AppliMonsters Episode 31: Let's take Everyone Along on a Trip

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, the episode was pretty good for Appmon. What I thought was funny about the characters' reactions (or lack thereof) was the way Tripmon kept popping out of Eri's phone and talking to her, and neither she nor any of the other AppliDrivers took any notice. I liked Tripmon, by the way. We'll probably never see him again, but his personality was interesting while it lasted. And despite only being an infected Appmon, he tried to use one of his attacks, so that was cool.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked how Tripmon looked exactly like Snufkin from Moomins.

Tero

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed Tripmon looks like Snufkin. Japanese loves Moomins so it was obviously intended.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not gonna hold my breath, but if Appmon can keep up the pace from here on out, it might salvage the series. (I'm still really bitter about the last 4 episodes being a huge rambling diversion from the main plot...)

I did like Astra's background reactions to everything. It was nice seeing Oujyamon and Entermon doing things. I wonder if that'll ever happen again. Maybe if Eri and Astra get DUOs it'll nix that pesky time limit and then their Kiwami partners will get more screen time?

Eri buying into all the occult stuff was hilarious and in-character for her.

Rei might well have been invited. But you all know that even if he was, he wouldn't have come.
Also, does Haru's group even know that Rei's back in the Real World? The audience didn't even know until two episodes ago.

I think a bigger surprise was that Ai wasn't invited. Eri totally seems like the type that would want another girl around.

Overall, the episode was good for Offmon and Yuujin character development, and for actually showing something resembling plot advancement since Satellamon showed up. The humor was cute. If they hadn't spent the last two episodes wasting my time, I would be a lot more hopeful about this episode's quality and how it fits into the plot as a whole.

Kazuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall the episode was fine and I liked the way they handled Offmon's story and plot. My only complain would be how badly and forced they made the situation to justify Offmon evolving to Shutmon:

Like, they know Tripmon is a Super and they also know that Ultimates have a strict time-limit, which has been a stated reason not to use them in previous episodes. Yet here they don't think it twice before throwing all three of them against Tripmon. Sure, they didn't know that Satellamon was there but still, going for an overkill was unnecesary and just done so that none of them could fight later. It would have been better if they just made Satellamon stall for the 60 seconds on its own, something that I think it should have been able to. The whole "make Tripmon waste their time" plan only worked because they were reckless enough to use the Ultimates in the first place, when they could have resort to Supers

And yeah, I know this is a kids show and all that, but it baffles me how can they show both good (Offmon) and bad (Ultimates) writing in the span of twenty minutes

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I definitely suspect this is a Damemon/Tsuwamon situation where Offmon's natural form is actually Shutmon. I rather enjoyed all the character interactions in this one too, one thing I like about Appmon is how you actually get to see the Appmon interact with humans other than their partners.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not gonna hold my breath, but if Appmon can keep up the pace from here on out, it might salvage the series. (I'm still really bitter about the last 4 episodes being a huge rambling diversion from the main plot...)

I did like Astra's background reactions to everything. It was nice seeing Oujyamon and Entermon doing things. I wonder if that'll ever happen again. Maybe if Eri and Astra get DUOs it'll nix that pesky time limit and then their Kiwami partners will get more screen time?

Eri buying into all the occult stuff was hilarious and in-character for her.

Rei might well have been invited. But you all know that even if he was, he wouldn't have come.
Also, does Haru's group even know that Rei's back in the Real World? The audience didn't even know until two episodes ago.

I think a bigger surprise was that Ai wasn't invited. Eri totally seems like the type that would want another girl around.

Overall, the episode was good for Offmon and Yuujin character development, and for actually showing something resembling plot advancement since Satellamon showed up. The humor was cute. If they hadn't spent the last two episodes wasting my time, I would be a lot more hopeful about this episode's quality and how it fits into the plot as a whole.
It still won't salvage the series much, the chance is maximum 50% of the whole series. Like I said, they already forgot to build up the concepts more solid and keep digging holes without filling it. Offmon is actually a new arc and new focus for the whole series, but hey, we still have Hajime's mystery, Den'eimon's whereabouts, Yuujin's mind controlling, and Naito with Ultimate 4, how about Warudamon and Cometmon? And we haven't even see their God forms, will take much time for that. Not to mention we still haven't known anything about Minerva's true appearance, it's still subtle until now. Oh yeah I also forget that they haven't even gone back to deep web to observe more about it, we still don't know the dark web, which is the deepest layer which is always been presented every episode before opening. We still don't know much about L corp itself, the relation between appliyama 470, and the effect of L OS. And one of the most important thing, we still don't know who the hell this Leviathan is. All we know it's just bad super AI as last boss, the appearance is still subtle.

Oh yeah, we also didn't get enough character deepening sections, like how's their family, etc. All is just subtle, I want to see Eri's mother for just a moment, to see how exactly the family situation is, but no, it seems they don't care of it.

About Rei, I don't mind if Eri doesn't invite him eventually, but it should be more better if she at least remember him by saying "oh yeah how about I also invite that hoodie guy? uhh it seems it's useless bcos I don't know where he is now." Did she even forget that Rei is the one that rescued Dokamon and Musimon from Warudamon? Oh c'mon, she's just not thankful at all. Even 02 has better character treatment for Ken for being thankful and didn't forget what the chosen children do.

Last edited:

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you have any prove of Eri not inviting Rei at all? She could easily invite him offscreen and he's just not responding.
Rei save Dokamon and Musimon? She also save him from Sakusimon and yet Rei is still a jackass to them.
"Are you sure he's one of us?" Astra episode 25.
The only one Rei act civilly is Haru and Haru is the only one who think Rei is one of them, it's like the only reason Astra and Eri hang out together is because of Haru before the Tellermon episode where they stop hating each other guts.
And the moment you namedropped Ken the moment your argument fall apart.
What would you mostly likely invite to vacation?
Someone who has try to kill you but genuinely remorseful and seeking forgiveness from you and genuinely want to be your friend.
Or
Someone who has try to kill you, like to insult you and do not care about your well being as long as he accomplish his goal and the only reason he saved you is because your goal and his collide.

Last edited:

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you have any prove of Eri not inviting Rei at all? She could easily invite him offscreen and he's just not responding.
Rei save Dokamon and Musimon? She also save him from Sakusimon and yet Rei is still a jackass to them.
The only one Rei act civilly is Haru and Haru is the only one who think Rei is one of them, it's like the only reason Astra and Eri hang out together is because of Haru before the Tellermon episode where they stop hating each other guts.
Someone who has try to kill you but genuinely remorseful and seeking forgiveness from you and genuinely want to be your friend.
Or
Someone who has try to kill you, like to insult you and do not care about your well being as long as he accomplish his goal and the only reason he saved you is because your goal and his collide.
I don't care if she's doing it offscreen, it's just your assumption. The watchers should know what's she thinking even though she's not saying it. If Yuujin which had been just being an appdriver can be invited by her without having much relationship, why not Rei too? I remember who she invited was described as "those who struggle together to beat Leviathan." All Rei is gonna do is save Hajime and beat Leviathan bcos of that.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did you miss the part where they don't know that Rei is even in the real world? The audience only knows because we saw him spying on Haru and Yuujin.

Also, I feel a bit bad for being so harsh on this episode. I just realized that this is a hot springs episode in an anime that isn't complete and utter garbage. Rising so far above that very low bar is certainly worth mentioning! I was dreading it bad when I saw the preview, but it ended up just being kind of a low-key element in the episode.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Or
I don't care if she's doing it offscreen, it's just your assumption. The watchers should know what's she thinking even though she's not saying it. If Yuujin which had been just being an appdriver can be invited by her without having much relationship, why not Rei too? I remember who she invited was described as "those who struggle together to beat Leviathan." All Rei is gonna do is save Hajime and beat Leviathan bcos of that.
Once again I say. Do they even know where Rei is? Where do you want her to sent them? Empty Mailbox?
"Struggled against Leviathan Together?" Yuujin has spend far more time on-screen with Eri the moment he get his Appli drivers than Rei ever was.
Again. Would you invite a pleasant and nice guy to a party or a unpleasant guy that does even want to go to said party?

Last edited:

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Once again I say. Do they even know where Rei is? Where do you want her to sent them? Empty Mailbox?
"Struggled against Leviathan Together?" Yuujin has spend far more time on-screen with Eri the moment he get his Appli drivers than Rei ever was.
Again. Would you invite a pleasant and nice guy to a party or a unpleasant guy that does even want to go to said party?
Whether they know or not it's not the problem, but it's that they don't remember his existence and as an appdriver. Rei is completely forgotten and no one even mentioned him or worry about, even Haru until now doesn't even remember about him even though he's the said "protagonist." It's a whole problem with the series, they knew Leviathan will eventually control human's world, but not even single f*ck was given by everyone except Rei.

Last edited:

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good luck, Salman. He doesn't understand and care that Haru and co. don't like Rei, they don't know if he still is alive, and generally don't care whether he is an applidriver, or not. Not to mention that they don't have a way to contact him (maybe except the watch if he is even using it), so even if they would love to invite him, then they don't have a way to do so. He thinks he found a grave mistake in the series, and since he hates it so much he won't listen to any reasons regardless of how true they are.

For me it is super obvious why they didn't invite Rei. If anything, like someone already mentioned, it is kinda weird they didn't invite Ai, but Eri said that the trip is only for those who fight Leviathan, and Ai doesn't really fight it. Rei in fact as well, since he cares only about Hajime, and is only looking for him and not to fight Leviathan.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good luck, Salman. He doesn't understand and care that Haru and co. don't like Rei, they don't know if he still is alive, and generally don't care whether he is an applidriver, or not. Not to mention that they don't have a way to contact him (maybe except the watch if he is even using it), so even if they would love to invite him, then they don't have a way to do so. He thinks he found a grave mistake in the series, and since he hates it so much he won't listen to any reasons regardless of how true they are.

For me it is super obvious why they didn't invite Rei. If anything, like someone already mentioned, it is kinda weird they didn't invite Ai, but Eri said that the trip is only for those who fight Leviathan, and Ai doesn't really fight it. Rei in fact as well, since he cares only about Hajime, and is only looking for him and not to fight Leviathan.
What's your elaboration that Haru and co. doesn't like Rei? I know only Eri and Astra who seemingly express dislike to him, but I don't think Haru prevails. He's the only one who cares about Rei in order to help him saving Hajime. He was still wondering about Rei after several eps, I remember the christmas one. But no, after it he doesn't keep his promise well. He still doesn't remember anything about Rei or even wonder what he's doing right now. And by what you think that he only looks for Hajime, sure. But he himself also expressed that he wouldn't even forgive Leviathan for kidnapping Hajime, so indirectly he also fights Leviathan. There, I don't see the logic on your statement.

I'm not asking for "why they didn't invite Rei", but "why they didn't even remember or wondering anything about Rei."

SoftMonKeychains

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

What's your elaboration that Haru and co. doesn't like Rei? I know only Eri and Astra who seemingly express dislike to him, but I don't think Haru prevails. He's the only one who cares about Rei in order to help him saving Hajime. He was still wondering about Rei after several eps, I remember the christmas one. But no, after it he doesn't keep his promise well. He still doesn't remember anything about Rei or even wonder what he's doing right now. And by what you think that he only looks for Hajime, sure. But he himself also expressed that he wouldn't even forgive Leviathan for kidnapping Hajime, so indirectly he also fights Leviathan. There, I don't see the logic on your statement.

I'm not asking for "why they didn't invite Rei", but "why they didn't even remember or wondering anything about Rei."
Do you really blame them for not inviting Rei? Last time I've checked he was a jerk to them. His only drive for anything is his lost brother, looks to no ways in order to get clues and resorts too easily by using others as shark bait with no care about their safety.
He's not a complete asshole but it doesn't hid the fact he's just too unfriendly.
I wouldn't want to hang out with him either. Sorry but I'm with Astra and Erika on this one. If you are a fan of his, fine by me but don't forget he's a lone wolf and not necessarily a harmless companion.
If you want him to get screentime by being with them well he has a lot of work for that ever work. His social skills are just as questionable as Shutmon's.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Haru might even like Rei, but in this episode he didn't have a word on who can be invited to the party. After all he also was invited to it. Therefore Haru asking Eri why she didn't invite someone (not just Rei, but pretty much every other person) would be rude. He is Eri's guest and he behaves like a guest. Bringing him up would be rude as well unless they generally would be talking about the fight, the whole situation, Leviathan. Then mentioning Rei could have sense. Otherwise, they went to vacations, so talking about job would be pretty odd. Also, I assume they're not Detective Conan characters, and they do talk with each other. Therefore I assume they already discussed everything related to Leviathan. Otherwise, what are they doing in the hideout? Are having sex with each other? I really doubt... Plus, they don't really know Rei. They only know that his little brother was kidnapped. They don't have any other leads. That's not enough to have a long conversation, or conversation at all. How long can you talk about a kidnap of a person you don't even know? Sane for them.

About Rei. His top priority is finding Hajime. Leviathan comes next. We, and Rei, know that finding Hajime is impossible now, but it doesn't look that he wants to join the kids to fight Leviathan. Even though he saw them summoning the godly Dantemon. It looks like he has now some other priorities. For example spying Yuujin. But I agree that his behaviour is suspicious - if I were him and if I were to spy Yuujin, I would join the gang to be as close to him as possible. But he didn't so it must mean that fighting Leviathan is not his priority at all.

Kazuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rei is an acquaintance, not a teammate or a friend. Even if they could contact him there would be no reason to invite a person that shows no interest whatsoever of being with them. It's like not inviting that coworker that you barely speak to.

Also, Rei is all business with the Applidrive/Hajime thing and has berated them before for fooling around. Them inviting him to a vacation or him accepting would have been OoC

ReiKatsura

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are you really arguing about Rei? Really?

I mean...I really like Rei...and I was disappointed that he was not in this episode...but...the point that Eri and Astra don't seem to like him is true. They don't.

SoftMonKeychains

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are you really arguing about Rei? Really?

I mean...I really like Rei...and I was disappointed that he was not in this episode...but...the point that Eri and Astra don't seem to like him is true. They don't.
It's okay to feel upset for Rei not having much screentime but one thing is that and another is demanding a forced participation in an episode that makes whole sense while he's not there. There's so many episodes left, this is just starting warping up.
I got that sort of stuff so much in my past and I wasn't rubbing that on people's faces. I just appreciate the little I've got. But as that role got inverted lately for the first time I can remember, I understand your pain.
But believe me, complaining won't change anything. You know his participation is far from ending, he will do something crucial eventually but until there, let's wait, alright?

Unless Yuujin changes the hostile atmosphere between his friends and Rei I don't really see any motives why they ever should hang with him. Rei is not making that any easier and if you want to blame anyone for the lack of screentime lately, well, blame him. He's doing that to himself. I see why Astra and Erika don't like him, it's actually perfectly understandable. He's just too unfriendly to everyone around him and only Hackmon can go through that. Not even an acquaintance if you ask me.

That have to change for his own sake. He can't save anyone in his current mental state.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
duh, how many I told you, my problem is not bcos they didn't invite Rei, but he wasn't mentioned at all in the episode. How many times did they even forget about him? I know Eri and Astra don't care, but Haru should be one. They can't contact him? It's fine. They hate him? It's also fine. But at least mention him, it's not like he was forgotten at all in the anime by them.

As I said, it just feel like how most of the characters don't even care about Leviathan's chaos in the real world and just enjoy everyday live laxly without even wondering about something bad in the future. "L Virus appmon? oh okay just beat it, get the chip, and start another day with their daily lives." They want to stop leviathan, they know they can't be in there without safe way, but they aren't initiative to find such way, as if the day will come itself. Haru has commitment that he wants to help Rei finding Hajime, but he just do nothing in the 2nd arc, probably he even forget about him.

Well, that's what I felt after watching 31 episodes of appmon, they really start not to be solid anymore.