Angewomon and Hikari GEM Figure Cancelled Outside of Japan

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A social media post from SD Distribuciones (a figure distributor in Spain) has shed information that has suggested that the GEM Hikari and Angewomon figure may be cancelled for countries outside of Japan and Asia.

Image Thumbnail

A translation of their announcement is that Megahouse has cancelled distribution of the figure in Europe, the USA, and Latin America.

The reason given is seemingly based on Angewomon's outfit.

Megahouse apparently has concerns (it's unknown if this is from Megahouse or SD Distribuciones assuming) that with Digimon popular among children, they have concerns at how they will be viewed if the figure is released in other countries (If any of our Spanish speaking members go to the source link and do a better translation of SDD's various comments it would be appreciated.)

The GEM Figures from Megahouse are not generally sold at retail stores outside of Japan and this specific figure had an MSRP near $100.

The ship date for the figure in Japan was a few days ago, with a few retailers listing the release date as today.

Crunchyroll had been selling pre-orders for this figure. As of the time of writing, that pre-order is still up.

Update- Crunchyroll has removed their page for the Angewomon/Hikari GEM figure and cancellation notices are being sent out.

Update 2- Crunchyroll's store support has commented on their forum. I've also changed the topic name since it seems clear it's cancelled.

The text is quoted below.

Hey everyone, not great news this time.

Due to a recent development, we're unable to fulfill orders for the G.E.M Angewomon & Hikari figure. The manufacturer, Megahouse, has halted production of the figure and is no longer providing it to North American and European retailers.

This cancellation came at the order of the original rights holders. They wanted to market Digimon as a child-friendly property, and though this Angewomon figure wasn't appropriate for that image.

We'll issue a refund for all orders--once we make the refund, it normally takes 3-5 business days to reflect in your account.

If you ordered the bundle set, we will notify you to check if you would like to still keep Angemon &Takeru.

If you have any questions, please contact us via the HELP/FAQ link at the bottom of any Crunchyroll page, and we will answer them to the best of our ability.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience as we know many people were looking forward to the figure.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. This discussion may not end well. Though we have the best mods so it might be under control. I'm a bit confused. This is sold only on the internet right? Where those who are interested are people over 18 with disposable income they have worked for much like actual adults right? So... What's the problem?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. This discussion may not end well. Though we have the best mods so it might be under control. I'm a bit confused. This is sold only on the internet right? Where those who are interested are people over 18 with disposable income they have worked for much like actual adults right? So... What's the problem?
We're waiting to see if Megahouse is going to say anything about it. We have a message out the people at Megahouse that deals with non-Japanese buyers.

It appears (and my Spanish is just as bad as my Japanese) that they have some concern about how the figure will be 'viewed' if it ends up being sold in any stores and mistaken as a child's toy, since Digimon is seen as a children's franchise.

It's worth mentioning this is not confirmed. The source, as mentioned above, is one European distributor in Spain. Various other non-Japanese distributors of Megahouse figures are still taking orders for this.

Hopefully Megahouse's overseas staff will get back to me soon.

It'll be interesting, if this is true, how this will affect future Megahouse exports. As an example, coming out right about now is a GEM figure of Jessie from Pokemon (and Misty in May) where they have quite obviously sculpted their asses, and in the case of Misty, it feels like maybe a bit overboard.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Your spanish is right. The official excuse is that the figure is too much suggestive for the "intended public, the children".

This is why I wonder if perhaps there is a different reason or a miscommunication.

It's nearly impossible a kid could get ahold of one of these without a parent's assistance (this isn't the type of thing where you hand your kid a 20 and let them run to the toy aisle.)

It's sort of like how Toei is saying 'the state of the series' is the reason for tri. 2's theater BD being delayed. Clearly tri. 2 was done early enough that a quick small run of disks could be done. They're covering for a vendor.

It makes me wonder if perhaps the figures are coming out with a number of them flawed enough that they don't consider them sellable, and they are cannibalizing export stock to hit their local sales numbers.

It's already past the shipping date for Japanese sales (many customers already have them in hand), and exports in theory would have already have been being packed to local distributors by the time this came up.

This very much smells of coming up with an explanation to save face.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is why I wonder if perhaps there is a different reason or a miscommunication.

It's nearly impossible a kid could get ahold of one of these without a parent's assistance (this isn't the type of thing where you hand your kid a 20 and let them run to the toy aisle.)

Reading between the lines one the commentaries of SD Distribuciones, they don't seem so worried that a child buy the figure, but the image of the franchise.

The licensee apparently does not want to introduce the character with a sexual image in a primarily children franchise.

PS: Although it is strange that this only applies outside Japan

breaker335

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Reading between the lines one the commentaries of SD Distribuciones, they don't seem so worried that a child buy the figure, but the image of the franchise.

The licensee apparently does not want to introduce the character with a sexual image in a primarily children franchise.

Japan's weird.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Japan's weird.
While that's often an answer... it isn't here.

Even if we assume this is really an issue (I'm still more convinced there's a stock issue IF there is any issue.) There are any number of companies that could raise an objection.

Megahouse (or Bandai Japan as a whole)
Bandai America
Toei
Saban
etc.

Dingerzat

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there anything concrete at present to suggest that the Crunchyroll preorders will be cancelled even though they are still up? Also guessing Crunchyroll is the best place to buy it from if you live in the UK?

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there anything concrete at present to suggest that the Crunchyroll preorders will be cancelled even though they are still up? Also guessing Crunchyroll is the best place to buy it from if you live in the UK?
I perhaps didn't explain it well in the initial post.

CRs pre-order page is still up, but they stopped taking pre-orders awhile ago. When an item is cancelled they normally remove the page.

If Megahouse is cancelling non-Japanese distribution though, CRs order will be cancelled on them (unless they get their stock through a 3rd party.)

If you want a guarantee of getting the item...

You'll want to contact an intermediary.

From Japan
Rider Proxy
Nippon-Yasan
Japan Hero

Those are ones that WtWers and friends have used. In general search one that has an actual storefront and has the item, as it means they've likely nabbed the item in Japan, and can simply ship it to you.

It's worth noting, at this point, Japanese orders have been filled, and there is nothing 100% solid that orders outside of Japan has been cancelled.

I recommend giving it a day or two, and then contacting the place of your choice. This item is not 'banned' or anything. Even if Megahouse has chosen not to distribute it overseas, that just means they won't be doing it themselves. They can't keep stores from importing from other retailers, etc. So it might make the item more expensive, but you'll still be able to get it.

Sandra U.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hire is a translation of the link Marc provided, sorry for not posting it earlier I had some university issues (regarding my re-enrolment) to attend.

MegaHouse is informing that the distribution licence for the 19 cm Hikari-Angewomon figure has been cancelled in USA, Europe and Latin America.

The reason being the reviling clothing the figure (Angewomon) is wearing. This clothing lives too little to the imagination and is not appropriate for the intended public children. Megahouse expresses its most sincerest apologies to all clients who have reserved the figure. We feel sorry to be obligated to cancel the orders and the licence of the figure which was greatly accepted by the public during the pre-order period.

The other figures especially Angemon and Takeru continue their launching without a problem.

We feel sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

(My own opinion)
I can't understand why the figure was cancelled in Latin America when the anime was transmitted uncut and uncensored, I guess times change.
I am surprised it wasn't cancelled in Australia, Australia is an overprotective country.

PlaidSlurpee

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope this doesn't actually come into action, I just pre-ordered mine a few days ago. I don't see why they would even do this honestly, Angewomon wore the same thing in the anime back in the 90's which would have been more up-tight about nudity back then. I wonder if Megahouse will release a Rosemon figure, how would that be perceived?

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I made the translation of the other comment of SD Distribuciones:

"It seems that most of you are a little confusing attack. It's not that "children are going to buy the figure" and they are to be lustful. No.

The point is that the licensee -remember: the company that makes the series - do not want to associated the character as something sexual, being primarily aimed at children, even though a large group of users of the series are young people or adults today.

The figure is certainly more 'sexy' than can be reflected in the anime and yes, here the problem is that they have been slow to cancel the launch for these three regions."

Last edited:

CeciliaCrescent

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*Reads post while waiting for Amazon Japan to ship my Angewomon figure to my forwarding service's warehouse in Japan*

Seriously though, won't megahouse figures usually end up in specialty and novelty stores rather than let's say Toys R us where the "Audience" they're afraid to expose the product to are usually found?

Slash9x9

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just read on the Digimon Collect FB page that Crunchyroll are refunding people and will not be carrying the figure.
Can confirm. Received my cancellation email today. :(

Apashi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow. I'm still processing this. I really wanted this figure but the reason I didn't get it is because I didn't have the cash. So, if a 20+ yr old doesn't have enough to get this, how on Earth could a kid?? Really. Just to be clear, if I had pre-ordered this through CDJapan, would my order have been cancelled? The only other figure I've ever ordered was the other Hikari G.E.M. with Tailmon so I might not understand this completely.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow. I'm still processing this. I really wanted this figure but the reason I didn't get it is because I didn't have the cash. So, if a 20+ yr old doesn't have enough to get this, how on Earth could a kid?? Really. Just to be clear, if I had pre-ordered this through CDJapan, would my order have been cancelled? The only other figure I've ever ordered was the other Hikari G.E.M. with Tailmon so I might not understand this completely.
Your order would only be cancelled if you ordered it from a company that orders as an 'overseas' account via Megahouse.

CDJapan is internal to Japan, so if they had pre-order stock of it, you SHOULD receive it. I can't find a page for it at CDJapan, even under their out of print listings, so I don't know if they ever had stock of it to begin with though.

I admit I don't know how CDJapan does business internally though. They may be listed as an export company, and that could affect things. I don't know.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
News post has been updated with Crunchyroll's Store Support statement regarding the figure.