Adventure: Digivice: Announced!

digimon kaiser

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can’t believe they are making us wait to preorder the device when the show premiers in april

Snix

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That’s a fair point, I work retail and I have lots of things not coming in because of Covid-19. I assumed the delay was because of that to begin with, it’s just disappointing they didn’t actually announce it rather they needed to be asked About it directly. I have had pleasant dealing with them in the past.

Unrealx206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember pre 2014 when used Digivices and V-Pets (D-Cyber, Pen X etc) would cap out at $60. Now you're lucky to find one at that price

Ha, yea I'd love a D-Cyber or Pen X for $60 right about now.

digimon kaiser

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The closest thing we had to a vpet style show based digivice was the ic digivice based on savers

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I
After all this years, still no color lcd? Kinda dissapointed.
I’m with you on this- I’m sure it costs a fraction of the amount to produce than they are charging, and that it is still very simple in concept and design. I really like digimon, but wish they had started producing colour pets years ago. They’ve made backlit colour tamagotchis for years (though not my thing), and sell them for a very similar price. I feel they are taking advantage of people’s affection for the brand with this pricing for quite a few years now.
I'm willing to forgive that it's a black and white lcd if it seemed like a legitimately advanced piece of work. Like the Digital Monster Xs look like the old 1999 v-pets but design wise they do so much more and have so much more content. Right away it looks like an improvement over the original, if only marginally so.

Bandai hasn't really sold me on this with what they've shown. It looks like a new skin for an old toy. I suppose it's still early but even in terms of marketing,I feel like what they've shown will diminish interest in the toy. Also, the price point seems to be aimed at us older fans with money to throw at it but admittedly that concerns me too. Growing up we loved the v-pets and Digivice toys because they were designed for kids and sold for kids. This feels like it wasn't designed for kids coming into the show fresh and new like we had 20 years ago. This Digivice: feels like a curated experience aimed solely at an audience that can recognize that it's digimon and wants to buy it purely based on that aspect alone. It's a toy second and primarily a collection piece first and that's not fun in the same way.
I love my X2 and it's definitely an improvement over the classic v pets but not that much of an improvement, specially for the average person. The tamagochis on the other hand, as modern as they are now, are still somewhat retro but at least in a way that has a certain charm and that you can see enough improvement and innovation over the years to justify it's price. On the other hand, V pets and digivices simply feel too outdated and depend too much on loyal fans to justify it's existence.

Personally, all I want from the upcoming devices is a color screen, upgraded sprites, a slightly deeper battle and training mode and maybe an integrated light to see in the dark. That's all. Heck, I can even live without the upgraded sprites.

Last edited:

DigitalCowboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really hope this isn't based on shaking/pendulum's like the original. Also would have preferred a backlight over improved sound effects/color LED effect lights.

SAI

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An early guess / prediction. I've noticed that a couple of times when Greymon used his Mega Flame in the reboot the Digivice: flashes a yellow ring. On the front page translation it says the device will light up during evolution and when skills are used. So I wonder if Digimon's Finishing moves are going to be the mentioned skill feature. Although, i'm not happy about them reusing those ancient 1999 Digimon sprites and no color / back lit screen I'm somewhat intrigued about this new skills feature and how it will effect battle.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really hope this isn't based on shaking/pendulum's like the original.
how else would you want the gameplay to work out? let the device idle then beep when there's a enemy nearby like the data squad digivice did? there's a reason why they made it a pendulum style, so you can walk outside and lose that weight you gained from quarantine

DigitalCowboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really hope this isn't based on shaking/pendulum's like the original.
how else would you want the gameplay to work out? let the device idle then beep when there's a enemy nearby like the data squad digivice did? there's a reason why they made it a pendulum style, so you can walk outside and lose that weight you gained from quarantine
How else would I like gameplay to work out? With a little more imagination perhaps... they've done the pendulum already and beaten it into the ground mate.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
dunno what you expect. don't fix what ain't broken.

SAI

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's a rule in nature. Whatever doesn't grow decays, Or whatever doesn't adapt and evolve gets left behind by the advancements of time. Sure the Pendulum worked in the past but it's been around for ages, literally since 1999. You can't blame someone for getting bored and wanting something new at this point. Imagine if Nintento kept releasing the 1985 version of Super Mario Bros as their main new title for each system? Forget Super Mario world, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Odessy ect. Just re releases of Super Mario Bros 1985 each new system. I doubt the Super Mario fan base would be as big and loyal as it is today if they did.

Nintendo focuses on evolving the Super Mario experience each generation of gaming. ( and it really pays off ) Which is what some of us believe Bandai should be doing with the Digimon V-pets that's all.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

If you don't fix what ain't broken we would have never gotten things like jet engines, etc.

That has already been done. V-Pets have been effectively replaced by various games and apps that do similar things, or have long since grown past what a V-Pet was.

At this point the market for V-Pet type devices is collectors, people who want the fun they had as a child, or people who are newly discovering it and want that old style experience.

Devices like the X V-Pets, etc. 'have' been the thing adding more to the old style experience.

Comments about evolving them to some crazy degree ignores that the market for such a thing isn't there. The example above of Mario ignores that Mario has been a huge thing basically from the beginning, and never really slowed down in interest.

That has never been true of V-Pets, and there is minimal likelihood of it happening now.

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

If you don't fix what ain't broken we would have never gotten things like jet engines, etc.

That has already been done. V-Pets have been effectively replaced by various games and apps that do similar things, or have long since grown past what a V-Pet was.

At this point the market for V-Pet type devices is collectors, people who want the fun they had as a child, or people who are newly discovering it and want that old style experience.

Devices like the X V-Pets, etc. 'have' been the thing adding more to the old style experience.

Comments about evolving them to some crazy degree ignores that the market for such a thing isn't there. The example above of Mario ignores that Mario has been a huge thing basically from the beginning, and never really slowed down in interest.

That has never been true of V-Pets, and there is minimal likelihood of it happening now.
Personally I don't see any game or app as an actual new V Pet. I also can't see how anyone can assure there isn't a market when it hasn't even been tried properly, and if you consider the games and apps as "successors" well, there is actually a market since many games and apps have been more popular than the actual V pets even if they don't sell like crazy because V pets sell even less. Mario isn't the only franchise that one can use as an example, many smaller franchises evolved with time and found more and more fans, like the Fire Emblem or Metal Gear series, and sure, there will always be purists that say that it isn't ( insert franchise name) anymore, but many fans are happy with the evolution of the series and many new ones get into it too. I'd say it's better to say to agree to disagree and not to handle any of this as an objective matter since people have their preferences.

For me, I'd like to see a considerable evolution on something I have known and enjoyed since I've been a child that at this point it's getting stale because it isn't offering anything new. Not a complete overhaul, just a deeper system and a bit more of technology involved.

SAI

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Mario being way more popular than Digimon V-pets is very true. Can't argue with that. Mario appeals to a greater more general audience. However,that wasn't my point. My point was that every successful brand big or small focuses on consistant improvement if it wants to keep it's fan base engaged. The Tamagotchi V-pet brand chose to take the route of continuing to evolve over time and the market for them is going strong right now. Even in the US. Who know's how the Digimon V-pets could have evolved over the years if Bandai had the same attitude towards the Digimon v-pets as it does Tamagotchi.

You can't say the Digimon V-pets have been successfully replaced by video Games and apps either. ( There currently isn't even any games or apps out now that offer a true Digimon V-pet experience. The Digimon World series is close but it's still not a full V-pet experience. ) People wouldn't still be buying them if they were successfully replaced. Bandai would have stopped making them completely by now. Heck even the Digital Monster Ver. 20ths have done extremely well in the US. Enough to warrant more releases in the past year. Bandai must be turning some sort of profit. So yes, there is a market for Digimon V-pets. Be it big or small. And The only way to keep that market alive is to give the costumers a reason to keep buying by improving over time. Not by reissuing the same device with the same old sprites over and over. That's a good way to kill a brand.

Now when we say evolve the Digimon Digivice/ v-pets we don't have some impossible vision of grandeur. Just some small improvements we wish we had back in the day. Like simply a color screen / backlit screen and some improved features ect. A small request but not an impossible one that isn't already being done with other current brands. Like I've said many times look at the current Tamagotchi On being sold right now. For $50 you get a full color back lit V-pet with way more features and can communicate with an app to expand the game play even further. Meanwhile Bandai JP is giving us this Digivice:. A seemingly no color retooled Digivice Ver 15th for $80 that's using the same sprites that have been around since 1999. ( I don't even know how Bandai can justify that price. )

So clearly, a Color V-pet can be made for an affordable price and If people are going to buy a retro retooled Digivice for $80 I don't know why they wouldn't buy a modern color one for $50.

That's why I strongly believe There is a market for a Color Digivice / V-pet. I think the fans would react very well to one too As long as it doesn't stray to far from the elements that made us like them in the first place. The only reason I believe the Xros Loader Failed ( The only color Digivice ever released ) Was because like Digimon Frontier, it and the anime it represented strayed to far from the core elements of Digimon. That's the only reason I didn't buy one. If it had functioned like a traditional Digivice / V-pet I would of been all over it and I
believe it would of been a major success with other V-pet Digimon fans to this day.

Real simple. Keep the core elements of a traditional Digivice / Digimon V-pet, Give it a color back lit screen , add some improved or expanded features, maybe have it connect to an app like Tamagotchi on. charge $50 - $ 100 and call it a day. That way they'd satisfy the older fans looking for something new and at the same time keep the new fans from getting bored.

And If you use people like me as an example I'll be right over time, even the new fans who are currently satisfied will get bored in time if Bandai doesn't offer something new at some point. Maybe not now, but someday. I know cause I used to be one of those hyper new satisfied fans. I've been a really big Digimon V-pet fan since the early early 2000's. Basically when it began. Back in the day I'd rather get a Pendulum X than a new Xbox that's how much I loved them lol

I've been playing these things for years and I can tell you they haven't changed at all. So, I don't have that thrill the new fans have just coming in, When I see all these current releases like the Digital Monster X or this new Digivice: ect. I don't see something new and exciting. I see an old similar relic I've already played decades before. Bandai has killed my interest at this point, because like I mentioned in my comment about Mario. They didn't keep evolving the experience to keep me engaged. So if this burn out can happen to a die hard Digimon V-pet fan like me I believe it can happen to others and I think other people voicing a similar opinion to mine are coming from a similar place.

Last edited:

Omnimon Zwart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wow. This looks really nice. These digivice are supposed be double the size of the original ones, right?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's a fair question. There's plenty of content missing from this thread on the new device.
If something was missed here or in later updated articles, feel free to share.