Adventure: Comments from Director Kakudou & 2020 Producers (& Watanabe for the title)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure: Comments from Director Kakudou & 2020 Producers (& Watanabe for the title)

Comments from a few different people!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We have comments from a few different people associated with the Digimon franchise regarding the new anime series, Digimon Adventure:.

First up... Hiroyuki Kakudou, director of Digimon Adventure, Zero-Two, and X-Evolution (not to mention working on other arms of the franchise in various roles) has shared his thoughts on the new Digimon Adventure series on his website.

We have a translation of what he's shared regarding his thoughts on the new series.

I see the official announcement was made yesterday.

Since we're both working within the same Toei Animation company, I had heard the rumor that it was being done. Mitsuka-kun, the director (series director), came to me to personally greet me, but I answered him that because it's a reboot (※1), he should do it the way he likes it without worrying about the previous series. I haven't had any involvement in it since that interaction, so I have no idea on what it's about. Unlike back then, when the internet wasn't as spread, there were no smartphones or tablets, and only a certain group of people could connect to the internet, the situation now is completely different, and I'm sure that many of the settings that were used to fit the times back then can't be used anymore.
There may be many people now who don't know this, but the summer of 1999 was a time when people, who had grown up reading Nostradamus's prediction, were wondering if the endtimes were coming. That's why I think we began the story in summer even though the show itself began in the spring (※2). Circumstances like that could only be done because of the times back then. Maybe this new series will begin with the current feelings of the era that we're in now. I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds, as a viewer.
Image Thumbnail (custom)

The photo above is from the LE Digimon shop that opened in Shibuya Parco at the end of last year. It's being used for something else now, but it seems that they will be doing it again.
※1 I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a reboot and a remake. I guess if it's a one-shot that would be a remake, but a series is a reboot? If this project is a success and continues, would it be proper to be calling it a reboot?

※2 I've touched upon it in interviews in the past, but we had set the summer camp to begin on the last Sunday of the month of July at first. Nostradamus's prediction said it was to occur on the 7th month of 1999. But in the middle of the series, we got into a situation where we had to add one more episode, so we dragged it out to August 1st. As of now, the whole Nostradamus thing is forgotten, and August 1st became a date that was fitting of Taichi Yagami's name ('eight' gods, big 'one'), so I think it all came together in a good way.
If you want more info on the Nostradamus prediction he discusses, here is a relevant article from just prior to the year 2000 beginning.

A few additional bits from Director Kakudou via Twitter:
People were RTing his comments from May 2018 when he resigned from the (at the time untitled) new movie (Kizuna.) He has commented his stepping down was not involved with the new show, and that he doesn't believe the show was in the works at that time. [Translations of those comments can be found here.]

Him commenting that the official website for the new show is up, and that's he looking forward to it.

He links to an article with comments from the producers of the new show, and notes that he's looking forward to seeing how the new show ends up developing.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

On top of that, we have translations of the comments from the Natalie.mu article Kakudou links to with 2 of the producers of Digimon Adventure:

Producer Hiroyuki Sakurada (Toei Animation):
The historically famous "Digimon Adventure" anime will be broadcasted anew as a completely new story with the latest animation! The tale of the boy Taichi Yagami, his friends, Agumon, and the Digimon begins. The network sweeping over the globe, through cell phones and social media networks, will be the stage for a never before seen adventure! And will Tokyo, on the verge of a network crisis, be saved?! Please look forward to the new versions of Taichi, children, and Digimon!
Producer Matsuki Ehana (Fuji TV editorial section):
It's been 21 years since the first series in 1999. "Laptops," "I.T.," "Internet"...The growth of technology has brought the "digital" closer to us now, allowing us to broadcast a long-awaited new Digimon series! Electronic devices going out of control, fake news, massive power outages, etc... the various digital crises that the Digimon cause will be faced with flashy action by Taichi, Agumon, and co. We can only depict this "new Digimon Adventure" now because it's 2020! Please look forward to it!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Also, while not comments on the show itself, longtime Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe posted a specific thought on Twitter; he isn't sure how to shorten the title of the new anime. He runs through DigiAdColon, DigiColo, Colon, just calling this one DigiAd as was done for the original series... And then he wonders how everyone else will abbreviate it.

Some interesting thoughts about the new anime from people involved with the franchise (including how certain elements may compare to the original series.)

The teaser trailer and other information for Digimon Adventure: can be found here.

Thanks to onkei for the translations.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, I'm supposed to pronounce the colon in the title?

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can tell the name Digimon Adventure: is going to be confusing people for years to come already.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, I'm supposed to pronounce the colon in the title?
The full title would be said 'out loud' as 'Digimon Adventure' without saying the colon. He's referring to how Japanese fans (and staff) often give super short nicknames to shows, and he's wondering what this one will be called.

icomeanon6

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great stuff, thanks! I didn't know about the plan for a Nostradamus angle; that's fascinating. I also didn't realize just how precisely they timed the August 1st thing! It got in my head somehow that they picked that date when they made episode 21 because happened to be the date the first episode aired, but no, they made it work so that the viewers on August 1st see Taichi freaking out about it still being August 1st. Perfection!

I can tell the name Digimon Adventure: is going to be confusing people for years to come already.
We have scarcely begun to see the thousands and thousands of jokes that will be made about this title. I'm excited for that alone.

Last edited:

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oof, they really are just going for "Digimon Adventure:" huh. That's... a choice. I suppose DAC is an option for shortening, but that's more for the English speaking crowd.

icomeanon6

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oof, they really are just going for "Digimon Adventure:" huh. That's... a choice. I suppose DAC is an option for shortening, but that's more for the English speaking crowd.
Wait, DAC... DAC... That stands for Digital to Analog Converter... You've solved the mystery! :D

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We have scarcely begun to see the thousands and thousands of jokes that will be made about this title. I'm excited for that alone.
If I don't end up liking the show, I already have plans to call it Digimon Adventure Colonoscopy. ;)

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is reminding me of when Sega brought out a new game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series in 2006, and called it... Sonic the Hedgehog. Now people retroactively abbreviate that to Sonic '06.

Likewise, I doubt there'll end up being that much confusion over this. We already have people referring to the 1999 series as "Adventure 01".

KoreeluStromboli

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"If this project is a success and continues, would it be proper to be calling it a reboot?" Yes.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The best part, flashy animations.

SparkGold

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is reminding me of when Sega brought out a new game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series in 2006, and called it... Sonic the Hedgehog. Now people retroactively abbreviate that to Sonic '06.Likewise, I doubt there'll end up being that much confusion over this. We already have people referring to the 1999 series as "Adventure 01".
lol it reminded me of Xbox's last three consoles. The Wii U's poor sales should have been a lesson to companies that confusing names can be damaging

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Producer Hiroyuki Sakurada (Toei Animation):
The historically famous "Digimon Adventure" anime will be broadcasted anew as a completely new story with the latest animation! The tale of the boy Taichi Yagami, his friends, Agumon, and the Digimon begins. The network sweeping over the globe, through cell phones and social media networks, will be the stage for a never before seen adventure! And will Tokyo, on the verge of a network crisis, be saved?! Please look forward to the new versions of Taichi, children, and Digimon!
Producer Matsuki Ehana (Fuji TV editorial section):
It's been 21 years since the first series in 1999. "Laptops," "I.T.," "Internet"...The growth of technology has brought the "digital" closer to us now, allowing us to broadcast a long-awaited new Digimon series! Electronic devices going out of control, fake news, massive power outages, etc... the various digital crises that the Digimon cause will be faced with flashy action by Taichi, Agumon, and co. We can only depict this "new Digimon Adventure" now because it's 2020! Please look forward to it!
I like the fact that they are not only taking in today's smart devices and social networking sites into this adaptation but the problems that these bring as well, literally ripped from the headlines. This surely will be an interesting take on Adventure.

Imperial

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always saw Digimon Adventure as similar to Mobile Suit Gundam. I felt it was the origin of the different Digimon anime and could have sequels how the UC has many different series within the same timeline. And I felt that other projects like Frontier, Savers, and Tamers would be like the Gundam shows from different universes like G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Turn A, etc. I never thought they would reboot the original adventure especially when it still has avenues of storytelling that doesn't have to follow the original chosen children. We have different countries of chosen as well as the children of the chosen that I feel were RIPE for the picking after Taichi's LAST ADVENTURE. Ya know?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. There is excitement, but like I dunno.