Algomon Rough Design from Soh Moriyama

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

From Soh Moriyama, we get a look at an early rough design for Algomon!

This is a rough early design of Algomon's Ultimate form from the Digimon Savers movie.

The date listed on the art is January (or July) 23rd, 2006. The movie came out December 7th, 2006.

Translations of his 2 tweets (1) (2) that accompanied the art: (Updated with a translation from onkei.)
The final colors for Algomon Ultimate level were not my idea, but I think that the purple and green that were applied on him since the beginning ended up making him into a creepy-looking monster similar to the EVA-01.

Also, here is one of the tossed rough drafts of Algo from the archives. It looks almost like a super robot. The story was aiming for a kaiju-story though, so that's how it ended up.

And on top of that, the handwritten notes: (due to it being handwriting these may not be wholey accurate)
Algomon Ultimate Level, Humanoid form (July 23, 2006)
A giant, macho, super-thick body.
Arkadimon - Imperialdra... Buster machine getter?
Tentacles = aurelia. The body and legs > Semi-transparent cylinders. The core looks like marimo in suspension. (They're damaged by flames or cold air?) Maybe blown to bits by ShineGrey's attack?
Tentacles of thighs form into pipes that make up his muscles.
The parts on his shoulders open up to reveal giant eyes!
The heroine trapped within the parts in his chest?

Algomon has taken on a greater relevance to modern fans as he's played a large role in Digimon Adventure:, getting to see some early design work for him is quite fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool. On his shins, chest and forearms; Are those meant to be hollow compartments with energy sources in the middle or something?

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It could be perfect for Algomon Super Ultimate form.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oof, unfortunately a case where I like the concept more than the final design. Good thing the chosen design incorporates an army of eyes on Algomon'a chest as that attack is really dynamic, interesting, and eerie so it definitely gained something for me

Katsu Hikaru

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oof, unfortunately a case where I like the concept more than the final design. Good thing the chosen design incorporates an army of eyes on Algomon'a chest as that attack is really dynamic, interesting, and eerie so it definitely gained something for me
Same i wonder what made them change their mind on this design though it definitely gives this rough draft of Algomon Evangelion vibes this could definitely be a final villain oh well another good design down the drain.

Last edited:

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I keep reading it as Alphamon since they cut a similar profile head-on. But yeah, definitely a cool villain who's benefiting from some new exposure.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added updated translations, plus translations of the handwritten notes.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting. Algomon (Ultimate) Humanoid Mode? Then maybe Algomon Ultimate with current form is "Beast Mode"?

Human trapped inside there? Pretty cool. Powering up or hostage?

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting. Algomon (Ultimate) Humanoid Mode? Then maybe Algomon Ultimate with current form is "Beast Mode"?

Human trapped inside there? Pretty cool. Powering up or hostage?
It's not an alternate form or anything. It's the prototype design of the final Algomon Ultimate we got.

The "heroine" it's talking about is almost certainly Rhythm from the Savers movie, or an early iteration of her.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It definitely reads as "forced Jogress of Alphamon and Arkadimon" to me. I do wish the tentacled limbs had been kept and hope that, if a Super Ultimate / Super Mega / Ultra form were to be made, that it would have that trait. I'm also trying to envision a purple-and-green beast that combines traits from the Algomons, Arkadimon SM, and Armageddemon. Maybe I'll take some of the quarantine time to try a fan design…

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know it's prototype design. When it says "Humanoid Mode", you kinda imagined the current form of Algomon Ultimate that looked enough to be "Beast Mode".

Hope there are more to Rhythm to release in that twitter after this design.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Couldn't humanoid mode just be because of Worm Phase? Maybe mega had one originally too or at first only one argomon existed.

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I prefer how he ended up. This guy's a bit too universally chunky.
The lanky proportions of the final design combined with the weird gaping void of eyes made him look alien and creepy.

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s a cool design and I appreciate the giant mech vibes. Love the NGE call out too, however I’m grateful it’s not the design they went with. It looks to bulky and normal. I really love how unique the official final one looks. It’s a really cool and menacing unique kaiju design.