Adventure: Character Art and Profiles

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s a real testament to the evocative power of the original character designs that they’re only made big changes to about half of the wardrobes, none of the digimon, and none of the faces, bodies or hairstyles. They all still ‘scan’ as the originals we know and love. Speaking of which, perhaps what’s most surprising is that they’ve returned to the traditional big-headed art style.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Patamon's profile (and maybe Agumon's) info makes it look like maybe the digimon retain their memories from the original series, but the kids are from a different alternate universe?

Waay back the intraining Digimon were like "We've been waiting for you...etc"? hmmm interested in how this will turn out

Doubt it but hope maybe see small cameos of 02 kids? xD

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Patamon's profile (and maybe Agumon's) info makes it look like maybe the digimon retain their memories from the original series, but the kids are from a different alternate universe?

Waay back the intraining Digimon were like "We've been waiting for you...etc"? hmmm interested in how this will turn out

No. I think the ancient war in the old Internet is a totally new backstory for this new continuity.

Agumon seems to have participated in an ancient war. The evolution of Patamon has an important role on that war. Also, I guess it could be related to Tailmon dissapearance.

Honestly, I really doubt the story of Adventure 2020 is connected to the original Adventure.

Redstar45

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

No. I think the ancient war in the old Internet is a totally new backstory for this new continuity.

Agumon seems to have participated in an ancient war. The evolution of Patamon has an important role on that war. Also, I guess it could be related to Tailmon dissapearance.

Honestly, I really doubt the story of Adventure 2020 is connected to the original Adventure.
Maybe a video game for old internet back in 2014 ?

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Takeru and Hikari can both sense things, that's really interesting. Also it sounds like Matt is similar to Ryu cause he's gone to the Digital World before Taichi and co.

Redstar45

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Takeru and Hikari can both sense things, that's really interesting. Also it sounds like Matt is similar to Ryu cause he's gone to the Digital World before Taichi and co.
I am definitely interested in Takeru & Hikari's power

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am definitely interested in Takeru & Hikari's power
I'm very happy that it seems in this canon they're putting clear emphasis on how unique Hope and Light are from the rest of the crests. Having unique powers that only they possess is very intriguing.

Yup I completely agree, especially from all the character descriptions which I welcome.

Redstar45

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm very happy that it seems in this canon they're putting clear emphasis on how unique Hope and Light are from the rest of the crests. Having unique powers that only they possess is very intriguing.
I hope rest of the crest will be having their own" unique" power in this universe.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was really hoping for some more drastic changes but the few tweaks the profiles are implying seem at least somewhat interesting.

Starting off with Yamato...
His role in the original, besides representing annoying loners and giving Taichi someone to contrast with, didn’t really amount to much when you really think about it. Besides the odd “My Digimon beat up this week’s enemy” (which everyone gets) his main contributions in the early part of Adventure were basically playing harmonica and being able to cook. His later family drama helped a bit but not much.
So it’s good to see that Adventuretweaks his role a bit; If he’s more of a veteran with more experience than Taichi then maybe he could be actually useful and the whole lone wolf thing could actually be at least partially justified.

And then we get to Takeru’s new “Intuition”. Apart from solidifying his connection to Hikari who’s usually the only one magically feeling stuff, this could, again, add dimension and opportunity to his character that didn’t really exist before. In Adventure his role was being a crybaby and it worked fairly well for the scenario of the kids having to survive in a fantasy world because it’s what little kids do and it provided a contrast to the other characters who dealt with the situation with more confidence.
But since it seems that Adventure⦂ isn’t that much about survival anymore (rightfully so; the original’s survival element were already so watered down that they didn’t amount to much), and jumping into the internet doesn’t seem to be much of a long term arrangement the concept of helplessness alone loses much its impact, so his character needs to find another niche to fill.

It also seems like they dialed Hikari’s general weirdness up a notch. She was always sensitive to the Digital World but you have to remember that in Adventure this was something that happened when the wall between the dimensions was weak and all that, which of course could be the case in the new series too but the interesting part is that here she’s “normally” acting weird, so probably for a long time already, maybe even her entire life. This could be interesting. But it does beg the question how her powers will be recontextualized in the new setting. In the original’s more “magical” fantasy based setting, her having weird mystical powers was weird but not completely unbelievable. But if Adventure goes for less fantasy and more science fiction and a more proper “digital” tone the whole light magic thing would stick out in a way that’s a bit more...clashing. So I do hope they change and reintegrate the concepts at work here.

There are not many surprises in the other character profiles, although I am slightly interested if Koushiro’s role will change at all now that in 2020 the other kids won’t be as completely ignorant of most computer technology.

But let’s talk about group dynamics in general. Adventure was one big journey with everyone in the same boat from the very beginning and also stuck in that boat together (most of the time at least). The new story could be much more loose in that regard and if handled well this could be nice.
In terms of group drama, Taichi’s character was so prominent that often other characters would get drowned out and if the series wanted to give other characters the focus it mostly did it by physically ripping the from the group, from Taichi and the rest. If hopping into the Internet is something more “casual” in our new story there could naturally be more distance in the group, more chances for characters to have adventures that don’t involve everyone else. While I don’t believe that the characters will get a full ensemble cast treatment or anything I do hope that character focus will be better managed this way.
One of the reasons tamers excelled at building up its characters was because it did not lump them together in a group all the time. They had their own stories, and while their paths crossed frequently, they only gradually became a “team”.
The flip-side of “casual” internet jumping is of course that this could lead to generally lower stakes and iterative episodic bs but I’m trying to concentrate on the positives here.

Moving onto the Digimon, the fact that the parts about their evolved forms focuses on the different tactical roles they could play in battles is a pretty good sign.

Otherwise the entire “battle in ancient times” thing is something I am ambivalent about but skewing towards positivity. Mostly because it is a backstory in which the Digimon actively did something whereas they were completely passive at every point in the original.
I’m a bit miffed that they are going for “and all the kids were there too!” somehow, but if the Digimon at least remember their past and are influenced by it then that could at least go a long way towards the Digimon having had an actual fucking life outside their roles as partners, something that Adventure always failed at in the past.

And could they be referencing the other continuity? I wouldn’t say it’s super likely but it would also be unrealistic to claim that it would be impossible or super unlikely.
It’s not a reboot of some hibernating eighties property, but something connected to a continuity that is alive and kicking right now and just had one of its biggest new stories released; that there might be a connection wouldn’t be a giant surprise, new audience or not.

Amandil7

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ancient war hmm, digging this concept and Takeru & Hikari both having some ESP is also interesting.

As for the designs, I'm glad they're not drastically different, seem like a good balance between maintaining the nostalgic feel of the old designs and still adding minor new bits here and there.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with these characters we have grown so accustomed to.

Hikarix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not that fond of some certain changes especially on Sora's (red and too much pink) part but by the description it seems that she at least has some type of personality again. I really missed that and hopefully they won't mess it up again, sideline the rest of the team for the bromance or pull an unreasonable, restricting epilogue (give the kids what they want) out of their hats to traumatise the audience.
And guess it will be hard for Hikari stans again, she'll get possessed on several occasions. Sweet.

Last edited:

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I hear “great war” in reference to Agumon, I’m only going to think about WarGreymon. MetalGreymon is a cyborg, too, so it being an evolution first attained during some war makes sense. I wouldn’t even be surprised if this war was used as backstory for Omegamon given the role knights in general have held in history. I’m not sure how relevant backstories like this one will be, but my takeaway is it’s just a reference.

Anyways, the characters look and sound good so far. Very excited to see how this is all executed.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It also seems like they dialed Hikari’s general weirdness up a notch. She was always sensitive to the Digital World but you have to remember that in Adventure this was something that happened when the wall between the dimensions was weak and all that, which of course could be the case in the new series too but the interesting part is that here she’s “normally” acting weird, so probably for a long time already, maybe even her entire life. This could be interesting. But it does beg the question how her powers will be recontextualized in the new setting. In the original’s more “magical” fantasy based setting, her having weird mystical powers was weird but not completely unbelievable. But if Adventure goes for less fantasy and more science fiction and a more proper “digital” tone the whole light magic thing would stick out in a way that’s a bit more...clashing. So I do hope they change and reintegrate the concepts at work here.
The "normally" acting weird could be Hikari's attitude after Episode 1. Character profiles seem to include things that are shown during the character interactions in the new anime (for example: Mimi causing problems).

As they mention an ancient war or Takeru's new "intuition", I think they will mantain the "magical" fantasy set just mixed with "digital" aspects (like Adventure original). At least, I hope it is the case, since I always like the "magical" set.

And could they be referencing the other continuity? I wouldn’t say it’s super likely but it would also be unrealistic to claim that it would be impossible or super unlikely.
It’s not a reboot of some hibernating eighties property, but something connected to a continuity that is alive and kicking right now and just had one of its biggest new stories released; that there might be a connection wouldn’t be a giant surprise, new audience or not.
A direct reference to original continuity isn't impossible, but I think it is unlikely. I mean, they likely want this story to stand alone.

A movie crossover is where they can likely generate a connection with original Adventure.

Redstar45

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The "normally" acting weird could be Hikari's attitude after Episode 1. Character profiles seem to include things that are shown during the character interactions in the new anime (for example: Mimi causing problems).

As they mention an ancient war or Takeru's new "intuition", I think they will mantain the "magical" fantasy set just mixed with "digital" aspects (like Adventure original). At least, I hope it is the case, since I always like the "magical" set.

A direct reference to original continuity isn't impossible, but I think it is unlikely. I mean, they likely want this story to stand alone.

A movie crossover is where they can likely generate a connection with original Adventure.
I am sure that they will be made nod or a reference to the 1999s series.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am sure that they will be made nod or a reference to the 1999s series.
Yeah. A nod or reference to the original Adventure could happen (in fact, it is pretty possible).

However, I doubt original Adventure will be directed mentioned, let alone playing a major role in Adventure 2020.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora's profile is a bit odd as she had to get her resolution in the original series to turn into the kind of girl they seem to describe here. Or perhaps I don't have the right idea about who she was supposed to be before the events of Adventure.

Other than that I like how they seem to recontextualize some of the quirks that the characters (Yamato) had or to bring in new elements to help highlight those quirks even further (Jou).

TK sharing Hikari's powers (assuming this is what the profiles are mentioning) is also a welcome twist as they always seemed equally special so TK not having special abilities was actually weirder than Hikari having them.

Overall, if anything felt a bit like a disappointment among all this info, it would be Togemon being mentioned here, since it is not really needed. Outside of the slight comedic value and the antithesis to what Palmon and then Lilymon stand for with their physical presence and combat styles, Togemon was always outshined by the various other bulky, giant monsters in the team and I would be pretty appreciative of a more direct link between Palmon and Lilymon being used in its place. Of course I had no reason to expect Togemon to be replaced in the first place, just something I'd personally like to see.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well they updated the designs to b more in tune with their crest and digivice colors. As for these hints in some profiles, it seems they decided to make it like the events of '99 really happened but something clouded digimon memories...

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The original poster showed what looked like the digital world proper, I'm hoping they do still end up going there, with this "internet" stuff just being the first arc conflicts, like in Tamers and Savers.
With these profiles, I think the Internet IS the Digital World. We already have a precedent with Appli Monsters's Net Ocean. Now I'm thinking future Digimon series that are not sequels to the ones we already have will use the Internet as the name of the Digital World.
Except it was confirmed in the Q&A of the March V-Jump issue that the forest seen in the poster/promo art was the Digital World, and the Internet we see in the trailer looks nothing like the natural scenery in the poster. So it definitely and like, very literally looks like the DW is a very specific place that is different from the rest of the Internet (just like in the old Adventure mythos), it's just that Psi doesn't seem to take place within the DW, it'll be more Hunters/Appmon-y where the Internet fulfills the role of the DigiQuarts/AR Field

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
loving sora's new look. so fresh.
a lot of them dress more like kids compared to their OG look