AppliMonsters Episode 38: Get Gatchmon Back! Grandpa Den'emon's Trial!

AppliFang

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like how that phone/teleporter scene was similar to cyber sleuth

I thought Ai was gonna go with them...heres to hoping they can now stay in their third forms without a time limit

ReiKatsura

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like how that phone/teleporter scene was similar to cyber sleuth

I thought Ai was gonna go with them...heres to hoping they can now stay in their third forms without a time limit
Shutmon didn't have a time limit so I think it ended with the destroying of the old applidrives.

This episode was cool but it was also a little bit rushed. But what the hell happened to Rei? He really was a part of the group and interacted with them more than he did before! That moment Hackmon didn't remember him was quite funny and cute (we learn Hackmon is just that quiet because of Rei). Also funny parts yay^-^

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What the hell is that a screenshot of?
If you're referring to the screenshot w Mario it's from Evoland II, haha.

I personally liked the ep a lot..probably part bias but I'm just really glad Rei finally joins the team! I love character interactions and it's great to finally see them with him because of how long it took..and also I'm a sucker for those cold/aloof characters opening up.
I agree the amnesia thing got resolved pretty suddenly, but I think based on what the ep is trying to focus on (the humans' growth) it makes more sense to put less focus on that part, compared to tri which was about reforging the bonds between the partners.

I kinda still want to believe in the theory? that Shutmon was sent by Minerva to off Yuujin. So while Minerva is the 'good' AI, it still is only focusing on getting rid of Leviathan and it's up to the kids to show that humans are still necessary or something something. The use of mythological names makes it feel to me like a battle between two gods that the humans unfortunately get caught up in (like a Persona 2 kind of scenario? it'd be kinda cool if that happens)

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The sub is out and they transalated be my light lyric yay.
I can't believe I miss Astra and Haru calling Denemon Hyper Mari-
The appmon didn't die, it just that their link is broken because the appli drive is destroyed.
Denemon actually try to stop Leviathan but he caught on and the murder attempt begin.
Minerva is confirmed to be the one who created Appmon.
Denemon finally fall to illness and leviathan finish him off by cutting his life support of course he back up his data as Hyper Mari- I love how Denemon actually enjoy being a digital lifeform and that he doesn't have to deal with sickness or aging.
Cloud wondering why Leviathan didn't just kill Yuujin when he didn't have any useful information on Bootmon.

The best line in the entire series:
Denemon: "You can't reach Minerva with the seven code band, you need to use the phone booth in the mountain over thwre to contact her."
Astra: "What a phone booth?"
Haru: "I don't know, we find out when we get there."

Last edited:

AppliFang

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rei should have recorded how Hackmon acted and show him

Find it quite funny how Musimon acted just like Astra's non Apptuber self

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That moment Hackmon didn't remember him was quite funny and cute (we learn Hackmon is just that quiet because of Rei).
All of the Appmon had different personalities which was presumably the point. Their old personas were formed by their bonds through the Applidrives so when the Applidrives were destroyed, the Appmon were affectively rebooted with new, seemingly factory set personalities.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Some thoughts about this episode. To be honest, I was expecting quite much, especially after the two last episodes, which were, by far, the bests in the entire season. However, I'm not saying that the episode was bad at all; in fact, we got to know a bit more about how the Appmon universe works, Denemon's background and Rei's characterization thanks to it.

Talking about which, for some reason I really feel that Rei is one of the lonest wolves, even when interacting with others, I still feel that he's not perfectly involved with the group itself. Also, I really like the idea of Denemon being like an hologram?, after being purposely killed by Leviathan, this gives the series a darker tone, and really depicts what are the ultimate consequences of being screwing around with such dangerous places like the Dark Web. Good for that.

In that same regard, after the "appearance" of Minerva itself, I'm kinda disappointed that we won't probably see a struggle between Minerva and Leviathan a la Minervamon vs Leviamon, for instance, since they seem to be more like omnipotent and semi-incorporeal entities a la Homeostasis (Hope I'm wrong).

Apart from that minor aspects, the only thing that really annoyed me a lot is that I would like to get more than two minutes into the daily lives of the protagonists, before knowing that their buddies were still alive, something like the episode where Tai comes back to Tokyo, and doesn't know if he will ever see their mates again, or analogously, the episode where we see an introspection on the character of Takuya in the form of Flamon. That was really necessary in my opinion, and there's some wasted potential there (while I understand there's not much room left in the series at this point of the story).

Anyways, my final score for the episode is 7'5/10.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Leviathan do have physical form, THE TENTACLE!!! but I doubt we're going to see L vs M fight, Leviathan basically use the double exp cheat and grow so much more than Minerva and even before that their confrontation ended up with Minerva half dead and barely escaping to the net world.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Minerva can apparently become the giant icebeast from Frozen, so I think she's still got some fight in her. Though I personally would also prefer to see Leviathan and Minerva get proper 'mon' forms.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Aren't that just monster she created?
We definitely going to see one if the L App icon in episode 37 is anything to go by.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And speaking of which this episode confirms what I had suspected from the beginning, Appmon are a created life form rather than something that occurs naturally like Digimon outside of the Tamer-verse. This makes the second parallel they have with Monsters from Monster Rancher which were created by a god in the games and by an ancient civilization through genetic engineering in the anime that I noticed.

The first being the fact that both life forms are stored as information on a piece of physical media, discs for Monsters do to the rise of disc technology that occurred during the 80s and 90s and chips for Appmon presumably in reference to NFC tags used in toys-to-life figures such as Amiibo, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty sure the Chips are supposed to just represent App Icons due to their highly-recognizable shapes.

I also think that's an interesting parallel that Applimonsters has to Tamers. But we've kinda known about it since episode 9...

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty sure the Chips are supposed to just represent App Icons due to their highly-recognizable shapes.
These aren't mutually exclusive ideas though since while the Chips are clearly modeled after application icons, the fact that the Chips themselves are physical coupled with the way they're used with the Applidrive is more in line with NFC tags.

I also think that's an interesting parallel that Applimonsters has to Tamers. But we've kinda known about it since episode 9...
It was more implied in episode 9 though and it also left what actually created​ them vague with the implication was that it was either humanity who indirectly created the Appmon through the mobile applications or Leviathan itself directly creating them through L-Corp. This episode however outright states that it was Minerva who created them though the exact origin and reasons for doing so are still unknown.

Last edited:

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...the fact that the Chips themselves are physical coupled with the way they're used with the Applidrive is more in line with NFC tags.
Side stepping from the discussion, I find it slightly weird that the "toy" chips aren't NFC-based. Not a complaint, but it would have made sense.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, but then they'd have been notably more expensive to make than just 'piece of plastic with a sticker on it'.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked this episode. Good plot, good set up for next week, and a good insert song what was that?

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I assume that it was a cost issue both for the Chips themselves and the Applidrive itself since it would need an NFC reader.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With a little Googling, it seems the reader can be a little expensive, but, if bought in enough bulk, it seems the NFC tags can be had for pennies each.

I do wonder how it compares (performance and cost) to the technology in the Drives.

Back on topic, it was a bit of a bizarre episode. I was hoping that the "deaths" weren't going to be 100% resolved this episode. It was OK, but could have been loads better.