A bit of Kizuna...

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, if you haven't already seen Kizuna, this is a fair warning that themes from the film itself will be discussed herein.

Anywho, I was pondering Kizuna's ending on my way home today, but in particular, in relation to Kari and Gatomon. Gatomon as we know is able to sustain herself in her Champion form and rarely reverts to her Champion stage. That said. This trait isn't necessarily unique amongst Digimon, even partnered ones, though for our core cast it is. Nevertheless, one of the key mechanics of digivolution, in particular of our core cast, is that on average, their partners revert to their Child states after achieving and sustaining a higher level during battle.

How this relates to Kizuna, perhaps it has been discussed before, but perhaps it hasn't, anyway, I suspect that after a while our Chosen Children were unable to sustain the Child state. Unable to sustain that state, the rest of the line falls apart. Some never going beyond that state as is the case with Menoa, but more broadly applied, what are the ramifications for any and all Chosen Children? I'm hopeful that the 02 film will address the matter in some way, because the theme of Neverland/Narnia/Dream Land are indeed curious for a franchise where the partners rarely remain in a fixed higher state.

Which brings me to Gatomon. Kari has always been the most mature of the group, and for that matter, sustains Gatomon at the Adult level. Would Kari's bond potentially be the exception and possible means to reversing the dissolution trend?

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It doesn’t fit because Kizuna was a series of retcons that decontextualized the very existing nature of Chosen/Digimon partnerships. Digimon can’t be a symbol of maturity and growth of the soul realized AND childish imaginary friends that vanish in adulthood because the two concepts fundamentally conflict with each other at the most basic point of conception.

That said, Tailmon’s origin (went through trauma and training that allowed her to mature on her own) paints her as just fundamentally independent of her human in a way we never saw in the story from any other character (background kids with adults nonwithstanding)

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon can’t be a symbol of maturity and growth of the soul realized AND childish imaginary friends that vanish in adulthood because the two concepts fundamentally conflict with each other at the most basic point of conception.

While I would have agreed, I think that the two can coexist.

Tai and Co. no longer have need to project those relationships/goals/virtues externally at their varying stages. They are able to observe within themselves the core bond of those relationships. Tai is able to be courageous, Sora to truly love, and so on and so forth. It's not that they, per se, cease to be, but that the bond transformed and is now actualized in a self sustaining fixed state. There is no more waxing and waning, hence the inability to revert and sustain the Rookie state. They have become perfect in their respective virtues. Whether that means they all achieve Bond forms is a matter of debate, but nevertheless, it's just one means of signaling that change.

This is why I *personally* hold to the headcanon that the partner Digimon return once they have children. Not because they rediscover their inner child, but because they're obligated to relate to and guide those with a unique and particular bond to them. This might explain why their children are all partnered with the Fresh II and Rookie stages of their respective partners. Well, that might be giving the producers too much credit...

So some form of Agu-Greymon will always be a part of Tai. This is unrelated, given that they're in different universes, but this is why I have always liked the concept of Spirit Evolution and the lore of Frontier in relation to the 10 Legendary Warriors. Tamers did something similar, but not in as meaningful a manner in my opinion. The Bond forms are who Agumon and Gabumon truly are. They achieved a potential beyond Jogress and Mega, which were themselves forms that were impermanent. There was no going back from the Bond forms. As it were, they're like a Guardian Angel, they remain with the person from conception til their death, but they're not always visible, even if always present. So they (Tai, Matt, Sora...) became who they were intended to become, and thus they no longer needed to interact with their partner in a visible manner, because they had become habituated in their particular virtues. It bums me out that we don't get a goodbye, proper, between Sora and Biyomon. If anyone deserved a Bond form, it would have been Sora. I think as a final send off, the format of Tri should have been applied onto Kizuna. Have them ALL face off in such a way that would test their bond with their partners. I would have taken Maki, or Meiko in the role of Menoa. So as opposed to Omnimon Merciful Mode, their Bond forms.

That said, Tailmon’s origin (went through trauma and training that allowed her to mature on her own) paints her as just fundamentally independent of her human in a way we never saw in the story from any other character (background kids with adults nonwithstanding)
And yet, Gatomon while being a Champion is treated in an ambiguous manner. It's often forgotten that she's a Champion. She's treated as a more experienced Rookie. 02 didn't know what to do with her, which is why it vacilated in how it treated her level between Armor and Jogress stages. Gennai later cites the uniqueness of her Tail Ring in the grand scheme of things, which is likely why they kept the 02 cast out of the story in both Tri and Kizuna.

You mean child, not Champion.

Right.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And yet, Gatomon while being a Champion is treated in an ambiguous manner. It's often forgotten that she's a Champion. She's treated as a more experienced Rookie. 02 didn't know what to do with her, which is why it vacilated in how it treated her level between Armor and Jogress stages. Gennai later cites the uniqueness of her Tail Ring in the grand scheme of things, which is likely why they kept the 02 cast out of the story in both Tri and Kizuna.
Tailmon had a marketable design so it was used instead of a Child stage. I don’t think it’s more complex than that.

In universe Hikari and Tailmon have an interesting relationship since they seem like the least interdependent/co dependent partnership. While they enjoy being together one gets the distinct impression that they don’t NEED to be together and would be fine living life separately. The XrosWars manga interpretation of their relationship depicting an amniable dissolution of their partnership so Tailmon can go live with the revived Wizarmon rings truer to me than anything in Kizuna.

If anything, I always kind of felt that Hikari and many other international Chosen having Adult partners kind of implied that the 01/02 gang aside from her might be somewhat stunted in their growth (their partners being so scared of change that they remained in their Child forms longer than they should’ve)