Advertising Going Up & Other Potential Site Updates

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A couple site updates.

As I mentioned awhile back, we were considering some ads on the site.

For the time being we've decided to go ahead and try it out, to hopefully help fund the site.

The ads will be for Hobby Link Japan, a well known import retailer. The ads will be custom made for WtW, with a focus on Digimon products (when new and upcoming releases are happening.)

The setup will have one ad on a forum thread page, after the first post on the page. We've added styling around the ad so it blends in reasonably well. You'll be able to see the first one just under this post, and the image used will rotate out after a certain period of time.

Clicking the ad will take you to a page searching for Digimon stuff on HLJ, and if you you are planning on importing anything, buying things normally after clicking the link shows them it is worth their time to help support the site, no price or other elements change for you.

We will link to new Digimon products on their site normally when it makes sense, as we've done in the past (like for card game products recently) and those are not affiliate links.

We'll see how it goes, but regardless of it going well, we don't plan to ever have a high amount of ads on the site.

We host the image, and put in the link ourselves to what it goes to, as we plan to do in the future if this continues. The ad will also resize properly like the rest of the forum does.

If you have any feedback on how it's been integrated on the site, concerns, etc. feel free to post.

In addition, a few other 'potential' updates.

Most of the smaller site bugs since we moved to the new version of the site have been worked out.

A few things that have come up in discussion that I thought might be worth seeing if anyone had thoughts on...

A few people haven't liked the circle user avatars. While I don't think we plan to go back to squares, a rounded square/squircle, akin to an app icon isn't out of the question if people think they might like that (with the 'user online' light moved to a corner perhaps.)

We may also clean up what the 'read/unread' looks like in the forum navigation, as a few people have brought up it not being super obvious at a glance.

We've also been considering turning on push notifications. These would be native notifications to your browser/os based on your own settings, which your browser would allow you to easily block if you don't want them. Basically just a way to get the standard notifications you get now, just without coming to the site to check.

A few people asked about the oled theme I mentioned. We still plan to do that, we just haven't had the time to do it properly yet.

That's been most of it, but if you can think of anything else, feel free to post it here and we will take a look.

If you want to support the site directly there is our Patreon or donations. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the franchise or anything else.

Attachments