AppliMonsters Episode 29: Buddies No Longer!? Gatchmon Runs Away

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You say that because You don't like Offmon ;). Previous episode was pretty important because it explored Yuujin's whereabouts. Offmon was just a mascot in that episode. I agree though that this one was kinda pointless and unnecessary. Well... time will tell if it was really unnecessary (Watson will do nothing with the photo and/or Hunter J will appear never again), or it served its purpose.

And for me Offmon is much cuter than Cutemon :p. I like how they all consider him a little lost and shy child ;).

Anyway, this episode actually has some tidbits which can potentially be used to make the direction of the series more interesting. What if people started to learn about the appmon? It might not be the first time we hear about that J guy.

I doubt. The world already suffered so much due to the appmon actions, and it doesn't look that the people have noticed that something's off. They won't notice until a big furry and ugly appmon will appear in front of them and will destroy half of Tokyo. But even then there is a high chance that the next day people will forget that something ever happened.
Actually, yeah I'll wait whether it will be brought up in the further episodes or not, bcos so far most of the moments or incident were only episodic and was never brought anymore. Like eps 4 men in black, the mysterious applidrive who appgattai cameramon and mienumon (which is most likely Naito), Haru's grandpa incident, the L corp manager, and the L OS, but then now I hardly trust the Appmon staffs anymore. Everything only prevail just in 1 episodes, no follow up, nothing so far. Even the characters are only episodic too, just like Pokemon anime. So much characters to introduce, so much wasting voice acting and episode timing. Not to mention they usually hire A or S-rank seiyuu like Touyama Nao, Morikubo Shoutarou, etc. But they're only use them for such unimportant characters in the end.

I'm also complaining how the citizen in Appmon are so passive and stupid. Sure, it's said the ppl nowadays are just following what their app tells them to, without any hesitation, questioning what happened after almost 20x incident. That's beyond stupid and just forced up to bring the comedies on. Unless there are following explanations about the passive citizen, then I still call it stupid.

Last edited:

ReiKatsura

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dats24 if you hate Appmon this much for this stuff, why do you still watch it?

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dats24 if you hate Appmon this much for this stuff, why do you still watch it?
So, I can't hate something? I trusted Appmon very much to be eventually a very good digimon series after the failure of XW, even if a spin off. I wanna see how much the staffs can handle the execution (whether good or bad or even worse) just like what they were saying with those interviews from Animedia. I watch it bcos it's a digimon, even if spin off, simply just that. I keep watching to see how good or bad the final conclusion will be, so I can either praise or criticize the Appmon anime for such success or failure they made throughout the series

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I'm in much the same position. If Appmon weren't Digimon, I probably wouldn't have bothered watching it this long. It has a few great moments at rare intervals, but for the most part it's been a disappointment.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought this episode was nice enough. Nothing mindblowing, mind you, but it was cute and fun. I think even at its worst comparing Appmon to the Pokemon anime isn't fair, it might not be the plot heaviest show, but it doesn't waste episode after episode on total garbage! Heck, even among Digimon shows I think it's better than Savers or Xros Wars so far. To each their own though.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it's pretty much a disappointment bcos how they marketed it. I know it's a kids show, but why taking too much serious sci-fi plot if the staffs are having burden to execute such direction to the plot? The interview teased us with those AI things as AI has been the most keyword in Appmon series. The interview mostly were saying about how the staffs want to show about the AI stuffs in everyday life and how it affect human while questioning about what the humanity gets with AI stuffs. That's such a deep thing to think but the show as for now clearly don't portray anything about it at all. I've been kinda intrigued on how Tutomon explains the AI stuffs in real life like the auto-braking system for modern vehicle to help human in doing works, etc in eps 9. But where the hell did that kind of explanations go? All we see now is just "oh it's a bad appmon, let's go to AR field and do some cocky jokes."

They really forgot the creative fighting in earlier episodes? How about the L OS plague? how about Den'eimon's mystery? How about the deeper explanation of what an Appmon is and how they do life cycle? It's never explained, still very banal world building aspect even though they spammed the opening episode with surface web deep web dark web thing and about that "in 2045 AI will surpass human intelligence" with serious tone. What those are all about? Why so serious explanation if the show don't know when to serious or not? We want to know more about deep web as much as how we wanted to know about the nature of Digimon Tamers' digital world back then... But no, back into boring daily life in real world without many effort to go back into deep web so far.

And by the way, I'm not saying the episode is garbage, I compare it to pokemon just bcos the episodic moment that doesn't affect the later episodes much, and such bunch of wasteful supporting characters like J or Shouta that we won't even see in future episodes, that's just like pokemon anime tbh.

Last edited:

Kiimon: Blast Mode

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm also complaining how the citizen in Appmon are so passive and stupid. Sure, it's said the ppl nowadays are just following what their app tells them to, without any hesitation, questioning what happened after almost 20x incident. That's beyond stupid and just forced up to bring the comedies on. Unless there are following explanations about the passive citizen, then I still call it stupid.
In "Night", a Holocaust survivor's memoir, the entire first half focuses on how the Jews in his city were passive and stupid and never questioned what the Nazis were doing or even considered that they were in danger. It's sort of exaggerated here but it's not really that much of a stretch. It's social commentary anyways, so it should be somewhat exaggerated.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat myself. I was absolutely loving Appmon. Things were at a slow burn, and there were a few missteps (Astra's second episode, the one-two punch of useless Xmas episode and useless Puzzlemon episode)... but overall it felt like it was actually BUILDING to something. And things were starting to get REALLY good with the Dantemon episode and the Kowloon episode...

Right up until they pulled the kids out of the Deep Web and completely killed all the tension that they had been building up. Instead of capitalizing on the chance to start a plot-heavy series of episodes, they cop out and just go back to Appmon-of-the-week filler while giving us Yuujin and an ugly new digivice.

I'm trying to stay positive, but after 4 episodes of the plot spinning its wheels and apparently 3 more on the schedule, it looks bleak. I assume they will eventually give us more plot since they have a bunch of plot threads set up... but it's all going to be rushed when it could have been given proper time to breathe.

Interestingly... the manga does exactly this. The kids make it to the Deep Web and meet Yuujin at the Gate. And they just continue forward without having to go home. *sigh*

ReiKatsura

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope that they dont rush through the plot with Night and the Ultimate 4 after all those fillers. I would rather see more than 52 episodes than a rushed plot to the end because of too many fillers.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope that they dont rush through the plot with Night and the Ultimate 4 after all those fillers. I would rather see more than 52 episodes than a rushed plot to the end because of too many fillers.
Lol it's not just too many fillers, but there are too much cliffhangered hints that were still remain unexplained until now. I don't think 21 episodes remaining are sufficient enough to reveal all those unexplained hints about the plot, not to mention that the staffs aren't that reliable to create such good conclusion throughout episodes with such wasteful supporting characters, too anticlimatic results with such no meaningful process and moments, and the unrelated events from an episode that having no effects into the whole series.

You want to make good 52 episodes series with fillers? They actually can, as long as they keep the series be straightforward and less plot twists. Frontier can do this without any meaningful plot holes. Appmon seems like they're trying to be as deep as Tamers but with going Yokai Watch kind of narrative. It's not effective.

Last edited:

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think some of you are panicking a little. Yeah, the kids went to the Deep Web, but they noticed that finding Leviathan there won't be easy. So for now they stopped entering it until they will come with a plan how to find it or will find more info about it. Plus, it can be that they're visiting the Deep Web from time to time, but offscreen. Finally, they all are aware that they also have a daily life, and they can't dedicate Leviathan more time than they already are. Personally I think that they dedicated much more of it than they should.

Recently Yuujin joined ranks with them. They surely have many questions about that (and the fact that Leviathan hired a sniper), and they know that the Dark Web can wait. The whole Yuujin got Offmon yesterday, and he has a new Digivice Duo is enough intetesting for them. Maybe they even are considering that there might be more kids with Applidrive, and maybe it would be worth looking for them, and that's why they stopped entering the Deep Web.Until they will find more allies.

And finally, we know that soon Night will appear in the anime. Maybe that's why the anime is more focused on the Real World than the Deep Web, because in the Deep Web we won't find Night. I wouldn't call the 28th episode a filler. This one was, and all signs on the sky and Earth suggest that the next episode also will be. But it is just two episodes so far. Nothing painful. And Digimons always were a "Digimon of the week" starting from the Adventure, so nothing new here.

(wrote this on the phone, so there might be typos)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's a lot of supposition there about activity and thought processes we've seen no on-screen evidence of. Even if it's the case, it still seems like bad writing.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
panicking? no, not at all. All I want is just some seriousness towards the series in 2nd arc. Meanwhile another 50 episodes series had been focus much on world building and plot thickening, Appmon is still lax as hell with some episodic unimportant fillers like that. Why I said unimportant? Bcos the episode rather have no effect into another future episodes with such supporting characters to reveal. I agree with TMS that it's just a bad writing. Even if there's an ambition for them to go to deep web again, that kind of excuse is just unforgivable. If they're serious, they should've been talking about how to do so, but no, all we see are just unrelated personal episodic problem that has nothing to do with the whole characterization.

You can say all digimon series have "digimon of the week episode" throughout the 2nd arc, but at least they're focusing on world building and their adventure in the digital world unlike Appmon which are still prefer portraying their everyday life without much sense of danger. I can take example like the Hirokazu Kenta eps in Tamers with Jijimon and Babamon, it's rather a refreshing one as well as it still portray us something important that not every digimon in the Tamers' digital world live in harsh nature, and then both Jijimon and Babamon were still not forgotten, remember that they join the war against D-Reaper? Yeah that way. I don't think Appmon can treat the characters like that. Where the hell is Cameramon? Where's Sleepmon? Why they're much forgotten just in few episodes showing? They treat the villains like stupid. Yeah, even Mienumon is stupid enough for envying about Eri.

Nothing painful? Actually it's much painful that it should be. Like I said, you can make a good 52 episodes series with episodic fillers, as long as the plot is kept being straightforward and not much plot twists throughout the episodes. Appmon is promising a deep world building, deep characterization of each character, and deep concept about the entire series, by the staffs interview from Animedia. What we get so far? Banal world building, episodic characterization without meaningful process, and anticlimatic decision. I was waiting for more interesting concept about the surface web, but no, it doesn't have any interesting things rather than just Appmon islands. I was waiting for Astra's seriousness in choosing his life, whether being an iemoto successor or being apptuber. He directly answer and decide so anticlimatic without deeper and progressive thought process.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a very cute episode. Much like Offmon. heh heh But we could use a few of these before the next plot.

amozu16

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm pretty sure that Watson seeing the Appmon further confirms the Triple Sevens (777) theory. The chances of him playing a greater role in the story have increased quite a bit.

Otherwise, I found this episode cute, I enjoyed watching the three of them interact with each other and the world, but I can see why many of you didn't agree with it

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe he'd be the more comedic(not butt monkey but close) smart guy. While Ai is girly girl to Eri's more tomboy-like character.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watching this episode actually remind me of how extraordinary kid like Kiriha and taiki are.
Gatchmon could watch youtube for free, nice.
J has been at it for 30 year? The possibility of him appearing again is high.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media