Adventure: Digivice: Announced!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

We all knew it was coming, and we finally have the first details for a Digimon Adventure: Digivice toy/game. As we found out a few days ago when it was on display, it's called the Digivice: (just pronounced digivice.)

It will go up to pre-order at Premium Bandai on June 2nd for 8,800 yen (no standby page yet.) It will ship in November.

Update- Premium Bandai just put up a standby page. The image of the Digivice: itself is the same, but it shows it in the middle of the crest of courage, along with a product logo.

The standby page gives dates of 'both' June 2nd and June 20th for pre-orders. We expect this to be fixed shortly, as the 20th appears to be a clear typo (they refer to the 20th as a Tuesday, the Digimon Web Twitter tweeted the 2nd, etc.)

It features the updated design for the show, and features updated monsters and levels based on the story of the new animation.

When evolution happens and skills are used LEDs will light up and sounds will play.

So it sounds like it'll work roughly like the 15th Anniversary Digivices, but be updated for the new show.

More details to come for sure! Probably during DigiNavi later this week in fact...

Thanks to Mantan Web for details.

Update- Premium Bandai just put up a landing page

Update- Very high resolution versions of the Digivice: and a clean logo. Embedded images are smaller, but clicking them takes you to the large ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm extremely glad to see the Digivices return!

But around $80 dollars...

Considering the show's target younger audience, I'd expect such a toy to be more affordable and not solely a preorder.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Considering the show's target younger audience, I'd expect such a toy to be more affordable and not solely a preorder.
I would expect this is confirmation that Bandai simply knows that age audience is more likely to buy toys, etc. and the Digivice/V-Pet stuff is simply not something likely to be bought by that group in numbers that makes it worth doing. So make it a premium item for fans is the only way to do it.

I expect kids will be happier with the keychains they announced awhile back, or perhaps they will find a way to do a more kid friendly one at some point.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is this just another replica or does it have a digimon to raise inside it?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated with another image.

Mochizuki

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so so happy about this. I was thinking just yesterday about how awesome it would be if a Digivice with virtual pet also had LED lights and sound playing once digivolving etc.
A dream come true ;w; faster than expected hjgglksjdgdlh...! โ™ฅ

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Excellent! I'm a big fan of the minimalist design, but the inclusion of lights/sounds is icing on the cake. Very excited for this one.

I am a little curious about the size though; it seems really small in the anime promo images, but the display model we saw was kinda bulky. Hopefully it goes up on P-Bandai USA...

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looks pretty slick! It doesn't look like you can tell which way is up just by feel though. Anyone know if there will be a chain or clip or something that might help with that?

Unrealx206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
8800 yen *cries in AUD*

XDragon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I let the last digivice slip through my fingers.. I'm stoked for this

Unrealx206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm hoping it comes with a fair amount of improvements over the original, not just the lights and sounds but the actual gameplay and animations, better animations like the 15th Agumon and Garurumon colours at the very least would be a nice start.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I let the last digivice slip through my fingers.. I'm stoked for this
same. The Last Evolution device was beautiful but only being a roleplay toy with no games or pet raising hampered its appeal. Every time Bandai America on Facebook makes an English 20th Digivice post, some of the posts asking for feedback on potential new Digivices, there's a significant amount of people asking for an anime device so hopefully that gives interest for the company to have an English release for this new device

Last edited:

kintang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After all this years, still no color lcd? Kinda dissapointed.

perignonic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I was hoping for a D-Tector, but sure! Take my money!

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Was this ever confirmed or is that just everyone's speculation? For me, all signs point to this being purely a nostalgia grab project. No kids are going to care who these characters are. If it were really Digimon for a new audience, they'd have no issue with going the Tokusatsu/Precure route with new characters every season. Like, is there even a toy line?

After all this years, still no color lcd? Kinda dissapointed.
BUT MUH NOSTALGIA. We'll never see something like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was this ever confirmed or is that just everyone's speculation? For me, all signs point to this being purely a nostalgia grab project. No kids are going to care who these characters are. If it were really Digimon for a new audience, they'd have no issue with going the Tokusatsu/Precure route with new characters every season. Like, is there even a toy line?
I mean, even saying that ignores that they've done the Tokusatsu and Precure route before with Digimon for most of the history of the franchise. There is little evidence a potential audience has interest.

It is for kids, but they also aren't going to ignore a built in audience.
$80 Digivice- For adult fans.
$1.50 Gummy snacks that come with stickers, jigsaw puzzles, and other things that will come- For kids.

BUT MUH NOSTALGIA. We'll never see something like this:
I mean, throwing a color screen on a product someone remembers from 20+ years ago as a coat of paint is literally just nostalgia. (And realistically, that is basically the entire Digimon V-Pet market nowadays.)

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So happy about this!
Since we're only getting this in November, I wonder if there are a couple of new/spoiler evolutions in it...

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
$1.50 Gummy snacks that come with stickers, jigsaw puzzles, and other things that will come- For kids.
That's a fair point, but with most other kids' franchises, like Tokusatsu/Precure/Pokemon, we still have (role-play) toys for kids and the "adult" versions of toys that are online exclusives. The fact that there doesn't seem to be any toy line is rather disconcerting. Stickers, jigsaw puzzles and other things don't really seem like something for a core demographic.

I mean, throwing a color screen on a product someone remembers from 20+ years ago as a coat of paint is literally just nostalgia. (And realistically, that is basically the entire Digimon V-Pet market nowadays.)
As opposed to re-releasing them almost verbatim? This, I don't agree.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a fair point, but with most other kids' franchises, like Tokusatsu/Precure/Pokemon, we still have (role-play) toys for kids and the "adult" versions of toys that are online exclusives. The fact that there doesn't seem to be any toy line is rather disconcerting. Stickers, jigsaw puzzles and other things don't really seem like something for a core demographic.

As opposed to re-releasing them almost verbatim? This, I don't agree.
That misses the point that it's nostalgia either way. That one option you find 'better' doesn't make it any less a thing based on nostalgia.

Of course, nostalgia isn't inherently bad (and the franchises you gave examples of are other franchises that tend to do variations on a theme heavily, same as Digimon tends to.) Presenting it as somehow inherently bad, as you have a habit of doing, feels a bit odd, when you've argued heavily for making Digimon toys more akin to Transformers Masterpiece in the past, at least as I recall (which is a line that effectively only exists for nostalgia.)

In fact, I remember you really wanting CSA releases of Digivices from other early seasons when a tri. one came out, which... the only reason for Bandai to make and sell those is to sell to those with nostalgia. If they did CSAs of a number of early Digivices I'd probably snap them up. But they'd only exist to sell to nostalgic fans.

I'm not a huge V-Pet or Digivice LCD game person, if I end up getting this it'll largely be a shelf item, like the CSAs. I actually like and am a bit surprised that pre-orders will only be opening a couple months into the show, will let me know if it's worth it to me at that point.

And if the new show and products end up bad, plenty of other stuff for us all to do.

'hums waiting for FF7r'