A deeper análisis between Ryo Akiyama and Milleniunmon

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im trying to put together a research about some concepts used to build the relationship between Ryo and Milleniunmon explored on the wonderswan games. Perhaps if there was an intention from the developers about making that milleniunmon's obsession with ryo and being his true partner. Also some philosophical questions about the existance of that digimon as being the other side of the coin, the light and dark, and milliniunmon existing because of ryo.
I was discusting this with a friend the other day and he made a parallel between the concept explored with the antagonist of mother 2. What are your thoughts about this? Do you have any info related or interview to the developers for an insight about if they based theese games in any other? Whould you compare the relathionship between ryo and milliniunmon with another?
I'm reading your answers! Edit:sorry for the ' on analisis, my keyboard is in spanish and the autocorrector was on

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are several threads on this subject on the forum. The most recent one is: https://withthewill.net/threads/question-about-milleniumon-and-akiyama-ryou.20237/
The thing is im not aiming about the time travel plot or discussing the fact that milleniunmon is or isnt ryo's partner or how was it made anyway. Im trying to figure out the philosophical concept explored on these games. About the intention of the developers in bending the story of the existance of mille and his obsession with ryo trying to figure out why he exists in the process.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess if they did explore any themes in the WonderSwan game it might be that even 'evil' Digimon don't always have to stay that way.

Millenniumon saying only Ryo's capable of defeating him either speaks to how powerful Ryo is to begin with (as a character created for the games), or that humans and Digimon who are partnered with each other have the same strength which probably manifest themselves in different ways.

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess if they did explore any themes in the WonderSwan game it might be that even 'evil' Digimon don't always have to stay that way.

Millenniumon saying only Ryo's capable of defeating him either speaks to how powerful Ryo is to begin with (as a character created for the games), or that humans and Digimon who are partnered with each other have the same strength which probably manifest themselves in different ways.
Or even that ALL Digimon have potential human partners and Millenniumon is the only one powerful enough to require having his human defeat him. Now that we know even Apocalymon has a partner, this is the explanation I choose to go with.

toranks77

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Or even that ALL Digimon have potential human partners and Millenniumon is the only one powerful enough to require having his human defeat him. Now that we know even Apocalymon has a partner, this is the explanation I choose to go with.
Apocalymon has a partner? What are you talking about? Apocalymon cannot has a partner. From a conceptual point of view, we have two aspects:
1. Official profile: Apocalymon is made of the negative feelings of human beings, or in other words, of everything bad that is on the Internet.
2. Adventure's Profile: Apocalymon is made up of the data of the digimons that became extinct during the process of evolution, and the negative feelings of the digimons that were defeated in combat.
The two profiles conclude the same thing: Apocalymon aims to purge the Digital World through a Big Bang.
Apocalymon cannot has a human partner.

PS: Apocalymon wasn't created by Millenniumon, and the Apocalymon from Ryo's games is just an artificial creation. I clarify this issue because there are many fans confused about it.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Apocalymon has a partner? What are you talking about? Apocalymon cannot has a partner. From a conceptual point of view, we have two aspects:
1. Official profile: Apocalymon is made of the negative feelings of human beings, or in other words, of everything bad that is on the Internet.
2. Adventure's Profile: Apocalymon is made up of the data of the digimons that became extinct during the process of evolution, and the negative feelings of the digimons that were defeated in combat.
The two profiles conclude the same thing: Apocalymon aims to purge the Digital World through a Big Bang.
Apocalymon cannot has a human partner.

PS: Apocalymon wasn't created by Millenniumon, and the Apocalymon from Ryo's games is just an artificial creation. I clarify this issue because there are many fans confused about it.
I'm assuming they meant Meicoomon as the reincarnation of Apocalymon in Digimon Adventure Tri. Which I would disagree with, since Meicoomon isn't Apocalymon, or even a reincarnation of Apocalymon, but just a Digimon with some of Apocalymon's data.

It's either that, or Apocalymon's silhouette showing up among the Digimon who wanted to be Ruki's partner in Tamers. I haven't rewatched it to check it, though, just read it on wikimon.

toranks77

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, that digimon could be anything xD
In any case, the Tamers movie also runs counter to the possibility that Apocalymon could have a human partner.

Last edited:

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why couldn't Apoclymon actually have a human partner?

Negativity alone does not prevent this. That he is portrayed as a villain trying to destroy everything is one thing. The second thing is that the potential connection with a person is not always related to the actions of both participants.
We don't know according to which key a certain Digimon is put together with a certain person. All we know is that it is a bond that is beneficial for both of them. So even the poorest Digimon can have a partner, for example, as the opposite, which balances him. If we speak within the philosophy of maintaining balance.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Negativity alone does not prevent this. That he is portrayed as a villain trying to destroy everything is one thing. The second thing is that the potential connection with a person is not always related to the actions of both participants.
We don't know according to which key a certain Digimon is put together with a certain person. All we know is that it is a bond that is beneficial for both of them. So even the poorest Digimon can have a partner, for example, as the opposite, which balances him. If we speak within the philosophy of maintaining balance.
Apoclymon sort of had a human partner in a sense...In tri Meiko's partner Meicoomon had a piece of Apoclymon's data which I think would be the closest circumstance where Apoclymon with a human partner.

toranks77

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The Apocalymon of Adventure is the physical manifestation of the idea of non-evolution. It is a being that wishes to purge the Digital World. It is not even a digimon as such. In the novel, Kakudo explain that Apocalymon is really somewhere else, that this is just a physical body that he uses to communicate. How could an IDEA have a tamer? It just doesn't make sense. It's like when in games you can have a SkullGreymon... is just a savage digimon with no ability to reason, its only objective is to destroy, it doesn't make sense that it could have a tamer.

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The Apocalymon of Adventure is the physical manifestation of the idea of non-evolution. It is a being that wishes to purge the Digital World. It is not even a digimon as such. In the novel, Kakudo explain that Apocalymon is really somewhere else, that this is just a physical body that he uses to communicate. How could an IDEA have a tamer? It just doesn't make sense. It's like when in games you can have a SkullGreymon... is just a savage digimon with no ability to reason, its only objective is to destroy, it doesn't make sense that it could have a tamer.
Well, as far as SkullGreymon is concerned, it's a question of the script. If the story requires it, he will have a partner. So is SkullGreymon's personality. Soul. Emotion. BlackWarGreymon... how could the tower have feelings? And if I remember correctly, it was explained that it was an anomaly. Or in Re: Arise, the data fragments realized themselves. And if the residual data is conscious, then what is the main one?

Hm... A partner can be an executor of an idea. But what if the idea is self-aware? There seem to be very thin boundaries in the Digital World. Data is information, can information be aware? According to some theories, our planet is also a fully conscious being. So while it may sound crazy, it's not completely impossible.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon being described as "mindless" in the profiles is ignored all the time in adaptations. Just see Andromon, who is described as lacking will or emotion, but that's definitely not the case in any adaptation it's been in (with the current anime being the possible exception).

I also believe there's the idea that a skilled enough tamer could, well, "tame" the more savage digimon. That's the reason why in the profiles Tyranomon is docile and Greymon is extremely aggressive: the former is easier to tame and the later is only for the more skilled tamers. I guess the same applies in more extreme cases like SkullGreymon. I also believe that's the entire reason Meicoomon was partnered to Meiko in Tri: so that the influence of a human tamer could counteract Apocalymon's data.

To bring this conversation back to Milleniummon, I was under the impression digimon partners in the Adventure-verse were created specifically for their human partners, but Milleniummon's creation was an accident and Ryo only got involved later. Would that make the specifics of their partner-relationship far different than any other human-digimon pair in the Adventure-verse? Are they even partners in the same way Taichi and Agumon are?

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The partners in 02 just pop into existence in the end. Tri also retcons Agumon into being the Hikarigoaka Agumon, too.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The partners in 02 just pop into existence in the end.
Which just further supports that they're created for each human. Remember Pipimon said he's been waiting for Oikawa this whole time.
Tri also retcons Agumon into being the Hikarigoaka Agumon, too.
One of my least favorite retcons in the series, but even then, Agumon reverted to an egg after those events and Gennai apparently did something to every egg of the Adventure digimon, so it doesn't necessarily contradict the idea that digimon partners are intentionally tailored for each human partner.