AppliMonsters Episode 39: A New Power! Applidrive DUO!

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Universe AppliMonsters Episode 39: A New Power! Applidrive DUO!

Episode thread for Episode 39

Air Time:
Saturday 1st July - 9.30am (Japan)
Saturday 1st July - 1.00am (UK)
Friday 30th June - 8.30pm (EST)
Friday 30th June - 5.30pm (PST)

If you are not sure of your time then please use:
www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_JP.aspx

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before episode airs. You can discuss any 'next episode' previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

To join the chatroom to discuss the episode as it airs and after it airs with others either click the chat link at the top of WtW or use your irc program to join.

Server- irc.rizon.net
Room- #wtw

Update- Episode 39 is streaming freely at TV Tokyo's website for the time being at the time of this edit (9:04pm Pacific, 6/30/2017.)

Raw Japanese with no subtitles, as expected.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/appmon/streaming/

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, I was expecting the battle against the former enemies to show how stronger the Super forms are with the Appli Drive DUO, but they just go straight to Ultimate, and scare them into giving up, apparently. They DON'T die again, at least judging from a screenshot where Mienumon complains about losing again. We might see them again.

It seems like the ED is about Haru's birthday. That's, actually quite fitting considering how it's his birthday now.

Also, Cloud's challenge to the Appli Drivers is the "Ultimate Tour" (yes, really). They have to go through the Appmon Cemetery and all the Ultimate 4's strongholds in 60 minutes or Yūjin dies. Mienumon etc. are apparently the bosses of the Appmon Cemetery.

First is the Bi Royal Palace ("Royal Palace" being a pun on "first-aid"), then the Beauty Palace, then the Ikasa Mansion (ikasama = fraud), and finally the Charisma Castle.
Seems like the first battle is Rei VS Biomon. We'll learn what happened to Hajime soon. And judging from the preview, Biomon will attempt to operate on Rei.

Also, judging from screenshots with closed captions, it seems Haru says Mienumon was revived for being popular? Either that or something about her personality not being fixed.

clanc

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I missed that part before the opening, damnit! >_<
Salty complains:
  • THE FUKCING ANIMATION. I'd rather watch the entirety of the RK arc, Young Hunters and The Wasteland(TM) than seeing this dude animating again.
  • I don't really mind the overuse of CGI, acutally I think its quite innovative. But it bothers me when it skips frames like 99,8% of this episode.
    • As I side note, I hate the code in the CGI, it makes it look like they have some rendering error.
  • s t i l l f r a m e s
  • While it's nice to see Mienumon and the others back, its sad that we won't see them again for a while. I mean, c'mon! Mienumon and Sakushimon are the components of Warudamon, which with Cometmon (by the way where the duck is he?!) is the component of Deusmon, the strongest Appmon!
    • Still, You can't complain that at last we see Scopemon (AKA Cameramon) back! I mean, he is Satellamon, right? RIGHT?!
    • Speaking of Sukashimon. I WANT TO SEE DAMEDAMON BADLY
  • I think that Timemon back in that time during his time in Ep16 accidentaly broke time. That's the only way I can explain why does every minute in this season seems to last 1 full episode (*coughcoughEpisode37coughcough*)
  • Where did Beautymon go?!
Gushing:
  • I like the ending! It's WAAAAAAY better than the last one. Seriously, that was so cute bad that it affected the quality of the show.
  • It's nice to see those Appmon in the cementery because they're no longer used. I wish we could see more of 'em.
  • yay the ultimates no longer have the time limit! now they can wreck everyone's asses!
  • At last! We see Charismon brainwashing someone!
I liked this episode! HIS NAME IS HAL

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is the animation is really that bad? Wait are you talking about the cgi only or also the 2d?

I actually like the effect if used sparingly but they overuse it so much that the appmon look like they have skin condition.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added the TV-Tokyo link to the first post since it's up.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is the animation is really that bad? Wait are you talking about the cgi only or also the 2d?

I actually like the effect if used sparingly but they overuse it so much that the appmon look like they have skin condition.
I'd say it's bad, yeah. The lead artist for this episode is the same guy who did episodes, 23 and 32. And he's definitely not at the level the other lead artists are, or at the very least his art and animation looks to be very jittery and hastily drawn.(Especially when he draws Musimon and Haru, gosh) I hope someday soon they release the artists names who work on each episode because I really want to knw who this guy is.

As for the cgi... I love it lol But I can understand why some people wouldn't care for it

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watch it.
Yeah, Eri and Haru really suffers when drawn by the whoever animating it.

This episode is both hilarious awesome, the abandoned appmon pestering Haru to made them his partner and Gatchmon literally shoving them through the wall...
Why charismon hypnotized the other U4 in the first place?
Zombie no!
You know Scopemon, taking selfie is fine but you do realize you point the barrel of your big gun at yourself right?
Oujamon apprealize made him look like a beast.
And Globemon pulling Dragon ball and block again.
I love this episode.

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope someday soon they release the artists names who work on each episode because I really want to knw who this guy is.
Masahiro Naoi, if you really want to know. He's been around since Adventure, you can tell which episodes he did keys for from his distinctive style.

SoftMonKeychains

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Esh thanks goddess Offmon is okay. Unconscious in a polemic position but okay.
Sucks they are now sleepy beauty princess waiting to be rescued. Their lack of screentime lately is a sort of punishment for me. (Rei's fans, you can't tell me you don't know the feeling)
Although they will be up to 30 minutes left next episode and up to all Ultim4te's houses except Charismon so this drag won't last too long.

Yeaaaah that dumb animation style again ugh. Who's the idiot doodling that? If they are there since Adventure, sure they didn't get any better. Artists that don't seek self improvement through their lives are suckers.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just 4 houses? Be grateful it is not Saint Seiya... ;).

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad I'm not the only one reminded of Saint Seya. :D
Should Minerva or Ai(Minerva) reincarnation get kidnapped instead.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad I'm not the only one reminded of Saint Seya. :D
Should Minerva or Ai(Minerva) reincarnation get kidnapped instead.
I say this is a good theme for the second arc of Appmons. It probably also will turn out that Leviathan does not really exists, or rather that the whole time Mr. Satan disguised himself as Leviathan, and he is, in fact, Denemon's lost child and Haru's father ;).

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's some incosistent choices in this episode imo. For starters, something I really dislike about Appmon is that it seems that they have almost forgotten about the Super Buddy Appmon (that's why we won't probably see Logamon in the anime). I mean, for God's sakes, was it really necessary to Appliarise the Four Ultimate Appmon in order to defeat Mienumon and co.? They could have perfectly used their Super Appmon, and maybe use some kind of AppLink if necessary. Not to mention that now they have their DUOs, which means more power per se. As I told before, this is one point where Appmon has been really incosistent since they reached the Ultimate Level. I guess it's because of the toys and stuff, but c'mon that's lame as hell...

On the other hand, I really liked to see this 3 charismatic villains plus Sukasimon returning, but it's a wasted opportunity to feature 4 other Super Appmon we haven't seen in the show yet; for instance, the 4 Ultimate could have used some of their ADN with the help of Biomon, and send any of their components, that is, Sociamon or Gossipmon for Charismon, Coordemon or Consulmon for Beautymon, Roarmon or Effecmon for Fakemon and Docmon for Biomon (since Medicmon is a 7code Appmon). Or if they want to have an even fight with the 4 Ultimates of the protagonists, they could have been send Warudamon, Satellamon, Cometmon and Damedamon instead. As I told before, odd choices everywhere...

As for the plot itself, I'm really glad that Yujin and Offmon are fine, but I have a bad feeling about all this. Why in the world Leviathan haven't just killed them off like that? In order to use them as a decoy for the other AppliDrivers? I don't think so...I have the feeling that when they reach the highest part of the challenge, the 4 AppliDrivers (especially Hal), will find out an unpleasant revelation...

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's some incosistent choices in this episode imo. For starters, something I really dislike about Appmon is that it seems that they have almost forgotten about the Super Buddy Appmon (that's why we won't probably see Logamon in the anime). I mean, for God's sakes, was it really necessary to Appliarise the Four Ultimate Appmon in order to defeat Mienumon and co.? They could have perfectly used their Super Appmon, and maybe use some kind of AppLink if necessary. Not to mention that now they have their DUOs, which means more power per se. As I told before, this is one point where Appmon has been really incosistent since they reached the Ultimate Level. I guees it's because of the toys and stuff, but c'mon that's lame as hell...
I'm pretty sure most Digimon series will use the strongest possible forms in battle and Offmon was introduced late an thus doesn't have a lot of time to catch up. It's the out of universe reasoning for why Gatomon's defaults at her Champion stage rather than her Rookie stage of Salamon.

Dressmon or Consulmon for Beautymon
Beautymon is an App Fusion of Coordemon and Consulmon

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's some incosistent choices in this episode imo. For starters, something I really dislike about Appmon is that it seems that they have almost forgotten about the Super Buddy Appmon (that's why we won't probably see Logamon in the anime). I mean, for God's sakes, was it really necessary to Appliarise the Four Ultimate Appmon in order to defeat Mienumon and co.? They could have perfectly used their Super Appmon, and maybe use some kind of AppLink if necessary. Not to mention that now they have their DUOs, which means more power per se. As I told before, this is one point where Appmon has been really incosistent since they reached the Ultimate Level. I guess it's because of the toys and stuff, but c'mon that's lame as hell...

On the other hand, I really liked to see this 3 charismatic villains plus Sukasimon returning, but it's a wasted opportunity to feature 4 other Super Appmon we haven't seen in the show yet; for instance, the 4 Ultimate could have used some of their ADN with the help of Biomon, and send any of their components, that is, Sociamon or Gossipmon for Charismon, Coordemon or Consulmon for Beautymon, Roarmon or Effecmon for Fakemon and Docmon for Biomon (since Medicmon is a 7code Appmon). Or if they want to have an even fight with the 4 Ultimates of the protagonists, they could have been send Warudamon, Satellamon, Cometmon and Damedamon instead. As I told before, odd choices everywhere...

As for the plot itself, I'm really glad that Yujin and Offmon are fine, but I have a bad feeling about all this. Why in the world Leviathan haven't just killed them off like that? In order to use them as a decoy for the other AppliDrivers? I don't think so...I have the feeling that when they reach the highest part of the challenge, the 4 AppliDrivers (especially Hal), will find out an unpleasant revelation...
I say that is because they need to promote the Appmon chip and the figure somehow, digimon is still 24 minutes commercial after all.

Given even Cloud is confused why leviathan didn't just kill Yuujin, there is definitely more to him than meet the eyes.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First and foremost poor Jisho, Callmon, and Compassmon. I do hope G-SANtos' prediction about Jishomon and Callmon becoming Ai and Watson's respective Buddy Appmon ends up being true.

And before we get to the proverbial Four Heavenly Kings, we must first go though the four beautiful idiots. This quartet is wonderful especially Sukasimon since it is painfully clear that he does not belong here, a fact that Biomon, the other ghosts, and even he himself point out. The selfie and the Blasting Off joke at the end were cute.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thought this was a great episode. It's got a lot of silly parts, but it does all of its silliness and still manages to maintain a sense of forward progression with its plot and has some tense moments of action.

THIS is how you do silly episodes, Appmon. You can be silly and lighthearted without wasting your audience's time.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First thing, I don't really know why people say the animation in this episode was bad. For me it was still much better than let us say 10 episodes ago.

The episode was rather fine, but the only odd thing for me was that even though they have an hour to save Yuujin, they still can find some spare time to do some random and useless, self-motivating chit-chat.

Another thing that looks kinda weird is that the Ultimate Four (or at least Charismon) still refer Knight as Cloud. It is almost like the anime wants to tell us that Knight != Cloud (but we know this isn't the truth, unless there is something going on we are not aware of yet), or the Ultimate Four don't know that Cloud is Knight, but in the introduction episode they saw each other. This is specially weird, because it appears Knight really loves hearing his name being spoken by others, and yet it doesn't appear he likes hearing his Cloud name (but of course he also doesn't hate it). And another thing is that while as a Knight he is pretty sane and collected, as a Cloud he is outright insane. I wonder why.

Last edited:

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Split personality probably?