MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, it's certainly news!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Hiroyuki Kakudou, director of Adventure, 02, and X-Evolution (among a number of other positions in various Digimon releases) has announced on Twitter that he has resigned from the new Digimon project.

This is interesting, of course, because we were unaware he was working on it.

He made a number of tweets, which onkei has translated for everyone. Translations of his tweets are in quote boxes, after each is my interpretation of what he's saying.

About the new Digimon project. I've been asked to work on it, as a successive piece, as the director of the screenplay and I've been working on it since last year. However when the producers side-approved a submitted plot which I thought was incompatible with what the TV series had already established, I declared my resignation. From what I've heard of progress reports, they've decided to keep going with it still, so I definitely resign.

In this tweet he discusses how he's been working on it since last year, but the producers approved a different plot, and that he doesn't agree with it as he feels it doesn't fit with what was established previously (whether he is referring to story, tone, etc. he doesn't make clear.) He comments on his resignation and that based on what he knows this specific idea is still being used.

The producers have already acknowledged my resignation.

With the producers accepting his resignation he's officially off working on it.

The series director isn't the one who made the original concept, and even if the TV series concepts remained, it's not as if they will be explicitly stated anyway.

The movies made so far were broadcast back in their time, but they were made without my involvement, and I'm sure there are many people who can enjoy them without being bothered by what's already been established.

This is slightly less clear, but appears to be saying that the director of the upcoming series (no statement if it's TV or films/ovas like tri.) didn't make the 'original concept' (which appears to be a nod to the new series being an Adventure continuation.) He points out that even if everything from prior series' were used, there isn't any specific reason they'd be mentioned regardless.

As long as there isn't a different development with the new project, I will no longer be involved in it nor tweet about it anymore. However, I will continue to help with requests that involve the music, games, and figures.

This is just him saying the obvious, he doesn't plan to comment on something he isn't involved in (this has come up in the past when people have asked him questions about how the movies and games he didn't work on tie into Adventure.) He plans to continue his involvement with other aspects of the franchise, as he has.

A number of interesting bits, and it'll be interesting to see what ends up being announced. Kakudou wasn't involved with tri., and he's previously discussed his plans for an Adventure and 02 sequel that involved Digimon fighting aliens. We are unaware if the story he was helping develop for the new project involved that or not.

Prior information about the new Digimon project can be found here.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean it's hard to comment without seeing the final product, or even a bit of context, but it still made me feel disappointed.
Whatever this is it can't be worse than Tri... right? But I felt like Tri was missing someone who understood Adventure so I don't have a good feeling about this at all.

Togemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm definitely sad that he won't be involved, because I really love what he did with the lore in Adventure & 02 and from what I read of the translated novels and it would have been amazing to see him be involved with those characters once again. But of course, that doesn't mean that this upcoming project will suck, so there is no reason to write it off.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure the movie, Our War Game, Hurricane Touchdown, Diablomon Strikes back, and Tri were all just fine without Kakudou, so I'm not particularly bothered by his departure.

Still, interesting that he even was involved in this new project.

Neoagumon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Umm... i don't know what to think about this. I didn't know that Kakudou was implied in this new project. What would be the job of the director here?
Seki hiromi will be a producer in this project and she didn't resign... Is really strange (for japan) that this director say that on twitter.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's kinda sad, because X-Evo is my most favourite Digimon series (and I value Zero Two high too), so losing him isn't nice.

But it's good that a new Digimon series is coming, so our franchise won't die. Whether it will be about aliens, Gojira or something else. But I hope it's Appmon Two.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
so this is why Tri is shit... oh Yggdrasil, probably I won't cross my fingers for the next digimon project, since most likely it will be shit and most likely the TOEI producer nowadays has become shittier too.

It seems I can only count on Habumon for Digimon's better future...

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When this was first announced I was under the assumption that there was no way we'd be getting something as bad as tri. Now I'm not to sure. Best to keep expectations low I guess.

At least we've got the digimon games to look forward to. I feel that is where the series really shines right now.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is somewhat troubling, not because I think Digimon can't do well without Kakudou, but if he's resigning this soon after the project is announced then it doesn't bode well and hopefully it doesn't signal production issues down the line.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is somewhat troubling, not because I think Digimon can't do well without Kakudou, but if he's resigning this soon after the project is announced then it doesn't bode well and hopefully it doesn't signal production issues down the line.

He wrote a plot, they didn't want to use it. Rather than staying on board in some fashion he left. It's not that abnormal minus that he tweeted about it.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Keep in mind the plot he wrote could've been terrible or not fit what they were already doing with Tri.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Keep in mind the plot he wrote could've been terrible or not fit what they were already doing with Tri.
not really, Kakudou is the only one who know really well about Adventure. IMO if Tri's director will still make more, it's gonna ruin it more. Since, well, Motonaga Keitarou is quite famous for wrecking light novel's work with the anime he worked. Even though Kakudou kinda ruined 02, I still believe him more than another random person that doesn't know digimon at all.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

He wrote a plot, they didn't want to use it. Rather than staying on board in some fashion he left. It's not that abnormal minus that he tweeted about it.
Whoops, did not see that bit. :p

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
not really, Kakudou is the only one who know really well about Adventure.

Considering in his view

Since, well, Motonaga Keitarou is quite famous for wrecking light novel's work with the anime he worked.

Motonaga is relatively successful and in demand because he delivers what companies want, and what sells. It's why he's so often directs adaptions of other media.

He's working on two shows for this fall alone.

Solomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder what that would've been about.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting because Kakudou is basically impliying that if you enjoy tri. even considering it contradicts the original concept of Digimon (we can also guess the new series will either), you have shit taste. That explains why he refused to answer during several times when he was asked about tri. I'm glad the good taste hasn't died, at least not yet...Kakudou is the third personality involved in Digimon that hints, in a very subtle way, that tri. is nothing good. The first one was Habu in one of this CS interviews, he claimed the anime of Digimon nowadays didn't feel like Digimon anymore (referring to Appmon and tri. I assume). That's probably why he didn't include any new Digimon from tri. (or Appmon) in Hacker's Memory. The second one was Konaka, saying via Twitter that in case he is doing a sequel for Tamers in the near future, his concept wouldn't fit in the current Digimon anime production scheme, so he would definitely drop it down (implying tri. is a really different production compared to the previous series), and that taking decisions for the screenwriting of a project based on what fans want instead of doing it to make the plot consistent is not professional. The comment was made after he realized Toei was not interested in a new Tamers project for being busy with the current one (tri.). And now Kakudou. I'm glad because I'm in the same boat as these three guys. And this is definitely bad news regarding the new project.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The amount of stuff you've misinterpreted, and frankly imagined/made up, based on small comments from a few people is rather amazing.

It's basically on the line of a Joe Pesci parody.

arisniko1

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That bit with the Digimon fighting aliens could easily be a plot point in the new project if it's a continuation of 02/tri. if you notice that scene where Ordinemon made a huge cry beam amd they showed it going out in space. Maybe that was on purpose. Maybe the aliens see this beacon and the come to attack Earth. It sounds silly but eh well. So does the Digital Monsters thing lol.

Regardless the plot I still want this to be a continuation of Adventure/02 or even Tamers as I enjoy very much the characters over the next few seasons that followed...

Last edited:

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting because Kakudou is basically impliying that if you enjoy tri. even considering it contradicts the original concept of Digimon (we can also guess the new series will either), you have shit taste. That explains why he refused to answer during several times when he was asked about tri. I'm glad the good taste hasn't died, at least not yet...Kakudou is the third personality involved in Digimon that hints, in a very subtle way, that tri. is nothing good. The first one was Habu in one of this CS interviews, he claimed the anime of Digimon nowadays didn't feel like Digimon anymore (referring to Appmon and tri. I assume). That's probably why he didn't include any new Digimon from tri. (or Appmon) in Hacker's Memory. The second one was Konaka, saying via Twitter that in case he is doing a sequel for Tamers in the near future, his concept wouldn't fit in the current Digimon anime production scheme, so he would definitely drop it down (implying tri. is a really different production compared to the previous series), and that taking decisions for the screenwriting of a project based on what fans want instead of doing it to make the plot consistent is not professional. The comment was made after he realized Toei was not interested in a new Tamers project for being busy with the current one (tri.). And now Kakudou. I'm glad because I'm in the same boat as these three guys. And this is definitely bad news regarding the new project.

You really must hate Tri to get those interpretations of these messages.

Even if Kakudou wants to imply that Tri is different from the previous concept, he never implied that we (who like Tri) have shit taste. He probably respects different tastes and opinions.

I don't understand your opinion of Konaka message. At most, he is saying that his Tamer project wouldn't fit, because Toei is focus on a continuation for Adventure.

I don't read the interview of Habu, so I don't know what he meant (and I can not trust your interpretation about it).

I hope you enjoy "sharing the same opinion as these three people". For my part, I hope to enjoy this new project, as I enjoyed Tri.

Last edited:

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That bit with the Digimon fighting aliens could easily be a plot point in the new project if it's a continuation of 02/tri. if you notice that scene where Ordinemon made a huge cry beam amd they showed it going out in space. Maybe that was on purpose. Maybe the aliens see this beacon and the come to attack Earth. It sounds silly but eh well. So does the Digital Monsters thing lol.

Regardless the plot I still want this to be a continuation of Adventure/02 or even Tamers as I enjoy very much the characters over the next few seasons that followed...

An idea: The Mysterious Man teams up with the aliens. The aliens' first strike is to abduct the 02 kids so they can't interfere.
Note: This is a joke, inspired by and based on Theigno's joke in the thread "Teaser for new Digimon".

Last edited: