AppliMonsters Episode 27: The Fifth Applidriver!

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did anyone else notice that Tsubumon was completely destroyed by Offmon's attack? That's the first time we've seen an Appmon die permanently. Yujin's like a more personable Kurata. lol
no it didn't. His chip popped out of the applidrive later.

Kiimon: Blast Mode

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Almost all ultimates so far were a bunch of robots (I'm talking about you Globemon) so can't say now if CGI will work well in an anthropomorphic wolf.
Well, Oujamon is sort of an anthropomorphic lion and he is animated pretty well. A wolf won't be that different in my opinion, they both still have fur and hair and need to move more organically, so if they can pull that off with Oujamon they can probably do it with Shutmon.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've talked about this before, but I've noticed that the CGI tends to look pretty good for the robotic/armored Appmon. Dogatchmon, Scopemon, Globemon all look great! Yeah, the art clashes a bit, but since they are playing up the more-digital look in-universe, I quite like the effect! The numbers all over their designs are a nice touch!

However, the more organic designs: Mediamon, Sakushimon, Coachmon, MIENUMON... they just look ugly. The way their mouths move reminds me of the opening cinematic from PS1 Digimon World. It clashes with the style of the 2D animation. There's this uncanny valley effect where all their human features look like melted candle wax.

I think Warudamon and Satellamon manage to look less terrible due to the way their are framed in the episodes. Notice that both characters tend to have lots of extreme closeups that keep their CGI effect from clashing with the environments. Or else they have a lot of extreme faraway shots to blur the details. It works nicely enough.

Though honestly I just wish they'd animate all of the organic characters with traditional 2D animation like they did with Coachmon. The robots can stay in CGI!

I am genuinely worried about how bad Shutmon and Logamon will look...

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree that the CGI don't work well with organic appmon, but I think Satellamon is a good one. The poorest think from the CGI model is they often get clunky movements. They look like they move in 5-10 FPS.

Last edited:

Digimon'sDigitalWill

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Offmon is cute. I like the scene with on/off game. I wonder whether Hajime or someone would be paired with Onmon or not. Anyway, really like Offmon's technique.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hajime is dead, he won't be paired with any -mon. At least not yet, but there is a chance that he will be paired with Bootmon once Leviathan will catch him.