AppliMonsters Episode 37: Attack! The Ultimate Appmon - Ultimate 4!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think we've had mass partner death before. That's exciting! I guess Appmon had a lot of bullshit to make up for, so it makes sense to pull out something like this. Without getting into any of the conspiracy theories... I know they were going to kill the AppliDrivers anyway, but it was kind of dumb of the Ultimate Four to hand the AppliDrives (or at least Haru's) back to the humans first. That'll come back to bite them in the ass.

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And, in case their buddy appmons lost their memories, the only solution will be the creation of a stronger bond between them.
Now that you mentioned it.... the evolution to God grades in appmon DCD is called BOND awakening...maybe their buddies experiencing Tri syndrome will lead to even stronger bond and then they'll actually use this instead of gattai with the U4 to reach god grade?

Last edited:

SoftMonKeychains

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow that was one intense episode or what.
Well I knew before what was going to happen from the spoiler episode summaries but did ever the previous digimon seasons topped by overkill several main characters' partners in one shot like that? Nope, never happened this extreme. All Appmon haters shall shut their salty mouths up.

I didn't expect to see Yuujin and Offmon again this soon, I thought they were meant to be forgotten for at least one more episode as again, according spoiler summaries, it was revealed where they would be. But guess it ended up pretty differently.

I know everyone is pretty suspicious of Yuujin and yeah that's pretty understandable. He've might pulled a hero sacrifice here (wait sorry Shutmon did the work so credit for him) but there's a lot of room of being wary right now because of that ending.

And now according the spoilers Yuujin and Shutmon are going to be in a rather creepy place (so won't be overkilled at least for now) which is pretty......open for any sort of assumptions.

If restarting their bonds all over again may be the way to reach the God stage (honestly too soon to even think of that, you know that takes to get the Ultim4te defeated and siding them, which hum please not so soon, they are being so amusing, don't render them into fuel yet and they need to find Bootmon) I don't know how that will apply on Yuujin. Shutmon has his own issues that counters Yuujin's so some upcoming major conflict between them may happen before any further evolution can happen for them.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow that was one intense episode or what.
Well I knew before what was going to happen from the spoiler episode summaries but did ever the previous digimon seasons topped by overkill several main characters' partners in one shot like that? Nope, never happened this extreme. All Appmon haters shall shut their salty mouths up.
The closest I can think of is Duskmon, which by the way resembles a lot of Charismon, in Digimon Frontier, and the Royal Knights from both Frontier and Savers.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Apocalymon kills all of the heroes at once way back in Season 1. They get better because they've grown up over the course of the whole season (and the emotional powers they represent apparently allow them a one-time reconstitution from the Singular Zone?), or it could just be deus ex machina.

Either way, I think Appmon allowing the sacrifice to carry over to the next episode and giving the kids a chance to grieve is a much better way of handling the concept for maximum drama.

Whatever Yuujin's fate ends up being, I gotta say that I'm psyched for it now!

Something amusing that came up in chat:
All of the Applidrivers have names that transliterate to English names:
Haru=Hal
Rei = Ray
Eri = Ellie
Yuujin = Eugene
Asuka Torajirou = Astra (amusing that the foreign kid actually has the most Japanese name)
Naito = Knight
Ai?
Watson?

It's so frustrating that Appmon isn't getting a proper dub because it would be the first time that a dub wouldn't have to make up stupid English names.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We've had characters whose names were changed when the names weren't Japanese to began with too you know. Like Dingo to Derek, Wallace to Willis, and Chichos to Rosa.

Plus, it's not the dubbing company that changes the names in the first place anyway, that's typically done by Toei or Bandai of Japan.

Last edited:

Vice

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think we've had mass partner death before. That's exciting! I guess Appmon had a lot of bullshit to make up for, so it makes sense to pull out something like this. Without getting into any of the conspiracy theories... I know they were going to kill the AppliDrivers anyway, but it was kind of dumb of the Ultimate Four to hand the AppliDrives (or at least Haru's) back to the humans first. That'll come back to bite them in the ass.

Their was the ending of Xros Wars: Boy Hunters, where everyone except Tagiru and Arresterdramon and the main heroes from past series were killed by Quartzmon. Well they became a part of him, and were still alive within him, but I guess that sort of counts as being dead and having mass partners and characters all killed at once. Also like Jay mentioned, all of the Digidestined and their partners from season 1 were digitized by Apocalymon, but I know what you mean rather exciting and sad at the same time. I thought they would smash the AppliDrives to pieces, made no sense for them to keep them or have them handed back, but I'm sure they'll use this as a way to introduce the AppliDrive DUO, either Denemon will upgrade the old ones, or they'll just magically transform into something new (a la Savers).

Apocalymon kills all of the heroes at once way back in Season 1. They get better because they've grown up over the course of the whole season (and the emotional powers they represent apparently allow them a one-time reconstitution from the Singular Zone?), or it could just be deus ex machina.

Either way, I think Appmon allowing the sacrifice to carry over to the next episode and giving the kids a chance to grieve is a much better way of handling the concept for maximum drama.

Whatever Yuujin's fate ends up being, I gotta say that I'm psyched for it now!

Something amusing that came up in chat:
All of the Applidrivers have names that transliterate to English names:
Haru=Hal
Rei = Ray
Eri = Ellie
Yuujin = Eugene
Asuka Torajirou = Astra (amusing that the foreign kid actually has the most Japanese name)
Naito = Knight
Ai?
Watson?

It's so frustrating that Appmon isn't getting a proper dub because it would be the first time that a dub wouldn't have to make up stupid English names.

Hal for Haru? The name Hal reminds me of the dad from Malcolm in the Middle, I'd bet they would go with something like Harold if they changed it. For Eri, I think they would go with Erin, I'd cringe though if they added an extra letter and call her something like Karen or Carrie, and Naito my guess would probably be called Nathan (This is all joking of course). Since Astra is his madeup name anyway, the dub could just call him Astro, and he'll say something corny in the dub like "I'm the star of AppTube, so just call me Astro." idk. Hmm Watson? Maybe Walters LOL!

Well with the way Tri is going who knows how this might be dubbed, but then again different audience, different standards, etc.

We've had characters whose names were changed when the names weren't Japanese to began with too you know. Like Dingo to Derek, Wallace to Willis, and Chichos to Rosa.

Plus, it's not the dubbing company that changes the names in the first place anyway, that's typically done by Toei or Bandai of Japan.

Chichos in Spanish means love handles, and in Mexican slang it sounds like chichi's which are the breast of a woman, so I'm not suprised her name was changed to Rosa. I haven't watched the 02 dub in Spanish in years, don't remember if she was called Rosa there too, they typically went with the American name changes.

Last edited:

SoftMonKeychains

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Ok fine, I will rephrase that.
I meant "the massive death that was actually sad and emotional"

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't really count apocalypmon deleting the adventure cast as death as it was mentioner the cast is still in the process of being deleted (in whatever dimension they were in) before reviving themselves.

By the way, everyone talking about the cast mon losing memory, which part actually impy that?

Vice

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't really count apocalypmon deleting the adventure cast as death as it was mentioner the cast is still in the process of being deleted (in whatever dimension they were in) before reviving themselves.

By the way, everyone talking about the cast mon losing memory, which part actually impy that?
It's mostly the next episode preview that implys that the buddy Appmon have lost their memories. There's a brief scene where Eri is talking to Dokamon and Dokamon just turns around and ignores her, and Haru looks worried or sad about something when he meets Gatchmon, like maybe he isn't the same anymore. It's hard to say what's really going to happen however, we'll just have to wait and see.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Chichos in Spanish means love handles, and in Mexican slang it sounds like chichi's which are the breast of a woman, so I'm not suprised her name was changed to Rosa. I haven't watched the 02 dub in Spanish in years, don't remember if she was called Rosa there too, they typically went with the American name changes.
As I understand it her name in Spanish dubs is Guadalupe.

Ok fine, I will rephrase that.
I meant "the massive death that was actually sad and emotional"
You should probably be more tactful with how you say that since for Adventure fans, that was sad and emotional.

Last edited:

clanc

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait,are you talking about to Latin American or European dub?

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Latin American since someone on tumblr went on a large tangent on it: here

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok fine, I will rephrase that.I meant "the massive death that was actually sad and emotional"
You should probably be more tactful with how you say that since for Adventure fans, that was sad and emotional.
Yeah, I didn't mean that it wasn't sad and emotional at all, but I was kinda implying that Appmon is doing the whole 'mass deletion' thing better than Season 1 did it. Tri did the reboot thing, which is SIMILAR to the mass deletion we see in Appmon, but it's never framed as if the Digimon partners in Tri are completely -dead-, just that they had their histories and selves erased from their minds. It is a subtle but important difference. ...Since neither Appmon nor Tri is finished yet, it is hard to say which has used the idea better. But Season 1 certainly didn't put a lot of weight on the idea that our heroes would ever be -gone- in any meaningful way. Tri uses a slightly less gory version of death to make it a real possibility that the Digimon characters we love aren't ever really coming back as themselves. And Appmon, at the very least, gives a cliffhanger in the proper place for a change, so there's some time for the shock of the deletion to sink in, even if we know they aren't REALLY going to be Dead For Real.

Last edited:

AppliFang

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like always I didn't see the episode and won't see it until tomorrow (so Jay, don't bite me if I'm wrong!), and I'm posting in this topic only to mark it as an important topic to pay attentuon too.
Hey, I didn't mean to make you feel like I was attacking you. I know that people are watching without subs or extensive knowledge of Japanese. That's okay! I just wanted to fix an assumption you'd made about the episode that had confused you and caused you to dislike something about an otherwise great episode. And make sure that it was clear to others who were watching under the same conditions as you. I was trying to be helpful, not make you feel 'wrong'.
Don't worry, Jay! :) It was a mere innocent joke, I'm not that kind of people that hold grudges or something. I'm watching Digimon to entertain myself and I'm probably one of the very few people that like all of Digimon seasons, including Young Hunters, Tri and Frontier. I enjoy Appmons as well, otherwise I wouldn't post various theories about its plot and characters. So, no reason to feel guilty or something! :)
Im also one of those people who like all the seasons!

This episode was quite intense...i mean they were beat up throughout the whole episode and then bam digitized

Wanted to see more of Fakemon's and Biomon's fight

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The sub is out and my impression of the U4 become stronger.
Charismon is a fanatic who believe all he do is for the betterment of the world.
Beautymon is a narcissism.
Fakemon is even more hilarious.
Biomon is batshit insane:
"Where the patient!?"
"Let me operate!"
"I want to operate!"
"So you are the patient!?" *Cut Revivemon open*
"That operation is the one I enjoy the most" *wiggling tentacle when talking about hajime.*
L-Code is actually just awakening their potential rather than power up.
The preview confirmed the Appmon being alive (possibly without memory), yeah they're going tri here.

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn. A Leomon always dies. Even when Toei has two Digimon seasons running at the same time, both Leomon still die. Tri's Leomon was killed by Meicrackmon and Appmon's Leomon (Oujamon) was defeated by Beautymon then was killed as Dokamon.

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn. A Leomon always dies. Even when Toei has two Digimon seasons running at the same time, both Leomon still die. Tri's Leomon was killed by Meicrackmon and Appmon's Leomon (Oujamon) was defeated by Beautymon then was killed as Dokamon.
Better rephrase it as "A Lion always dies" ?
Since this way, Oujamon fits better, also Kouichi/Loewemon and Apollomon.

Also, one thing i noted, ever since Frontier, there were always 2 lions that got killed. Wonder if Appmon and Tri will kill second lion too.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jeeeeeeze! That sure escalated quickly. I'm definitely now more convinced than ever that Hackmon is Hajime though. The next episode looks quite interesting, I'm hoping we get some kind of explanation for how mortality goes in the Appmon universe.