Adventure: Digivice: Announced!

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was this ever confirmed or is that just everyone's speculation? For me, all signs point to this being purely a nostalgia grab project. No kids are going to care who these characters are. If it were really Digimon for a new audience, they'd have no issue with going the Tokusatsu/Precure route with new characters every season. Like, is there even a toy line?
There is a nostalgia factor, but they will also try to attract kids (it's likely one of the main factors).

In the case of kids, it wouldn't be different that they use Adventure characters or new characters. So, Adventure 2020 isn't so different from a first season in a Tokusatsu or Precure route.

That's a fair point, but with most other kids' franchises, like Tokusatsu/Precure/Pokemon, we still have (role-play) toys for kids and the "adult" versions of toys that are online exclusives. The fact that there doesn't seem to be any toy line is rather disconcerting. Stickers, jigsaw puzzles and other things don't really seem like something for a core demographic.
If I'm not mistaken, most anime toy lines for kids are released after the anime started.

So, maybe it is too soon to say it won't be toys for kids.

PS: One question, how much a Digivice V-Pet cost in Japan in 1999?

Last edited:

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That misses the point that it's nostalgia either way. That one option you find 'better' doesn't make it any less a thing based on nostalgia.

Of course, nostalgia isn't inherently bad (and the franchises you gave examples of are other franchises that tend to do variations on a theme heavily, same as Digimon tends to.) Presenting it as somehow inherently bad, as you have a habit of doing, feels a bit odd, when you've argued heavily for making Digimon toys more akin to Transformers Masterpiece in the past, at least as I recall (which is a line that effectively only exists for nostalgia.)

In fact, I remember you really wanting CSA releases of Digivices from other early seasons when a tri. one came out, which... the only reason for Bandai to make and sell those is to sell to those with nostalgia. If they did CSAs of a number of early Digivices I'd probably snap them up. But they'd only exist to sell to nostalgic fans.
Perhaps I wasn't really clear. Yes, nostalgia isn't inherently bad. However, focusing on nostalgia at the expense of progress (e.g. color screen) or good storytelling (e.g. tri.) isn't a good thing. It's basically a crutch that panders to that built-in demographic. The CSA Digivices are a great example of a good nostalgia product as it gave fans something they never had back in the day, improving on the original and providing a show-accurate experience. The Masterpiece line of toys, especially the Beast Wars figures, similarly gives fans high-quality and far more accurate representations of characters whose original figures weren't that good. Same goes for the Digivolving Spirits line of figures. I was skeptical at the start, but they won me over, especially after hearing that some of the design decisions they made were intentional. In the case of the Digivices and V-Pets, a color screen would go a long, long way in improving the experience.

In the case of kids, it wouldn't be different that they use Adventure characters or new characters. So, Adventure 2020 isn't so different from a first season in a Tokusatsu or Precure route.
Except it really isn't. Cure Black and White (and all the other Precure) have appeared in movies and some episodes via cameos, but they don't have a brand new season where they are the main characters again. Same goes for all the various Tokusatsu shows. If we have another crossover episode like the one in Xros Wars, are they going to have two versions of Taichi meeting each other?

If I'm not mistaken, most anime toy lines for kids are released after the anime started.
Nope. Toy lines are planned and sometimes leaked way in advance. Not to mentioned previewed during toy fairs/exhibitions.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except it really isn't. Cure Black and White (and all the other Precure) have appeared in movies and some episodes via cameos, but they don't have a brand new season where they are the main characters again. Same goes for all the various Tokusatsu shows. If we have another crossover episode like the one in Xros Wars, are they going to have two versions of Taichi meeting each other?
My point is kids won't see Adventure 2020 different from other a first seasons in a Tokusatsu/Precure route.

Toei could use Adventure 2020 as a starting point for the anime (and continue it in a Tokusatsu/Precure route). For example: Kamen Rider Kuga (re)started the Kamen Rider franchise.

It could be two Taichi in a movie that use many Digimon leaders of the past.

Nope. Toy lines are planned and sometimes leaked way in advance. Not to mentioned previewed during toy fairs/exhibitions.
You're right. Toy lines are planned.

However, it is still possible there are toys of Adventure: exclusively to kids. We still don't know.

Now, this Digivice: may be expensive, but that doesn't neccesarily say anything about the main audience.

One of the first toys of Kamen Rider Zero One (a TV series mainly directed to kids) was a toy at 7,678 yen.

Last edited:

Wendigomon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I
After all this years, still no color lcd? Kinda dissapointed.
I’m with you on this- I’m sure it costs a fraction of the amount to produce than they are charging, and that it is still very simple in concept and design. I really like digimon, but wish they had started producing colour pets years ago. They’ve made backlit colour tamagotchis for years (though not my thing), and sell them for a very similar price. I feel they are taking advantage of people’s affection for the brand with this pricing for quite a few years now.

totentanz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I
After all this years, still no color lcd? Kinda dissapointed.
I’m with you on this- I’m sure it costs a fraction of the amount to produce than they are charging, and that it is still very simple in concept and design. I really like digimon, but wish they had started producing colour pets years ago. They’ve made backlit colour tamagotchis for years (though not my thing), and sell them for a very similar price. I feel they are taking advantage of people’s affection for the brand with this pricing for quite a few years now.
I'm willing to forgive that it's a black and white lcd if it seemed like a legitimately advanced piece of work. Like the Digital Monster Xs look like the old 1999 v-pets but design wise they do so much more and have so much more content. Right away it looks like an improvement over the original, if only marginally so.

Bandai hasn't really sold me on this with what they've shown. It looks like a new skin for an old toy. I suppose it's still early but even in terms of marketing,I feel like what they've shown will diminish interest in the toy. Also, the price point seems to be aimed at us older fans with money to throw at it but admittedly that concerns me too. Growing up we loved the v-pets and Digivice toys because they were designed for kids and sold for kids. This feels like it wasn't designed for kids coming into the show fresh and new like we had 20 years ago. This Digivice: feels like a curated experience aimed solely at an audience that can recognize that it's digimon and wants to buy it purely based on that aspect alone. It's a toy second and primarily a collection piece first and that's not fun in the same way.

Neilandio

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated levels? I hope this doesn't mean we are gonna get more pointless levels or that some digimon will have their levels retconned.

Digitalguy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated levels? I hope this doesn't mean we are gonna get more pointless levels or that some digimon will have their levels retconned.
Hey gotta market new forms somehow. :p

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a toy second and primarily a collection piece first and that's not fun in the same way.
I just want to ask, but what’s wrong with this exactly? Not being fun in the same way would mean it’s fun in a different way, right?

The updated level stuff might refer to different evolution lines or something like that, but I think the more important part of that description is the mention of updated monsters from the series. I’m assuming that means we’re getting more enemy Digimon in this instead of Veedramon, for example.

SAI

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On one hand It's awesome that this Digivice is getting some of the features that the CSA digivices got. I was just thinking a couple of months ago how awesome it would be if Digivices and v-pets lit up and played music during battle and evolution ect. I'm also intrigued about the " lights up when using skills " mentioned. As a skills mechanic would be a nice upgrade to the battle system and refreshing.

On the other hand while I'm very thankful whenever we get a new Digivice / v-pet release ( especially after the 2010 - 2017 drought )
this so far feels like it's a very very lazy nostalgia grab for the older audience for a number of reasons.

One: The most jarring thing that hit me as soon as I opened this article was seeing the old Agumon Lcd. Since this Digivice represents
the Digimon reboot, couldn't they start from scratch creating something totally new instead of using really old sprites? Don't get me wrong either, I love the old Digivice and v-pet sprites but it'd really like to see something new and I don't think the older V-pet collector community this clearly seems to be aimed at would argue against something new at this point either. Especially since we've seen these sprites in a handful of Digivice Ver 15th reissues already. At this point I'd like to see something truly inspired and something to really evolve the Digivice / v-pet experience. which brings me to my next point.

Two: Yet again no color. For non v-pet fans I know it's like " big deal shut up " but for the v-pet fans of the Digimon community
it really is and it's not that outlandish of a request , costly or unspeakable. Tamagotchi v-pet fans have been enjoying full color back lit
experiences for years in Japan and now even American Tamagotchi fans have color devices. Meanwhile Digimon V-pet fans
are still playing with black and white lcds that they can't even play in the dark without a night light. I personally feel kinda
silly playing something so archaic in 2020 and unfortunately it's led me to stop playing Digimon V-pets recently. It's cool that this device can play music and light up but really I'd rather be able to walk outside at night and still be able to play my game. Or even better. Implement Music, lights and a back lit color lcd.

I understand Bandai's methods.....It's all about the money. As it should be, a company needs funds to run. Nothing shameful about that. I'm also fully aware that the V-pet market for Digimon is really really niche and modern kids aren't looking for these types of toys anymore. But Bandai has found a new market for them in adult collectors ( which I'll get to more in a second. ) and I believe Bandai is being a little lazy towards them. In my opinion of coarse I don't speak for everyone in the V-pet community.

So the problem began with The Xros Loader device released in 2010. it was a full color Digivice game aimed at kids with a high price point and from what I gather it must have some what flopped hard because Bandai hasn't attempted something so grand since ( which makes me think Bandai has since become afraid to attempt a color lcd again.) Plus the flop seemed to actually led to a total Digimon V-pet drought all the way into 2017.

( Yes I know there wasn't any Digimon anime in that gap thus you could argue the lack of Digivices and V-pets, but I argue that it had nothing to do with why there were no V-pets. There was a gap between Frontier and Savers where there were at least three V-pet lines that ran without the aid of an anime to back it up. So the drought from 2010 - 2017 drought makes me believe Bandai realized modern kids weren't interested in V-pets and they didn't know who to aim the V-pets towards now or what to do with them. Leading to them abandoning the V-pet line for awhile. )

So here we are today, after the drought in 2017 Bandai took a chance with V-pet line by deciding to aim to the older audience instead of a younger new audience with the Digital Monster Ver.20th nostalgic grab and Bandai was greeted with moderate success. Thus Bandai has stayed in this comfort zone for the past couple of years catering to Adult Digimon collectors. Not really taking any risk, releasing similar style v-pets without doing anything too groundbreaking while still turning a profit.

This is both good because yes we are getting new V-pets and also bad because they really haven't released something really NEW.
Yes the Digital Monster X has excellent new improved game play ( the level system is brilliant ) but it still feels like something that could of came out in the early 2000's.

They are using similar sprites, similar battle systems, and Bandai has even gone back to the prong connector style, which in my opnion is a step backwards as they had Infrared connectors all the way back in 2007 with the Digimon Twin Line. I guess that's my problem. The Digimon V-pets seem stagnant at this point and I fear how long can you keep reselling the same bike before the tires fall off. Most of the V-pet fans seem happy at this point but how long until more and more go " Meeh " and with each release as I read the comments I see
more and more V-pet fans getting bored of the same old same old. Bandai needs to realize even the nostalgic audience they are aiming at will appreciate something new and pay for it if the experience warrants it. YES we all enjoyed the Digital Monster Ver. 20th. It was nostalgic fun and In my opinion it's still the best release since 2017 because it was a respectful way to honor the origin's of Digimon. Like the creatures the series is about I want the adult collector V-pets to SHINKA lol Not unlike other adult collector lines like TMNT and He-MAN where they take the old toys and they really revamp them. Giving the adult collectors something more advanced and something they couldn't get when they were kids. This Digimon V-pet collector line is one of the only adult collector lines I've seen that offers products that are as primitive as the ones the collectors bought as kids.

and to reiterate my original point this new Digivice: Doesn't seem like a " Next Level " product. It feels like a comfort zone, We know you'll buy this product so we won't strain ourselves product and this new digivice is obviously aimed at the adult collectors. I mean c'mon. At that price point and being black and white, Do you think Bandai really thinks they could sell such a thing to kids in 2020 with all the new apps and video games. And since it's clearly aimed towards the adult collectors I think they should of put more energy into it. like they did the Card game. Which in my opinion is truly a great way to start re branding digimon and bringing in new people. Props to the card game.

This is a long long rant that's been long coming. With each release announcement since the Pendulum Ver. 20th I've felt let down. I usually just shrug and don't say anything but Just seeing that reused Agumon sprite in this new Digivice: just urked me so much of laziness from Bandai I just had to rant. Every time Bandai says a new device is coming some part of me since the time the first color Tamagotchi came out can't stop hoping for a color V-pet and goes " THIS COULD BE IT! " and each time I have to swallow my excitement when yet again it's a black and white nostalgia grab.

There was a time in the early 2000's when each Digimon V-pet line felt like a major upgrade from the last one. If there's a feeling of nostalgia i'd like Bandai to pander to me it's that excitement of hearing about a totally new and improved V-pet again.

I don't speak for everyone into digimon v-pets. A bunch of people love the black and white devices they've been putting out recently. but I feel if more Digimon v-pet fans feel like me we need to start vocalizing it. Via the surveys Bandai puts out and in comment sections ect. That's the only was Bandai will get the point. I truly believe the older audience of fans collecting V-pets would appreciate it and would pay for something inspired.

If they don't do something really new in the foreseeable future I see the current audience they're aiming the v-pets to getting bored and I've seen it in various places already. Here, Reddit, youtube Ect. small amount of people starting to saying small little gripes like" I'll get it but c'mon this again " that could over time turn into. " Nah, I'm not buying that! " . and in the end I'd hate for Bandai to put out a new uninspired V-pet or device in the future, do bad in sales, shrug and put the V-pet line into another 7 year or worse drought or just end the line entirely which would be sad.

Last edited:

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is this just another replica or does it have a digimon to raise inside it?
this isn't a v-pet to raise. it's the kind you go on a adventure with so basically a self contained story based on the 2020 digimon anime reboot

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is this just another replica or does it have a digimon to raise inside it?
this isn't a v-pet to raise. it's the kind you go on a adventure with so basically a self contained story based on the 2020 digimon anime reboot
Oh ok well in that case ill probably give it a miss. I just want another v pet like the old days like how they had them in the series digivices not just the blocks.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
don't think you'll get a anime style digivice that plays like a v-pet anytime soon. there's a reason why anime style digivices plays like a adventure game and the non-anime style digivice ("blocks") are a v-pet you can take care of. they're trying to separate the two

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
don't think you'll get a anime style digivice that plays like a v-pet anytime soon. there's a reason why anime style digivices plays like a adventure game and the non-anime style digivice ("blocks") are a v-pet you can take care of. they're trying to separate the two
Oh fair enough I guess I'm gonna have to buy an older one problem is they are so expensive. I do wish they could do 1 more though.

Snix

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is cool as hell but with how badly the Australian dollar is trading right now I’m
Not sure I’ll be able to afford one anytime soon.

Unrealx206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is cool as hell but with how badly the Australian dollar is trading right now I’m
Not sure I’ll be able to afford one anytime soon.
Mind you if you can't afford one sooner, it'll be harder later.

XDragon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mind you if you can't afford one sooner, it'll be harder later.
God the Digimon resell market has gone to hell these last five years or so. I remember pre 2014 when used Digivices and V-Pets (D-Cyber, Pen X etc) would cap out at $60. Now you're lucky to find one at that price

Snix

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ve used Nippon Yassan for the last couple of X orders but they’ve dropped the ball lately. I’ll need to find someone else.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ve used Nippon Yassan for the last couple of X orders but they’ve dropped the ball lately. I’ll need to find someone else.
what do you mean? did they raise the price of item/shipping?

Snix

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
what do you mean? did they raise the price of item/shipping?
The stock hasn’t been arriving on time and they’ve been taking a while to respond to emails. I emailed mid last Month about the X3s and they only got back to me recently advising of stock delay.