AppliMonsters Episode 38: Get Gatchmon Back! Grandpa Den'emon's Trial!

Vice

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was a bit disappointed as to how this episode started, especially with the ending of the last one. We all thought the Appmon were gone for good, and suddenly they're still alive, they just can't come to the real world. I did enjoy their reunions, and thought they were pretty funny.

Haru and co not knowing what a phone booth is clearly shows that these guys are from a totally different generation than the Adventure kids.

So Haru's grandfather pulled a Shibumi of sorts, his spirit exist in data form, except here one is actually dead. Leviathan attempting to murder people, Leviathan has no chill.

So Appmon weren't created from the data of phone/mobile apps like Digimon were created from the data of computers. Minerva created them, wondering if she created the Appmon as weapons to defeat Leviathan (that would be the case with the 7 Code Appmon anyway), I hope they go into the origins of the Appmon soon before the series ends. I wonder if it does come to that in the series, if they'll mention that Minerva possibly based the Appmon off of Digimon.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In fairness, we've been told since the beginning that the Applidrive is the thing that allows the kids to see and interact with Appmon in the first place. If it gets destroyed, it kind of makes sense that they just lose touch with them. I suppose the combination of losing the ability to see Appmon combined with the buddy Appmon taking enough damage that their chips dissipated and returned to the Net Ocean just caused the 'illusion' of death.

Still kinda lame payoff after the awesome cliffhanger ending from the last episode.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I totally agree with you. It could have been totally perfect, and it turned out to be kind of anti-climatic. Anyways, what I really don't get is, why some Appmon like Mienumon, Sakusimon or the Ultimate 4 would try to actively destroy their own creator?
Most likely they were seduced by Leviathan since we know that Leviathan rules the Deep Web and those Appmon are clearly loyal to it as we saw with Drawmon.

It's also entirely likely that the majority of Appmon are completely unaware that they were created by Minerva. Think how most Monsters in Monster Rancher are unaware that they are an artificial lifeform and more specifically a season two episode in which Knight Mocchi Troops led by Metal Jell attacked the Searchers at some ruins only to discover an underground monster manufacturing plant with Knight Mocchi in test tubes. This is a shock to both the Searchers and the Knight Mocchi Troops and causes confusion for the latter.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's also the possibility that Leviathan creates Appmon too. I mean, he IS a part of Minerva.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's also the possibility that Leviathan creates Appmon too. I mean, he IS a part of Minerva.
That's also possible since I had mentioned a page ago that one of the theories in Appli Monsters was that Leviathan was creating them through L-Corp.

ReiKatsura

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also I still think that mysterious AppliDriver we saw got his AppliDrive from Leviathan not from Minerva

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I... Just realize something. Minerva was contacted with Phone booth.
Leviathan has ton of old styled phone modeled after him.
Leviathan the apocalypmon for phone booth confirmed?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm surprised no one in this thread has brought attention to the fact that this is the first time we've heard Minerva speak, considering all the random theories about her being another character.

clanc

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Actually, we've heard both Minerva and Leviathan back in Episode 16.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm surprised no one in this thread has brought attention to the fact that this is the first time we've heard Minerva speak, considering all the random theories about her being another character.
I might look extremely stubborn but I will never ignore the possibility of Mienumon being Minerva herself or being very very close to her as a friend or foe. There is no reason to have a Minerva with a different name unless there is an explanation, something that wasn't provided till now. I might end up being completely wrong but I'm not giving it up yet. I don't know about other guesses, but I will defend my assumption unless the official media prove it wrong. Sorry but I'm really stubborn. Though she might be a copy made by Leviathan. L may love the mother app from dept of his/her heart.
And one more thing, the mystery of Monatana and the reason why Mienumon, Sakusimon, and Monatana's left eyes are like that has not been solved yet. They are different from the right ones and don't fit to the design. They are just different all three of them. I have mentioned it before and have not seen any good explanations. Some people just told me they don't think this is true. Here us the case: We have a girl whose name is about hiding. Minerva is a goddess and thus female. Minerva hid herself from Leviathan at the end of that attack. She is somewhere in the net occean hiding from Leviathan. Minerva is accompanied by an owl in the myth. Sakushimon is an owl. The first important character in whole digimon series whose design is based on the owl. Leviathan emergened from Minerva's left eye in flash back. Sakushimon's left eye is like a hawk's and looks less innocent from it's right one. Mienumon's left eye is covered by her hairs most of the time, and it is not a normal eye at all. Monatana's left eye is white in the center as if it's blind. Just why? Because these are related to Minerva as her true forms, secret agents, or copies made by Leviathan. I can't think of any other possibility even now that she has talked to them.

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

I honestly think you're looking too much into this and need to back away and take a deep breath. For one, it's Montana-chan and Sakusimon. Secondly, Montana-chan's left is just the colors swapped from the right one while Sakusimon is based on Zhuge Liang and wearing a stylized mask.

Lastly, Minerva being Mienumon simply does not make sense since it doesn't line up with anything Mienumon does in the series up to and including sabotaging the OS of another company just because said company is a rival of L-Corp. It'd be like Marcus working for Kurata, not gonna happen.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sakushimon is an owl? Anyway, I've also seen other theories about Minerva somehow being Ai or even Haru.

@clanc: I didn't count that because it was before the AppliDrivers and their friends got involved.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sukasimon is probably around so they can give each of the kids their own enemy: Haru versus Scopemon, Eri versus Mienumon, Rei versus Sakushimon and Astra versus Sukasimon.
Actually, I think it's Haru VS. Sukasimon, Eri VS. Mienumon, Astra VS. Sakusimon, and Rei VS. Scorpmon.

This way, everyone fights against the Appmon that might become the Buddy of the human each character is paired with. Eri and Ai (the two girls), Astra and Watson (nickname taken from their names), and Rei and Hajime (siblings).
And Haru fights Sakusimon because his pair, Yūjin, is an already an Appli Driver, so there's no one else to become an Appli Driver. And let's be honest, who could honestly become Sukasimon's Buddy? The Caught-Up Old Man? Hahahahahahaha!
... ... ... Huh, actually, that would make a lot of sense.

Or maybe, since Astra and Watson have yet to interact, and Watson is Haru's friend, then maybe Haru can fight Sakusimon, and Astra gets Sukasimon because, honestly, there's no one connected to him that seems like a candidate for an Appli Driver, and he's clearly the least important of all the main characters, as there's no App Tube plotline so far.

And by the way, Knight is his own pair because he has an alter ego, Cloud.

Actually, we've heard both Minerva and Leviathan back in Episode 16.
Yes, and she's voiced by Mai Fuchigami, Ai's VA. Don't believe me? See the credits for episode 16.
Fuchigami is listed in the credits, but no role is specified. Ai is not the episode and there's literally no speaking extras in this episode (I actually rewatched once to check this). The only roles Fuchigami could have possibly played are Minerva and Leviathan, and I don't think she voices Leviathan.

This is all very interesting specially since Mienumon's design implies a connection to Minerva, and Mienumon is also very similar to Ai, going as far as having pretty much the same hairstyle.

By the way, I don't think Mienumon is Minerva, or Ai is Minerva, or Ai is Mienumon. I think Mienumon is somehow connectec to Minerva, but not consciously working as a double agent. I think her connection is something similar to whatever Yūjin has to Leviathan.
And I also believe Mienumon will eventually become Ai's Buddy, specially since there seems to be a pattern of the Super forms having something in their desing that references their Buddy. Yes, even Dosukomon. The white lines on his chest go exactly where Eri's jacket overlaps her shirt.

Sakushimon is an owl?
Yes. His hands, for example, look just like a bird's feet. And his mask looks like wings, and the part that covers his nose looks a bird's beak.

I'm not sure they would use faux symbolism considering they went so far as to have lifeforms created by an incorporeal being literally named after a god.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Ai turned out to be minerva and Haru got a crush on her... Remember that Minerva is basically Denemon daughter...
GREEK GODS!

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
OK, the answers to my questions seem quite reasonable to me now. Maybe I should not expect to see such a relationship in the anime, but I will wait till the end of the series lol. Minerva can simply be Minerva and there are other characters like Ai and Yuujin's mom whose true identities and motivations are yet to be shown. Mienumon being 'subconsciously' another one's is a really interesting idea. Though I'm still shocked by a post about the pair of siccors embedded in the Minerva's logo. So there might be more such agents each working for one of these two opposing forces.

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Mienumon is somehow connected to Minerva, but not consciously working as a double agent. I think her connection is something similar to whatever Yūjin has to Leviathan.
I'm more inclined to believe this though unlike Yujin, Mienumon has displayed no hints of being anything more than a petty underling that was place in charge for a time. Plus given Coachmon's earlier defection, underlings don't necessarily need to have a connection to Minerva to change sides.
And I also believe Mienumon will eventually become Ai's Buddy, specially since there seems to be a pattern of the Super forms having something in their design that references their Buddy. Yes, even Dosukomon. The white lines on his chest go exactly where Eri's jacket overlaps her shirt.
Yujin complicates things though since not only does Offmon skip to Shutmon but I'm not sure how Logomon's design reflects him.
I'm not sure they would use faux symbolism considering they went so far as to have lifeforms created by an incorporeal being literally named after a god.
Doesn't Digimon regularly use symbolism just because it looks cool though? We have Greek, Roman, and Judaic references going on simultaneously in Appmon.

Digimon'sDigitalWill

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The developments in this episode are good and well-done. The questions coming into play is wonderful. Although, it seems like Leviathan has plans for Yuujin. It is nice to see Denni'mon and Minerva being out of the background. What Leviathan did though was quite drastic, outright killing a patient. Denni'mon digitizing oneself is great and Ai''s house mystery is intriguing.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Japan uses symbolism just because it looks cool. Evangelion in a nutshell. It's pretty much not even a joke anymore. Though if Ai got Mienumon? ...That would be interesting. Still joking that Watson is not useful for anything. heh heh

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yujin complicates things though since not only does Offmon skip to Shutmon but I'm not sure how Logomon's design reflects him.
T U R T L E N E C K
Both Yūjin and Shutmon wear turtlenecked clothes. Yūjin deviates a bit from the pattern by resembling his Ultimate Buddy, but he still follows the pattern of resembling one of his Partner's forms.

Doesn't Digimon regularly use symbolism just because it looks cool though? We have Greek, Roman, and Judaic references going on simultaneously in Appmon.
Japan uses symbolism just because it looks cool. Evangelion in a nutshell. It's pretty much not even a joke anymore. Though if Ai got Mienumon? ...That would be interesting. Still joking that Watson is not useful for anything. heh heh
Yeah, but, I'm having trouble believing they would design characters with the same symbolism if they are not connected unless it's a series motif. Usually, when two or more characters have the same symbolism, they are connected somehow.