AppliMonsters Episode 11: Dive into the Net Ocean! Chase the Super Hacker Rei!

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Universe AppliMonsters Episode 11: Dive into the Net Ocean! Chase the Super Hacker Rei!

Episode thread for Episode 11 of Digimon Universe Applimonsters

Air Time:
Saturday 10th Dec - 7am (Japan)
Friday 9th Dec - 10pm (UK)
Friday 9th Dec - 5pm (EST)
Friday 9th Dec - 2pm (PST)

If you are not sure of your time then please use:
www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_JP.aspx

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before episode airs. You can discuss any 'next episode' previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

To join the chatroom to discuss the episode as it airs and after it airs with others either click the chat link at the top of WtW or use your irc program to join.

Server- irc.rizon.net
Room- #wtw

Update- Episode 11 is streaming freely at TV Tokyo's website for the time being at the time of this edit (9:25pm Pacific, 12/9/2016.)

Raw Japanese with no subtitles, as expected.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/appmon/

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a good one... Appmon's story is starting to move nice and fast by now, to think that within a span of a single episode we'll get a first nice look at the Appmon's natural habitat, plus a first demonstration of the powers of one of the bigger known threats, plus a glance at Rei's true motivation... the second half of the episode sure was packed.

The World of the network ocean was interesting. The series seems to go for the "mini worlds" approach like Tamers and Xros Wars before it (an especially Tamers touch was also the fact that no one needed to breathe underwater) but with the different worlds being visible as physical bubbles in the ocean it still seems more unified and "materialistic" than the Digital Worlds made out of actually separate mini dimensions (who knows, once the scale of the battles goes up maybe we'll see some bubbles physically colliding or something).
I wonder if Appmon style their AR fields in the human world after the "islands" they inhabit?

I really wasn't expecting to see Sakushimon in action so soon. He seemed like a good mid-way villain so I expected that the heroes would first have to fight their way through Mienumon, Sleepmon or maybe even Cameramon again with Sakushimon acting as enigmatic mastermind before finally coming face to face with him but it seems like he wants to win the battle as soon as soon as possible, so he just jumped in and crushed them (almost literally even).
What is particularly interesting about the situation at hand is that with this episode our heroes have gotten their asses handed to them two times in a row and both times very convincingly. Both Rei and Sakushimon are in another league while the three "junior" AppliDrivers still have a lot to catch up to and while they can hold their ground against the berserk Appmon of the week they are still tiny fish in a big Net Ocean. That the big Villain starts of rather powerful is nothing new of course but this time we are dealing with at least two overwhelmingly powerful factions... and it doesn't seem like Rei sees them as useful enough to team up with them.

Now let's talk about the fight against Sakushimon... it started of silly but when he got serious I really started to like what I was seeing. Because this guy gets it. The moment he is presented with an actually dangerous challenge all bets are off and he goes straight for the humans. Because that's the sad reality of Digimon Partners: In the end, it's not simply a fight against a very strong Digimon (or Appmon). The actual situation that it's a fight against a very strong Digimon accompanied by one or more weak squishy humans that are completely defenseless on their own and who said strong Digimon will always try to protect first. For a sufficiently ruthless fighter this is an easily exploitable weakness and it's great to see that Sakushimon is aware of this (More Digimon Villains should use tactics lik this more proactively).
On the other hand, the earlier traps on his little minefield were a bit silly, some more along the lines of mean jokes rather than actual attacks although in the end it was always exactly enough to neutralize the opponent. One has to wonder if those early attempts were just Appmon being dumb or if, in true mastermind fashion, Sakushimon was hiding his real strength behind the silliness as a measure to catch them off guard.
And while Raidramon showed that some of Sakushimon's contraptions can be neutralized via brute force the tactician could still hold his own even against an opponent who is not trapped in his mine field. I don't think that makes him overpowered though. Yes, he defeated Raidramon quite easily but he masnaged this via a hit with his special attack from point blank while his opponent didn't expect it. The element of surprise only works once, and for their next clash he'll have to come up with a different plan. And I'm looking forward to that. Also I'm holding my breath for an eventual epic Sakushimon vs Sukashimon showdown. It needs to happen.

And the other big reveal... Rei is not on Leviathan's side (which was always kind of obvious) and he's actually searching for his little brother who might have disappeared somewhere into the net ocean (which was the actually new and interesting part). This immediately changes the most fitting Xros Wars counterpart for him from Kiriha to Nene. I don't think Xros Wars the "missing sibling" plot was handled too well (even the Manga's Kotone was one of the stories weaker parts and characters) so I wonder what we can expect from Appmon... I could imagine Rei as a seemingly distant but actually very caring brother along the lines of Yutaka in Frontier. Maybe his harsh methods of "dissuading" the others from challenging Leviathan could be the result of his hidden protective side.

I couldn't make out too much of the dialogue so maybe some of these questions are already answered but there's some intriguing stuff here... For how long is Rei's brother missing? Could he be in the hands of leviathan? And most importantly: Could his brother also be an AppliDriver?

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I couldn't make out too much of the dialogue so maybe some of these questions are already answered but there's some intriguing stuff here... For how long is Rei's brother missing? Could he be in the hands of leviathan? And most importantly: Could his brother also be an AppliDriver?
Maybe his brother is Cameramon's Appli Driver. I mean, missing brother who is somewhere in the other world. That's truly sixth ranger potential here. And due to the nature of App Fusion, it could be too much to introduce a ton of characters at once just for a new line, so might as well just go with an existing character whose Buddy is unknown.

And man, people on the Internet are REALLY focused on the part where Eri says her chest hurts inside the crushing machine. Like, when I searched for screenshots of the episode on Twitter, literally the first one I found was that one, and even Anihatsu's blog post starts with it.

I find funny how Reviewmon rated Eri with three stars. And it seems he rated her partially based on the fact she's not wearing an idol costume.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ohhh, theigno, that's a plausible reason Rei doesn't want them to fight Big L! He knows that, if even he can't beat Leviathan, not only will they get creamed, but there might be more hostages!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated first post with streaming link since it's up on TV Tokyo.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I knew the Appmon's Digital World, existed within the Net Ocean itself, called it last week when I said it's probably like Tamers or Xros Wars, where there exist smaller worlds within an ocean or space. Sakushimon is powerful, he tossed Raidramon like he was nothing, but I'll admit that scene where Raidramon pinned him down with his claws to his forehead was really cool. This story is progressing really nicely, I'm hoping we find out more about Rei and his brother next episode.

amozu16

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe his brother is Cameramon's Appli Driver. I mean, missing brother who is somewhere in the other world. That's truly sixth ranger potential here. And due to the nature of App Fusion, it could be too much to introduce a ton of characters at once just for a new line, so might as well just go with an existing character whose Buddy is unknown.

Perhaps, but it's also possible (though, given Digimon's track history, highly unlikely) that Rei's younger brother is also Biomon's partner, the Appmon needed to form Hadesmon. But, again, the former theory is more likely, although it still leaves open the question of who Rei's partner will be.

EDIT: Having now seen said kid brother, I realize how off I was with suggesting he might be Biomon's partner. Cameramon seems highly likely still

Last edited:

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did they change the artist? face expressions and art style of all they changed a lot in this episode and episode 10 a few scenes.

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been really enjoying the past few eps and this ep was nice as well, though the not-so-good animation this ep did ruin it a bit for me...haha
I wonder if they could somehow use Gatchmon's search ability to track Hajime down? Because Rei seems like he keeps overpowering the protags so it'd be nice to show a side that the protags can do that Rei can't, or something.

amozu16

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been really enjoying the past few eps and this ep was nice as well, though the not-so-good animation this ep did ruin it a bit for me...haha
I wonder if they could somehow use Gatchmon's search ability to track Hajime down? Because Rei seems like he keeps overpowering the protags so it'd be nice to show a side that the protags can do that Rei can't, or something.
Or if not Gatchmon Navimon or DoGatchmon, because, why else have navigation app, or a "super search" app created by combing said navi app with a search app?

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how the series is being developed so far, I get in Appmon vibes from Digimon Tamers and Digimon Xros Wars in some sort of way so I'm in :) Especially the characters of Rei and Raidramon are so damn epic! I mean, apart from Kiriha, I can't remember one single Chosen Child being so overpowered by his own and that's so cool. In this vein, one user pointed out in Twitter today that most of the "rivals" from the past seasons suffered a tragic loss in the past that determined their way of being and acting: first of all we have Ken Ichijoji in Digimon Adventure 02, later Thoma Norstein in Savers and Kiriha Aonuma in Xros Wars (my favourite human character from XW anime by the way) and now it seems that Rei too; I really enjoy this kind of references between seasons ^^

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want more cool Digital World shenanigans. The stuff with Rei is cool and all, but I want them to spend a little more time world-building this new setting... They spent 10 episodes on the Real World and AR Fields, but one episode of the Digital World and whoops no time for that, PLOT PLOT PLOT!

Well, at least the plot is good stuff! Still, I hope the next episode manages to work in a little more fleshing out of the Digital World setting.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry I'm posting in this so late but I just aw the episode. Pretty good. Info on Rei, and that villain sure is annoying. Good episode though.

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know I'm super late to the party, but were those recolor Appmon in Cookmon's restaurant (blue Perorimon and red Watchmon) actual unique Appmon or just random recolors?

Also, what was the third Appmon sitting with them wearing the rainbow cape?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as we know, the recolored Appmon were just a normal Perorimon and Watchmon, like the various Roleplaymon we saw in episode 3. The other Appmon with them is a Dressmon.