up infecting Minerva when it escaped to the Appmon dimension...

Mostly so Digimon and Appmon can exist normally in the same place for the future of the series in the games and such.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Literally since the beginning of the show I've been praying for Leviathan to actually be Leviamon, so if that really were the case I would die of happiness.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty good episode, though I'm disappointed that they wiped out most of the U4 so quickly. I understand it's supposed to show how strong the characters have come since their first bout, but I still feel they could've done that across three episodes with the villains still putting up a good fight then one episode where they get pretty much destroyed in quick order. Appmon has a really strange treatment of its villains...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Leviathan in the next episode, I also partially hope it is Leviamon since I wanted him to have a strong villainous debut for a long time now.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not gonna be Leviamon, for one we've seen Leviathan from the very start and it was not Leviamon, it was the same serpent it's been since the beginning who appeared in the preview.

Secondly Digimon simply do not exist in the Appli Monsters universe and all the ones we've seen have been part of a non-canonical crossover in the card game.

Just because both have "Levia" in their names does not mean they're one and the same. Just let this obsession go, it's not gonna be the end of the world if no Digimon appear in Appli Monsters

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Right, that's why I said "a part of me hopes that".

A more realistic option would be that it turns out that Leviathan is something that looks and acts like a Leviamon from Digimon, but slightly redesigned and keeping the name (Like Hackmon).

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What if his name is really misleading, and he's just a pair of walking talking Levi Jeans.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
10/10 Appmon for best season.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not gonna be Leviamon, for one we've seen Leviathan from the very start and it was not Leviamon, it was the same serpent it's been since the beginning who appeared in the preview.

Secondly Digimon simply do not exist in the Appli Monsters universe and all the ones we've seen have been part of a non-canonical crossover in the card game.

Just because both have "Levia" in their names does not mean they're one and the same. Just let this obsession go, it's not gonna be the end of the world if no Digimon appear in Appli Monsters
Of course is more like a wishful thinking than a realistic one, but at least I'd love if they somehow link the Appli Monsters-verse with the rest of the franchise (mentioning the existance of a parallel Universe where digital monsters similar to the Appmon inhabit, for instance). Even Xros Wars, which has been critized a lot for this exact reason, it's perfectly integrated in the null canon of Digimon, as you can see here; Appmon, however, is an isolated Universe in the Multiverse of Digimon, which is not good if we want to see some Appli Monsters in future Digimon games (I want my Offmon in a Digimon Story-like type of game :eek:).

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My headcanon wants to think that all of this bizarre things happening now in both seasons (the non-existence of Digimon in Appmon and how Taichi and co. seems not remember Daisuke and co.) as a result of Baguramon messing the timeline in 2011.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That would be a twist if Bagramon appeared in Appmons.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hajime was Leviathan's chosen one huh? So I wonder which Appmon he turned him into then, he had to have some kind of important significance if he was his chosen one. If it is Hackmon, then he's gonna have a pretty interesting backstory that ties into Leviathan.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to see a cross over between Digimon and Appmon seasons, maybe with the 20th anniversary coming up we shall see.

My favorite part of this episode was how Rei lost all fucks, and tortured Biomon.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can see Lord Bagra(mon) being indirectly involved since he and Millenniummon are the two villains that have the ability to alter the laws of the multiverse in this way (not counting Quartzmon since it was an extension of the former). That said, I feel that while the Quartzmon incident created the tinderbox conditions for what's happening now, it was King Drasil who actually lit the match.

That said the reason Fusion can integrated so well with the rest of the multiverse is because it's far less divorced from it than Appli Monsters. Remember that the DRB profile for Bagramon explicitly mentions Yggdrasil as the Server Tree. What's more Digi Fusion is an extension of how DNA Digivolution is handled outside of the virtual pets.

And while the Level/Attribute system was omitted and the design approach in Fusion was different from past series, being brazenly toyetic and emphasizing the Fusion mechanic, the designs were still intended to be Digimon whereas Appmon designs are meant to be a new lifeform altogether that is convergently analogous to Digimon.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Hajime is necessarily an appmon. Here is my theory. Leviathan found out about a mysterious appmon whose powers where necessary for him to accomplish his goals. Having Biomon by his side, he tried to manipulate the data of some random humans and appli monsters to actually produce that specific appmon. Thougth the only successful process was performed on Hajime, his data became unstable shortly after the surgery was done and he collapsed into an inactive state and became SLEEPMON. This made Leviathan search for Bootmon to reactivate Sleepmon to the desired appmon. If this is the case, the Sleepmon's reappearance after many episode in that white room where Rei first met Leviathan and Bootmon's AR field might be a reference to their cllose relationship and the role of Leviathan and Bootmon in the scenario.