Adventure: & Survive Mentions in Toei Fiscal Year 2021 (Ending in March) Report

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
toeifinancial_may13_2021.png

A few Digimon mentions in a new Toei fiscal report.

First up, Survive is mentioned, with no specific changes from prior reports, based on what information they have they still expect the game to show up this fall.

Adventure: is also referenced beginning it's second year. The only specific mention is that due to the timing of the start of the broadcast, it struggled to capture the audience of children they specifically wanted at the beginning.

Interestingly, they don't say whether in the end it did or didn't up to when the report was put together (recent products from Bandai suggest that aspect has gotten better over the last few months, but no specific mention.)

Based on the attached data sheets, if you look at data for various titles, Digimon appears to be roughly the 3rd to 6th biggest title for Toei (based on various rankings and numbers), as far as money they make from it. (A good percentage appearing to be licensing of show, film, and merchandising outside of Japan.)

This appears to line up roughly with the last report we saw (around March), and I believe with the one prior to that.

Attachments

• toeifinancial_may13_2021.jpg
    toeifinancial_may13_2021.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 9,394

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm mostly glad to be finally able to see Survive exist. Even if the game is okay tier, it means Habu's team can focus more on the next Story or World installment

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ngh.

"I want to believe..."

But I won't until I see a new trailer or something to disprove my fears

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As alluded to in the OP, Survive is always on these things and there hasn’t been any notable changes since the last report. Don’t take this as news lol. Had to put this out here early and clearly, just in case.

It’s interesting to hear how Adventure: is doing. While I’m not sure the pandemic is all to blame, there were minor decreases in total revenue in major franchises like Dragon Ball as well, so seeing as Digimon is potentially doing better than previous years, I’ll take that as a good result. It seems like Digimon is doing well overseas, which is expected honestly, so hopefully streaming services and the like are helping Adventure: out as well.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm mostly glad to be finally able to see Survive exist. Even if the game is okay tier, it means Habu's team can focus more on the next Story or World installment

This was also stated like two months ago, mind.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean Digimon struggling to attract new kid fans isn't anything new, that's why they moved to making adult aimed products so this is just more of the same really. They can blame covid all they want as an excuse, but it's just more of the same.

And if that report is right, then hopefully Survive does come in autumn 2021. Theyd need to announce it ASAP if that's the case, which would prob be E3. not gonna hold my breath though

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean Digimon struggling to attract new kid fans isn't anything new, that's why they moved to making adult aimed products so this is just more of the same really. They can blame covid all they want as an excuse, but it's just more of the same.

Actually I'm glad that they found a scapegoat and blame covid for this, because there is a chance that they again will try their luck with Digimon once covid era will end. Because otherwise they could put Digimon into a fridge again.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Been skimming through the whole financial report myself, and while I'm glad Digimon Survive got mentioned as a thing that still exists, I'm more curious about Toei's plans moving forward after I saw their blurb on becoming a "title-orientated organization" that will "increase new titles and make title lifecycles longer."

I can guess on what that translates to, but then that page mentions plans to "enter into the Hollywood business."

My immediate take, as far as Digimon goes? We're probably going to see Digimon shows continue, but with more episodes planned to air than the standard 50-ish episode run (kinda like what we're seeing with Digimon Adventure: and its slated 66 episode run) for the sake of maintaining engagement as long as possible.*

Also, probably more Digimon movies within the next several years similar to Last Evolution Kizuna or, barring that, new Digimon movies that exist on their own as a movie IP. Again, just my take on what little information is there on that financial report.

*So long as the show doesn't tank so hard as to get cancelled and have a rushed ending. It happens.

Tetsuya Suoh

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At this point, I'm kind of starting to resent Survive. The Digimon World formula is my favorite, but it was confirmed when Survive was announced that they planned to return to the Story for the next game after it, meaning I have to wait for both Survive and the next Story game at least before I can get another World game. I'm also just not a fan of strategy survival games.
That being said, my fiance will most definitely hw getting it, so I can play his copy to see of I like it.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Been skimming through the whole financial report myself, and while I'm glad Digimon Survive got mentioned as a thing that still exists, I'm more curious about Toei's plans moving forward after I saw their blurb on becoming a "title-orientated organization" that will "increase new titles and make title lifecycles longer."

I can guess on what that translates to, but then that page mentions plans to "enter into the Hollywood business."

My immediate take, as far as Digimon goes? We're probably going to see Digimon shows continue, but with more episodes planned to air than the standard 50-ish episode run (kinda like what we're seeing with Digimon Adventure: and its slated 66 episode run) for the sake of maintaining engagement as long as possible.*

Also, probably more Digimon movies within the next several years similar to Last Evolution Kizuna or, barring that, new Digimon movies that exist on their own as a movie IP. Again, just my take on what little information is there on that financial report.

*So long as the show doesn't tank so hard as to get cancelled and have a rushed ending. It happens.
I had a similar reading on the longer lifecycles bit. With Kitaro and DB Super getting movies, the two previous holders of the current timeslot of Adventure:, I've been wondering if that means Adventure: goes on for longer than one would usually expect. No way of knowing now, but I think it's possible we see the series go past 66 episodes. After all, 66 was just the number Toei Animation Europe used to promote the series for licensing on their website, I doubt it's a concrete order of episodes from Toei in the first place. Then again, I should probably save this for after we get close to Episode 66 airing lol.

At this point, I'm kind of starting to resent Survive. The Digimon World formula is my favorite, but it was confirmed when Survive was announced that they planned to return to the Story for the next game after it, meaning I have to wait for both Survive and the next Story game at least before I can get another World game. I'm also just not a fan of strategy survival games.
That being said, my fiance will most definitely hw getting it, so I can play his copy to see of I like it.
The developers behind Survive, the next Story game (as well as both Cyber Sleuth games), and Next Order are all completely different studios. Survive isn't holding any Digimon games back, and the reason World was put on the back-burner was due to sales. For the record, the re:Digitize and Decode developers were also a separate studio, even from the Next Order studio, so there really isn't any reason besides a business one for Bandai Namco to not hire a studio to work on a new World game. I'm sure they'll make another one eventually.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The developers behind Survive, the next Story game (as well as both Cyber Sleuth games), and Next Order are all completely different studios. Survive isn't holding any Digimon games back, and the reason World was put on the back-burner was due to sales. For the record, the re:Digitize and Decode developers were also a separate studio, even from the Next Order studio, so there really isn't any reason besides a business one for Bandai Namco to not hire a studio to work on a new World game. I'm sure they'll make another one eventually.

They were competing against themselves a few years ago, arguably, Digimon World 1 had a fairly unique style. Meanwhile the closest Digimon's ever gotten to an SRPG is, what, World 2? And Roguelikes are their own thing for the most part.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

They were competing against themselves a few years ago, arguably, Digimon World 1 had a fairly unique style. Meanwhile the closest Digimon's ever gotten to an SRPG is, what, World 2? And Roguelikes are their own thing for the most part.

Ryo's games are all SRPGs.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ryo's games are all SRPGs.
No, they are not.
Only Anode/Cathode actually had maps where you could move your Digimon around, the others are all standard "normal" RPG battle systems.

Tetsuya Suoh

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I had a similar reading on the longer lifecycles bit. With Kitaro and DB Super getting movies, the two previous holders of the current timeslot of Adventure:, I've been wondering if that means Adventure: goes on for longer than one would usually expect. No way of knowing now, but I think it's possible we see the series go past 66 episodes. After all, 66 was just the number Toei Animation Europe used to promote the series for licensing on their website, I doubt it's a concrete order of episodes from Toei in the first place. Then again, I should probably save this for after we get close to Episode 66 airing lol.

If they're different teams, then why did the director explicitly state that they would not be working on the next Story game until *after* survive> I know Bandai is a huge studio, but I don't think they'd devote multiple teams to a a series like Digimon which, lets face it, will always be niche compared to their larger anime-based licenses like Dragon Ball. Hell, Digimon will probably remain even more niche than their Tales series.
Second World may not have sold well, but we also know that they aren't abandoning it, as they also stated they hope Survive will become a third flagship Digimon series, alongside Story and World.

I mean I get it if they want to rotate series, like Survive>Story>World>Survive (assuming) it succeeds in becoming a flagship series)> repeat, with the clearly troubled development of Survive (even more troubled than can be explained simply by COVID, as it doesn't seem to have affected anything else Bandai has going as hard as Survive is struggling) then why not shift focus to the next Story game to give the Survive team time to sort out their issues, if it really is a different studio/team?

Last edited:

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know Bandai is a huge studio, but I don't think they'd devote multiple teams to a a series like Digimon which, lets face it, will always be niche compared to their larger anime-based licenses like Dragon Ball.

Super Robot Wars, a license a lot of people in the west don't really know exists and which has fairly mediocre sales in the grand scheme of things (its biggest hit, during the boom of the PS2, sold 700000 copies, which is impressive but not ridiculous - I'm fairly certain multiple Digimon games have sold better), currently has 5 teams working on it, and that's only because the mobile game the sixth were working on in collaboration with Sega got shut down and we don't know if they're on something else or got moved to other things.

Digimon having two or three teams is, in light of that, not that hard of a pill to swallow.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they're different teams, then why did the director explicitly state that they would not be working on the next Story game until *after* survive> I know Bandai is a huge studio, but I don't think they'd devote multiple teams to a a series like Digimon which, lets face it, will always be niche compared to their larger anime-based licenses like Dragon Ball. Hell, Digimon will probably remain even more niche than their Tales series.
Second World may not have sold well, but we also know that they aren't abandoning it, as they also stated they hope Survive will become a third flagship Digimon series, alongside Story and World.

Because what you are saying isn't correct.

We haven't heard from the director of any of these games in any notable way that is relevant to us. We heard from the 'producer'. And the quote you are thinking of was him specifically talking about them working on the Story game and it taking longer, so they were doing other 'smaller' games also, alongside the production of a new major 'Story' game (the first time this came up was when he was doing an interview for Hacker's Memory.)

Like, we specifically know the companies that made CS/HM and the one making Survive. They aren't the same developers or 'team'. Most people have assumed the same company that made CS would be making 'Next Story', whatever that ends up being called.